Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5163324 times)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #10400 on: May 03, 2024, 12:41:52 PM »
Having to call to get my credit limit raised to pay for a new roof. Will still pay it off at the end of the month, but want the points. Then having to call again to lower my credit limit to lower the exposure to credit card fraud.

Don't lower your credit limit! Having higher amounts of credit available improves your credit score and doesn't impact your exposure to fraud. As long as you're reporting any fraud in a reasonable timeframe, any decent card issuer will take care of it without cost to you regardless of if you have a $1,000 limit or a $100,000 one.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10401 on: May 03, 2024, 04:59:04 PM »
I took out a home equity loan last year for a down payment on a home ... I've had half the balance saved up sitting in my bank account for months because the loan doesn't allow partial payments. It would have been years before we had the rest saved up. So what did I do? I took a loan from a different account for the other half of the first balance and I'm paying off the first and having accelerated payments for the new smaller 2nd loan.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #10402 on: May 04, 2024, 10:54:35 AM »
Having to call to get my credit limit raised to pay for a new roof. Will still pay it off at the end of the month, but want the points. Then having to call again to lower my credit limit to lower the exposure to credit card fraud.

Don't lower your credit limit! Having higher amounts of credit available improves your credit score and doesn't impact your exposure to fraud. As long as you're reporting any fraud in a reasonable timeframe, any decent card issuer will take care of it without cost to you regardless of if you have a $1,000 limit or a $100,000 one.
I think the problem would be when the issuer, for whatever reason, tries to dispute the fraud. I've read about that is the past on another forum I'm active at. Totally not the fault of the card owner but the bank felt different. Ended up in court and the card owner won, bank appealed but lost again. Lowering your limit also lowers the risk (and it's easier to part ways with 1k than 100k).

That said, I'm not living in the USA so we don't have credit limits etc. All I have is a pre-paid creditcard besides the regular debit card.

crocheted_stache

• Bristles
« Reply #10403 on: May 04, 2024, 01:02:42 PM »
Another week, another hopeful recruiter in my inbox. This one is actually closer to home than my current job and it's also pretty close to my current job/skill set. Posted pay range is 1.5–2x my current salary (base, anyway). It's management-track-light, with some responsibility for project budget (which I imagine I could handle with some guidance) and "mentoring" younger employees, which I do anyway. If I were serious about applying, I'd ask to talk to someone in a similar role and be sure to understand those details.

My MPP, or perhaps more like the recruiter's MPP: I don't want to 2x my salary, especially if it means taking on management duties and feeling obligated to stay longer. I don't particularly want to reduce my bike commute by a third, either. It's just right, right now.

Anyway, I like most of the people I work with now, and I've kind of always had in mind that where I am now is my last pre-RE job*. I should probably honor the (only?) recruiter who's sent me something truly local and relevant with a polite reply, and I'll try to resist insisting that it's because the bike commute is too short.

If there's a post-RE job, it might be volunteer/part time/nonprofit or if in my field, a for-fun project.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10404 on: May 04, 2024, 01:57:58 PM »
Anyway, I like most of the people I work with now, and I've kind of always had in mind that where I am now is my last pre-RE job*. I should probably honor the (only?) recruiter who's sent me something truly local and relevant with a polite reply, and I'll try to resist insisting that it's because the bike commute is too short.

I would love to hear their response if you told them you weren't interested because the salary is too high and the commute is too short.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10405 on: May 05, 2024, 01:03:43 AM »

