Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5135452 times)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #10100 on: January 06, 2024, 06:30:03 AM »

Back when I was working I always declined to send a read receipt. No one ever asked me why or questioned me about whether I had received the email. I think some (most?) people do it out of habit.

👍👍👍

It's not always optional.  I remember just opening messages and getting a pop-up that "a read receipt was sent", often when I didn't have time to read the whole message right away.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #10101 on: January 06, 2024, 09:08:48 AM »

Back when I was working I always declined to send a read receipt. No one ever asked me why or questioned me about whether I had received the email. I think some (most?) people do it out of habit.

👍👍👍

It's not always optional.  I remember just opening messages and getting a pop-up that "a read receipt was sent", often when I didn't have time to read the whole message right away.

If you're using Outlook, there is an option to deactivate them (and an option for requesting them or not). It's in File --> Options --> Mail

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10102 on: January 06, 2024, 10:33:52 AM »
My boss will continue to re-send emails daily (sometimes hourly if it's considered a priority) until he receives the read receipt.  :P

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10103 on: January 06, 2024, 10:56:14 AM »
My boss will continue to re-send emails daily (sometimes hourly if it's considered a priority) until he receives the read receipt.  :P

My former boss didn't use read receipts, but would walk into my office and ask if I had gotten her e-mail. Even after I had replied to it.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10104 on: January 06, 2024, 11:22:44 AM »

That's a good a reason as any for FIREing immediately.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #10105 on: January 07, 2024, 02:43:27 PM »
That's a good a reason as any for FIREing immediately.

yeah, that was kinda my first thought, too! Or at least something to put on the list of Things I Don't Miss after you retire.

Thrallama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10106 on: January 07, 2024, 05:08:02 PM »
My company rolled our 401k plan into the 401k of the megacorp that owns us at the end of 2023. The new 401k account is still with Fidelity, but has a different name. So on December 29, my "old company 401k" account balance went to $0 and on December 30 the "new company 401k" account was created and its balance went up by the same amount. Transfer went fine, I can see the new account on my Fidelity dashboard, all is well.

The MPP: because I was traveling over the holidays, I didn't get to link the "new company 401k" account to Empower or Monarch until today. This means that Empower shows a week-long crater in my net worth because the old 401k balance was zero and I hadn't linked the new one yet. Monarch shows a dip for the entire month of December because its reports show assets/debts on the last day of each month. I know I didn't *actually* lose that money for an entire week, but the graphs make it appear that way.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10107 on: January 07, 2024, 05:43:56 PM »
That would drive me berserk. You can't retroactively edit that stuff?

Thrallama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10108 on: January 07, 2024, 09:23:28 PM »
That would drive me berserk. You can't retroactively edit that stuff?
I can upload a "manual balance history" spreadsheet to Monarch, but I don't know of any way to fix it in Empower.

Edit: and even after uploading said manual balance history, my Monarch net worth graph still isn't correct :/ I did submit a ticket to their support, we'll see if there is a solution available.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 09:42:04 PM by Thrallama »

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10109 on: January 08, 2024, 12:37:11 AM »
@NorCal - I have signed up for Tiller, and have a question on Credit Card accounts.

I have added my credit card, and have one category for paying the card from the checking account, and one category crediting the payment on the credit card account.

I have them noted as Transfers, and I'm getting issues - on the Transaction tab, it's showing up as highlighted yellow, and the drop down arrow disappears from those entries on the Transaction tab.

What terms to you use on the Category or Transaction Tabs to establish the Description/Category/Group on those two tabs? Even though Credit Cards are on the FAQ, it only notes that Type should be Transfers. And I've watched 2 hours of tutorials, and they don't address it....

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10110 on: January 08, 2024, 08:10:14 AM »
My company rolled our 401k plan into the 401k of the megacorp that owns us at the end of 2023. The new 401k account is still with Fidelity, but has a different name. So on December 29, my "old company 401k" account balance went to $0 and on December 30 the "new company 401k" account was created and its balance went up by the same amount. Transfer went fine, I can see the new account on my Fidelity dashboard, all is well.

