Author Topic: MrMoneyBeard a Good Brand Name?  (Read 14956 times)

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: MrMoneyBeard a Good Brand Name?
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2021, 07:25:36 AM »
The thing is, you have to be respected as some kind of expert if you want people to listen to you, even if you're just respected as the small time expert within your immediate group.

MMM gets his credibility from having actually retired at 30. That gives him credibility among people seeking wisdom about retiring early.

If you want to influence people, they either have to already believe in you, or your content has to inspire them to believe in you.

True, I've got the respect covered in my immediate group, they already come to me for advice. While it's not much to have a college degree, be a teacher, be fit, married long-term and be driving a 2015 Prius to people in this forum... It breaks the mold for the low-income culture/crowd.

N'ah, that shit is pretty respected here too.

But do these people actually listen to you?

Oh yeah they always listen, but only occasionally act. When they do though it's beautiful to witness.

You're making a critical logic error here. If they wanted to change their habits, they would read the book.

The only people who read habit-changing books are people who proactively want to change their habits. A self help books is only helpful to the person who wanted that help in the first place.

Few self help books are actually very good, people find inspiration in them because they're already past the contemplation stage of making a change.

I've also lived among this population, but I get why they maintain these habits. I've worked with a huge range of populations, you have to understand what motivates them before you can persuade them to change their behaviors.

Giving someone who isn't interested in changing their habits a book on changing habits is about as useful as giving an atheist a Bible and telling them it will save them.

Maybe so, but they're the ones who say they are interested. I'll hear comments like, "damn you've got more discipline than anyone I know." And I'll say something along the lines of no I don't, it's just habits you'd be surprised how powerful they are. And we get to talking and I bring up a book and they say they'd like to read it sometime. But it never goes anywhere.

They're very aspirational. How would you help a person like that? I don't want to just not intervene especially with my loved ones.

They may say they are interested, and they may be in that moment. I have a friend who always says he is interested, always asking me about saving and how he should do it, etc. but he never actually does anything. So whatever, I just smile and nod when he buys a new vehicle. Yeah it’s frustrating, but it’s his life, so whatever. The only thing you can control is yourself.

I believe we have a forum member that is from an area like yours. I can’t remember the name off the top of my head.

I know I mentioned it above, but there are a few thread around not only specifically about trying to move people toward mustachianism, but there are are also several about poverty in general. I’ll try to find some links at some point.

It's the whole you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Also the serenity prayer comes to mind.

I admit I do get hooked though because every now and then they do do something and it's very rewarding for me to see people improve themselves. Thanks I would love to read those threads!

I believe we have a forum member that is from an area like yours. I can’t remember the name off the top of my head..
Are you thinking of Whitetrashcan?

Is mis-nouning someone as bad as mis-gendering them?  Heh.

@WhiteTrashCash has always struck me more along the lines of:

... I'd thought of him earlier, but hesitated to mention, lest his identity get stolen re-branded.

Don't worry he's safe, I just purchased the rights to the name "MrMoneyShuffler."

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/how-to-convert-your-so-to-mmm-in-50-awesome-steps/
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/how-to-help-my-family-with-financial-education/msg2772798/#msg2772798

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2021, 07:30:04 AM »
Thoughts?

If you put in half as much thought on the actual content you create as you have with the triviality of the name at this point?

Not only won't you have any problem finding an audience, you'd already have content shaping your "branding identity" to play with.

You're putting the cart before the horse, dude.

This.

Back in the days before social media the business dreamers bought business cards and spiffy suits to get geared up for their “business.” It’s as though they were playing at business.  The trappings were more important to them than the work.

Now we have blog names and Domain registrations to fuss with,  but same thing.

One of the things I am the most proud of DH about is this: he quit his soul sucking job on a Friday and  the next Monday he started his own business. He ran that little business for 15 years. Granted he never made a ton of money but he was happy doing what he did and he contributed to our household. mightily. That first week or so we talked about getting business cards but he never got around to it, it was unnecessary. He did his books on our kitchen table. He used his existing old truck and existing tools to fix peoples houses. People stood in line to get his services.

He had already built his reputation and knowledge socially.

OP, just start writing or “creating your content” as it is now known. Go forth and do it. It is about the work, not about the trappings. So good luck  and start making your videos. And, I wish you the screen presence and entertainment chops of Joe Rogan.I love that guy.

I think you will find talking into a camera, solo, is very hard work.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 07:43:44 AM by iris lily »

NaN

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2021, 07:55:16 AM »
Plus it's super fucking annoying and presumptuous from someone who none of us know.

Totally unnecessary @Malcat. This is a free forum anyone can join. You should tone down your gatekeeping. It is coming across strong. You can just ignore this thread like any other you might ignore if you don't want to respond or provide feedback to him. Not only has he responded kindly to every point you have brought up, he honestly seems to care about a community.

@mr.moneybeard maybe you can walk the Appalachia Trail this summer (just segments) and run into a few of the full trail hikers. I read they come up with fun nicknames for each other and might be willing to be creative for the area. Or just talk to the group you are targeting and see if they say something. I would pick something that resonates with those you are trying to reach out to. I think MMM picked something that was trending at the time (mustaches).

Well, it sounds like you already picked a brand name.

Yes, I can be very blunt, but it was not meant as gatekeeping. I keep encouraging OP to participate more so that we can get to know them.

I *do* find it super fucking annoying for someone to come here and gather market research and not otherwise participate, it's happened several times over the years. I was saying that in general, that it's super fucking annoying, because it is.

OP seems to be interested in engaging, which would make him not super fucking annoying.

As for my other very blunt feedback posts, OP came here asking for feedback and I have taken my time to give him my genuine thoughts.

Contrary to what you think and how harsh my tone can sound, I've actually taken my time to participate in this thread in earnest and given my genuine input.

