Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 2620304 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #7000 on: November 26, 2019, 09:36:54 PM »
MPP: My spreadsheet has too many tabs.

Budget Data Entry
Budget/Bank Reconciliation
Taxes
Net Worth
Contributions v Gains
Vehicle Mileage
Credit Rewards
HSA
DS's College
Income Statement
Charts

I end up making a new spreadsheet for everything instead of a new tab... Probably not the best organization system.
[/quote
I make a new spreadsheet for each row

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • Insert Snappy Title Here (Journal)
« Reply #7001 on: November 27, 2019, 03:04:00 AM »
Yeah? Well my spreadsheet is bigger than your spreadsheet!

;-)

Fomerly known as something

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7002 on: November 27, 2019, 05:10:00 AM »
I've been trying to re balance my taxable accounts since this summer when I decided to beef up my emergency cash by about $10,000 leaving them seriously out of alignment.  But none of my lots has a loss in them making any move between account a taxable event.  With the market on a tear right now any new money I put in isn't making a dent in the imbalance. 

NorCal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7003 on: November 27, 2019, 08:41:17 AM »

Budget Data Entry
Taxes
Net Worth
Contributions v Gains
Vehicle Mileage
Credit Rewards
HSA
DS's College
Income Statement
Charts

My MPP is that I just realized I had a problem.  My spreadsheet has 40 sheets...

As the official Corporate Finance dweller, I declare your spreadsheet doesn't have a problem until it takes a full coffee break to recalculate.

Cool Friend

• Bristles
« Reply #7004 on: November 27, 2019, 08:52:50 AM »
So AT&T decided to upgrade my data plan and charge me $5/month extra for it, without my permission. It was a good deal if you're a person who uses a lot of data, but I don't, so I don't need it.  So I called them up to get them to remove it, and while I had them on the phone, we talked about upgrading my phone which is old and not working great.  They gave me a good offer for an iPhone XR for $5/month for 30 months ($150 total, a pretty good deal), but I don't like to make impulse purchases so I gave myself 24 hours to think about it.  They told me the offer had no expiration date.  Literally 24 hours later and not only is the offer not available, they're acting like it never existed.  I went on the website and saw the deal there, it absolutely existed.

Fucking telecom companies, man.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7005 on: November 27, 2019, 08:57:57 AM »

Budget Data Entry
Taxes
Net Worth
Contributions v Gains
Vehicle Mileage
Credit Rewards
HSA
DS's College
Income Statement
Charts

My MPP is that I just realized I had a problem.  My spreadsheet has 40 sheets...

As the official Corporate Finance dweller, I declare your spreadsheet doesn't have a problem until it takes a full coffee break to recalculate.
What are you doing with it? Simulating Minecraft that runs a redstone Excel?

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7006 on: November 27, 2019, 12:08:53 PM »
You gotta give up the beige box computer man... You need a newer Mint Linux machine... ;)

Alternatepriorities

• Bristles
  • Engineer, explorer, investor, blogger
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7007 on: November 27, 2019, 12:23:10 PM »
So AT&T decided to upgrade my data plan and charge me $5/month extra for it, without my permission. It was a good deal if you're a person who uses a lot of data, but I don't, so I don't need it.  So I called them up to get them to remove it, and while I had them on the phone, we talked about upgrading my phone which is old and not working great.  They gave me a good offer for an iPhone XR for $5/month for 30 months ($150 total, a pretty good deal), but I don't like to make impulse purchases so I gave myself 24 hours to think about it.  They told me the offer had no expiration date.  Literally 24 hours later and not only is the offer not available, they're acting like it never existed.  I went on the website and saw the deal there, it absolutely existed.

Fucking telecom companies, man.

They did that on my family plan as well and insisted I could not change it back because the plan we were on no longer exists. None of the plans they currently offer are better deals than the adjusted price. To make it more annoying it is virtually impossible to find someone at customer service who understands the implications of having all our phones paid off so none of them can accurately predict our bill on a new plan...

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7008 on: November 27, 2019, 12:31:33 PM »

Budget Data Entry
Taxes
Net Worth
Contributions v Gains
Vehicle Mileage
Credit Rewards
HSA
DS's College
Income Statement
Charts

I've certainly run a few Solver functions that took 10+ minutes to run for my work. I can't imagine my finances ever needing to be that complicated. But give me enough time tinkering with them, and I'm sure that I'll find a way eventually.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7009 on: November 27, 2019, 12:59:13 PM »
I burned the edges of the crust on my pumpkin pie this morning! Oh noes! I guess we'll just have to bake another pie*....

