Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5139727 times)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #10150 on: January 19, 2024, 07:42:22 PM »
My MPP: The S&P 500 has set a new all-time high, but my brokerage account hasn't. My Vanguard balance is back to seven figures, which is great... but it's still a few tens of thousands below its highest-ever value, in December 2021.

I guess this isn't unexpected, because I don't just have VFIAX in my brokerage account. I also have some mid-cap, small-cap and international, and obviously those funds don't move in perfect sync. Still, I'm slightly annoyed that my net worth hasn't hit a new high that I can celebrate, even though the market has!

Our add it all up and rebalance date isn't until the end of next month. So much could happen by then and we not get see our new high! We have a lot of bonds, but we were only .6% shy of the previous high 5 months ago.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10151 on: January 20, 2024, 08:30:02 AM »
New MPP unlocked! My financial aggregator app is now nagging me to "see the whole picture" by including my mortgage in my list. There is no more mortgage. I paid it off last year. The closed account for the paid-off mortgage is even visible in the list.
Had that problem with changing insurance. It refused to quote me when I put in no rent and no mortgage payment. Suffice it to say that I didn't go there.
I suppose that's the point where, if you do need/want to go there, you give up on the web form and phone or visit a person.
What a horrible thing to imagine, or worse, even do!!!

Can't you just put in $1? But I guess then you get filtered out for "fraud" by the algo.

You have to be honest on those forms so putting in €1, while technically possible, would still be a lie that could void your insurance. It's a stretch but I'm not under the illusion that an insurance will do anything they can think of to out of paying someone.
I'd be tempted to fill in that particular blank with the amount of the monthly tax bill. If you don't pay your property taxes, you lose your house. Just like a mortgage, lol.

My new MPP: our wonderfully cheap insurer (CSE) is pulling up stakes in CA, so we're shopping for insurance for four houses, two old vehicles and an umbrella policy. The primary has no mortgage, so we could have the same MPP. Maybe I'll have to try my own proposed remedy. Stay tuned...

ETA: I mentioned this to DH, who was very skeptical of this ever happening.  I looked closer and realized AJQ is in the Netherlands.  Not an issue in the US. Whew! MPP averted. Now we only have to worry what a new insurer will charge, if we can find one...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 09:36:18 AM by Dicey »

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #10152 on: January 21, 2024, 09:44:09 PM »
My MPP: We cannot justify replacing our soon-to-be 20yo car, although we could easily afford to.

Together, DH and I don't drive enough. It's an only car and has been for most of its career. It's starting to act/show its age with some paint decay and some new rattles, but it's still basically reliable, and mechanic visits still cost less than an upgrade.

We both bike most places and only resort to driving when the distance is excessive, the weather is terrible, or we have passengers or cargo to transport, often less than once per week. I'm not sure an EV would be happy sitting there, being ignored most of the time. We don't want to bike less or drive more just to keep a car in shape. (Related sub-problem: our insurance company's lowest annual mileage threshold is 7000 miles per year, and we drive less than half that.)

If local public transportation and car share were enough to make up the difference, we'd have figured that out by now. Also, we kind of like our existing car, not least because it has no screen.

Update: collected the mileage for last year. For two people, one car, we drove right about 2500 miles, total. I don't know if we put that many miles on any one bicycle, but we certainly rode more than that between us.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10153 on: January 22, 2024, 07:46:04 AM »
My MPP: We cannot justify replacing our soon-to-be 20yo car, although we could easily afford to.

Together, DH and I don't drive enough. It's an only car and has been for most of its career. It's starting to act/show its age with some paint decay and some new rattles, but it's still basically reliable, and mechanic visits still cost less than an upgrade.

We both bike most places and only resort to driving when the distance is excessive, the weather is terrible, or we have passengers or cargo to transport, often less than once per week. I'm not sure an EV would be happy sitting there, being ignored most of the time. We don't want to bike less or drive more just to keep a car in shape. (Related sub-problem: our insurance company's lowest annual mileage threshold is 7000 miles per year, and we drive less than half that.)

