Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5137451 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #9350 on: July 17, 2022, 06:35:21 PM »
I refuse to upgrade the version of office I use, so I just spent the whole day switching 3 email accounts out of Outlook and onto Thunderbird. Probably followed in the future by switching the parent's.

Am too cheap to justify buying office JUST for outlook.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #9351 on: July 18, 2022, 08:28:11 PM »
I refuse to upgrade the version of office I use, so I just spent the whole day switching 3 email accounts out of Outlook and onto Thunderbird. Probably followed in the future by switching the parent's.

I believe there are now free versions of most of the microsoft office programs.  They don't have all the capabilities of the paid versions, but that's okay for most people's use.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9352 on: July 19, 2022, 06:35:32 AM »

I believe there are now free versions of most of the microsoft office programs.  They don't have all the capabilities of the paid versions, but that's okay for most people's use.
Nah, just use LIbreOffice and if someone complains, tell them to use a program that is free, free and does not uses a standard that says "must behave like the bug in Word 95".

I am currently working a lot with Word documents, and it's still as it was 20 years ago: Once you get above 30 pages, it starts to have the wierdest errors and glitches. Like inner document links that refresh to the correct chapter if you press F9, but always show "chapter 0" after you closed and restarted. Had to rewrite the chapter, just replacing the link did not solve it.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9353 on: July 19, 2022, 07:21:39 AM »
I bought my wife a mac mini in 2013 when we expected to live apart for a few months for work (I took our iMac with me). She kept bugging me for years after that to get a workable copy of office on that mac mini so she wouldn't keep having to import .doc files into some other program. I just never got to it.

Last week, she announced the mac mini was no longer usable. Too old and clunky. So the problem worked itself out!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9354 on: July 19, 2022, 08:45:56 AM »

Nah, just use LIbreOffice and if someone complains, tell them to use a program that is free, free and does not uses a standard that says "must behave like the bug in Word 95".

I am currently working a lot with Word documents, and it's still as it was 20 years ago: Once you get above 30 pages, it starts to have the wierdest errors and glitches. Like inner document links that refresh to the correct chapter if you press F9, but always show "chapter 0" after you closed and restarted. Had to rewrite the chapter, just replacing the link did not solve it.

Why would I switch off of word and excel to a free version when I already own office 2010? It's far easier just to ditch outlook than to ditch all of Office.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9355 on: July 19, 2022, 09:17:57 AM »

Why would I switch off of word and excel to a free version when I already own office 2010? It's far easier just to ditch outlook than to ditch all of Office.

Is this for an actual office or could you just use gmail?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9356 on: July 19, 2022, 10:11:02 AM »

Is this for an actual office or could you just use gmail?

I'm still wondering why everyone is trying to overcomplicate this? I own Office 2010. I don't need to go to any of the freeware versions. This is just my home computer. I have 3 email accounts. Work is entirely separate and I just use what they give me.

aol - left over from when I was a kid, I don't use it, but it's handy to have an email address when I have to give one out so I don't get deluged with spam on my primary email. Also, my parents use aol so it's helpful to have an account that I can reference/test with.
gmail - this is my professional email.
live.com (basically a microsoft acct) - this is my main email account.

Outlook 2010 doesn't connect in an acceptable way for gmail or, as of a few weeks from now, my live email. That's 2 of my 3 accounts. I'm not buying a new version of Office because 2010 works just fine for what I need at home, and I do not want to mess with the subscription services. Nor am I messing with 2 different programs. I want all my email accounts in one place.

No, I'm not going through the hassle of changing my primary email address. It look me years to get everything off aol, it would be far worse now. I already spent the time to switch to Thunderbird, it seems to be working fine. The interface is a little clunky, but it's free, I'll adjust. It's not like Outlook is all that wonderful.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9357 on: July 19, 2022, 11:41:23 AM »
@Sibley -- I have no advice, just sympathy for your MPP!

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9358 on: July 20, 2022, 06:03:13 AM »
Use whatever office and email solutions work for you!

