Author Topic: MrMoneyBeard a Good Brand Name?  (Read 14958 times)

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
Re: MrMoneyBeard a Good Brand Name?
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2021, 05:16:37 PM »
Bro - its in poor taste, scummy and sleazy, any fan of MMM wouldnt endorse the site, come up with a different name

you are missing the sarcasm, let this go

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2021, 05:23:09 PM »

Hmm... What about just "Simple Man"? Obviously there's no indication of money in the title but once a viewer gets a taste of the content, perhaps it'll make sense? Has a good ring to it I think. Domain name is currently for sale.

I would assume it's a blog about an idiot

Care to elaborate?

My target audience would be people making under $50,000 a year. Lots of blue collar workers, etc. There's a lot of admiration in those circles for people who just live simply.
[/quote]

Simple is a synonym for stupid, so when I read "Simple Man" I can't help but think "Idiot Man".

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • youtube.com/mrmoneybeard
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2021, 06:02:40 PM »
Simple is a synonym for stupid, so when I read "Simple Man" I can't help but think "Idiot Man".

Haha, well it's not simpleton. Surely you've heard the Lynyrd Skynyrd song?

Being a simple man is knowing oneself, what authentically and genuinely brings happiness. And not wasting time or money on things that don't. At least that's my take but I grew up in southern ohio and KY.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2021, 06:10:16 PM »

Haha, well it's not simpleton. Surely you've heard the Lynyrd Skynyrd song?

Being a simple man is knowing oneself, what authentically and genuinely brings happiness. And not wasting time or money on things that don't. At least that's my take but I grew up in southern ohio and KY.

That's cool, it can mean for you whatever you want it to mean, but I'm giving you feedback on branding and letting you know that at least some of your audience will read "simple man" and not automatically think of "living authentically" or Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Maybe most will and I'm an outlier, but "idiot dude" as a synonym was the first thing that popped into my head when I read it.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2021, 06:20:45 PM »
That's cool, it can mean for you whatever you want it to mean, but I'm giving you feedback on branding and letting you know that at least some of your audience will read "simple man" and not automatically think of "living authentically" or Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Maybe most will and I'm an outlier, but "idiot dude" as a synonym was the first thing that popped into my head when I read it.

Yeah that's a good point and don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your feedback.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2021, 10:40:51 AM »
I think Saving Benjamin is cute. I would stay away from the pirate stuff.

Domain name is currently for sale.

you don't need to buy a domain name right now. You're making videos right? You can put anything you want for the channel name and even change it regularly to try new things.

How about hillbilly money or something similar?

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2021, 03:49:38 PM »
livingstingy blog is awesome. I vehemently disagree with him all the time, but he posts almost every day and is loads of fun to read. And yes, he does make fun of MMM and Financial Samurai all the time. It kinda makes me love him all the more. You can't comment on his blog posts but if you email him he always emails back. At least, that's been my experience.

I just started reading that blog and agree. He's definitely a curmudgeon but the posts are thought provoking.

Thanks, I'll start reading his posts.

Bearded Budgeteer (tm)

I love it!

What do ya'll all think about MoneyBeard? Going the pirate theme? Gotta stash your gold in the magic treasure chest that will give you 4 gold coins for every 100 you save.

Or Saving Benjamin?

Saving Benjamin seems too close to Stacking Benjamins, a podcast.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2021, 07:17:28 PM »

you don't need to buy a domain name right now. You're making videos right? You can put anything you want for the channel name and even change it regularly to try new things.

Thank you, I really needed to hear that. Yeah I've been thinking about a hillbilly esque name, but then again there's hillbilly elegy which has taken the world by storm!

Dang it, it's hard to be original!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 07:19:07 PM by mr.moneybeard »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2021, 07:30:33 AM »

Thank you, I really needed to hear that. Yeah I've been thinking about a hillbilly esque name, but then again there's hillbilly elegy which has taken the world by storm!