I would love to hear their response if you told them you weren't interested because the salary is too high and the commute is too short.
I am sure they wil find a way for the money problem and you can always make a detour.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10406 on: May 08, 2024, 10:59:18 AM »
Not sure this is an MPP, or just a "me" problem.
A friend called me a make-do man, a bottom feeder, and a man who sees value where there is none (all compliments).
The issue? My mom had a 2003 Honda Pilot , garage kept and dealer maintained, which she gave to my sister's family in 2019 for their youngest.
They are "bad with car" people, and after driving it a few years they let it sit and are now planning on donating it, and I am thinking that maybe they should donate it to me.
It's suffered a mouse infestation, and subsequent half hearted "clean up", the interior has a fine coating of mold, and the exterior has a combination of green algae and baked on pollen. It was last driven in early '22
But underneath I *know* that it is still a good car.
 I jumped it and it started right up.
I drove and idled it for forty five minutes with no signs of overheating.
Once I pulled the blackberry vines out of the brake calipers it went down the road just fine
With all the windows open (and my mouth clamped shut) l couldn't smell the mice pee at all.
Whywhywhy? I've always been attracted to derelict cars and houses and fixed them up. I bought a '59 bug once that had sat on a reservation for twenty  years, cutting down trees to haul it out, and rebuilt it (it was $50!) I bought houses that were trashed and needed everything, from the foundation up, and rebuilt them.
My idea is that I'll give this to DD, who is graduating from college next month and without a car since her old Avalon was damaged (it's currently waiting for me to fix it but I'm laid up waiting for surgery and not sure when I can get to it)
She could use it to move her stuff. She could use it for a road trip (she's been wanting an Outback  because you can sleep in them).
She's moving to Japan in August on a two year contract teaching English, so I would offer it to my partner's DD, who bought a newer Subaru and is lamenting the payment (I advised her not to, to no avail).
Or I could sell it, or trade it,  or?
It bothers me to see this car go to waste. Am I crazy? My folks have always taken good care of their stuff, and lived frugally, invested in the market, and retired early. Sound familiar? Lol, my sister's fam, let's just say, are a little different. They trash their vehicles and their house is a mess.
With a bit of elbow grease and some routine maintenance this could be a fine vehicle again.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #10407 on: May 08, 2024, 11:04:44 AM »
With a bit of elbow grease and some routine maintenance this could be a fine vehicle again.

I see no problem whatsoever.  In fact, I see a lot of solutions - you're providing value to them by taking it off their hands, value to whomever you give or sell it to, and maybe keeping a car from being junked so helping the environment.

Probably just need to manage your car fixing and surgery schedules well.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10408 on: May 08, 2024, 11:14:05 AM »
If you are 1000% positive that you can get ALL the mold out, ALL the mouse pee and droppings out, then ok. But if you leave even a speck of mold or mouse pee and then give it to your daughter, you would be a massive and irredeemable piece of shit in my view. There absolutely NO reason whatsoever that justifies giving a moldy, mouse pee contaminated vehicle to someone.

Here's your test: it sits in the sun for 2 weeks with the windows closed and there isn't a hint of mold or mouse pee to the person with the most sensitive sense of smell you can find. If you can pass that test, ok, give it to your daughter. But if you can't, then under no circumstances should you give it your daughter. You are welcome to keep it for yourself to drive (and no other passengers). If you sell it, then you disclose the mold and mouse pee.

I don't know if its possible to clean it up to that extent. But you are welcome to try.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10409 on: May 08, 2024, 12:11:46 PM »
Re: used dirty vehicle, refurbishing, mold and mouse pee.

Just for perspective...

When a tank or armoured fighting vehicle is recovered on the battlefield, the charred, dismembered, and/or rotted corpses inside it are removed for burial, and then it's hosed down, disinfected, repaired, and sent back into battle with a new crew.   Blow up, rinse, repeat.

It's not uncommon for awesome collector's cars to be discovered forgotten in some barn for decades, with all the resultant issues from that.  They clean up well enough to look and run great and also sell for a pretty penny.

There are times that cleaning up a passenger car won't be feasible and times it will.  It just depends on the type and duration of the damage, the thoroughness of the cleaning, and the climate the car will be operated in.  Or, for a different demographic other than ours, whether you want the choice of a car with that history or no car at all.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10410 on: May 08, 2024, 01:36:37 PM »
Re: used dirty vehicle, refurbishing, mold and mouse pee.

Just for perspective...

When a tank or armoured fighting vehicle is recovered on the battlefield, the charred, dismembered, and/or rotted corpses inside it are removed for burial, and then it's hosed down, disinfected, repaired, and sent back into battle with a new crew.   Blow up, rinse, repeat.

It's not uncommon for awesome collector's cars to be discovered forgotten in some barn for decades, with all the resultant issues from that.  They clean up well enough to look and run great and also sell for a pretty penny.

There are times that cleaning up a passenger car won't be feasible and times it will.  It just depends on the type and duration of the damage, the thoroughness of the cleaning, and the climate the car will be operated in.  Or, for a different demographic other than ours, whether you want the choice of a car with that history or no car at all.