Whether it was this OP or not, being super annoyed and posting about it is gatekeeping. Just ignore the post and let it go unanswered, or let others interested in responding give him his free focus group advice. Your harsh tone is fine, the venting about this post (or kind of post) is what I thought was unnecessary and is gatekeeping.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2021, 08:10:45 AM »
MMM was almost assuredly never relatable to the demographic you are describing fwiw.

Well MMM inspired me and I come from that demographic. What it was about him is that he lived like he was poor which was cool, he speaks down to Earth, and the whole badass vibe resonates with that crowd. When you're poor your reputation holds a lot of value and one way to inflate that value is be the meanest toughest guy/gal around...

I think you have something here. It *IS* badass to be self-reliant. To recycle and reuse like these guys do in fixing lawnmowers and flipping them. To build things from scratch. To keep all the monies they get. Set up “them vs us” mindset in showing them how The Man tries ro take their money, everyday.

Every time they slap The
Man’s hands away from their money, they WIN. That builds their street cred.

You can play that up for sure.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2021, 08:25:51 AM »
Plus it's super fucking annoying and presumptuous from someone who none of us know.

Totally unnecessary @Malcat. This is a free forum anyone can join. You should tone down your gatekeeping. It is coming across strong. You can just ignore this thread like any other you might ignore if you don't want to respond or provide feedback to him. Not only has he responded kindly to every point you have brought up, he honestly seems to care about a community.

@mr.moneybeard maybe you can walk the Appalachia Trail this summer (just segments) and run into a few of the full trail hikers. I read they come up with fun nicknames for each other and might be willing to be creative for the area. Or just talk to the group you are targeting and see if they say something. I would pick something that resonates with those you are trying to reach out to. I think MMM picked something that was trending at the time (mustaches).

Yes, I can be very blunt, but it was not meant as gatekeeping. I keep encouraging OP to participate more so that we can get to know them.

I *do* find it super fucking annoying for someone to come here and gather market research and not otherwise participate, it's happened several times over the years. I was saying that in general, that it's super fucking annoying, because it is.

OP seems to be interested in engaging, which would make him not super fucking annoying.

As for my other very blunt feedback posts, OP came here asking for feedback and I have taken my time to give him my genuine thoughts.

Contrary to what you think and how harsh my tone can sound, I've actually taken my time to participate in this thread in earnest and given my genuine input.

Whether it was this OP or not, being super annoyed and posting about it is gatekeeping. Just ignore the post and let it go unanswered, or let others interested in responding give him his free focus group advice. Your harsh tone is fine, the venting about this post (or kind of post) is what I thought was unnecessary and is gatekeeping.

And you are entitled to that opinion.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • youtube.com/mrmoneybeard
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2021, 09:57:51 AM »

@NaN Good suggestion, I remember reading about that in Cheryl Strayed's book, "Wild" when she was referred to as the Queen of the PCT and if my memory serves my right Go Curry Cracker's nickname came from hiking!

I do have a fun idea for a YouTube name but in the meantime I think I'll just start by posting my videos under my actual name.

NaN I appreciate you thinking of me @Malcat certainly did come across as an asshole a few times but I have appreciated his taking the time to give me feedback. I've got pretty thick skin and would rather people be too harsh than withhold critique in an effort to be kind. I can't speak for everyone though, I'm sure some people would have been rubbed the wrong way and decided to drop out of this online community.

@slappy thanks for the links! :)

Thoughts?

If you put in half as much thought on the actual content you create as you have with the triviality of the name at this point?

Not only won't you have any problem finding an audience, you'd already have content shaping your "branding identity" to play with.

You're putting the cart before the horse, dude.

This.

Back in the days before social media the business dreamers bought business cards and spiffy suits to get geared up for their “business.” It’s as though they were playing at business.  The trappings were more important to them than the work.

Now we have blog names and Domain registrations to fuss with,  but same thing.

One of the things I am the most proud of DH about is this: he quit his soul sucking job on a Friday and  the next Monday he started his own business. He ran that little business for 15 years. Granted he never made a ton of money but he was happy doing what he did and he contributed to our household. mightily. That first week or so we talked about getting business cards but he never got around to it, it was unnecessary. He did his books on our kitchen table. He used his existing old truck and existing tools to fix peoples houses. People stood in line to get his services.

He had already built his reputation and knowledge socially.

OP, just start writing or “creating your content” as it is now known. Go forth and do it. It is about the work, not about the trappings. So good luck  and start making your videos. And, I wish you the screen presence and entertainment chops of Joe Rogan.I love that guy.

I think you will find talking into a camera, solo, is very hard work.

@Daley and @iris lily Yep, this has been me. I realize I was definitely putting the cart before the horse and have decided to just start. I'm just going to post my videos under my name, start locally and if one day it makes sense to convert to a nickname I've got one in mind that I'll switch to when it's warranted.

You're right, talking to a camera is very awkward. I filmed "My Lean Fire Story", it was supposed to be quick and simple but ended up being 13 minutes of ramblings and "umms". So I'm going to go back to the trail and try a more concise version this week. Thanks for the well wishes, I also love Rogan.

And yep, certainly going to start shining light on the cool and BA factor involved in this lifestyle. I could see them currently thinking it's for the rich, misers, and/or nerds.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 10:26:10 AM by mr.moneybeard »

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2021, 10:28:37 AM »
NaN I appreciate you thinking of me @Malcat certainly did come across as an asshole a few times but I have appreciated his taking the time to give me feedback. I've got pretty thick skin and would rather people be too harsh than withhold critique in an effort to be kind. I can't speak for everyone though, I'm sure some people would have been rubbed the wrong way and decided to drop out of this online community.