If local public transportation and car share were enough to make up the difference, we'd have figured that out by now. Also, we kind of like our existing car, not least because it has no screen.

Update: collected the mileage for last year. For two people, one car, we drove right about 2500 miles, total. I don't know if we put that many miles on any one bicycle, but we certainly rode more than that between us.

#WINNING

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #10154 on: January 24, 2024, 02:17:31 PM »
In the ongoing saga of "DH's paychecks are odd," today's includes a pre tax addition in the deductions section, labelled as pre tax healthcare. He wants nothing to do with his paychecks (he was really stressed this morning) so I can only guess why (and my guess is it has to do with HSA seed money they messed up last year) and keep the extra money in checking for awhile in case this was a SNAFU. Although, if it is there again in two weeks, I am going to press him to figure it out so we don't have a build up of funds that we shouldn't have.

It was a random mistake. The MPP is that I have deductions set for $5 paychecks, so when they adjust this on the next paycheck, it will mean we are missing that much contribution to ESPP. Grrr.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10155 on: January 24, 2024, 03:56:01 PM »
That would drive me berserk. You can't retroactively edit that stuff?
That stuff tends to drive me crazy too.  BUT...you reach a point where you realize the past doesn't really matter.  All that matters is what you have now and in the future.  It's hard make me accept it, but I've been reaching toward clearing out some of my old history in my finance spreadsheet, and I think I just want to start fresh and clean.

AnotherEngineer

• Stubble
  • MMM reader since '11, forum stalker since '15
« Reply #10156 on: January 25, 2024, 08:57:46 AM »
That stuff tends to drive me crazy too.  BUT...you reach a point where you realize the past doesn't really matter.  All that matters is what you have now and in the future.  It's hard make me accept it, but I've been reaching toward clearing out some of my old history in my finance spreadsheet, and I think I just want to start fresh and clean.

This sort of issue was my first MPP post too as Empower freaked out of for a week and posted my 401k value +/- a random value up to $1M each day. It screwed up the scale when I look at long term net worth!

My current MPPs are that I have to wait at least another week to finish my taxes for my $3k refund (bonus withholding rules...) because I don't have all my 1099INT forms from my bank bonus churning.

Relatedly, I'm all for two-factor authentication, but it can make two-player mode logins more annoying. Its like they don't acknowledge that both people on a joint account (or account aggregator) might want to log in.  And some of them have gotten long. I entered 10 digits for Chase! Is that really more secure than the four-digit numbers they were initially.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10157 on: January 25, 2024, 09:53:31 AM »
I'm getting a five figure insurance claim check and now I have to decide which bank account to open and transfer it to for the best bonus, and then which credit card to open for the best spending bonus when it's time to pay for the repairs.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10158 on: January 25, 2024, 10:33:17 AM »
I'm getting a five figure insurance claim check and now I have to decide which bank account to open and transfer it to for the best bonus, and then which credit card to open for the best spending bonus when it's time to pay for the repairs.

Best eample that money does not buy happiness, it just takes up so much of your time!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #10159 on: January 25, 2024, 02:18:20 PM »

This sort of issue was my first MPP post too as Empower freaked out of for a week and posted my 401k value +/- a random value up to $1M each day. It screwed up the scale when I look at long term net worth!

My current MPPs are that I have to wait at least another week to finish my taxes for my $3k refund (bonus withholding rules...) because I don't have all my 1099INT forms from my bank bonus churning.

Relatedly, I'm all for two-factor authentication, but it can make two-player mode logins more annoying. Its like they don't acknowledge that both people on a joint account (or account aggregator) might want to log in.  And some of them have gotten long. I entered 10 digits for Chase! Is that really more secure than the four-digit numbers they were initially.
Short answer: probably not more secure.

The risk is that someone nefarious gets hold of or guesses the code before it expires or you use it. Length helps stop guessing, short expiration helps with stuff like you stayed logged into your email on a public computer and next person steals the code. One-time use is critical because these are almost never communicated truly out of band.