For me, I've been using Google Docs + Gmail for everything personal, for nearly a decade and a half. I find it super-convenient that it's "in the cloud" and available from any device at any time, without having to worry about software versions.  There's no software I need to worry about having (other than a web browser!)

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #9359 on: July 20, 2022, 08:58:54 AM »
Not sure if this is a MPP, but here it is, hopefully someone will get a chuckle.

I generally try to arrange our finances so that we owe the IRS instead of getting a refund (since achieving zero seems to be impossible).  Then come tax time I would send in an echeck (via the IRS treasury website).  No problem, except that this is the IRS and DH and I are filing Married Filing Jointly and we all know this is a rare filing status....

So on the taxes DH is listed first, but we are both listed.  I do the check writing.  Since it is an echeck via the IRS treasury website, it is done via my SSN, which is listed on all documentation, you know, parted of the married filing jointly part. 

Well every so often, with DH being listed first, and me sending in the echeck, the IRS doesn't know to apply the check to OUR taxes and we get a bill (with all the fees etc).  They totally cash the check, maybe its a donation for the amount we owe?  It isn't often, just twice in the last 15 years, but then again, I've only been doing the echeck (instead of physical check) for maybe 5 or 6 of those years.  2/5, 1/3? 

Its such a fun game we play. 

Loren

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9360 on: July 20, 2022, 09:56:08 AM »
@Loren Ver ,

Was going to be out of the country for a year, so did the taxes on time (a rarity!) and sent the IRS a check for $3654.

Wife joined me out of country for the summer.  She gets home and there's a notice from the IRS that we owe the taxes, penalties, and because we didn't pay in time, we didn't qualify for a special tax cut that year.

I check the bank online and discover the IRS had cashed that $3654 check for $36.54.  (The machine that did it printed $36.54 on the back in tiny print.)

I call the IRS to resolve it.   They aren't interested.   Then I explain that I have a canceled check from my bank that shows I paid the taxes in full.

So they have two options.   They can let me be a good citizen and pay the difference to fix their mistake, or I can insist I've already paid in full and I've got a check they cashed to prove it.   Which would they like?

They decided me being a good citizen was the better option.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #9361 on: July 20, 2022, 10:16:27 AM »
@Loren Ver ,

Was going to be out of the country for a year, so did the taxes on time (a rarity!) and sent the IRS a check for $3654.

Wife joined me out of country for the summer.  She gets home and there's a notice from the IRS that we owe the taxes, penalties, and because we didn't pay in time, we didn't qualify for a special tax cut that year.

I check the bank online and discover the IRS had cashed that $3654 check for $36.54.  (The machine that did it printed $36.54 on the back in tiny print.)

I call the IRS to resolve it.   They aren't interested.   Then I explain that I have a canceled check from my bank that shows I paid the taxes in full.

So they have two options.   They can let me be a good citizen and pay the difference to fix their mistake, or I can insist I've already paid in full and I've got a check they cashed to prove it.   Which would they like?

They decided me being a good citizen was the better option.
Reminds me of when I was tasked with setting up insurance-company's end of our brand new roadside assistance 800 number. We had hired a vendor to handle the calls and dispatch, but they needed to verify policy limits and such to do that. Built the screen for them to scrape (I was just out of school and manager said to do it this way when I suggested a web service). And a batch job to retrieve a file with the amounts actually paid for any services rendered that happened. Development and testing done everything seemingly works as expected.

Go to production and the very first return file is showing a bunch of 50 and 75 cent tows - the digits in vendor's process shifted from where they were supposed to be regarding policy limits. And from where they were during the extensive QA testing that had happened before we went live. So that was a fun scramble to figure out and get them to correct. Amusing to think about "what if that was accurate data" - commute to work by calling a tow truck would be quite economical.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9362 on: July 20, 2022, 10:52:50 AM »
Not sure if this is a MPP, but here it is, hopefully someone will get a chuckle.

I generally try to arrange our finances so that we owe the IRS instead of getting a refund (since achieving zero seems to be impossible).  Then come tax time I would send in an echeck (via the IRS treasury website).  No problem, except that this is the IRS and DH and I are filing Married Filing Jointly and we all know this is a rare filing status....