The MPP: because I was traveling over the holidays, I didn't get to link the "new company 401k" account to Empower or Monarch until today. This means that Empower shows a week-long crater in my net worth because the old 401k balance was zero and I hadn't linked the new one yet. Monarch shows a dip for the entire month of December because its reports show assets/debts on the last day of each month. I know I didn't *actually* lose that money for an entire week, but the graphs make it appear that way.

In Monarch, you can edit transaction dates. Maybe just make them match?

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10111 on: January 08, 2024, 11:37:26 AM »
@NorCal - I have signed up for Tiller, and have a question on Credit Card accounts.

I have added my credit card, and have one category for paying the card from the checking account, and one category crediting the payment on the credit card account.

I have them noted as Transfers, and I'm getting issues - on the Transaction tab, it's showing up as highlighted yellow, and the drop down arrow disappears from those entries on the Transaction tab.

What terms to you use on the Category or Transaction Tabs to establish the Description/Category/Group on those two tabs? Even though Credit Cards are on the FAQ, it only notes that Type should be Transfers. And I've watched 2 hours of tutorials, and they don't address it....

I keep mine simple. I have the group "transfer", and two categories for it.  I use "transfer" and "investment" (for when I'm buying or selling shares).  I don't try to differentiate whether I'm paying off a credit card bill or sending money to an investment account.  I just label it as a transfer. 

While you could have different categories of transfer for each account, I would keep it simple unless you have a real need to track transfers at an account level.

I hope that helps.  Let me know if I could clarify better.

Thrallama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10112 on: January 08, 2024, 11:49:11 AM »

In Monarch, you can edit transaction dates. Maybe just make them match?
That is a good idea to try, if Monarch showed transactions for investment accounts. They're working on that feature but it hasn't been rolled out yet. Right now they only show balances/balance history.

I was able to get my net worth graph corrected - by uploading a .csv file with a single row for 12/31/2023 showing the balance that was transferred. I had (wrongly) assumed that having balance data for dates before and after 12/31 would mean Monarch would extrapolate between them for my end-of-December net worth. Nope, it needed a specific number for 12/31.

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #10113 on: January 09, 2024, 02:03:14 PM »
My MPP: Credit card company (for a card I have) keeps sending email pestering me to sign up for their promotional interest rate, which is a much better deal than their standard, usurious rates, except I have yet to owe them a single cent in interest. I also have no need for the built-in installment purchase feature they're pushing, presumably to compete with the various monthly payment services attached to every online checkout now.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10114 on: January 09, 2024, 02:32:15 PM »
Intuit is closing their budgeting platform Mint down to port its users to Credit Karma, which focuses on credit referrals & has no budgeting tools to speak of. Now that I’ve erased my Mint account to avoid this, they are rubbing salt in the wound by sending me advertising emails to sign up for Mint’s amazing budgeting services (which won’t exist anymore in a few months.)

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10115 on: January 09, 2024, 02:40:58 PM »
Intuit is closing their budgeting platform Mint down to port its users to Credit Karma, which focuses on credit referrals & has no budgeting tools to speak of. Now that I’ve erased my Mint account to avoid this, they are rubbing salt in the wound by sending me advertising emails to sign up for Mint’s amazing budgeting services (which won’t exist anymore in a few months.)

Someone in another thread said that the budgeting feature was going to be preserved in Credit Karma-- which, if true, really should have been announced earlier; they must have already lost a lot of customers (I, like you, have also erased my Mint account).

I didn't try out the new Credit Karma to see, but honestly I'm happier with the more robust budgeting tools in the paid app I am using now, and had been considering making a switch anyway. 

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10116 on: January 09, 2024, 02:48:43 PM »

Someone in another thread said that the budgeting feature was going to be preserved in Credit Karma-- which, if true, really should have been announced earlier; they must have already lost a lot of customers (I, like you, have also erased my Mint account).