Dang it, it's hard to be original!

It's not hard to be original in a crowded space where many a clever folk have tread before.

However, your name barely matters. Mr Money Moustache isn't even a great name, Go Curry Cracker is even worse, and yet, they're both hugely popular blogs and very respected in the space.

If anything, a distinctive name helps make you memorable, because there are countless people in the space with somewhat clever but similar sounding names, and I often have a hard time keeping straight who's who.

If I had a FIRE blog I would probably call it "Forty Pounds of Beans" or "Go Budget Yourself" or "This Math is Hard" as an ironic reference to the famous talking Barbie Doll AND MMM's most famous post.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2021, 12:10:40 PM »
Go Curry Cracker is even worse, and yet, they're both hugely popular blogs and very respected in the space.

If anything, a distinctive name helps make you memorable, because there are countless people in the space with somewhat clever but similar sounding names, and I often have a hard time keeping straight who's who.

If I had a FIRE blog I would probably call it "Forty Pounds of Beans" or "Go Budget Yourself" or "This Math is Hard" as an ironic reference to the famous talking Barbie Doll AND MMM's most famous post.

I had the same thought regarding Go Curry Cracker.  I like Forty Pounds of Beans, that's clever. Yeah I need not get hung up on a name at this point and just see if the content resonates.

Here's where I'm at with all feedback being considered. Most are hokey I know...

Fun: MrMoneyBags
To hell with it: Greenbean (I'm vegetarian, love the outdoors, green goes with money, etc...)

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 02:45:15 PM by mr.moneybeard »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2021, 12:59:37 PM »
Thoughts?

If you put in half as much thought on the actual content you create as you have with the triviality of the name at this point?

Not only won't you have any problem finding an audience, you'd already have content shaping your "branding identity" to play with.

You're putting the cart before the horse, dude.

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2021, 01:53:51 PM »

I'd choose a brand name that's immediately indicative of your "strategies and philosophy of life" as they relate to FIRE.

I'd consider  the following brand names.

Mr. Retire Soon and Simple

Mr. Retire Early and Simple

Mr. Retire Free and Simple

I skimmed the other comments - so I hope I'm not being repetitious. The problem with MrMoneyBeard (in addition to being too close of a rip-off of MMM) is that it assumes a lot of knowledge. It's the same thing with other suggestions related only to money.  You've got to put yourself in the mindset of an average person who probably doesn't know what the FIRE acronym stands for. If you're using something like "MoneyBeard" - the average person's first impression could be one of a thousand:
- is this a product for beards?
- does he want to sell me some stocks that have to do with beards?
- Is the an MLM focused on beard oil?
- Is he going to try to sell me insurance or sign up for his newsletter to get stock tips?
- Is this an investment for some type of pirate-related product?
yadda, etc.
-

I agree with JGalt - use a name that is simple and clear about the goals and perspective you want to share (or at least have it in a tagline). It will help people quickly determine if they want to read/watch your content.

Things Like:
- Coach TJ - a PE teacher who retired at 30 (I realize you're not retired yet, but you get the idea)
- (Mr.) GreenJeans - Learn how a teacher could retire by 32
- (what do your students call you?)

I'm a big fan of the https://storybrand.com/ framework - I think Donald Miller's book is well worth the price and time to read it. They're big on keeping marketing simple and straightforward.

Good luck and congrats on your hard work paying off and being in a position to help others.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2021, 05:30:30 PM »
None of us want to milk cows!! I don't really have any suggestions but I'd stick with something that fits your life as a frugal simple living teacher rather then try to appeal to everyone. Also check out Early Retirement Extreme (ERE) if you haven't yet.

Why not? It's a kinship like no other ;). Thanks, I'll probably just stick with my name for now and thanks for the reminder on ERE, it's been awhile!

I'm a big fan of the https://storybrand.com/ framework - I think Donald Miller's book is well worth the price and time to read it. They're big on keeping marketing simple and straightforward.