So on the taxes DH is listed first, but we are both listed.  I do the check writing.  Since it is an echeck via the IRS treasury website, it is done via my SSN, which is listed on all documentation, you know, parted of the married filing jointly part. 

Well every so often, with DH being listed first, and me sending in the echeck, the IRS doesn't know to apply the check to OUR taxes and we get a bill (with all the fees etc).  They totally cash the check, maybe its a donation for the amount we owe?  It isn't often, just twice in the last 15 years, but then again, I've only been doing the echeck (instead of physical check) for maybe 5 or 6 of those years.  2/5, 1/3? 

Loren

I often pay taxes with visa gift cards and since you are limited to 2 payments per SSN I sometimes need to do 2 for me and 2 for my wife.  We file jointly and they’ve never failed to transfer over “her” payments but it doesn’t happen until after the IRS accepts our return.  Until then I have to log into each of our IRS accounts to ensure it was properly received

That said, it usually makes sense for married couples to use a joint checking account for such things

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9363 on: July 20, 2022, 12:51:50 PM »

Loren

I often pay taxes with visa gift cards and since you are limited to 2 payments per SSN I sometimes need to do 2 for me and 2 for my wife.  We file jointly and they’ve never failed to transfer over “her” payments but it doesn’t happen until after the IRS accepts our return.  Until then I have to log into each of our IRS accounts to ensure it was properly received

That said, it usually makes sense for married couples to use a joint checking account for such things

Why the visa gift cards? There must be some benefit, because otherwise you're creating a lot more work for yourself.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9364 on: July 20, 2022, 09:16:01 PM »
Money.  It’s effectively a 5-7.5% discount on my taxes

Spoiler because People might be tired of seeing me post the details:

Spoiler: show
have chase freedom card, buy $1500 VGC at grocery store during that quarter for $1518 or less, get 7500 points worth $112.5 when transferred to the chase reserve card.  Pay like $2.55 per debit transaction on one of the three official tax payment processors.  Net $86 for my trouble.  Sometimes there’s a promotion for no fee gift cards or double grocery rewards points or other offset to the initial purchase fee.  Alternatively buy GC at staples using my chase ink cash for 5% 

Is it super worth it? Not always but it’s maybe a few minutes of extra work for free money

« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 09:23:43 PM by dragoncar »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #9365 on: July 21, 2022, 09:08:26 AM »
@SwordGuy okay, that is even funnier.  Nice of them to agree to let you be a good citizen since, you know, you have the proof. :D.

For us, it is usually just a phone call (by me, or now by CPA) where the IRS person goes, oh yes I can see the money was sent in but not applied because the SSN was not the first number on the form (or some such non-sense).

Sure, I could just have DH do it, or fill it out under his information but: 1) I do the finances, and they get done on time and when I want them to get done and 2) They make you check boxes that state that you are the you that is doing the doing, then sign.  Which means my SSN is going to be the one, if I am the one filling out the info,  3) Have my SSN put first, but meh, its always been him first, he's older and use to fill out the taxes so listed himself first.

The system needs to be less dumb.

LV

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9366 on: July 21, 2022, 01:56:51 PM »

LV

The IRS?  Never gonna happen.  They thought my co-worker was dead and held his refund for three years.  Apparently, this is a big enough problem that there is a protocol in place to get it fixed.  Except that it's not a quick process.  At least they pay a tiny bit of interest when they do that. 

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #9367 on: July 21, 2022, 02:31:28 PM »

LV

The IRS?  Never gonna happen.  They thought my co-worker was dead and held his refund for three years.  Apparently, this is a big enough problem that there is a protocol in place to get it fixed.  Except that it's not a quick process.  At least they pay a tiny bit of interest when they do that.

So, are you exempt from paying until you, um, recover?  If so, it might not be a bad deal :D. 