There is absolutely no comparison between a tank in battle and a passenger vehicle one is considering gifting to your daughter. None whatsoever. It is irrelevant. It does not provide perspective. It does provide gruesome images, but again, not relevant to the vehicle being discussed.

A collector's car being found in an old barn and getting restored is closer to the situation, but someone is going to CHOOSE to have that vehicle. They are welcome to make that choice for themselves. It's when you're making that choice for others (and they don't have other choices) that it becomes problematic.

If secondcor521 wants to acquire this vehicle and clean it up for his use, he is welcome to. But subjecting others to a potential health hazard in the form of mold or mouse pee is not ok. That's why the high bar.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10411 on: May 08, 2024, 01:57:06 PM »
Have the rodents chewed the wires?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #10412 on: May 08, 2024, 04:27:19 PM »
If secondcor521 wants to acquire this vehicle and clean it up for his use, he is welcome to. But subjecting others to a potential health hazard in the form of mold or mouse pee is not ok. That's why the high bar.

I think the attribution for vehicle restoration should be to sonofsven, not me, although I was supportive of the idea.  I assumed sonofsven knew what they were doing with respect to safety, that the state of vehicle and any associated repairs were fairly disclosed to any recipients or buyers, and that people have the option to decline a vehicle if they'd rather not receive it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 04:30:13 PM by secondcor521 »

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10413 on: May 09, 2024, 07:27:58 AM »
Thanks for all the input! The problem is not so much with the car, but with this "over abundance of optimization" I seem to have. I have other more important things to focus on but instead, when I saw the car sitting there some pathology in me said " I can fix that!". 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10414 on: May 09, 2024, 11:04:49 AM »
Thanks for all the input! The problem is not so much with the car, but with this "over abundance of optimization" I seem to have. I have other more important things to focus on but instead, when I saw the car sitting there some pathology in me said " I can fix that!".
You're not alone.  I suffer from the same....psychopathy?  I dunno what to call it.  The irresistible urge to fix/optimize/tweak something can be overwhelming at times.

406MtnFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10415 on: May 10, 2024, 08:49:25 AM »
Do I pay off a 6 plex which would allow me to fire or wait until I move out of my duplex then pay it off? I'd like to move out of my duplex and I only have enough after tax savings to pay off my 6 plex or new house down payment.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10416 on: May 10, 2024, 10:55:54 AM »
If you pay off your 6-plex, won’t the incoming rents rebuild your down payment fund quickly?

crocheted_stache

• Bristles
« Reply #10417 on: May 13, 2024, 11:51:14 PM »
Costco's "Executive rewards" certificate arrived. It fell just short of enough to pay the difference between the regular membership and the executive membership. For those not acquainted with Costco's business model, executive members pay $120 per year rather than $60 and there's a 2% rebate on purchases, which for many members makes up the difference and then some.

We still get most groceries from Costco and our pace hasn't changed much. We think the difference between this year and previous years is that DH is also biking his commute almost exclusively now, so we're hardly buying gasoline anymore.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10418 on: May 14, 2024, 06:27:14 AM »
Costco's "Executive rewards" certificate arrived. It fell just short of enough to pay the difference between the regular membership and the executive membership. For those not acquainted with Costco's business model, executive members pay $120 per year rather than $60 and there's a 2% rebate on purchases, which for many members makes up the difference and then some.

We still get most groceries from Costco and our pace hasn't changed much. We think the difference between this year and previous years is that DH is also biking his commute almost exclusively now, so we're hardly buying gasoline anymore.

We are also executive members and it always works out in our favor, however I remember when signing up they said if it doesn't save you more you could go to the service desk and they would refund the difference. 

crocheted_stache

• Bristles
« Reply #10419 on: May 14, 2024, 07:34:53 AM »

We are also executive members and it always works out in our favor, however I remember when signing up they said if it doesn't save you more you could go to the service desk and they would refund the difference.

Yeah, I'm aware, but I'm not planning to stand in that line for the single-digit number of dollars I'd get back.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10420 on: May 14, 2024, 08:50:45 AM »
Yeah, I'm aware, but I'm not planning to stand in that line for the single-digit number of dollars I'd get back.
Okay, I am readying the double facepunch cannon.