*Meanwhile, back at the lab, we'll just break the overly toasted edge off and enjoy the pie anyway.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7010 on: November 27, 2019, 01:29:43 PM »
My dad is a dinosaur.

I thought the Donkey f***** the Dragon at the end of Shrek but whatevs.

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7011 on: November 30, 2019, 08:42:09 PM »

Budget Data Entry
Taxes
Net Worth
Contributions v Gains
Vehicle Mileage
Credit Rewards
HSA
DS's College
Income Statement
Charts

What are you doing with it? Simulating Minecraft that runs a redstone Excel?

I'm a programmer.  I once had to make Excel create a swimlane calendar based on a list of events that refreshed out of Sharepoint every week.  It took 600-800 events and created textboxes for them and then ran logic to place them in the right cell and not on top of each other.  Early iterations of it took an hour and a half to run.

My personal finances workbook takes a yearly budget and generates a projected checking register out of it.  It takes about 10 minutes to run.  Some of the reports take about that ling.  I need to look into optimizating those.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 08:45:25 PM by Sugaree »

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7012 on: December 01, 2019, 12:15:38 PM »
I have an oddball sized family room downstairs. Right now it is kind of junked up and I am sick of it and want to get rid of just about everything and refurnish it. The problem is that the room is retangular shaped. It is almost like two rooms with no wall in the middle. One side is small and has a fireplace, the other side is bigger and about 4 feet wider. I have tried to arrange furniture around the fireplace but it is a small area and also there was a big screen tv. If I arrange the furniture on the larger side, what do I do with the fireplace side. It is really too hot to sit in front of the fireplace. There is really only one full wall on the small side and the larger side. There are windows half way up and a shelf under the windows. This room makes me nuts! At one point in time we had a pool table on the larger side. It never got used so we got rid of it. I kind of want to make it a simple sitting room with two really comfortable recliners, maybe a love seat a small table or two and a large screen tv. Maybe a table with a coffeemaker and supplies I really need some kind of a computer program to figure out how to arrange the furniture. I also have considered a pull out bed in a sofa. Is there some kind of a computer program anyone knows of?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7013 on: December 01, 2019, 12:30:09 PM »
I really need some kind of a computer program to figure out how to arrange the furniture.

All you need is some graph paper, pencils, a ruler, some 3x5 card stock and scissors.   Low tech and cheap for the win.

Zoot

• Bristles
« Reply #7014 on: December 01, 2019, 12:51:12 PM »
I really need some kind of a computer program to figure out how to arrange the furniture. I also have considered a pull out bed in a sofa. Is there some kind of a computer program anyone knows of?

I used http://www.planyourroom.com/ when I was trying to figure out how to re-arrange my living room.  A bit clunky, but it did the trick, and it's free!

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #7015 on: December 01, 2019, 01:32:01 PM »
DH missed 2 weeks of work because of a minor surgery, and it messed up the 401-K calculations for the year :-(  I ended up putting some $ in a Roth to meet the plan.  Not the best for our tax bracket lol!

PhilB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7016 on: December 02, 2019, 10:38:41 AM »
I really need some kind of a computer program to figure out how to arrange the furniture.

All you need is some graph paper, pencils, a ruler, some 3x5 card stock and scissors.   Low tech and cheap for the win.
Been there, done that.  Nowadays I tend to just use an Excel sheet with the cells made square and insert shapes of appropriate size that can then be dragged, rotated etc.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7017 on: December 02, 2019, 04:31:40 PM »

Been there, done that.  Nowadays I tend to just use an Excel sheet with the cells made square and insert shapes of appropriate size that can then be dragged, rotated etc.

Iíve done that for tile layout but for rooms Iím more likely to do simple lockupís in google sketch up.  That way I itís 3D and I can pan around to see how things look from different angles

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7018 on: December 03, 2019, 10:53:45 AM »
https://www.qcad.org/en/

https://librecad.org

I've used both with good results for various projects.

There are free 3D CAD software projects. FreeCAD3D is one I use. ONSHAPE CAD is another.