Good luck and congrats on your hard work paying off and being in a position to help others.

Thanks for the encouragement, I think I'll just stick with my name for now. TJ Chasteen and flash my favorite quote after the intro. "That man is richest whole pleasures are cheapest." - Thoreau.

I downloaded StoryBrand and have already listened to the first chapter, thanks for the recommendation!

Boll weevil

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2021, 05:45:49 PM »
Part of the problem with Mr Moneybeard is that you lose the inherent word play.

Moneymustache = money must stash

Moneybeard = money beard (unless you want to allude to one of the other meanings of beard, but I think that reference will be lost on most people). (Breadbeard may work, bread of course being an old slang term for money and whole name resembling Redbeard, as in pirate, friend of Sherlock, etc. But a quick google search turns up several of those that already exist).

I’d probably try to come up with something using my initials.

If you want to use your middle name, you could play around with other meanings of the word. For instance, “don” can mean to put on... if you really wanted to go arcane you could use something with doff (which means to take off). Don can also mean mafia boss. Or you could also try to play on some phrase containing “dawn”

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2021, 06:32:10 PM »
None of us want to milk cows!! I don't really have any suggestions but I'd stick with something that fits your life as a frugal simple living teacher rather then try to appeal to everyone. Also check out Early Retirement Extreme (ERE) if you haven't yet.

Why not? It's a kinship like no other ;). Thanks, I'll probably just stick with my name for now and thanks for the reminder on ERE, it's been awhile!

Thanks for the encouragement, I think I'll just stick with my name for now. TJ Chasteen and flash my favorite quote after the intro. "That man is richest whole pleasures are cheapest." - Thoreau.

I downloaded StoryBrand and have already listened to the first chapter, thanks for the recommendation!

It's really too bad that the name Wannabe Walden is already taken by a FIRE blogger because I was going to suggest "A Walden Wannabe".

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2021, 09:20:35 PM »
Kind of reminds me of:

One of those brands is the first that came to mind for me as well.

Too close in every way, without the benefit of costing less.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2021, 08:37:29 PM »
Great news peeps! I have come up with a name that is me, I love, and I think you will love. I'm negotiating the domain right now so I'm going to wait unti l I get it but I will be sharing it soon.

Also, I filmed a video talking about my FIRE story/motivations, so I'll be posting it this Saturday I'm excited to hear what ya'll think!

Moneymustache = money must stash

Thanks for the ideas! Also, I never in all these years made the connection to "must stash" lol.

Too close in every way, without the benefit of costing less.

But it was going to cost less because I was going to pay you to utilize my services...

lol. Cow kinship aside have you read forum member @arebelspy blog yet? Can't remember what he named it or if he still posts there but he and his wife both retired under 30 as school teachers and live a nice frugal life. They had a few write ups in various FI spaces too plus were part of the recent "Playing With FIRE" movie. Maybe he will come along with some suggestions.

Thanks for sharing this, were they the teachers talking during the Camp Mustache scene? I am really interested to learn how they got their combined income to under $20k, impressive!

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2021, 08:51:55 PM »
Great news peeps! I have come up with a name that is me, I love, and I think you will love. I'm negotiating the domain right now so I'm going to wait unti l I get it but I will be sharing it soon.

Also, I filmed a video talking about my FIRE story/motivations, so I'll be posting it this Saturday I'm excited to hear what ya'll think!
I'd challenge you to have 100 posts contributing to this forum community, before you continue trying to extract advice and page-views from it.
These first 25, all about your brand, don't count.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2021, 07:55:12 AM »
I'd challenge you to have 100 posts contributing to this forum community, before you continue trying to extract advice and page-views from it.

I'm excited to get more involved in this forum, boggle heads is great and I think there's a lot of crossover but it does seem that those folks tend be more wealthy and not necessarily about frugal living. So this may become my new online hang-out when I have time to kill!