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9368 on: July 21, 2022, 09:15:22 PM »
Personal capital bizarrely had an account reading $0 when it was not $0 for a couple weeks and now I have that inaccuracy making it really hard to determine what days the market was up or down, and how I'm doing relative to the market. Its pretty much going to ruin my entire 2022 of joyful peeking.

Tempname23

• Stubble
« Reply #9369 on: July 25, 2022, 04:44:19 PM »

I have no idea what I’m looking at. I probably would have asked the receptionist to use a higher resolution card

I made several attempts to get a good picture, I agree it's bad.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9370 on: July 30, 2022, 09:46:09 AM »
We are on vacation. We brought our backpacks and have walked at least 8 miles a day so far rather than pay for ground transportation. We agreed that part of this would be to buy a yoga mat. DH chose the cheapest, thinking the only difference was thickness. It is more like a slip and slide than anything I have done yoga on before. So now we get to walk back to the store, return this, and pay for the more expensive one.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9371 on: August 03, 2022, 09:13:53 PM »
I put business spending on a credit card for a bonus, the card also has 0% apr for 15 months. Instead of paying off the $5k I transferred it into the savings account I had to open to apply for the credit card (Gesa credit union) and set up auto pay to pay the minimum for the next 12 months, because the savings account pays 4.98% interest. I'll try to set up Astra to fill up the account as it's drawn down to keep it at the $5k level, as that's the max balance that gets the 5%
It's already annoying me to have a balance when all I have to do is *nothing* for the next year, then pay it off with the last payment. And make about $250.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9372 on: August 04, 2022, 06:04:47 AM »
I put business spending on a credit card for a bonus, the card also has 0% apr for 15 months. Instead of paying off the $5k I transferred it into the savings account I had to open to apply for the credit card (Gesa credit union) and set up auto pay to pay the minimum for the next 12 months, because the savings account pays 4.98% interest. I'll try to set up Astra to fill up the account as it's drawn down to keep it at the $5k level, as that's the max balance that gets the 5%
It's already annoying me to have a balance when all I have to do is *nothing* for the next year, then pay it off with the last payment. And make about $250.

Yeah, I used to do things like that... But I stopped.  Even with things like Google Calendar Reminders -- it was too much "work" for me to keep tabs on things like that.  Shorter term signup-bonuses are still worth it... But having to remember (or be reminded) to do something a year in the future isn't worth 250 for me. YMMV.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9373 on: August 09, 2022, 08:34:50 AM »

Yeah, I used to do things like that... But I stopped.  Even with things like Google Calendar Reminders -- it was too much "work" for me to keep tabs on things like that.  Shorter term signup-bonuses are still worth it... But having to remember (or be reminded) to do something a year in the future isn't worth 250 for me. YMMV.
I guess it does (vary)!
I have another auto transfer setup that will net a whopping $100 after 1 year and another that will net $240 after a year.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9374 on: August 09, 2022, 02:33:09 PM »
I have 400 CHF in gift cards, but I can only think of 1 item we really need.

Could you donate the gift card to a charity, or use it to buy something needed by a charity? Around here, small organizations like schools or youth groups or church food pantries often have amazon wish lists.

Siebrie

• Stubble
« Reply #9375 on: August 19, 2022, 03:17:37 AM »
In Belgium, they retroactively raised the 'travel for work' reimbursement. Now, I have to redo the expense report for the 2 days in March that I represented our company at a fair, which totalled around €5, to add ~€1.30. My boss insists.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9376 on: August 19, 2022, 04:12:55 AM »
Got next week's leave and earnings statement.  Tax withholding is off for both federal and state by a not-insignificant amount.  Both are 6-8% lower than they should be.  Now I've got to track down why my spreadsheet isn't right.  I've already gone back through the Pub 15-T worksheet this morning and it matches the spreadsheet.  Or figure out if this is a payroll screw up and if they are going to fix it going forward.  Otherwise I need to make some withholding adjustments.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9377 on: August 19, 2022, 06:18:14 AM »
In Belgium, they retroactively raised the 'travel for work' reimbursement. Now, I have to redo the expense report for the 2 days in March that I represented our company at a fair, which totalled around €5, to add ~€1.30. My boss insists.
That's probably a legal matter. Don't want you to sue them.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9378 on: August 19, 2022, 10:34:01 AM »
I didn't realize this would be ambiguous. I originally meant AT&T vs Mint Mobile.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9379 on: August 19, 2022, 10:45:57 AM »
I didn't realize this would be ambiguous. I originally meant AT&T vs Mint Mobile.