TimCFJ40

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10421 on: May 14, 2024, 09:22:30 AM »
Another week, another hopeful recruiter in my inbox. This one is actually closer to home than my current job and it's also pretty close to my current job/skill set. Posted pay range is 1.5–2x my current salary (base, anyway). It's management-track-light, with some responsibility for project budget (which I imagine I could handle with some guidance) and "mentoring" younger employees, which I do anyway. If I were serious about applying, I'd ask to talk to someone in a similar role and be sure to understand those details.

My MPP, or perhaps more like the recruiter's MPP: I don't want to 2x my salary, especially if it means taking on management duties and feeling obligated to stay longer. I don't particularly want to reduce my bike commute by a third, either. It's just right, right now.

If there's a post-RE job, it might be volunteer/part time/nonprofit or if in my field, a for-fun project.
Same here.  In addition to the outside recruiters (there's one company local to me that checks in every 2-3 months), internal jobs keep coming my way.

I've laid out that I'm not interested in relocating (I work remote/hybrid with some travel from a desirable (to us) location that doesn't have any local presence of my company) , I want to stay in my domain area of expertise, and I'm OK if this is career limiting. 

There's one more step up I'd be willing to take before my RE Exit in 5-7 years, but I'm not chasing money and I'm not willing to compromise on quality of life in the short term. 

Some people act shocked when I lay these out, as our corporate culture is one with a lot of ladder climbers.  But so far, I've not received undue pressure, and if I do I'm valuable enough to the company and secure enough financially to stand my ground as needed.  Turning down possible promotions is just not something people do regularly in our company.  The next bridge to cross is the "I'm going to be ready to retire in 6-12 months, and I'm 50" discussion I anticipate in the future....

Post RE, I already have identified a number of volunteer and charitable works that could easily take over the career meaning drive function for me just fine...

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10422 on: May 16, 2024, 04:16:34 AM »

If you use the Costco/Citi credit card for all your Costco purchases you get 4% back; 2% from Costo membership and 2% from the credit card.

crocheted_stache

• Bristles
« Reply #10423 on: May 16, 2024, 07:59:24 AM »

If you use the Costco/Citi credit card for all your Costco purchases you get 4% back; 2% from Costo membership and 2% from the credit card.

Yep, that's all happening, only we can use the credit card elsewhere, so that refund was a little more than the executive one.

Okay, I am readying the double facepunch cannon.

@LennStar surely there is some upper limit to how long you would stand in line for a one-time $10, especially on a weeknight when you had yet to eat dinner.

Also, that $10 was a 2% rebate, so it represented $500 we didn't spend last year on gas, groceries, or all the other things Costco sells, and I'm pretty sure we didn't miss the mark through disloyalty to Costco. We just didn't spend much. I don't think it's time yet to turn in my mustache card.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10424 on: May 16, 2024, 08:20:27 AM »
Also, that $10 was a 2% rebate
Now that's a very different thing.

BUt for 10 dollar I would stand there at least half an hour, because that is how long it takes me to make that money. If I had eaten or not would not make a difference. A tiny bit of voluntary discomfort just makes you stronger!

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #10425 on: May 16, 2024, 08:57:30 AM »
My brokerage only quotes bonds once a day. Thus on days like yesterday when interest rates fell, I didn't immediately see the boost to my account. This morning I log on and it turns out my account gained $2,000 overnight.

So even if I do the bad habit of checking accounts often, I STILL don't have an accurate view of my net worth. So I might as well quit looking.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10426 on: May 16, 2024, 10:33:24 AM »

BUt for 10 dollar I would stand there at least half an hour, because that is how long it takes me to make that money. If I had eaten or not would not make a difference. A tiny bit of voluntary discomfort just makes you stronger!

Once you got the 10 bucks back you could get the $1.50 hotdogs and drink deals. However, depending on the individual's time vs money thing I can see just not bothering with the stress of the service desk and going home to eat a healthy meal. No need to turn in anyone's mustache card!

crocheted_stache

• Bristles
« Reply #10427 on: May 16, 2024, 10:56:46 PM »

Once you got the 10 bucks back you could get the $1.50 hotdogs and drink deals. However, depending on the individual's time vs money thing I can see just not bothering with the stress of the service desk and going home to eat a healthy meal. No need to turn in anyone's mustache card!