Brand was a terrible choice of semantics, I take responsibility for that I should have said "nickname". Brand makes it sound like I'm Mr. Fancypants rather than a human being who likes talking about a passion.

NaN

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2021, 08:01:09 AM »
Good luck with the new brand. I think there is a market for a MMM follow-on. It is always good to for someone to bring a new take on the same topic. I hated MMM last post on margin loans- I think MMM's success in his wild adventure has put him in a category that I don't think is quite relatable to me anymore. This community is great and I appreciate you reaching out to people here first. There is no guarantee it will work out, and it sounds like you can always hang out here if it doesn't. Best of luck!

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2021, 08:55:12 AM »
I'm not sure if this thread is facetious or serious but it cracked me up.

Also I never realised moustache = must stash.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2021, 09:02:51 AM »

I'm excited to get more involved in this forum, boggle heads is great and I think there's a lot of crossover but it does seem that those folks tend be more wealthy and not necessarily about frugal living. So this may become my new online hang-out when I have time to kill!

Brand was a terrible choice of semantics, I take responsibility for that I should have said "nickname". Brand makes it sound like I'm Mr. Fancypants rather than a human being who likes talking about a passion.

Nope. Brand doesn't make you sound fancy pants, it makes you sound like you are trying to market yourself, which you've made clear us exactly what you are trying to do.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2021, 09:29:48 AM »

Nope. Brand doesn't make you sound fancy pants, it makes you sound like you are trying to market yourself, which you've made clear us exactly what you are trying to do.

Yup. For someone who claims to care more about wanting to help others by sharing information than their "nickname", you've done precious little of the first since coming here and an awful lot of the second, Moneybeard.

Also, the fact that you're "negotiating" to purchase an already existing domain for a name that is supposedly you, that you love, and think we'll all love? Yeah. No.

We gave you the benefit of the doubt, dude, but you showed your true motivation over the past two weeks.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2021, 09:44:55 AM »
Good luck with the new brand. I think there is a market for a MMM follow-on. It is always good to for someone to bring a new take on the same topic. I hated MMM last post on margin loans- I think MMM's success in his wild adventure has put him in a category that I don't think is quite relatable to me anymore. This community is great and I appreciate you reaching out to people here first. There is no guarantee it will work out, and it sounds like you can always hang out here if it doesn't. Best of luck!

Thanks NaN! Yeah I'm hoping I can inspire poor white people, especially those that grew up in Appalachia see that there's hope. Speaking from experience, there's a deflating culture around the poor here in the Midwest where they have no idea what else is out there. If I could just convince my family to stop buying pop, cigarettes, and lottery tickets their life would increase tenfold!

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2021, 07:28:51 AM »

Thanks NaN! Yeah I'm hoping I can inspire poor white people, especially those that grew up in Appalachia see that there's hope. Speaking from experience, there's a deflating culture around the poor here in the Midwest where they have no idea what else is out there. If I could just convince my family to stop buying pop, cigarettes, and lottery tickets their life would increase tenfold!

Spoiler alert: you can't convince them. Stick around and read some of the threads on that topic.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2021, 07:42:22 AM »

MMM was almost assuredly never relatable to the demographic you are describing fwiw.

I think it probably would be better to actually ask folks in your target audience what they think. I do not think the average MMM forumite is remotely close to that demographic and lifestyle to know what would resonate.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2021, 08:33:13 AM »

Spoiler alert: you can't convince them. Stick around and read some of the threads on that topic.

I don't think this is fair.

MMM convinced a lot of middle and upper middle class folks that they didn't need to inflate their lifestyle. It's not impossible to inspire people to healthier habits, it's just incredibly difficult (says the health professional who was well known for convincing people to take on healthier habits).

I'm sure OP can still gain a lot from participating here, especially if they stop just directly trying to solicit us for focus-group type information. Because yes, that is useless from us as we are not his demographic. Plus it's super fucking annoying and presumptuous from someone who none of us know.