But someone who can pull off grabbing the code and using it before you do on say a 15 minute time-limited token is quite likely also able to do that faster than you can blink, so I personally think 4 digits is enough - expand to letters vs. just going longer if you're really worried about it, presuming that you also implement some kind of limit on straight-up guessing - get it wrong 3 times and you need a new code does more for security than adding length for a 1-time use code. I feel like Chase's excessively long token is more to soothe anxiety of people who have been conditioned "longer = better" on password strength for a very long time but haven't really thought information security through in any depth. Might be a lot of those people in both the customer base and working throughout the organization as well - plus it is an easy box to check off.

AnotherEngineer

• Stubble
« Reply #10160 on: January 26, 2024, 07:54:05 AM »

Short answer: probably not more secure.

The risk is that someone nefarious gets hold of or guesses the code before it expires or you use it. Length helps stop guessing, short expiration helps with stuff like you stayed logged into your email on a public computer and next person steals the code. One-time use is critical because these are almost never communicated truly out of band.

But someone who can pull off grabbing the code and using it before you do on say a 15 minute time-limited token is quite likely also able to do that faster than you can blink, so I personally think 4 digits is enough - expand to letters vs. just going longer if you're really worried about it, presuming that you also implement some kind of limit on straight-up guessing - get it wrong 3 times and you need a new code does more for security than adding length for a 1-time use code. I feel like Chase's excessively long token is more to soothe anxiety of people who have been conditioned "longer = better" on password strength for a very long time but haven't really thought information security through in any depth. Might be a lot of those people in both the customer base and working throughout the organization as well - plus it is an easy box to check off.

Yeah, four digits gives you 10,000 numbers to guess and is easy to remember. It is a real pain when I might get 20 codes in a day checking up on accounts.

Chase needs to up their 2FA game. The real kicker was that Chase security called me right after I opened an account and said they needed to confirm my identity by texting a code to the very phone they just called me on (you know, they thing all the 2FA messages tell you not to do!). I hung up and freaked out that my network and email were hacked...turns out after Googling that this was apparently legitimate and I was able to confirm my identity through other means.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #10161 on: January 26, 2024, 12:50:59 PM »
I've been bummed about my net worth in Mint going nowhere for the past 3 months despite some kickass returns on long-term bond trades. Then I realized my accounts last updated 3 months ago, and my brokerage was absorbed in a merger during that time, breaking the links. Thus I was looking at my NW from 3 months ago. After some quick calculator math I found that I am a millionaire. A lazy one who doesn't always pay attention to details, but a millionaire nonetheless.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #10162 on: January 26, 2024, 01:53:04 PM »
I've been bummed about my net worth in Mint going nowhere for the past 3 months despite some kickass returns on long-term bond trades. Then I realized my accounts last updated 3 months ago, and my brokerage was absorbed in a merger during that time, breaking the links. Thus I was looking at my NW from 3 months ago. After some quick calculator math I found that I am a millionaire. A lazy one who doesn't always pay attention to details, but a millionaire nonetheless.

Congratulations!

It does seem like a very typical MPP to not notice becoming something like that! Well done!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10163 on: January 26, 2024, 07:36:59 PM »

Congrats!

I had a similar issue with a net worth graph I was generating years ago that was getting farther and farther away from my actual net worth. At first I figured it was just some minor calculation differences but eventually it was so far off I had to look into it. Turns out it was using average fund prices (across multiple years) instead of closest to date.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #10164 on: January 27, 2024, 08:28:04 AM »
When we first found MMM (2015) we went through our spending and made a ton of small & large cost-cutting changes that added up to a lot of money per month.

I'm still in that mindset - trying to find ways to save money here & there or earn extra money (like with a bank signup bonus).

My MPP:  It no longer makes any difference.  Daily fluctuations in the stock market dwarf any/all the little things I could do. 