It wasn't that ambiguous. Just enough to allow the reader to jump over to the other one. Makes for more fun, sometimes!

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #9380 on: August 19, 2022, 11:08:03 AM »
Got next week's leave and earnings statement.  Tax withholding is off for both federal and state by a not-insignificant amount.  Both are 6-8% lower than they should be.  Now I've got to track down why my spreadsheet isn't right.  I've already gone back through the Pub 15-T worksheet this morning and it matches the spreadsheet.  Or figure out if this is a payroll screw up and if they are going to fix it going forward.  Otherwise I need to make some withholding adjustments.

Back in the day, I used https://www.paycheckcity.com/calculator to figure out what my paystub was supposed to look like.  When changes happened (like if I changed withholding), I'd take a recent paystub and put my numbers in the calculator until they matched, then change the number of allowances to see what the new paystub should be.

I know the W-4 stuff has changed since then; it looks like the site can do both old style and new style.

It was usually accurate to within a penny for me.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9381 on: August 19, 2022, 01:26:23 PM »

Back in the day, I used https://www.paycheckcity.com/calculator to figure out what my paystub was supposed to look like.  When changes happened (like if I changed withholding), I'd take a recent paystub and put my numbers in the calculator until they matched, then change the number of allowances to see what the new paystub should be.

I know the W-4 stuff has changed since then; it looks like the site can do both old style and new style.

It was usually accurate to within a penny for me.

I've been using this spreadsheet for 3+ years now and 98% of the time it's accurate within a few pennies.  When it's off, it's usually because payroll screwed up.  Which is also what I've come to conclude has happened here. 

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #9382 on: August 19, 2022, 03:22:50 PM »
One year i was paid .01 less than my annual contract with how the pay periods were allocated.  (Ex. $24,999.99 instead of $25,000).  It so irritated me, that “penny” irritated me for far too long beyond any utility it would have given me, even among the most mustachians of proportions.  It was a small firm with weird office politics, and I had been just given a substantial raise effective January 1, so it didn’t seem reasonable to raise it.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9383 on: August 22, 2022, 07:26:25 AM »
Mystery solved.  The 2022 withhholding tables weren't loaded until about the third pay period at the beginning of the year.  Normally, this isn't a big deal and payroll just lets it ride and everything comes out in the wash when taxes are filed.  However, some kind of internal leave code changed and anyone who had taken a specific type of leave in 2021 or 2022 had their withholding retroactively "fixed." 

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9384 on: August 22, 2022, 10:44:26 AM »
wife saw an unusual deposit from IRS into our account. 10x what we were expecting (should have been a couple of 'reds).
checked the "Where's my Refund" site, said that we'll be getting a letter that we made a mistake.
We're intrigued by this "mistake" but we suspect it is the HTKO (a complicated topic with quit a few rules open to interpretation). We had our return filed by a firm that specializes in foreign tax and works on expat returns. Wife works for them part-time in peak seasons.
The value isn't significant to affect our lifestyle; but the suspense is building... CPA wife can't believe this is a mistake. She thinks the IRS made the mistake; but we ain't complaining. More for the charities we donate to at end of year.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #9385 on: August 22, 2022, 01:24:38 PM »
I just realized my checking account yield has risen to 3% if I complete 10 debit transactions each month. I keep about a $10k balance so I have to do math to figure out if this is a better deal than getting 2% of the transaction amounts as cash back on my favorite credit card. Looks like the breakeven is about $15k in spending per year. But that's on a pre-tax basis, and my credit card doesn't file a 1099 for cash back rewards like my bank does for interest. So maybe I breakeven around $14k spending? If I can put the first $1167 in monthly spending on the credit card, and run all remaining transactions through the debit card, I might be able to optimize both.