However, he can learn A LOT from participating here, such as how to present ideas without pissing off the people he's trying to engage. Having his ideas challenged and refined.

My participation on forums is a huge part of why I became so successful at persuading my patients, because forums don't hold back. They rip you to shreds if you're a bit over confident, if your facts are even slightly wrong, or even if you're just unclear about them.

If OP wants to learn how to contribute to this very crowded space of wisdom, then where better to refine his skills than on this forum, which is JAM PACKED with people who are unbelievably wise in this area? And much, MUCH smarter than him in many areas.

I don't mean that as an insult, we have such a range of expertise here, everyone is guaranteed to interact with others who blow them away in terms of knowledge in some important area.

I personally don't read personal finance blogs, I've honestly only read about a 8 blog entries in total, including those of MMM, because I don't find them nearly as useful as the conversations here.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 08:35:08 AM by Malcat »

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2021, 08:51:56 AM »

There is a cliche in personal finance: "the latte factor." The stereotypical example is the calculation of how many thousands of dollars someone with a daily starbucks habit would save over five years if they gave up the habit. They are easy articles to write and people are always shocked by the totals. But I don't know that they are effective in convincing people to change their behavior. Stopping small habits whose expense adds up over time is hard: you have to maintain the change for a long time to see a significance change and you have to exert willpower on a daily or hourly basis.

I think part of what made Jacob at ERE and Pete at MMM so effective is they focus on the biggest ticket items first: how much you pay for where you live, what you eat, and how you move from one place to another. If you make a big change in one of those areas it takes mustering willpower once, they see results much faster (because the savings are larger), and it is a lot of work to change back so it's not a constant use of willpower/executive function to try to sustain the new lifestyle.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2021, 08:55:16 AM »

I wouldn't say it's impossible. It really just comes down to lack of knowledge or having seen another lifestyle. In my circles I'm the person a lot these people know who connect can with them yet don't live paycheck to paycheck. It's been a grind but I've able to get my mom and brother to start thinking slightly differently about money (they at least roll their own cigarettes now, lol). And they have good intentions, they're always telling me they'd like me to show them how to set up a Mint account, although it hasn't happened yet.

It's just weird, it's like living a bubble where everyone they see lives a certain way so they just don't know anything different. I guess that's not too much different than people who've never heard of FIRE.

Even with investments, buying stocks seems so foreign to them, like they realize you can do it online, that it's not much different than purchasing something off of Amazon. When they're looking to invest it's more along the lines of buying old cars, trailers, and lawn mowers and flipping them.

If you don't mind can you point me in the direction of some of the treads you're thinking of?

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2021, 09:00:13 AM »
MMM was almost assuredly never relatable to the demographic you are describing fwiw.

I think it probably would be better to actually ask folks in your target audience what they think. I do not think the average MMM forumite is remotely close to that demographic and lifestyle to know what would resonate.

Well MMM inspired me and I come from that demographic. What it was about him is that he lived like he was poor which was cool, he speaks down to Earth, and the whole badass vibe resonates with that crowd. When you're poor your reputation holds a lot of value and one way to inflate that value is be the meanest toughest guy/gal around.

Yeah it's easy for me to ask them what they think because I'm close to them. I don't have any friends that have actually gone the route of FIRE so hearing from ya'll is a nice change of pace, even if you're from different backgrounds.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 09:17:15 AM by mr.moneybeard »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2021, 09:02:51 AM »

There is a cliche in personal finance: "the latte factor." The stereotypical example is the calculation of how many thousands of dollars someone with a daily starbucks habit would save over five years if they gave up the habit. They are easy articles to write and people are always shocked by the totals. But I don't know that they are effective in convincing people to change their behavior. Stopping small habits whose expense adds up over time is hard: you have to maintain the change for a long time to see a significance change and you have to exert willpower on a daily or hourly basis.