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10165 on: January 27, 2024, 10:24:49 PM »
This is peak mustachian humor. Congratulations!!

Between the brokerage being acquired & Mint going away it seems like 2024 is going to be all about finding new ways to track.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10166 on: January 28, 2024, 10:00:17 AM »

Between the brokerage being acquired & Mint going away it seems like 2024 is going to be all about finding new ways to track.
The underlying issue was that it didn't give an error message that the accounts weren't updating, the way it does with credit cards, Treasury direct, etc. This compounded upon my laziness and lack of detail orientation to produce this gift - the realization I'm $100k wealthier than I thought I was.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10167 on: January 28, 2024, 11:15:25 AM »
I'm doing some tax planning for 2024 and realized that my recent changes to 529 contributions will put me slightly over the amount that is deductible on my state return.  It's not anywhere near the annual gift limit, but I've been using the 529 to fine tune my state return at the end of the year to get as close to a $0 refund as possible. 

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #10168 on: January 28, 2024, 12:06:22 PM »
It no longer makes any difference.  Daily fluctuations in the stock market dwarf any/all the little things I could do.

I get this (and sometimes feel this way myself), but I'm not sure it's a productive perspective. 'Cause I don't own those fluctuations, and I'm not benefiting from them. Still worth optimizing where I can:

https://optimacheap.wordpress.com/2020/06/15/will-volatile-investments-make-me-take-more-taxis/

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #10169 on: January 28, 2024, 12:53:11 PM »
It no longer makes any difference.  Daily fluctuations in the stock market dwarf any/all the little things I could do.

I get this (and sometimes feel this way myself), but I'm not sure it's a productive perspective. 'Cause I don't own those fluctuations, and I'm not benefiting from them. Still worth optimizing where I can:

https://optimacheap.wordpress.com/2020/06/15/will-volatile-investments-make-me-take-more-taxis/

Yes - good point.  And thanks for the link.  Yes, much of our net worth is in retirement accounts we won't touch for years so the stock market fluctuations don't arrive in our checking account.

We haven't really changed our behavior much since becoming FI (although our definition of "de minimis" has certainly changed).  I still do little things that save money (i.e. cash-back credit card and free clothes from the Buy Nothing Group).

But the *fun* of those little savings is gone.  It doesn't feel like I'm contributing to our goal in a meaningful way.

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #10170 on: January 28, 2024, 01:36:16 PM »
When we first found MMM (2015) we went through our spending and made a ton of small & large cost-cutting changes that added up to a lot of money per month.

I'm still in that mindset - trying to find ways to save money here & there or earn extra money (like with a bank signup bonus).

My MPP:  It no longer makes any difference.  Daily fluctuations in the stock market dwarf any/all the little things I could do.

This looks mighty familiar...

My current MPP: I recently identified and eliminated around $45/month of useless expenses. Applying the Rule of 173, the savings should add up to nearly $8000 over 10 years. The MPP is that this amount is dwarfed both by other routine-for-me savings (paid-off car and house, bike most local trips, cook at home) and by daily swings in the market.

I think I first did some version of the calculation in grade school. "If you just bought bread and sandwich stuff and put that $5/day that you're spending on packaged/cafeteria lunches into savings, you'd have over $1000 saved in a year." The friend didn't seem to appreciate the point I was trying to make.

I'm still happily wearing a 10-year-old t-shirt that's fraying around the edges because it's the weekend, because who cares if I get it covered with sweat/cooking/paint/garden mud/grease, and because the planet doesn't need more apparel extracted, manufactured, and discarded. I don't wish to drive that demand any more than I already do.

I also took the time to reduce those expenses because they were providing me no value, and because optimizing the heck out of expenses is the kind of thing I do.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #10171 on: January 28, 2024, 01:53:24 PM »
But the *fun* of those little savings is gone.  It doesn't feel like I'm contributing to our goal in a meaningful way.

Yup, that sounds familiar.