OP, I believe Malcat is female.  It's tough to tell online sometimes and I've been guilty of assuming incorrectly several times as well.  Polls on this site have shown gender is divided pretty evenly around here so I try not to assume anymore.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2021, 10:34:02 AM »

OP, I believe Malcat is female.  It's tough to tell online sometimes and I've been guilty of assuming incorrectly several times as well.  Polls on this site have shown gender is divided pretty evenly around here so I try not to assume anymore.

Oh wow! I feel like a bigot, thanks for letting me know. Sorry Malcat!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2021, 10:37:01 AM »

Yes, I can absolutely sometimes come off as an asshole, especially online where my particular sense of humour doesn't always translate. You should see how I talk to my mother. Also yes, I am frequently mistaken for a man, probably for the same reasons I come off as an asshole.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2021, 11:01:08 AM »

Oh wow! I feel like a bigot, thanks for letting me know. Sorry Malcat!

Lol, no need to apologize. It happens all the time. Sorry for being an asshole apparently.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2021, 11:37:22 AM »
Lol, no need to apologize. It happens all the time. Sorry for being an asshole apparently.

Ha, you're fine. This crude text based form of communication makes it hard to get a good read on people.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2021, 11:45:46 AM »

Ha, you're fine. This crude text based form of communication makes it hard to get a good read on people.

Is is crude, or is it the ultimate gender unifier, a sophisticated tool for crafting  social cohesion in society?

You choose, haha.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:48:04 AM by iris lily »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2021, 07:43:35 PM »

Is is crude, or is it the ultimate gender unifier, a sophisticated tool for crafting  social cohesion in society?

You choose, haha.
Everyone online is a teenage boy (or a 40 year old guy) who lives in his Moms basement and plays video games all day. Don't you know that? Oh and @Malcat is just an adorably creepy naked cat who know a lot of stuff ;-).

OP I agree with @iris lily above that you should post some more here and in other FI/RE and frugal simple living spaces to see what the general vibe is then gear your videos to those folks who already have the desire to make changes but don't know how. There are a lot of people out there, many on just this forum, who have regular blue collar type jobs and limited income who have been able to FIRE pretty young and do YouTube about it. Or some aspect of frugal DIY living that got them there. Most do it to show it can be done by many as well as to show that a lifestyle of frugality and simple living can be a very fulfilling and exciting life.

I am NOT a hairless cat, my avatar is so very clearly a Cornish Rex.

Gawd, I don't care if people get my gender wrong, but I take deep offense to being mis-breeded...mis-bred??? Mis-??? .....dammit....Mis-labeled as the wrong cat breed!

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2021, 11:44:44 PM »
Yes you can do this but only if you also start a band called The Rolling Pebbles and a fashion brand called Rolph Lauren.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2021, 10:51:38 AM »

You choose, haha.
Everyone online is a teenage boy (or a 40 year old guy) who lives in his Moms basement and plays video games all day. Don't you know that? Oh and @Malcat is just an adorably creepy naked cat who know a lot of stuff ;-).

OP I agree with @iris lily above that you should post some more here and in other FI/RE and frugal simple living spaces to see what the general vibe is then gear your videos to those folks who already have the desire to make changes but don't know how. There are a lot of people out there, many on just this forum, who have regular blue collar type jobs and limited income who have been able to FIRE pretty young and do YouTube about it. Or some aspect of frugal DIY living that got them there. Most do it to show it can be done by many as well as to show that a lifestyle of frugality and simple living can be a very fulfilling and exciting life.

Gawd, I don't care if people get my gender wrong, but I take deep offense to being mis-breeded...mis-bred??? Mis-??? .....dammit....Mis-labeled as the wrong cat breed!
LOL. I stand corrected. Adorably creepy, has hair ( er...kind of), cat who knows stuff ;-).

Any older guy with Mediterranean blood can tell you that naked does not imply hairless.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2021, 12:19:12 PM »

You choose, haha.

LOL. I stand corrected. Adorably creepy, has hair ( er...kind of), cat who knows stuff ;-).

Any older guy with Mediterranean blood can tell you that naked does not imply hairless.

Thanks for that image! haha

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2021, 12:22:59 PM »
You should go for Beardy McBeardface

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2021, 01:35:09 PM »
Personally I'm a fan of Beardy McBeardface.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2021, 02:22:21 PM »
Seems like we could have some fun with this...

The Cheap Hillbilly
Appalachian Gormet
Rocky Top Is In

... I'll probably think of more after I hit Post.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2021, 08:16:04 PM »
Seems like we could have some fun with this...

The Cheap Hillbilly
Appalachian Gormet
Rocky Top Is In

... I'll probably think of more after I hit Post.

Based on the use of the word "pop" I'm guessing OP is from a state where people don't particularly appreciate "Rocky Top."

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2021, 05:39:59 PM »
Hahahaha, you all are too funny! It has been decided. No brand name just my first and last name for now. That seems to work just fine on YouTube. :)

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2021, 06:53:06 PM »
Hahahaha, you all are too funny! It has been decided. No brand name just my first and last name for now. That seems to work just fine on YouTube. :)

Cool. Let us know when you put an episode out. Will check it out and give feedback.

NaN

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: March 07, 2021, 09:03:56 PM »
Now that was a pretty good online social interaction. I surely miss normal interactions with being cooped up for a year.

I probably disagree, respectively, with @Malcat and @spartana that you should engage the forums. I just think, IMHO, participating in the forums is only a small part, if any, for being successful at what you are proposing. That is nothing against the very smart people here who can rip your ideas to shreds if you are looking for it. Clearly that has been evident.

Reading your posts and how you handled the FIRE equivalent of a knock off American Idol panel I think one thing is you seem like an absolute chill person. What was always unique about MMM was he literally was in your face "you clown!", etc in conveying his message. I am not saying it wasn't effective - it was very effective and entertaining - but is there the white angel version counterpart to the devil? And can it work?