I think part of what made Jacob at ERE and Pete at MMM so effective is they focus on the biggest ticket items first: how much you pay for where you live, what you eat, and how you move from one place to another. If you make a big change in one of those areas it takes mustering willpower once, they see results much faster (because the savings are larger), and it is a lot of work to change back so it's not a constant use of willpower/executive function to try to sustain the new lifestyle.

Not only that, but they address the happiness component beyond just saving money.

When someone's vices feel like the only way to get through the day, and the path to a moderately increased financial well-being comes at the cost of giving up the only reassuring part of their day, well, that's a tough sell because it's condescending and not at all compassionate.

To say "if I could just convince my family to stop buying pop, cigarettes, and lottery tickets their life would increase tenfold!" is a nice sentiment, but totally disregards they why of those behaviours in the first place.

Now, perhaps OP, coming from that world *is* well equipped to understand and get through to that very population, but it's going to be a challenge, and one that will not be very compelling through math alone.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2021, 09:16:11 AM »
If OP wants to learn how to contribute to this very crowded space of wisdom, then where better to refine his skills than on this forum, which is JAM PACKED with people who are unbelievably wise in this area? And much, MUCH smarter than him in many areas.

I don't mean that as an insult, we have such a range of expertise here, everyone is guaranteed to interact with others who blow them away in terms of knowledge in some important area.

I'm learning that quick Malcat.

Ya know it really is about habit building. I've loaned my Power of Habit and Atomic Habits book to some people in this demographic but problem is they don't read! lol. I don't mean they're dumb, just they're not into reading book or audible.

What you say about the big ticket items makes a lot sense. They thing is that these people are already about a low as you can get in those areas. Like they're living in subsidized housing or trailers, driving beaters or catching a ride to work, food stamps to supplement groceries. However when they do get a little tiny bit of cash instead of saving it so they can get in position to have breathing room to upgrade their life they buy quick pleasures to fill a gap. IDK it's tricky.

At that stage though even just $1000 is enough to transform a life. I remember when I bought my brother a $1200 car, he went from poverty to middle class simply because it opened up the ability for him to work outside of walking distance and he was able to find a better paying job.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 09:18:58 AM by mr.moneybeard »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2021, 09:28:31 AM »

I'm learning that quick Malcat.

Ya know it really is about habit building. I've loaned my Power of Habit and Atomic Habits book to some people in this demographic but problem is they don't read! lol. I don't mean they're dumb, just they're not into reading book or audible.

What you say about the big ticket items makes a lot sense. They thing is that these people are already about a low as you can get in those areas. Like they're living in subsidized housing or trailers, driving beaters or catching a ride to work, food stamps to supplement groceries. However when they do get a little tiny bit of cash instead of saving it so they can get in position to have breathing room to upgrade their life they buy quick pleasures to fill a gap. IDK it's tricky.

At that stage though even just $1000 is enough to transform a life. I remember when I bought my brother a $1200 car, he went from poverty to middle class simply because it opened up the ability for him to work outside of walking distance and he was able to find a better paying job.

You're making a critical logic error here. If they wanted to change their habits, they would read the book.

The only people who read habit-changing books are people who proactively want to change their habits. A self help books is only helpful to the person who wanted that help in the first place.

Few self help books are actually very good, people find inspiration in them because they're already past the contemplation stage of making a change.

I've also lived among this population, but I get why they maintain these habits. I've worked with a huge range of populations, you have to understand what motivates them before you can persuade them to change their behaviors.

Giving someone who isn't interested in changing their habits a book on changing habits is about as useful as giving an atheist a Bible and telling them it will save them.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2021, 09:35:20 AM »
You're making a critical logic error here. If they wanted to change their habits, they would read the book.

The only people who read habit-changing books are people who proactively want to change their habits. A self help books is only helpful to the person who wanted that help in the first place.