Although even after years of this (and actually being retired now and all), I still get that little "zing!" when I find a money-saving or investment thing that's *completely* new to me, like, "holy cow, that wasn't even on my radar!'

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #10172 on: January 28, 2024, 01:58:36 PM »

This looks mighty familiar...

Down to the use of "dwarf" as a verb!

I'm still happily wearing a 10-year-old t-shirt that's fraying around the edges because it's the weekend, because who cares if I get it covered with sweat/cooking/paint/garden mud/grease, and because the planet doesn't need more apparel extracted, manufactured, and discarded. I don't wish to drive that demand any more than I already do.

Spouse & I both wear shirts that are older than some of our coworkers.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #10173 on: January 28, 2024, 03:48:41 PM »
Although even after years of this (and actually being retired now and all), I still get that little "zing!" when I find a money-saving or investment thing that's *completely* new to me, like, "holy cow, that wasn't even on my radar!'

Where are you finding new things?  I feel like we already know all the frugal tricks we're ever going to find.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10174 on: January 28, 2024, 05:41:45 PM »

I use quicken. It's not perfect, I don't like that it's subscription based now, but it's also not going away. That combined with excel and I'm good.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10175 on: January 28, 2024, 06:44:16 PM »
...snip...
.....snip... 

I have T-shirts that are over 20 years old in usable condition.  My "major rock band show" T-shirt is 29+ years old, 30 years as of  March 12. 2024, from 1994* .
My shirts have survived this even with bachelor-style washing machine use.  This consists of throwing _everything_ in, turning the temp high/long and then drying on high.
The key is maintaining a smoothly rotating use.   I hang each new dry washed shirts on one end of the rack and take off the other end.

Another shirt is still plastic wrapped with a Chinese laundry tag from the cleaner in Taipei from 2001.   
My goal is to loose enough weight to wear it again <sips beer>.

To keep on topic, I guess my MPP is that it is hard to get rid of shirts when they are still good, even 20+ years later.

*My "unabridged resume" tells me that I was in San Diego the Sunday before a conference week.
Therefore I saw Black Happy that night and got the shirt.   
Black Happy -- one saxophone, two trombones, two drums
Cherry Poppin' Daddies -- two saxophones, one trombone, one drum.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10176 on: January 28, 2024, 09:40:41 PM »
I’m finally having to retire a couple of 20-year-old t-shirts. I only buy the 100% organic cotton Patagonia t-shirts when they’re on sale, but when I wear them almost weekly for 20 years before they literally fall apart, I could probably justify paying full price. 750 washes / $20 = ……..  Nah, better to get them on sale!

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #10177 on: January 28, 2024, 10:03:57 PM »

I use quicken. It's not perfect, I don't like that it's subscription based now, but it's also not going away. That combined with excel and I'm good.

See also: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/reader-recommendations/mint-closing-down-alternatives/

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #10178 on: January 28, 2024, 10:23:48 PM »

Thanks for the link. Some good points.

In my case, it's also true that I still have a firehose going strong, and otherwise low enough expenses that if I FIREd tomorrow, I'd be at a WR somewhere under 1%. An incrementally higher spend just wouldn't change the picture that much.

What recovering the little extra savings does do, in my case, is eliminate spend that was adding no value. If I'm going to spend a little more, it might as well be on something I care about, not a more comprehensive phone plan or larger trash bin than I really use.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10179 on: January 29, 2024, 04:11:52 AM »
I think I first did some version of the calculation in grade school. "If you just bought bread and sandwich stuff and put that $5/day that you're spending on packaged/cafeteria lunches into savings, you'd have over $1000 saved in a year." The friend didn't seem to appreciate the point I was trying to make.
Yes, it's like when a medium-heavy smoker is complaining about money and you tell him his habit is literally setting his retirement home on flames.
People don't want their stupidity pointed out, they want reassurance that they can't do anything about it because X. A real MPP.