See how hard that is having to figure out which financial institution to allow to pay me hundreds of dollars for swiping their card over the other one? Mustachian people problems are real.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9386 on: August 22, 2022, 01:58:03 PM »
wife saw an unusual deposit from IRS into our account. 10x what we were expecting (should have been a couple of 'reds).
checked the "Where's my Refund" site, said that we'll be getting a letter that we made a mistake.
We're intrigued by this "mistake" but we suspect it is the HTKO (a complicated topic with quit a few rules open to interpretation). We had our return filed by a firm that specializes in foreign tax and works on expat returns. Wife works for them part-time in peak seasons.
The value isn't significant to affect our lifestyle; but the suspense is building... CPA wife can't believe this is a mistake. She thinks the IRS made the mistake; but we ain't complaining. More for the charities we donate to at end of year.

Don't spend any of the cash until it's all figured out. Just in case.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9387 on: August 22, 2022, 04:40:53 PM »
I've been thinking more and more and more lately about pulling the rip-cord on the FIRE-chute, as our war-chest has approached Fat-FIRE levels...
and this past week I was given an award of appreciation at work recently (worth ~$500), and in my 1-on-1 with my manager just went over the "schedule" for me, with work/projects planned out for an entire additional calendar year into the future from now.  Maybe I'll be around for that, I don't know.  The handcuffs are not merely gold-plated, with a nice pile of RSUs vesting in 8 out of the 12 months of the year...
But the problem is I don't completely dislike my work or my coworkers, but I don't feel entirely comfortable discussing grandiose plans for me to work on more and more and more projects way out into the future, because the work is very (mentally) exhausting.

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #9388 on: August 22, 2022, 05:15:49 PM »
How much longer would you have to stay? Is what you’re getting a “big deal” to you? Like, would having that extra money or the value of the options meaningfully change your journey?

If not, I’d say quit and do something you love.  Unless this is what you love.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9389 on: August 22, 2022, 06:01:21 PM »
I've been thinking more and more and more lately about pulling the rip-cord on the FIRE-chute, as our war-chest has approached Fat-FIRE levels...
and this past week I was given an award of appreciation at work recently (worth ~$500), and in my 1-on-1 with my manager just went over the "schedule" for me, with work/projects planned out for an entire additional calendar year into the future from now.  Maybe I'll be around for that, I don't know.  The handcuffs are not merely gold-plated, with a nice pile of RSUs vesting in 8 out of the 12 months of the year...
But the problem is I don't completely dislike my work or my coworkers, but I don't feel entirely comfortable discussing grandiose plans for me to work on more and more and more projects way out into the future, because the work is very (mentally) exhausting.
If you are a valued employee, consider dropping down to a four day work week, or a shorter workday (30-32 hours total).  Your boss may be happy to have 75% of you instead of none of you.  It might make the last year more tolerable, and your paycheck will drop less since your are foregoing the portion taxed mosr highly.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9390 on: August 23, 2022, 01:08:37 AM »
If you are a valued employee, consider dropping down to a four day work week, or a shorter workday (30-32 hours total).  Your boss may be happy to have 75% of you instead of none of you.  It might make the last year more tolerable, and your paycheck will drop less since your are foregoing the portion taxed mosr highly.
Yeah, if you are already ready to jump ship, talk about it. Worst case is they fire you and you don't have to make the decision ;)
But more likely they will be happy after a bit of grumpling to be able to talk to you about a replacement (or you going half time). Especially with project work it might be good if they can bring on a replacement that you can train, and the replacement get's the new projects while you taper out with the old ones.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9391 on: August 23, 2022, 04:23:29 AM »
Yeah, if you are already ready to jump ship, talk about it. Worst case is they fire you and you don't have to make the decision ;)
But more likely they will be happy after a bit of grumpling to be able to talk to you about a replacement (or you going half time). Especially with project work it might be good if they can bring on a replacement that you can train, and the replacement get's the new projects while you taper out with the old ones.
This x10. Staying on a while part time can be a great solution for all concerned.  If nothing else, it makes things way less stressful than trying to do a hard handover on everything and is a great way to coast into retirement.  I managed to wangle dropping from 100% to 20% and I'm still doing it nearly four years later!