I didn't try out the new Credit Karma to see, but honestly I'm happier with the more robust budgeting tools in the paid app I am using now, and had been considering making a switch anyway.
From their own support site, they have some expense tracking features, though much less robust, & no budgeting features. I really left over the lack of flexibility in expense tracking & the removed ability to export data, if I’m honest, I don’t really need a budget so much as like to watch how far under the wire I can get each month.

https://support.creditkarma.com/s/article/Intuit-Mint-and-Credit-Karma#Will-Credit-Karma-have-the-same-budgeting-functionality-as-Mint

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10117 on: January 09, 2024, 04:58:18 PM »
MPP: Went to a fancy restaurant for a special occasion and one of our sons kept exclaiming loudly over the prices on the menu. We shushed him and assured him we could afford it, but he was too indignant to enjoy himself.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10118 on: January 09, 2024, 05:38:22 PM »
MPP: Went to a fancy restaurant for a special occasion and one of our sons kept exclaiming loudly over the prices on the menu. We shushed him and assured him we could afford it, but he was too indignant to enjoy himself.

Honestly, I don't care if he doesn't enjoy himself. I don't want a kid (or teen, or adult) making a fuss while I'm trying to have a nice meal. Please have a firm conversation with him about the inappropriateness of his behavior.

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #10119 on: January 09, 2024, 06:33:39 PM »
My MPP: Credit card company (for a card I have) keeps sending email pestering me to sign up for their promotional interest rate, which is a much better deal than their standard, usurious rates, except I have yet to owe them a single cent in interest. I also have no need for the built-in installment purchase feature they're pushing, presumably to compete with the various monthly payment services attached to every online checkout now.
Update: griping about it here prompted me to go find the preferences. "Do you really, really want to not hear about all our great and useful offers?" That's exactly what I want. We'll see if the email abates.

Abe Froman

• Stubble
« Reply #10120 on: January 10, 2024, 07:21:23 AM »

Honestly, I don't care if he doesn't enjoy himself. I don't want a kid (or teen, or adult) making a fuss while I'm trying to have a nice meal. Please have a firm conversation with him about the inappropriateness of his behavior.

popcorn ...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10121 on: January 10, 2024, 07:59:30 AM »

popcorn ...

I'd just leave him home next time.  Seems like everyone would be happier.  :P

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10122 on: January 10, 2024, 11:30:55 AM »

I have a really funny memory of my youngest brother doing this in a diner. He had strong food preferences as a kid and was super leery of any new food, even if it was the same food from another restaurant. After being coached through the menu and locating some items we felt were likely to be acceptable, he begrudgingly ordered. But then he sat at the table looking stormy. I asked him, "What's wrong?" and he burst out, "I just don't know why we have to spend all this money when I don't know I'm gonna like it! I would rather just go to Subway! I know I like Subway!"

I still chuckle about that. I know that when I was a kid, having to eat a meal I didn't like was pretty much the worst thing that could happen to me in my mind. I guess paying restaurant prices for it just made it seem so much worse. Which I sympathize with! Every time I order a $5 coffee and don't like it, I feel completely put out.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #10123 on: January 11, 2024, 12:37:20 PM »
I put an order to buy an ETF a day after flying west. This means I forgot the markets were closed at the time I placed the order. D'oh. I wasn't trying to time, but it took me a few beats to realize why it wasn't processed quickly.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #10124 on: January 12, 2024, 12:40:27 PM »
In the ongoing saga of "DH's paychecks are odd," today's includes a pre tax addition in the deductions section, labelled as pre tax healthcare. He wants nothing to do with his paychecks (he was really stressed this morning) so I can only guess why (and my guess is it has to do with HSA seed money they messed up last year) and keep the extra money in checking for awhile in case this was a SNAFU. Although, if it is there again in two weeks, I am going to press him to figure it out so we don't have a build up of funds that we shouldn't have.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10125 on: January 12, 2024, 01:12:52 PM »
In the ongoing saga of "DH's paychecks are odd," today's includes a pre tax addition in the deductions section, labelled as pre tax healthcare. He wants nothing to do with his paychecks (he was really stressed this morning) so I can only guess why (and my guess is it has to do with HSA seed money they messed up last year) and keep the extra money in checking for awhile in case this was a SNAFU. Although, if it is there again in two weeks, I am going to press him to figure it out so we don't have a build up of funds that we shouldn't have.