Hot dogs were on the list until I saw the line at the food counter, at which point the plan became to take the groceries home and cook something, which we did. We made extra portions for the next day's lunches.

I do certain "voluntary discomfort" kinds of things, sometimes to save money. I bike in a range of weather and conditions. I put on a sweater rather than heat my whole house more. But I find have limited patience for dealing with people in this kind of context, and this is below my threshold for getting up the nerve to assert myself. I'm also not at my best when I'm a little hungry.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10428 on: May 17, 2024, 04:30:39 AM »

Hot dogs were on the list until I saw the line at the food counter, at which point the plan became to take the groceries home and cook something, which we did. We made extra portions for the next day's lunches.

I do certain "voluntary discomfort" kinds of things, sometimes to save money. I bike in a range of weather and conditions. I put on a sweater rather than heat my whole house more. But I find have limited patience for dealing with people in this kind of context, and this is below my threshold for getting up the nerve to assert myself. I'm also not at my best when I'm a little hungry.

I agree, voluntary discomfort is great, but at a certain point it becomes forcing yourself to do shit you really don't want to do for returns that are in no way worth it.

Adapting to colder temps has a massive payoff if you live in cold climates because you can permanently lower your heating bill for decades, and you can get more comfortable with spending time outdoors in nature despite extreme cold. The dividends on those discomforts are enormous and pay off for life.

Lining up for $10 should be perceived more in terms of getting paid for work.

If 30 minutes in a line feels like easy work for $10, then have at it. For LennStar, that's a decent rate of pay and they're willing to take the job.

I'm not willing to stand in line for 30 minutes for $10. For me it feels like a bad deal. There are so many things I could do with 30 minutes of work that would be worth more to me than $10.

It all comes down to your personal time/energy/money exchange dynamics as to whether any one exchange is a good or bad deal for you.

Also, I stack my Costco customer service visits. I'll usually wait until I have a few returns and then take care of everything at once.so that I'm being paid a higher rate for my time and energy.

Voluntary discomfort is a powerful thing, but I don't voluntarily take bad deals.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10429 on: May 17, 2024, 06:05:14 AM »
I think the elephant in the room is, it looks like you don't need the Executive membership anymore. Time to downgrade for next year, then you won't have this problem again!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10430 on: May 17, 2024, 06:06:25 AM »
I think the elephant in the room is, it looks like you don't need the Executive membership anymore. Time to downgrade for next year, then you won't have this problem again!

Which might require a trip to customer service anyway, lol

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10431 on: May 17, 2024, 06:53:04 AM »

I agree, voluntary discomfort is great, but at a certain point it becomes forcing yourself to do shit you really don't want to do for returns that are in no way worth it.

Adapting to colder temps has a massive payoff if you live in cold climates because you can permanently lower your heating bill for decades, and you can get more comfortable with spending time outdoors in nature despite extreme cold. The dividends on those discomforts are enormous and pay off for life.

Lining up for $10 should be perceived more in terms of getting paid for work.

If 30 minutes in a line feels like easy work for $10, then have at it. For LennStar, that's a decent rate of pay and they're willing to take the job.

I'm not willing to stand in line for 30 minutes for $10. For me it feels like a bad deal. There are so many things I could do with 30 minutes of work that would be worth more to me than $10.

It all comes down to your personal time/energy/money exchange dynamics as to whether any one exchange is a good or bad deal for you.

Also, I stack my Costco customer service visits. I'll usually wait until I have a few returns and then take care of everything at once.so that I'm being paid a higher rate for my time and energy.

Voluntary discomfort is a powerful thing, but I don't voluntarily take bad deals.

Agreed.

When it starts to be forcing yourself to do something that you really don't want to do I'm not sure it still qualifies as 'voluntary' discomfort anymore.  Everyone has a little inner masochist who will take things too far, don't let him boss you around!  I would joke about 'forcing' myself to get out of bed in the morning rain, shine, or snow and bike to work . . . but it was a fun thing to do there was no real forcing going on.  At some point in the past we figured that we would be fine with fifteen degree temperatures in the house during winter but all that happened was we had a year of much higher than normal colds/sickness.  Didn't really feel voluntary at that point, so we cranked the heat all the way up to eighteen and were much happier for it.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10432 on: May 17, 2024, 09:07:25 AM »
Snip......