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9392 on: August 24, 2022, 10:31:51 AM »
My DH gave up driving so we sold his car...for 14K more than it cost new 18 months ago.  My MPP is what, if anything, to do about taxes.  Is it 14K of taxable income?  How to report on 1040?  Would anyone ever know?

First car we've ever made money on so it's my MPP.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #9393 on: August 24, 2022, 11:35:14 AM »
My DH gave up driving so we sold his car...for 14K more than it cost new 18 months ago.  My MPP is what, if anything, to do about taxes.  Is it 14K of taxable income?  How to report on 1040?  Would anyone ever know?

Technically it's a capital gain, reported on Schedule D and subject to capital gains tax rates.  You might be able to adjust your basis and net proceeds by any transaction costs.

The IRS could theoretically find the issue if they did a really deep audit.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc409

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9394 on: August 25, 2022, 06:39:11 AM »

Technically it's a capital gain, reported on Schedule D and subject to capital gains tax rates.  You might be able to adjust your basis and net proceeds by any transaction costs.

If one were to sell a used car later at some point for an amount less than they paid for it, could they deduct it as a capital loss?
Can you deduct depreciation on a personally owned vehicle each year?
Seems like a heads they win, tails you lose, kind of scenario right?

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #9395 on: August 25, 2022, 09:26:38 AM »

If one were to sell a used car later at some point for an amount less than they paid for it, could they deduct it as a capital loss?
This is why I suspect enforcement would never occur. If they nailed you for not paying capital gains on this car, you'd say "great, I'll be adding my gains/losses from private car ownership to my tax forms for the rest of my life." and you'd come out waaaay ahead in the end. Now if you were a business and deducting losses from car ownership anyway, I think you can only fairly count this as a revenue.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9396 on: August 25, 2022, 10:10:42 AM »
In Germany you would not have to pay taxes as long as it's a private sell (one car every few years ok, several cars every year: taxes) and selling more than one year apart. If you sell it inside one year time, it's assumed it was a speculation.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #9397 on: August 25, 2022, 11:25:19 AM »

This is why I suspect enforcement would never occur. If they nailed you for not paying capital gains on this car, you'd say "great, I'll be adding my gains/losses from private car ownership to my tax forms for the rest of my life." and you'd come out waaaay ahead in the end. Now if you were a business and deducting losses from car ownership anyway, I think you can only fairly count this as a revenue.

You cannot deduct personal losses on capital assets.  It's one of the very first sentences in the IRS link I gave.

You cannot deduct depreciation on a personal vehicle unless you're using it for business purposes.

I don't know how the sale of a business vehicle that has been depreciated or has a capital gain works.

Yes, it is a heads they win tails you lose situation for personal capital assets.  But that's what the law is, passed by our elected representatives in Congress.

If you don't like it, raise it to your elected officials.  Comply or not as your conscience demands.

Mighty Eyebrows

• Stubble
« Reply #9398 on: August 25, 2022, 08:01:21 PM »
For anyone in Canada, any "personal use property" has a basic exemption of $1000 ACB for low-priced stuff. Presumably most cars would be selling for more than that. So, yes, it would be a reportable capital gain if it was in Canada.

Ref:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/personal-income/line-12700-capital-gains/completing-schedule-3/personal-use-property.html

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9399 on: August 26, 2022, 04:18:40 PM »
I'm blaming today's MPP on Dicey.  She mentioned somewhere (pandemic hoarding?) that Grocery Outlet has Muir 28 oz organic tomato products on sale for 99 cents.  I don't usually shop at GO, but had an errand today near one so I stopped.  I ended up getting 10 28 oz cans.  The problem?  I enjoy canning but don't eat much jam so my canning is pretty much down to salsa and tomatoes.  No I have no reason to can more tomatoes.  Whatever will I do on Sunday afternoons?