Spouse & I both wear shirts that are older than some of our coworkers.
Haha, I also have some clothes that are 20+ years old. As long as it works, keep it! If you can do that long enough you will even end up at the top of the latest fashion trend! (it still hurts me seeing jeans intentionally made with holes)

-----

My MPP:
My now-company has a retirement account matching plan, very unusual for Germany. Which means nothing prepared me for having
-100€ from pre tax
+200€ in retirement account X
-60€ on after tax/amount I get each month.
=confusion

I only have "salary" in my stats (I don't go deep anyway, I am not budgeting).
What do I do now? Use the -60€ for income and put in +200€ "can't touch savings" I guess, but that won't add up with "pre tax income" and "taxes" combined!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10180 on: January 29, 2024, 08:51:26 AM »

See also: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/reader-recommendations/mint-closing-down-alternatives/

You are missing the point. My usage of Quicken is substantially unchanged since I started using it in 2007. Yes, they've done updates. Icons are different, the color scheme changed, they've added stuff, etc. But the basic functions have been there since day 1. More than that, I have it on my local desktop. I have control over my data. It doesn't matter if Intuit's data server goes down, I can input transactions manually if I want.

Stability and continuity matter, and I have it. Why would I give that up?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10181 on: January 29, 2024, 09:51:50 AM »

The underlying issue was that it didn't give an error message that the accounts weren't updating, the way it does with credit cards, Treasury direct, etc. This compounded upon my laziness and lack of detail orientation to produce this gift - the realization I'm $100k wealthier than I thought I was.

Just curious:   If your net worth had shown decreases during that time without any evidence of market forces driving it down, would you have cracked open an Excel spreadsheet and done the math to find out what was driving the difference between the reported NW and your gut feelings on where it would be? 

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10182 on: January 29, 2024, 11:53:43 AM »
I traded in two old rifles that I inherited 15+ years ago.  In exchange I got two $100 Target gift cards from the police department.  So now my MPP is what to buy at Target that (a) I need and (b) isn't cheaper somewhere else.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10183 on: January 29, 2024, 02:43:10 PM »
I traded in two old rifles that I inherited 15+ years ago.  In exchange I got two $100 Target gift cards from the police department.  So now my MPP is what to buy at Target that (a) I need and (b) isn't cheaper somewhere else.

Using "target" gift cards as the payment method for a gun exchange program seems appropriate. ;P 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10184 on: January 29, 2024, 03:17:29 PM »

Their store brand groceries are around the same price as Walmart and Aldi. I shopped there a lot when I lived biking distance to one.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10185 on: January 29, 2024, 08:21:20 PM »

Just curious:   If your net worth had shown decreases during that time without any evidence of market forces driving it down, would you have cracked open an Excel spreadsheet and done the math to find out what was driving the difference between the reported NW and your gut feelings on where it would be?
In this case it didn't require a bunch of analysis, just some rough mental addition of what I had in about 3 major accounts. So I figured it out long before getting to the Excel stage, but somehow didn't notice the discrepancy for 3 months. Perhaps this means I don't actually need to monitor my NW number, and that it doesn't matter.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10186 on: January 29, 2024, 08:35:11 PM »
Here's my MPP: DS and I fixed up an old car. We paid "tow it in" money ($400) for it and another $400 for engine work and parts. The car runs great now. What a deal, right? The problem? To buy a car in Illinois and get the title transferred and to get plates coats a minimum of $400, thanks to his much they've jacked up the fees and taxes over the last few years. And the insurance company told me that liability-only coverage is going to run us ~$700/year, thanks to "new system" they're deploying.

Time to go insurance shipping, I guess.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #10187 on: January 30, 2024, 12:45:22 AM »
I thought today was tomorrow, payday. So I went to Fidelity to check that and update my spreadsheet.

Fidelity first told me that today was indeed today, not tomorrow. So I have no new money to play with.

Then Fidelity (and Excel) told me that I am $422.29 away from the next NW milestone.

$422.29

IF TODAY HAD BEEN TOMORROW LIKE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE, I WOULD HAVE BEEN OVER THAT $#$@^ MILESTONE.