I think we need more of MMB's story here and out on the inter-tubes than those who have high paying jobs.

*can I use MMB. Let us know what we should call you! Usually people don't use their real names. We need something. Are you keeping this forum name? And you can't leave use hanging here without making a choice. Else, I'll keep calling you MMB here.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2021, 06:16:29 AM »
I recommended OP participate here for two distinctive reasons

1- They want to use us as a focus group, and they'll get much more helpful participation if they post more around here than just in their own thread asking for information to help with their own product.

2- They asked me, specifically, how to convince resistant people in terms of messaging, and my advice is also to participate more here, because a forum is an amazing feedback system that can help people refine their communication style.

If they just want to go focus on making their videos, then that's their choice. I hope they keep us updated, because now I'm curious how this whole venture turns out.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2021, 08:15:25 AM »
Reading your posts and how you handled the FIRE equivalent of a knock off American Idol panel I think one thing is you seem like an absolute chill person.

@NaN Haha! I had the same thought! IDK if it's that I'm a chill person, although I appreciate your compliment. I think it's just that I've learned how to prioritize all my resources... not just money but also time and energy. Letting myself become emotionally consumed by a text based faceless internet slam to my ego just seems extremely futile.

MMB is fine for now, I'll be keeping this name on this forum, my name is TJ Chasteen IRL.

1- They want to use us as a focus group, and they'll get much more helpful participation if they post more around here than just in their own thread asking for information to help with their own product.

2- They asked me, specifically, how to convince resistant people in terms of messaging, and my advice is also to participate more here, because a forum is an amazing feedback system that can help people refine their communication style.

If they just want to go focus on making their videos, then that's their choice. I hope they keep us updated, because now I'm curious how this whole venture turns out.

@Malcat Don't worry Malcat, you're not a bad guy here. I'm still just trying to process that you are a woman.
I don't really know if it will matter or not whether he hangs out here and participates more in the end, but I do think he will get a much wider audience to learn from (and teach to) that could greatly enhance his message.

There are people here who are trying to make financial changes for the better (or to achieve FIRE) who come from low income jobs and live in communities where the culture of "spend it all and more" is very prevalent. So he might just pick up a few ideas here to help get his message across, as well as bounce some ideas he has off of us.

Plus, as a lower income blue collar FIREee myself who lived and worked in a VHCOL area ("what...!!!??? You don't own a Teslsa and a $500 Gucci purse?  The horror!") his message - here or on his videos - may help us as well. I know I learned a lot from the people here that "made it".

@spartana It may not matter, but my plan is to participate here more often. I do think there is value in it but it's also just fun to communicate with people who share a similar philosophy of life, it makes a man not feel alone.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2021, 08:19:24 AM »
Cool. Let us know when you put an episode out. Will check it out and give feedback.

@CowboyAndIndian Thanks here's the first video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlh9Y_Xzy2Q

It's just an intro to how I reached F.I.R.E. in 10 years on a teachers salary. They say it takes 50 to get good so I reckon I've got 49 to go.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2021, 08:44:04 AM »
Reading your posts and how you handled the FIRE equivalent of a knock off American Idol panel I think one thing is you seem like an absolute chill person.

@NaN Haha! I had the same thought! IDK if it's that I'm a chill person, although I appreciate your compliment. I think it's just that I've learned how to prioritize all my resources... not just money but also time and energy. Letting myself become emotionally consumed by a text based faceless internet slam to my ego just seems extremely futile.

MMB is fine for now, I'll be keeping this name on this forum, my name is TJ Chasteen IRL.

@Malcat Don't worry Malcat, you're not a bad guy here. I'm still just trying to process that you are a woman.
I don't really know if it will matter or not whether he hangs out here and participates more in the end, but I do think he will get a much wider audience to learn from (and teach to) that could greatly enhance his message.

There are people here who are trying to make financial changes for the better (or to achieve FIRE) who come from low income jobs and live in communities where the culture of "spend it all and more" is very prevalent. So he might just pick up a few ideas here to help get his message across, as well as bounce some ideas he has off of us.

Plus, as a lower income blue collar FIREee myself who lived and worked in a VHCOL area ("what...!!!??? You don't own a Teslsa and a $500 Gucci purse?  The horror!") his message - here or on his videos - may help us as well. I know I learned a lot from the people here that "made it".

@spartana It may not matter, but my plan is to participate here more often. I do think there is value in it but it's also just fun to communicate with people who share a similar philosophy of life, it makes a man not feel alone.

Wait until you find out that a bunch of the people who have replied are also women, including spartana.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2021, 04:02:37 PM »

@CowboyAndIndian Thanks here's the first video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlh9Y_Xzy2Q

It's just an intro to how I reached F.I.R.E. in 10 years on a teachers salary. They say it takes 50 to get good so I reckon I've got 49 to go.

Pretty good for a first video. I guess the teaching helps since I do not see Umm and Ahh's.

The video quality was quite good, but the sound level was low. Minor changes to make it better.

I have unsubscribed from YouTubers who have good content but put out such bad videos that I almost get a headache from watching. Jerky movements, bad sound, etc. Also, I like the fact that you had a definite direction and you did not bounce between ideas. That is something that can turn me/others off.

Some people are visual learners (need charts, or pictures) while others can learn from listening to others. I would suggest adding more visual content. Since you will provide a voiceover during visuals, you can cover both types of learners.

Liked and subscribed.

PS: Did you call VTSAX a SP500 fund??
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 04:35:13 PM by CowboyAndIndian »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2021, 04:11:31 PM »
^^^I'm a real girl! It's funny to me how people just assume you are a guy but I think that's normal (although a sad thing still imho).  Not making assumptions about your audience when doing video or any online contents is probably an important thing for the OP to have. Or maybe not since we are all just nameless, genderless, speciesless blobs ;-).