Agreed.

When it starts to be forcing yourself to do something that you really don't want to do I'm not sure it still qualifies as 'voluntary' discomfort anymore.  Everyone has a little inner masochist who will take things too far, don't let him boss you around!  I would joke about 'forcing' myself to get out of bed in the morning rain, shine, or snow and bike to work . . . but it was a fun thing to do there was no real forcing going on.  At some point in the past we figured that we would be fine with fifteen degree temperatures in the house during winter but all that happened was we had a year of much higher than normal colds/sickness.  Didn't really feel voluntary at that point, so we cranked the heat all the way up to eighteen and were much happier for it.

I've always suspected Canadians were tougher, but 15 is just to much and "comfortable" at 18 is freeky.   
Then I realized C vs F, but still 15 (59F) is damn cold and 18 (65F) is not much better.   
I live in a summertime high heat area (record 120F), so we keep the interior temps at 21C (70F).
When it got to 120F outside, with the AC full on, the interior temps still got to 78F (24C).
Getting in the pool didn't help, the pool was 92F (33C).

I'm not sure of GuitarStv's exact location, but we are 120 miles North of Toronto.  46N vs 43.6N.
Our record low is about -22F (-30C).

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10433 on: May 17, 2024, 09:13:24 AM »
Snip......

Agreed.

I've always suspected Canadians were tougher, but 15 is just to much and "comfortable" at 18 is freeky.   
Then I realized C vs F, but still 15 (59F) is damn cold and 18 (65F) is not much better.   
I live in a summertime high heat area (record 120F), so we keep the interior temps at 21C (70F).
When it got to 120F outside, with the AC full on, the interior temps still got to 78F (24C).
Getting in the pool didn't help, the pool was 92F (33C).

I'm not sure of GuitarStv's exact location, but we are 120 miles North of Toronto.  46N vs 43.6N.
Our record low is about -22F (-30C).

IDK, I keep my Newfoundland house at 18C and it's pretty comfortable. We wear a lot of wool layers here.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10434 on: May 17, 2024, 09:33:06 AM »
Although softened up and living in the tropical GTA, I grew up deep in Northern Ontario in a hundredish year old log house (with a second floor add-on) and we heated entirely by wood.  So as a kid I got pretty used to temperature swings in winter.  The wood stove would heat the house up to about 30 degrees, but the crappy insulation and regular -40 temperatures outside would mean that it could very chilly if someone forgot to add wood to the fire in the middle of the night.  Water bottles, good blankets (wool sure, but beaver fur is the best I've ever used), flannel pajamas, stockings, and a heavy housecoat and you get through the night fine in cold temperatures.

I've never adapted to heat and humidity though.  Can't sleep, and feel miserable in that stuff.  Anyone who can get comfy in tropical places has my respect.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10435 on: May 17, 2024, 10:09:47 AM »
Although softened up and living in the tropical GTA, I grew up deep in Northern Ontario in a hundredish year old log house (with a second floor add-on) and we heated entirely by wood.  So as a kid I got pretty used to temperature swings in winter.  The wood stove would heat the house up to about 30 degrees, but the crappy insulation and regular -40 temperatures outside would mean that it could very chilly if someone forgot to add wood to the fire in the middle of the night.  Water bottles, good blankets (wool sure, but beaver fur is the best I've ever used), flannel pajamas, stockings, and a heavy housecoat and you get through the night fine in cold temperatures.

I've never adapted to heat and humidity though.  Can't sleep, and feel miserable in that stuff.  Anyone who can get comfy in tropical places has my respect.

This is how I grew up too, except the house never actually heated up. It wasn't well insulated and it was built into a rock, so even in summer, it was often freezing cold.

My Newfoundland house is over 100 years old and heating here costs a fortune, so a cozy sweater is way more comfortable than a $1000/mo heating bill.