Few self help books are actually very good, people find inspiration in them because they're already past the contemplation stage of making a change.

I've also lived among this population, but I get why they maintain these habits. I've worked with a huge range of populations, you have to understand what motivates them before you can persuade them to change their behaviors.

Giving someone who isn't interested in changing their habits a book on changing habits is about as useful as giving an atheist a Bible and telling them it will save them.

Maybe so, but they're the ones who say they are interested. I'll hear comments like, "damn you've got more discipline than anyone I know." And I'll say something along the lines of no I don't, it's just habits you'd be surprised how powerful they are. And we get to talking and I bring up a book and they say they'd like to read it sometime. But it never goes anywhere.

They're very aspirational. How would you help a person like that? I don't want to just not intervene especially with my loved ones.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2021, 09:45:47 AM »

Maybe so, but they're the ones who say they are interested. I'll hear comments like, "damn you've got more discipline than anyone I know." And I'll say something along the lines of no I don't, it's just habits you'd be surprised how powerful they are. And we get to talking and I bring up a book and they say they'd like to read it sometime. But it never goes anywhere.

They're very aspirational. How would you help a person like that? I don't want to just not intervene especially with my loved ones.

I'm not saying not to help, I'm saying that if you want to help, you need to learn how to, especially if you want your blog to actually resonate with people.

One method I suggested was to go through the trial-by-fire of becoming an active member here. As you can see from this thread, we're a challenging crowd.

Another is actually study human behaviour, which is also what I did.

Another is to gain respect as an expert, which can be done in a lot of ways.

Persuading people to change their behaviour requires a combination of things:
-respect from people that you actually know what you are talking about
-understanding of the basis of the behaviour you are trying to alter
-excellent sales skills

You can be a top notch expert and it won't make people listen to you. Many people pay experts like me huge sums of money for our extremely well informed advice and then don't take it.

You have to figure out what motivates people AND how to change that fundamental motivation.

It's a lot more involved than just feeling like you know better for people how they should live.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2021, 10:01:35 AM »
I'm not saying not to help, I'm saying that if you want to help, you need to learn how to, especially if you want your blog to actually resonate with people.

One method I suggested was to go through the trial-by-fire of becoming an active member here. As you can see from this thread, we're a challenging crowd.

-excellent sales skills

You can be a top notch expert and it won't make people listen to you. Many people pay experts like me huge sums of money for our extremely well informed advice and then don't take it.

You have to figure out what motivates people AND how to change that fundamental motivation.

It's a lot more involved than just feeling like you know better for people how they should live.

Upon reflection what I think I'm going to do is try and make some videos and mainly focus on sharing them with people I already know. I think they'd think that was neat and I know they do watch Youtube, maybe then it could open up some conversations locally.

Any resources you can recommend on human behavior? Out of curiosity what kind of services do you provide?

I'm really not thinking of trying to be a big time expert, for me growing up I never trusted people outside of my circles, I'd take a person with common sense that I can relate to over a genius who came from a different background any day. For the same reasons that I like teaching, I think helping people more hands on and face to face might be most rewarding. If I can expand the circle, that'd be cool too, but not necessary to make the time developing the videos worth it.

Their motivation! Thanks, that's a great starting place.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2021, 01:56:39 PM »

-excellent sales skills

Upon reflection what I think I'm going to do is try and make some videos and mainly focus on sharing them with people I already know. I think they'd think that was neat and I know they do watch Youtube, maybe then it could open up some conversations locally.

Any resources you can recommend on human behavior? Out of curiosity what kind of services do you provide?

I'm really not thinking of trying to be a big time expert, for me growing up I never trusted people outside of my circles, I'd take a person with common sense that I can relate to over a genius who came from a different background any day. For the same reasons that I like teaching, I think helping people more hands on and face to face might be most rewarding. If I can expand the circle, that'd be cool too, but not necessary to make the time developing the videos worth it.