Odd paychecks drive me nuts. For some reason, our company's software only allows them to show four deductions on our paystubs, no matter how many deductions there actually are. And which deductions it shows varies from week to week and seems completely random. They also really love to offer new payroll-deductible stuff-- everything from company apparel to pet insurance to a company savings account, in addition to the usual health, vision, dental, disability insurance, etc. But apparently we cannot upgrade to better software because there is One Guy In Payroll who knows everything, is too valuable to replace, and cannot be talked out of his favorite program, even though fielding calls about mysterious payroll deductions (we have thousands of employees!) takes up hours of everybody else's time.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10126 on: January 12, 2024, 02:55:42 PM »
Odd paychecks drive me nuts. For some reason, our company's software only allows them to show four deductions on our paystubs, no matter how many deductions there actually are. And which deductions it shows varies from week to week and seems completely random. They also really love to offer new payroll-deductible stuff-- everything from company apparel to pet insurance to a company savings account, in addition to the usual health, vision, dental, disability insurance, etc. But apparently we cannot upgrade to better software because there is One Guy In Payroll who knows everything, is too valuable to replace, and cannot be talked out of his favorite program, even though fielding calls about mysterious payroll deductions (we have thousands of employees!) takes up hours of everybody else's time.

Best part is, when that One Guy in Payroll does leave, they're going to start finding all sorts of mistakes If not outright fraud.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10127 on: January 12, 2024, 06:03:35 PM »

Best part is, when that One Guy in Payroll does leave, they're going to start finding all sorts of mistakes If not outright fraud.

I bet you just hit the nail on the head!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10128 on: January 12, 2024, 06:05:00 PM »

Or when he goes and they get better software, all the people spending time answering questions can actually do their jobs and productivity will be so much better!  Not to mention people so much less stressed out because they are no longer answering questions that would never have been asked if the software were better.  This guy is costing the company.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10129 on: January 13, 2024, 06:06:31 AM »

My wife's job has an inept payroll guy too. I noticed one of her paychecks was under the usual amount by $40 or so, and I went over the previous few paystubs to see what was going on. It ended up being miscalculations for various items, some under, some over. I wrote it all up with screen prints, highlighting the errors on the paystubs and including all my corrected calculations.

Payroll guy's reaction: "Wow, how did he ever find this? I never would have noticed it!"

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #10130 on: January 13, 2024, 04:42:17 PM »

My wife's job has an inept payroll guy too. I noticed one of her paychecks was under the usual amount by $40 or so, and I went over the previous few paystubs to see what was going on. It ended up being miscalculations for various items, some under, some over. I wrote it all up with screen prints, highlighting the errors on the paystubs and including all my corrected calculations.

Payroll guy's reaction: "Wow, how did he ever find this? I never would have noticed it!"

So far, only once has been an error (they forgot his pay should change when he went part time). There are just a lot of unexpected things incentives here, patent bonuses at different stages of the process. But I have also been able to figure out the previous one based on the line item. If you Google this line item, everything is about insurance premiums, not getting extra money.

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #10131 on: January 13, 2024, 10:38:02 PM »
Thanks for the reminder/incentive to review my pay stub for the new year. Company just migrated payroll to a new provider, and I should check that everything I had set up made the trip.

My current MPP: I recently identified and eliminated around $45/month of useless expenses. Applying the Rule of 173, the savings should add up to nearly $8000 over 10 years. The MPP is that this amount is dwarfed both by other routine-for-me savings (paid-off car and house, bike most local trips, cook at home) and by daily swings in the market.