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #10188 on: January 30, 2024, 12:45:39 AM »

Gerard, I was inspired to look at at few of your other posts. https://optimacheap.wordpress.com/2023/12/05/better-cheap-stuff-doesnt-need-as-much-expensive-stuff-on-it/ is about buying decent ingredients, and I agree, but I can't help reading the headline differently. I'd like to be able to buy a basic, dependable fridge (or other appliance) that just works, and uses the same kind of electromechanical controls that have worked for decades, or maybe has enough electronics for a simple LCD readout for temperature. I don't need a screen, and I don't need it connecting to headquarters. I wonder if when we'll have a consumer backlash where more people go looking for the no-frills model, whether it's made for apartments or pro kitchens, or some other purpose.

NorthernIkigai

• Bristles
  • Connoisseur of Leisure
« Reply #10189 on: January 30, 2024, 12:56:29 AM »
I thought today was tomorrow, payday. So I went to Fidelity to check that and update my spreadsheet.

Fidelity first told me that today was indeed today, not tomorrow. So I have no new money to play with.

Then Fidelity (and Excel) told me that I am $422.29 away from the next NW milestone.

$422.29

IF TODAY HAD BEEN TOMORROW LIKE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE, I WOULD HAVE BEEN OVER THAT $#$@^ MILESTONE.

An unusually transient MPP :-)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 01:08:12 AM by NorthernIkigai »

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #10190 on: January 30, 2024, 12:57:46 AM »
Latest MPP: Empower has now auto-classified my various bike shop purchases as
  • Hobbies
  • Automotive
  • Restaurants (?!)

There's a category for "travel," which I'm reluctantly using as a stand-in for the non-existent "transportation."

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10191 on: January 30, 2024, 06:06:24 AM »
  • Hobbies
  • Automotive
  • Restaurants (?!)

There's a category for "travel," which I'm reluctantly using as a stand-in for the non-existent "transportation."
I really want to know what on your bike is edible, and how it tastes.

I wonder if when we'll have a consumer backlash where more people go looking for the no-frills model, whether it's made for apartments or pro kitchens, or some other purpose.
Unfortunately it will probably go the car way: manufacturers simply choosing to not build those cheap models, because they can make more profit with the more expensive ones and people will buy them anyways.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10192 on: January 30, 2024, 06:14:19 AM »
  • Hobbies
  • Automotive
  • Restaurants (?!)

I really want to know what on your bike is edible, and how it tastes.

A few bike shops around here have fancy coffee bars

NorthernIkigai

• Bristles
  • Connoisseur of Leisure
« Reply #10193 on: January 30, 2024, 07:13:38 AM »
  • Hobbies
  • Automotive
  • Restaurants (?!)

“There’s something wrong with this person, they can’t possibly be buying that much from bike shops. And also, they’re spending way too little on cars and eating out. Let’s fix this for them.”

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10194 on: January 30, 2024, 07:34:33 AM »
  • Hobbies
  • Automotive
  • Restaurants (?!)

Gotta lay off the energy gels.  :P

AnotherEngineer

• Stubble
« Reply #10195 on: January 30, 2024, 07:51:28 AM »

I've used Empower for a long time, but had been classifying transactions in Mint. While I haven't fully explored Empower's categories, but it appears you can both add new categories and rename most of the existing categories. I assume the latter changes just the name and it will still use the same criteria logic. Anyone else miss Mint's former categorization rules? I appears I will have to manually classify my paycheck and a few utility bills because the transaction description includes a date or a tracking number, so doesn't match the last time I reclassified it. MPP...

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10196 on: January 30, 2024, 08:22:43 AM »
  • Hobbies
  • Automotive
  • Restaurants (?!)