At my Ontario house though where I share 5 walls and heating to a balmy 21-22C is extremely cheap, I live in a tank top and shorts all winter often never even needing to turn on the heat because everyone else does.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 10:11:42 AM by Metalcat »

crocheted_stache

• Bristles
« Reply #10436 on: May 17, 2024, 11:18:15 AM »
My MPP: I posted here about my Costco executive rebate falling short by something less than $10, because I did not spend "enough" money last year on groceries and especially on gas. Now I have an entire thread full of people eagerly advising me on reclaiming an amount of money I've already indicated is, for me, not worth the bother in relation to the benefit. (Also, somehow, on relative thermostat settings in winter.)

For me, the amount changes nothing about my lifestyle. It delays FIRE not one bit. I can afford to ignore or defer this one. It's not the beginning of some profligate spending pattern or cavalier attitude toward money, either.

I find this kind of activity intensely undesirable, and I'd rather reserve the mental energy for things that are more important to me.  I know it's a privilege to be able to do that. (Edit to add: it's this privilege that makes "mustachian people problems" not really problems and therefore humorous.)

If you would be all about standing in line to get back your $9.xx and convert your membership, then that's exactly what you should do. I wish you all the privilege and the wisdom to be able to choose time and happiness over small amounts of money when it's right for you, too.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 11:26:15 AM by crocheted_stache »

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #10437 on: May 17, 2024, 01:57:46 PM »

My story growing up was not so different than yours. I did eventually adapt to the heat of NM after 9 years and running a marathon in the summer, but never have made peace with humidity. When I moved back to AK, I adapted back to the cold in all of a year...  DS is the one I'm really worried about in the heat though. He seems to regard 70F/ 21C as absurdly hot and unbearable. He won't sleep and scratches his skin raw. It might be interesting when we do manage to get to the tropics with him. Maybe we should wait until he can talk.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10438 on: May 17, 2024, 02:56:49 PM »

My story growing up was not so different than yours. I did eventually adapt to the heat of NM after 9 years and running a marathon in the summer, but never have made peace with humidity. When I moved back to AK, I adapted back to the cold in all of a year...  DS is the one I'm really worried about in the heat though. He seems to regard 70F/ 21C as absurdly hot and unbearable. He won't sleep and scratches his skin raw. It might be interesting when we do manage to get to the tropics with him. Maybe we should wait until he can talk.

My mother grew up in a coal warmed house without much heat in her second floor bedroom.   

We don't have much humidity here (occationally down to single digit Relative Humidity), but I will smackdown clowns that say "it is a dry heat".   
Anything over 40C/105F is beastly, not matter what the humidity.
Standing in 44C/112F feels like your brain will melt/explode at any instant. Even with hair/head covering.
120F/49C sends even me to the basement to cower for the day. 

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #10439 on: May 17, 2024, 03:23:44 PM »

My mother grew up in a coal warmed house without much heat in her second floor bedroom.   

We don't have much humidity here (occationally down to single digit Relative Humidity), but I will smackdown clowns that say "it is a dry heat".   
Standing in 44C/112F feels like your brain will melt/explode at any instant. Even with hair/head covering.

You can come visit Alaska next time those temps show up. The only place you'll find 120F here is in the sauna where it should be.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10440 on: May 17, 2024, 05:56:33 PM »

True.

It hit 42C once here in Newfoundland last year, which is absolutely unheard of. Around 24C/75F the Newfies start howling about how abnormally/unbearably hot it is.

I can handle up to 40C, it's not comfortable, but it's fine, but above that gets pretty brutal. I was cooking over a hot stove for hours on that 42C day in a house with no AC, and I got brutal heat stroke.

I was distracted because I needed to get cooking done, and it would have been close to 50C in my kitchen by the end of the day and I lost my ability to think straight.

I was on two crutches at that point and just b-lined without thinking into the ocean. The ocean, which was 300 yards away, down a rickety, steep flight of stairs, across a difficult to traverse pebble beach, on crutches, lol, but that's all I could think of, getting into the water.

But FUUUUCK, the water here, even on a 42C day and having heat stroke, it's so mutherfucking cold I could only make it in up to mid thigh and only for about 45 seconds.

It's like having buckets of ice thrown at you over and over and over again. No one here ever goes into the water. I've never seen it, not in 3 years of summers here.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10441 on: May 17, 2024, 09:41:37 PM »

True.