@spartana, you did not have these issues with your old avatar!

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2021, 06:38:06 PM »
Pretty good for a first video. I guess the teaching helps since I do not see Umm and Ahh's.

The video quality was quite good, but the sound level was low. Minor changes to make it better.

I have unsubscribed from YouTubers who have good content but put out such bad videos that I almost get a headache from watching. Jerky movements, bad sound, etc. Also, I like the fact that you had a definite direction and you did not bounce between ideas. That is something that can turn me/others off.

Some people are visual learners (need charts, or pictures) while others can learn from listening to others. I would suggest adding more visual content. Since you will provide a voiceover during visuals, you can cover both types of learners.

Liked and subscribed.

PS: Did you call VTSAX a SP500 fund??

Awesome, thanks for your feedback! I'll definitely be more conscious of volume next time and try to add in more visuals. Well that was a second take, in the first one direction was a problem but my wife set me straight.

Opps... I did refer to it as an SP500 fund, I guess that's how I always simplified thinking about it in my mind. I usually just check how the S&P500 is going and that tends to reflect my portfolio. Is that a major mistake on my part?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2021, 08:12:16 PM »

I do have a fun idea for a YouTube name but in the meantime I think I'll just start by posting my videos under my actual name.

I think the advice you've received about spending more time on content and don't worry so much about branding is good advice, but I also understand that when you start posting content, and then change a name, the original stuff can get lost in the shuffle.

I think the best thing to do is not to take it so seriously.  The name doesn't make or break you.  Look at the names mentioned in the thread and realize how stupid and idiotic they really are.  Yeah, some have a pun built in, but so many people don't realize that, that it doesn't seem to matter.  Some of my favorite names are just random words put together.  I think my screen name sounds incredibly professional (not really) when other people quote me, but it really is just simply the color of my house. 

This thread was one of my favorites:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/what's-in-a-name-username-meaning-discussion-thread/

« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 08:24:55 PM by BlueHouse »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2021, 07:33:53 AM »

Awesome, thanks for your feedback! I'll definitely be more conscious of volume next time and try to add in more visuals. Well that was a second take, in the first one direction was a problem but my wife set me straight.

Opps... I did refer to it as an SP500 fund, I guess that's how I always simplified thinking about it in my mind. I usually just check how the S&P500 is going and that tends to reflect my portfolio. Is that a major mistake on my part?

I've seen other YouTuber's put an online correction on the screen. You could do that!

Few more things I thought of.

One, do not overload information in one video. I know this was your first one, so you were putting out an overview, but from the next time, just one topic per video, please.

Second, do not make the videos overly long. My limit for a youtube video is 15 minutes. I know there is a financial incentive to have a longer video but ignore those incentives and create videos that your target would want to watch. I've seen so many YouTubers put the ad-revenue cart before the content horse.

Third, try and put in examples for your content. Personal real-world examples are better, but that means you have to expose some of your personal life.

Hope these help.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 07:37:53 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2021, 08:26:29 AM »
Really not a bad video

I agree with others that it's a lot of ground covered for one video, but I think if you go back and do individual videos covering each of the highlighted points you covered in detail, then it will work as an "intro set". I also agree with others to keep the content personal, and largely about your story. You don't really want to position yourself as a subject matter expert, because then you set yourself up to be picked apart. I mean, the internet will still pick apart a personal story, but you're not putting yourself in as much of a position to defend the content of what you are saying. Plus it's just more interesting.

Question though: is your 20K budget a household budget or is that your half of your budget? There's a huge difference between a couple living on 20K vs 40K. Also, is your spouse still working, or do they have their own 'stache? Again, there's a difference between a couple retiring on 500K vs half of a couple retiring on 500K.

If your spouse is still working, expect the Internet Retirement Police to come after you, which is fine, they come for almost all of the bloggers, but you need to be prepared either way with a legitimate response.

If your household budget is really only 20K, and you've retired as a couple on 500K, then you should very much play up how you've done that while still enjoying your life. You will mostly get blow back as to how living on so little is unrealistic or would be miserable. Also you didn't mention kids, so if you don't have them, be prepared for the "that's just impossible with kids", which is a response I frequently have to parry in my financial discussions because I don't have kids.

Overall, good use of your teaching skills, but my advice is to not get sucked into your reflex to try and teach people. Focus as much as you can on sharing with people, not lecturing them, and I think you will get more traction. Make your story the product, not the financial content, because that's really the thing of value that you have to offer.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2021, 08:32:39 AM »
here's the first video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlh9Y_Xzy2Q

I haven't been.able to see the Ops first video yet (stupid phone and since I'm pretty deaf I can only do closed captioning) but looking forward to it.

Pay attention to this comment from Spartana, @TJ. Usability is an important thing in video production, and you should be mindful of people with disabilities when publishing, because those sorts of usability improvements are helpful in general to more than just the hard of hearing.

although your annunciation and accent are both pretty clean relying on googles auto generated captioning basically has you're words a wash in a see of ever ending run on sentence with various error prone groods intruding into the stream of poorly capitol sentences for your viewers to reeds in this salad of words takes up to 48 hours for them to generate and come avail a bell after you post the video before it can even be turned on by the hard of hearing -#music#-

Make sense?