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10132 on: January 14, 2024, 12:07:21 AM »
My MPP is a friend gave me some bar shampoo which I really want to try but it will be ~6 months before I use up my current shampoo. On current tracking I will not need to buy any more shampoo or conditioner until I retire in 4 years time.
I bought three bars of sandalwood soap, a big splurge for me, in the middle of the pandemic (a 'treat yo self' kind of splurge, $29 for the three bars), summer 2021.
It being expensive soap, I can't bring myself to use it directly - I apply it to a plastic bath pouf which I then use on my skin.
I'm about a quarter of the way through the second bar.  At this rate I'll be done with the third bar in approximately 2027-2028.

NorthernIkigai

• Bristles
  • Connoisseur of Leisure
« Reply #10133 on: January 14, 2024, 12:29:41 AM »
My MPP is a friend gave me some bar shampoo which I really want to try but it will be ~6 months before I use up my current shampoo. On current tracking I will not need to buy any more shampoo or conditioner until I retire in 4 years time.
I bought three bars of sandalwood soap, a big splurge for me, in the middle of the pandemic (a 'treat yo self' kind of splurge, $29 for the three bars), summer 2021.
It being expensive soap, I can't bring myself to use it directly - I apply it to a plastic bath pouf which I then use on my skin.
I'm about a quarter of the way through the second bar.  At this rate I'll be done with the third bar in approximately 2027-2028.

And what was the problem? :-)

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #10134 on: January 14, 2024, 03:45:56 AM »
My new employer was fishing around for a phone I could use and came up with an iPhone 11. It's several years old, and it's the first iPhone I've ever used.

I've been texting customers and vendors, some bubbles are green and some are blue. I honestly can't remember which color I'm supposed to hate.
Blue is iMessage and apple only so I'd assume that one.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10135 on: January 14, 2024, 02:44:20 PM »
In re: expensive soap, I have a $6 bar I bought as a gift for my mom... but when I got it home and was unpacking my shopping in the kitchen, it slipped out of my hands and bounced straight into a dirty pot soaking in the sink from earlier in the day. Oops. Now, it's soap so you can wash it off, but you can't give it as a gift if it looks like you used it already. So now I have a fancy soap instead of the unscented and uncolored kind I've been using.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10136 on: January 14, 2024, 03:29:25 PM »
I downsized to a small apartment and now I don't have enough wall space for all of the beautiful and valuable art that my mom wants to give me because she's downsizing to a new place about the same size as mine.

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #10137 on: January 14, 2024, 09:13:24 PM »
My MPP is due to the fact that my parents are Mustachian, too, although that's not what they call it. As such, I will someday inherit whatever remains of the case of their favorite dish soap, which they bought on clearance when it was discontinued. I can only hope that it will still be usable at that point, and that I like it as well as they always have.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10138 on: January 15, 2024, 06:08:25 AM »
My MPP is due to the fact that my parents are Mustachian, too, although that's not what they call it. As such, I will someday inherit whatever remains of the case of their favorite dish soap, which they bought on clearance when it was discontinued. I can only hope that it will still be usable at that point, and that I like it as well as they always have.

I like your parents' approach.  I had one particular bar soap that I really liked that was hard to find, so every time it was available I bought the whole stock.  I haven't seen it in years.  I still have 7 packages (of 3 bars each) left.

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #10139 on: January 15, 2024, 10:41:28 AM »

I like your parents' approach.  I had one particular bar soap that I really liked that was hard to find, so every time it was available I bought the whole stock.  I haven't seen it in years.  I still have 7 packages (of 3 bars each) left.

I hope you have checked online, in case it's still being made and stores near you just don't carry it anymore, in case it was rebranded and you didn't know, or in case someone else inherited their parents' supply and didn't like it.

Bar soap can last a little longer if you let it dry out before use (just storing it in a dry place is usually enough). I'm sure you already have the kind of soap tray that keeps it up out of puddles.