Taran Wanderer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7019 on: December 03, 2019, 10:56:09 PM »
DW just messed up my retirement calculations by telling me her work pension could be $3,000 per month if she works until the early retirement age, in her case 58. Thatís a ways away so maybe she wonít work that long, but thatís a whole additional income stream that I didnít even have on my radar. Based on the 4% rule, that would equate to another $900,000 in NW at that time. Now I need to go recalculate our future NW and income projections.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7020 on: December 03, 2019, 10:59:39 PM »
DW just messed up my retirement calculations by telling me her work pension could be $3,000 per month if she works until the early retirement age, in her case 58. Thatís a ways away so maybe she wonít work that long, but thatís a whole additional income stream that I didnít even have on my radar. Based on the 4% rule, that would equate to another $900,000 in NW at that time. Now I need to go recalculate our future NW and income projections.

I would never count a pension until it's locked in.   And even then, maybe not.

Fomerly known as something

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7021 on: December 04, 2019, 04:45:56 AM »

I have a pension, I do count it even though it is not locked in.  Mainly because it will be a good size and is part of my plan.  While it is a large factor in my current calculations I also realize it in theory could "disappear."  So my plan also includes being able to cover life without it, a not so luxurious life but still better than a just the basics one.   

PhilB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7022 on: December 04, 2019, 05:13:12 AM »
That is a serious amount of loose change to find down the back of the sofa!

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7023 on: December 04, 2019, 06:42:02 AM »
That is a serious amount of loose change to find down the back of the sofa!

Right? I am vacillating between admiration and jealousy!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7024 on: December 04, 2019, 06:48:50 AM »

When you say locked in, are you talking about it being vested?

My wife just recently became vested in her pension, and I've gone back and forth on including it in calculations. Our state's pension is 97% funded, so there's no worry about troubles down the road. However, if we both were to quit working when we hit FI, the combined value in both of our pensions would be ~$300k by the time we are eligible to withdraw from them at 60. And that's in nominal dollars, so...$150k in 2019 dollars or so?

It's not going to make or break our retirement, but I'm still going to include it in calculations to be thorough.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7025 on: December 04, 2019, 08:12:53 AM »

When you say locked in, are you talking about it being vested?

My wife just recently became vested in her pension, and I've gone back and forth on including it in calculations. Our state's pension is 97% funded, so there's no worry about troubles down the road. However, if we both were to quit working when we hit FI, the combined value in both of our pensions would be ~$300k by the time we are eligible to withdraw from them at 60. And that's in nominal dollars, so...$150k in 2019 dollars or so?

It's not going to make or break our retirement, but I'm still going to include it in calculations to be thorough.

Yes, I meant vested.  And the secondary comment was about underfunding, so it looks like you're covered on both bases.  Congrats!

Taran Wanderer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7026 on: December 04, 2019, 07:27:39 PM »

She is vested now and would get around $1,400 per month at some point in the future (age 60 or so) if she stopped working now.  Of course, that assumes the State is solvent and can pay the full benefit at that time.  If she works until 58, then she would get the full benefit of about $3,000 per month, but this could be more if her salary increases.

Whether it's either of these, or less or more, it's all basically gravy on top of a pile of mashed potatoes that we have in other places, but hey, I like gravy!

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #7027 on: Today at 10:52:46 AM »
Our apartment is very sunny and on the top floor, both features we greatly appreciate. The downside is that it can get pretty hot, especially in the summer. We pay a lot in electricity during the summer months to run window units just enough to keep it a barely-tolerable 80 degrees inside.

Now that it's winter, we would be totally ready to save on the heat and let it be cold. Except the heat is included in our rent, and even with all our radiators off, the two steam pipes we don't control leave our apartment almost as hot as the summer. So not only is our apartment uncomfortably warm, we wouldn't save anything if it weren't. :P

trashtalk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7028 on: Today at 11:52:32 AM »
Our pledge to the school "jogathon" was so large that the organizers called us repeatedly to confirm that we understood the basic principles of multiplication (# of laps x $ per lap = $$$).

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7029 on: Today at 03:04:27 PM »
Our pledge to the school "jogathon" was so large that the organizers called us repeatedly to confirm that we understood the basic principles of multiplication (# of laps x $ per lap = $$$).

Good for you!

Mighty Eyebrows

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7030 on: Today at 07:15:46 PM »
https://www.qcad.org/en/

https://librecad.org

I've used both with good results for various projects.

There are free 3D CAD software projects. FreeCAD3D is one I use. ONSHAPE CAD is another.
While both of those are excellent programs, they are quite technical to learn. If someone is just doing some room layout or basic home planning, something like SweetHome3D might be quicker to learn:

http://www.sweethome3d.com/

(also free/open source)