Doing proper captioning before publishing will not only make you look more polished, but also help the content potentially reach more people. Given the fact that I suspect you've at least roughly scripted what you've said, it probably shouldn't be very difficult or time consuming to do. Have a useful Tom Scott video on the topic.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 08:35:11 AM by Daley »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2021, 11:11:42 AM »

Pay attention to this comment from Spartana, @TJ. Usability is an important thing in video production, and you should be mindful of people with disabilities when publishing, because those sorts of usability improvements are helpful in general to more than just the hard of hearing.

although your annunciation and accent are both pretty clean relying on googles auto generated captioning basically has you're words a wash in a see of ever ending run on sentence with various error prone groods intruding into the stream of poorly capitol sentences for your viewers to reeds in this salad of words takes up to 48 hours for them to generate and come avail a bell after you post the video before it can even be turned on by the hard of hearing -#music#-

Make sense?

Doing proper captioning before publishing will not only make you look more polished, but also help the content potentially reach more people. Given the fact that I suspect you've at least roughly scripted what you've said, it probably shouldn't be very difficult or time consuming to do. Have a useful Tom Scott video on the topic.

Absolutely. I do not have any hearing issues but I turn on close captioning for a lot of shows. First, if I have any accent issues ( e.g. Australian or NZ) that I have problems with. The second is if my wife is working next door, I'll turn the volume down and watch with CC. The third is when the sound quality of the video is poor or a lot of background noise (I watch a lot of DIY shows), the auto-CC in youtube can understand them better than I can.

Totally agree with @Daley , go ahead an put in the CC when you push out the video.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2021, 11:25:47 AM »

You may want to change your signature under your profile to show the new youtube name.

PS: Tried out the link and it does go to your youtube account.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 11:32:12 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2021, 03:57:43 PM »
Thanks for adding this you guys. While I can read lips pretty good I mainly rely on closed captions for everything and never turn the volume on. Most TV and online CC is good but lots of You Tubers either don't have them or they are a very bad format. Probably few people with hearing issues though and the deaf/HOH FIRE community is probably very small. But still I appreciate the effort!

No problem. Honestly? In the web development work I've done over the years, I've tried to be incredibly mindful of accessibility. Graceful degradation (or progressive enhancement) of content, with websites still usable and accessible even from a command line web browser like Lynx to make it easier for screen readers and exotic accessibility controls, colorblind-friendly UI, etc. I'd always been more aware of suggesting and offering alternate input devices like trackballs as being better for arthritic people and exotic keyboards for carpal-tunnel sufferers, but between a friend and a rabbi who were both colorblind, it really made me think more about that sort of thing in general, and I honestly wish others did as well given how little extra effort it takes in the greater scheme of things.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2021, 07:52:21 PM »
I think the best thing to do is not to take it so seriously.  The name doesn't make or break you.  Look at the names mentioned in the thread and realize how stupid and idiotic they really are.  ...

This thread was one of my favorites:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/what's-in-a-name-username-meaning-discussion-thread/

@BlueHouse Your name makes me think of Bear in the Big Blue House! Agreed, plus taking it too seriously removes the fun which would make the endeavor short lived. Haha that thread... thanks for sharing!

I haven't been.able to see the Ops first video yet (stupid phone and since I'm pretty deaf I can only do closed captioning) but looking forward to it.

@spartana Hang tight! I'm going to add the CC in the next couple of days. I shamefully knew little about how it worked and now I feel like a real jerk. I'll let you know as soon as it's ready.

Few more things I thought of.

One, do not overload information in one video. I know this was your first one, so you were putting out an overview, but from the next time, just one topic per video, please.

Second, do not make the videos overly long. My limit for a youtube video is 15 minutes. I know there is a financial incentive to have a longer video but ignore those incentives and create videos that your target would want to watch. I've seen so many YouTubers put the ad-revenue cart before the content horse.

Third, try and put in examples for your content. Personal real-world examples are better, but that means you have to expose some of your personal life.

Hope these help.

@CowboyAndIndian They do help, thank you.

Being a fan of simplicity I like that approach as well. Better to make 4 specific short 5 minutes videos than 1 long 20 minute video.

I don't care about financial incentives... Good point on the personal examples, the analytics showed that people hung around during the part where I talking about how I saved money. It surprised me because I've always believed people don't give a crap about the teacher, it's about what the teacher has to offer them.

You may want to change your signature under your profile to show the new youtube name.

PS: Tried out the link and it does go to your youtube account.

Yeah it's frustrating, I've tried to change it and Youtube gives me an error. I've read that you have to have at least 1000 subscribers before their customer service will help. :(

Really not a bad video

I agree with others that it's a lot of ground covered for one video, but I think if you go back and do individual videos covering each of the highlighted points you covered in detail, then it will work as an "intro set". I also agree with others to keep the content personal, and largely about your story. You don't really want to position yourself as a subject matter expert, because then you set yourself up to be picked apart. I mean, the internet will still pick apart a personal story, but you're not putting yourself in as much of a position to defend the content of what you are saying. Plus it's just more interesting.

Question though: is your 20K budget a household budget or is that your half of your budget? There's a huge difference between a couple living on 20K vs 40K. Also, is your spouse still working, or do they have their own 'stache? Again, there's a difference between a couple retiring on 500K vs half of a couple retiring on 500K.

If your spouse is still working, expect the Internet Retirement Police to come after you, which is fine, they come for almost all of the bloggers, but you need to be prepared either way with a legitimate response.

If your household budget is really only 20K, and you've retired as a couple on 500K, then you should very much play up how you've done that while still enjoying your life. You will mostly get blow back as to how living on so little is unrealistic or would be miserable. Also you didn't mention kids, so if you don't have them, be prepared for the "that's just impossible with kids", which is a response I frequently have to parry in my financial discussions because I don't have kids.

Overall, good use of your teaching skills, but my advice is to not get sucked into your reflex to try and teach people. Focus as much as you can on sharing with people, not lecturing them, and I think you will get more traction. Make your story the product, not the financial content, because that's really the thing of value that you have to offer.