It hit 42C once here in Newfoundland last year, which is absolutely unheard of. Around 24C/75F the Newfies start howling about how abnormally/unbearably hot it is.

I can handle up to 40C, it's not comfortable, but it's fine, but above that gets pretty brutal. I was cooking over a hot stove for hours on that 42C day in a house with no AC, and I got brutal heat stroke.

I was distracted because I needed to get cooking done, and it would have been close to 50C in my kitchen by the end of the day and I lost my ability to think straight.

I was on two crutches at that point and just b-lined without thinking into the ocean. The ocean, which was 300 yards away, down a rickety, steep flight of stairs, across a difficult to traverse pebble beach, on crutches, lol, but that's all I could think of, getting into the water.

But FUUUUCK, the water here, even on a 42C day and having heat stroke, it's so mutherfucking cold I could only make it in up to mid thigh and only for about 45 seconds.

It's like having buckets of ice thrown at you over and over and over again. No one here ever goes into the water. I've never seen it, not in 3 years of summers here.
The Columbia River is quite cold, not nearly Newfoundland cold.   Range from 4C to 20C.   
One of the reasons for the Hanford Site (Manhattan Project plutonium production) being here was the year round, large volumes of cold(er) water.
People do splash around / float in the dead of summer.   
I've gotten hypothermia by staying in for several hours, but I'm pretty sensitive that way.

The 20C (40F ) temperature difference between the air temp and water temp is a good incentive to stay on your skis. 
Slapping what _seems_ like ice cold water at speed is a good way to rapidly improve. your skiing ability.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10442 on: May 18, 2024, 03:44:29 AM »
Above 40°C will be normal day temps for half of the earth once climate change really kicks in. Have fun!

And have fun with tens of millions of "illegal immigrants" per year because climate change is a hoax, you !§$% right wingers!

Sorry, I promise it will be the only rant.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #10443 on: May 18, 2024, 08:12:30 AM »

I misread this as "coat warmed house" and thought, yeah, my mother too. As in "if you want to be warm, put on a coat!"

And Metalcat, I was once told that the reason very few Newfoundlanders know how to swim is that if you fall in the water, you're just gonna freeze to death.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #10444 on: May 18, 2024, 10:39:23 AM »
The 20C (40F ) temperature difference between the air temp and water temp is a good incentive to stay on your skis. 
Slapping what _seems_ like ice cold water at speed is a good way to rapidly improve. your skiing ability.

The first time I water skied was on an oxbow lake. It rose and fell a little with the river, but there wasn't enough movement to keep the water from stratifying, the top was "warm" probably 50F/10C, but go down a foot or two and it was obvious the lake had been frozen not long before. The story of exactly why my friends family had a speed boat for a lake only liquid four months a year probably belongs on another thread... Still, I found myself out there with them at 11 pm one fine summer evening. Everyone had wet suits, but none of them fit me and I really wanted to try water skiing. I stood up on my very first attempt. Everything was going well until a moose swam in front of the boat while they were turning at one end of the lake. It took several attempts to get out of the water again after that distraction.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10445 on: May 18, 2024, 10:56:42 AM »

I misread this as "coat warmed house" and thought, yeah, my mother too. As in "if you want to be warm, put on a coat!"

And Metalcat, I was once told that the reason very few Newfoundlanders know how to swim is that if you fall in the water, you're just gonna freeze to death.

LOL! Yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense. Not a ton of opportunities to actually swim around here, despite there being water literally everywhere.

Half the population here spend most of their lives out on boats on the water, but have likely never actually been *in* the water.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10446 on: May 18, 2024, 03:50:55 PM »

I much prefer heat without humidity.  Not saying it's not hot - it's ridiculously hot . . . but somehow my body feels better in it.

We went on vacation once to Las Vegas in the middle of the summer.  It was mid-40s every day we were there and that we were there.  Opening the door from the hotel A/C felt like sticking your head in the oven.  But because the heat was dry my sweat would evaporate, but it cooled me (slightly)!  This was such a strange but more comfortable feeling that the wet dripping that happens all summer long around here.  Either I wear synthetic clothing that wicks sweat away and then stinks in very short order, or I wear natural fabrics that log down with water and cause chafing.  In Vegas I felt like cotton might be an option.