I used to endlessly confuse Mint because I repeatedly did:
Vanguard (investments)
The Village Vanguard (a great jazz club)
Harvard Vanguard (medical group practice)

And it would just see the word "Vanguard" and think it must be the same as the last time I did a "Vanguard" thing. Had to reclassify it almost every time.

glacio09

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10197 on: January 30, 2024, 11:31:15 AM »
I work for a company that is also very ubiquitous in modern society. Unfortunately, my paycheck and the retail shop come through as the exact same short merchant name in my bank statement and each of the individual stores have different expanded names. It seems that Monarch's AI is starting to figure it out, but there's no combination of rules to catch it every time.

sayonara

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10198 on: January 30, 2024, 01:31:07 PM »
My MPP from a few months ago - I had just wrapped up building a camper van and was headed up from Washington state into Canada & Alaska to enjoy the balance of summer traveling through some national parks, checking out the remote lakes of the Yukon, visiting friends, hiking, biking, etc. I had no specific pre-planned route, no specific timeline to get through the area and back down into the Lower 48 - after all, one of the best parts of being a retired mustachian is to follow life as we please and as it comes to us, without too much of that planning ahead stuff. But, with me as a 30-year old single male, the Canadian border patrol agent wasn't so convinced. Conversation went something like this -

Me: *Drives up to border, enjoying the scenery, with an unsuspecting smile plastered on my face*

Canadian Border Agent: "Where are you headed?"

Me: "Oh, I plan to head on up through BC and the into the Yukon, eventually making my way into Alaska"

BA: "Is that right? And how long are you going to be in Canada?"

Me: "Well, probably 2-4 weeks on the way up. Maybe something similar on the way back down after coming back in from Alaska and heading south. Depends a little bit on the weather, and if I meet some cool people along the way who have ideas of other things to see. Maybe a little bit longer if that happens."

BA: *Looks at my $10k, self-converted 2010 Ford Transit Connect van with 145,000 miles on it that gets great mileage for a van but doesn't exactly scream 'normal and well-heeled traveller'* - "And how exactly do you intend to finance these travels? Do you understand that it's expensive to travel through Canada, and you're talking about 2+ months in our country. You do understand that it's illegal to work while you are here, and I'm going to need proof that you are able to finance your travels".

Me: *Realizing that I probably should've shown up a little bit more than 0% prepared for this conversation* - "Um, well, yes, I mean, I understand that. But, I have the money though".

BA: *Suspicion deepening rapidly* - "And what exactly do you do for work that allows you to be gone for months at a time and not work while you're here?"

Me: *Realizing this is not going to go well, but without enough time to think of something that sounds less ridiculous* - "Um, well, I'm.... retired, sir".

BA: "You're what?"

Me: *At this point, the look on BA's face shows clearly what he's thinking - that my story is most ridiculous fake cover-up story of all time and that I have now fully convinced him that I am entering his country primarily to participate in one or multiple illicit activities, for a minimum of 3 months, possibly in perpetuity* - "Well, yeah... you know... I mean... I'm... retired..."

BA: "I'm going to need you to shut off your car right now, and come with me. We'll be searching your vehicle and my colleague over there is going to take down and record all of your answers to our questions....."

-----

All of this ended up costing me 2+ hours in the interrogation room with them searching every nook and cranny of my vehicle inside and out... I'm convinced they were deeply disappointed when the worst thing they found was that my bear spray wasn't properly secured and fell onto the passenger seat floorboard when they knocked it over.

-----

Moral of the story - Sometimes it pays to prepare the "off-the-shelf regular person" answer, or something similar to it. I'll keep that in mind next summer when the great white north comes calling once again.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10199 on: January 30, 2024, 02:50:37 PM »
Me: *Realizing that I probably should've shown up a little bit more than 0% prepared for this conversation* - "Um, well, yes, I mean, I understand that. But, I have the money though".

BA: *Suspicion deepening rapidly* - "And what exactly do you do for work that allows you to be gone for months at a time and not work while you're here?"

For future reference, the phrase you want to go with is "independently wealthy," not "retired." That could include things like an inheritance, trust fund, lottery win, startup sale, and other things much less weird when you're 30.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!