@Malcat Good point, I could definitely do a deep dive on each of the 4 points. Also great advice on not trying to play up that I'm an expert because I'm not, just someone who stumbled upon a great way to live and embraced it!

The $20k budget is just my half, so I guess not nearly as impressive. My SO and I keep our finances separate. She also teaches full time and is working toward FIRE as well but probably wont get there until she's 40 (8 years from now). She says she doesn't mind it though because she'd teach anyway, I told her she may not feel that way forever.

Also no kids! But I've researched that they cost around 6k per year and my wife and I could split that. Also housing is supposedly the biggest expense however with one of our bedrooms being empty in our 2 bedroom home we wouldn't need to upgrade. Regardless I wouldn't dare try to win an argument with someone who actually has kids... that's not winnable.

It's okay if the internet wants to beat me up, I'm just trying to help where I can, I've got nothing to lose because it can't hurt my ego that much when people who don't actually know me are slamming me and I'm self-aware enough already to know I'm not perfect and am quite okay with that. Also I believe in Theodore Roosevelt's Man in the Arena concept.

Thank you for the compliments, it goes against my grain not to play the teacher role but I'll work on it.

"Make your story the product, not the financial content" - There's a lot of value in that statement.

Make sense?

@Daley Absolutely I'll add it to this one and each in the future. Thanks for that link, Britain is on to something.

Also I've filmed the next video, it's about how to save money on internet. We live in a part of the world where Spectrum has a monopoly and my bill is $45 dollars lower a month for the same service as my friends. I think it could be useful. I'll let ya'll know when I finish editing. While I got the volume right this time, I screwed up and over exposed the video. *facepalm*
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 07:56:38 PM by mr.moneybeard »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2021, 08:06:30 PM »
@Daley Absolutely I'll add it to this one and each in the future. Thanks for that link, Britain is on to something.

Excellent. Don't feel bad about it, though, just be aware. Most people don't think about to begin with simply because it doesn't impact them.

Also I've filmed the next video, it's about how to save money on internet. We live in a part of the world where Spectrum has a monopoly and my bill is $45 dollars lower a month for the same service as my friends. I think it could be useful. I'll let ya'll know when I finish editing. While I got the volume right this time, I screwed up and over exposed the video. *facepalm*

Ha ha! Might not be a bad thing. There's someone's brain here in the forums you might want to pick before pushing that sucker out.

*cough*  >.>

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #139 on: March 16, 2021, 07:18:50 AM »
Okay, then I DEFINITELY recommend proactively owning that your household annual budget is actually 40K for two people, and that as a couple you are not yet FI. As you can tell from my questions, I genuinely had no idea, which means most people will either be confused, or assume one reality or another.

If they're assuming you actually have an insane household budget of 20K, and a retirement target of 500K, then they will very likely feel mislead when it turns out you have a much more comfortable budget of 40K for two people, and a retirement goal of 1M. That's what DH and I spend, and we consider our lifestyle very luxurious.

Those are very, very different realities, and if people feel mislead, they're likely to totally disregard anything you have to say, no matter how insightful. People are always looking for reasons to outright reject FI information, so don't preload the gun for them.

If you want what you've accomplished to be respected, it has to be clear from the get go what it is that you have accomplished.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2021, 07:35:58 AM »
I know Jacob from ERE took the same tactic you are (focusing on individual spend and stash) and he got dragged constantly by obnoxious people on the internet for the fact that he lived with his wife and that, while he had previously lived on $7k/year alone, he now paid half of a $14k/year budget split down the middle with her.

Mathematically it feels like no big deal but when you're telling people that they could be having a better and less stressful life but haven't made the choices that would produce that outcome up until now there is a lot of psychological pressure for them to come up with a reason that you're wrong or lying rather than realize they had good options open to them that they simply haven't taken advantage of.

The frugalwoods saga is another, more recent, example of a case where people felt quite mislead, and got rather anger with a personal finance/FIRE online personality. In that case it boiled down to the view that they had been misleading (although had not explicitly lied) about how much money they were making during the accumulation phase. A lot of people are really motived to find any reason to discredit or disregard people who are speaking about FI.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2021, 08:06:30 AM »
I know Jacob from ERE took the same tactic you are (focusing on individual spend and stash) and he got dragged constantly by obnoxious people on the internet for the fact that he lived with his wife and that, while he had previously lived on $7k/year alone, he now paid half of a $14k/year budget split down the middle with her.

Mathematically it feels like no big deal but when you're telling people that they could be having a better and less stressful life but haven't made the choices that would produce that outcome up until now there is a lot of psychological pressure for them to come up with a reason that you're wrong or lying rather than realize they had good options open to them that they simply haven't taken advantage of.

The frugalwoods saga is another, more recent, example of a case where people felt quite mislead, and got rather anger with a personal finance/FIRE online personality. In that case it boiled down to the view that they had been misleading (although had not explicitly lied) about how much money they were making during the accumulation phase. A lot of people are really motived to find any reason to discredit or disregard people who are speaking about FI.

Exactly, it's not that you're saying anything wrong, or even inaccurate, it's that this path has been tread many times, and you can learn from the experiences of others. Because it was totally unclear to me, I see how it could be perceived as very misleading to others.

Even if you are up front, you will still probably be dragged because it's unavoidable, but I strongly recommend avoiding being misleading whenever possible if you are putting your personal life up for public consumption.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2021, 10:54:04 AM »
Kids cost $6k/year. LOL. Like kids are a leased car or an annual electric bill.