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #10140 on: January 15, 2024, 10:47:53 AM »
New MPP unlocked! My financial aggregator app is now nagging me to "see the whole picture" by including my mortgage in my list. There is no more mortgage. I paid it off last year. The closed account for the paid-off mortgage is even visible in the list.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #10141 on: January 15, 2024, 11:21:52 AM »
New MPP unlocked! My financial aggregator app is now nagging me to "see the whole picture" by including my mortgage in my list. There is no more mortgage. I paid it off last year. The closed account for the paid-off mortgage is even visible in the list.
Had that problem with changing insurance. It refused to quote me when I put in no rent and no mortgage payment. Suffice it to say that I didn't go there.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10142 on: January 15, 2024, 11:40:41 AM »
My MPP:

I have a fully stocked freezer/pantry and cook from scratch daily.  I was going to do a "low spend" month and only buy fresh produce, eggs, etc this month, however, Kroger has a coupon that if I spend 75$ per week for the next three weeks, I get a 25$ gift card.  So now I am filling up my cart with more shelf stable stuff and will have a VERY low spend Feb as well as guaranteed participation in the "eat all the food in your house challenge" for many months to come.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10143 on: January 16, 2024, 08:48:20 PM »
My MPP:

I have a fully stocked freezer/pantry and cook from scratch daily.  I was going to do a "low spend" month and only buy fresh produce, eggs, etc this month, however, Kroger has a coupon that if I spend 75$ per week for the next three weeks, I get a 25$ gift card.  So now I am filling up my cart with more shelf stable stuff and will have a VERY low spend Feb as well as guaranteed participation in the "eat all the food in your house challenge" for many months to come.

I feel like this is me every week. Some sale comes up and I'm always buying groceries after saying I'm going to slow down.

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #10144 on: January 16, 2024, 11:04:51 PM »
Had that problem with changing insurance. It refused to quote me when I put in no rent and no mortgage payment. Suffice it to say that I didn't go there.
I suppose that's the point where, if you do need/want to go there, you give up on the web form and phone or visit a person.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10145 on: January 17, 2024, 01:26:23 AM »
I suppose that's the point where, if you do need/want to go there, you give up on the web form and phone or visit a person.
What a horrible thing to imagine, or worse, even do!!!

Can't you just put in $1? But I guess then you get filtered out for "fraud" by the algo.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #10146 on: January 18, 2024, 11:01:07 AM »
What a horrible thing to imagine, or worse, even do!!!

Can't you just put in $1? But I guess then you get filtered out for "fraud" by the algo.

You have to be honest on those forms so putting in €1, while technically possible, would still be a lie that could void your insurance. It's a stretch but I'm not under the illusion that an insurance will do anything they can think of to out of paying someone.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10147 on: January 18, 2024, 11:33:17 AM »

Can you figure out the monthly cost of your taxes and insurance for your paid off house and report that as your "mortgage"?  For folks who still pay a mortgage, those are usually rolled into the monthly payment, but once you've paid of the house, those are now your fixed housing costs.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #10148 on: January 18, 2024, 09:44:59 PM »

Can you figure out the monthly cost of your taxes and insurance for your paid off house and report that as your "mortgage"?  For folks who still pay a mortgage, those are usually rolled into the monthly payment, but once you've paid of the house, those are now your fixed housing costs.

I’ve been doing something like that on “income”. I just add 4% of my stash to any earned income and report that for those kinds of things.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10149 on: January 19, 2024, 07:15:02 PM »
My MPP: The S&P 500 has set a new all-time high, but my brokerage account hasn't. My Vanguard balance is back to seven figures, which is great... but it's still a few tens of thousands below its highest-ever value, in December 2021.

I guess this isn't unexpected, because I don't just have VFIAX in my brokerage account. I also have some mid-cap, small-cap and international, and obviously those funds don't move in perfect sync. Still, I'm slightly annoyed that my net worth hasn't hit a new high that I can celebrate, even though the market has!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!