There's um...a lot of variability in how much kids cost/year. Is your plan to take care of them in retirement, thus neither accruing daycare expenses or the opportunity cost of a career forgone? What about health insurance for them? Kids are a really big factor in FIRE. I admit that I do not take FIRE bloggers nearly as seriously if they don't have children.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2021, 12:30:25 PM »
Another vote for full disclosure and transparency. Videos like yours (or really, almost any DIY instructional) are built on an underlying message to the viewer of "If I can do this, you can, too." That's why we watch them--because you seem like one of us, and we want to do what you did that seems out of reach for someone like us, so we want to find out how you did it and emulate you. We who, like you, earn teacher-level salaries want to learn how to spend $20k/year, as you do, so that we can reach FIRE, as you did. [That's why we linger when you talk about saving money!]

If in fact there's some relevant way in which you are significantly different from the "us" watching, that needs to clear upfront. If your $20k spending is possible only because of the costs you share with your wife, or if your stache got started by a $200k inheritance, we need to know that. We won't stop watching, but we'll know not to expect the same results in our lives if we don't have that in common with you.

On the flip side of the coin, if you don't have kids, do not try to give advice or make predictions about achieving FIRE with them. Just don't.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #144 on: March 16, 2021, 12:49:51 PM »
Another vote for full disclosure and transparency. Videos like yours (or really, almost any DIY instructional) are built on an underlying message to the viewer of "If I can do this, you can, too." That's why we watch them--because you seem like one of us, and we want to do what you did that seems out of reach for someone like us, so we want to find out how you did it and emulate you. We who, like you, earn teacher-level salaries want to learn how to spend $20k/year, as you do, so that we can reach FIRE, as you did. [That's why we linger when you talk about saving money!]

If in fact there's some relevant way in which you are significantly different from the "us" watching, that needs to clear upfront. If your $20k spending is possible only because of the costs you share with your wife, or if your stache got started by a $200k inheritance, we need to know that. We won't stop watching, but we'll know not to expect the same results in our lives if we don't have that in common with you.

On the flip side of the coin, if you don't have kids, do not try to give advice or make predictions about achieving FIRE with them. Just don't.

Agreed on that last point, but if you are planning on having kids, doing an episode on budgeting for having kids would be great. Especially if you interviewed a frugal set of parents who could go over what they did and give you advice for your own.

If I were a frugal, moderate income person contemplating kids, I would watch that.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2021, 01:34:22 PM »
Let me push back a bit at the framing of "If in fact there's some relevant way in which you are significantly different from the "us" watching, that needs to clear upfront. If your $20k spending is possible only because of the costs you share with your wife ..."

The key advice I would have is that it doesn't matter if it is relevant, nor does it matter if you could support the same lifestyle on your own with the same spending or not.

That, I think is how people get into trouble. Because they, correctly or incorrectly, perceive that it isn't relevant and conclude, correctly or incorrectly, that they could indeed support the same lifestyle for themselves if they weren't splitting expenses but also weren't having to pay for two people.

What really matters is whether people might tell themselves a given financial detail was relevant. One can make a very strong logical argument that this is an unfair standard. But it seems to be the standard at play in our field. So it's better to be conscious of it and take it into account from the beginning.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2021, 04:12:55 PM »
spartana, I don't necessarily disagree with you.

I guess my point is that if the framing is "disclose what it relevant" that leads to a very different and smaller set of disclosures than "disclose what someone else might think is relevant, regardless of whether you personally believe it to be relevant."

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2021, 10:29:12 AM »
spartana, I don't necessarily disagree with you.

I guess my point is that if the framing is "disclose what it relevant" that leads to a very different and smaller set of disclosures than "disclose what someone else might think is relevant, regardless of whether you personally believe it to be relevant."
I can see that. I don't have kids so rarely think about kids in terms of cost or lifestyle. While not relevant to me when I was working toward FIRE, it would be to others. Etc...  I still think I'd disclose the fact that I don't have kids (or was married to someone who was contributing financially)  if I was a blogger giving advice on how I reached FI,  but if the message is about frugality and saving money then it probably wouldn't matter. Cutting excess spending and throwing the extra money into savings is really the main relevant  message.

Yeah, but that message resonates because of people's personal stories. There isn't a person out there who will watch those videos who doesn't already know that spending less and saving more is a good idea.

Stories resonate because they're human. The math needs to be made into a narrative for someone to start caring, otherwise they would already care about it and wouldn't need the video.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2021, 11:38:13 AM »
@Malcat @maizefolk @AMandM

With consideration toward full transparency I think at some point throughout this first year of making videos I'll have some that focus explicitly on some of the points you've brought up.

-A deep dive on my annual expenses highlighting which bills I get a 50% discount on because I split them with my wife. In this video I might also talk about why I've always had a roommate in my adult years and the pros/cons. Also how to find a good roommate because I've got a good story on that one. I found my first roommate on Craigslist and interviewed him before moving in, we ended up becoming such good friends that I was his best man when he got married.

-Our experiences with keeping money separate in marriage and why we have found it helpful in our relationship. Maybe even an episode on my wife's progress toward FIRE with her sharing her thoughts/feeling on it.

-How my relationship changed with teaching after I reached FI and why I enjoy it more now and continue to teach.

@englishteacheralex

-If we ever get pregnant I could make a prediction video on what the first year expenses will be and then a follow up after the first year to see where I went wrong/right.

Thanks to all of you for helping me realize how important the personal story aspect is of a vlog. Hopefully the transparency comes out over time as it is naturally put into each video.

@spartana

CC has been added! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlh9Y_Xzy2Q

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2021, 11:51:50 AM »
I would just start with an episode that simply tells your story. Your first video explained the concepts and provided a framework for the subject matter, and a second video can provide a framework of you and your personal story.

You can't expect viewers to get invested in what you have to say unless they understand where you are coming from. You aren't a subject matter expert, so that's not your framework. You're a normal guy who you want people to relate to, so before getting into the weeds, let people relate to you.

So that's what I would do it I were you, just tell the story first without trying to educate anyone. Then break it all down into the specific subjects.