Their motivation! Thanks, that's a great starting place.

The thing is, you have to be respected as some kind of expert if you want people to listen to you, even if you're just respected as the small time expert within your immediate group.

MMM gets his credibility from having actually retired at 30. That gives him credibility among people seeking wisdom about retiring early.

If you want to influence people, they either have to already believe in you, or your content has to inspire them to believe in you.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2021, 02:57:32 PM »
The thing is, you have to be respected as some kind of expert if you want people to listen to you, even if you're just respected as the small time expert within your immediate group.

MMM gets his credibility from having actually retired at 30. That gives him credibility among people seeking wisdom about retiring early.

If you want to influence people, they either have to already believe in you, or your content has to inspire them to believe in you.

True, I've got the respect covered in my immediate group, they already come to me for advice. While it's not much to have a college degree, be a teacher, be fit, married long-term and be driving a 2015 Prius to people in this forum... It breaks the mold for the low-income culture/crowd.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2021, 04:47:37 PM »

True, I've got the respect covered in my immediate group, they already come to me for advice. While it's not much to have a college degree, be a teacher, be fit, married long-term and be driving a 2015 Prius to people in this forum... It breaks the mold for the low-income culture/crowd.

N'ah, that shit is pretty respected here too.

But do these people actually listen to you?

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2021, 06:45:08 PM »

They may say they are interested, and they may be in that moment. I have a friend who always says he is interested, always asking me about saving and how he should do it, etc. but he never actually does anything. So whatever, I just smile and nod when he buys a new vehicle. Yeah it’s frustrating, but it’s his life, so whatever. The only thing you can control is yourself.

I believe we have a forum member that is from an area like yours. I can’t remember the name off the top of my head.

I know I mentioned it above, but there are a few thread around not only specifically about trying to move people toward mustachianism, but there are are also several about poverty in general. I’ll try to find some links at some point.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2021, 06:50:46 PM »

I believe we have a forum member that is from an area like yours. I can’t remember the name off the top of my head..

Are you thinking of Whitetrashcan?

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2021, 07:53:17 PM »
I believe we have a forum member that is from an area like yours. I can’t remember the name off the top of my head..

Is mis-nouning someone as bad as mis-gendering them?  Heh.

@WhiteTrashCash has always struck me more along the lines of:

... I'd thought of him earlier, but hesitated to mention, lest his identity get stolen re-branded.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2021, 10:43:20 AM »

Oh yeah they always listen, but only occasionally act. When they do though it's beautiful to witness.

They may say they are interested, and they may be in that moment. I have a friend who always says he is interested, always asking me about saving and how he should do it, etc. but he never actually does anything. So whatever, I just smile and nod when he buys a new vehicle. Yeah it’s frustrating, but it’s his life, so whatever. The only thing you can control is yourself.

I believe we have a forum member that is from an area like yours. I can’t remember the name off the top of my head.

I know I mentioned it above, but there are a few thread around not only specifically about trying to move people toward mustachianism, but there are are also several about poverty in general. I’ll try to find some links at some point.

It's the whole you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Also the serenity prayer comes to mind.

I admit I do get hooked though because every now and then they do do something and it's very rewarding for me to see people improve themselves. Thanks I would love to read those threads!

... I'd thought of him earlier, but hesitated to mention, lest his identity get stolen re-branded.

Don't worry he's safe, I just purchased the rights to the name "MrMoneyShuffler."

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2021, 12:39:50 PM »

Ohhhhh haha! I miss-nouned him. mea .culppa

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2021, 07:09:31 PM »

Oh yeah they always listen, but only occasionally act. When they do though it's beautiful to witness.

It's the whole you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Also the serenity prayer comes to mind.

I admit I do get hooked though because every now and then they do do something and it's very rewarding for me to see people improve themselves. Thanks I would love to read those threads!

Don't worry he's safe, I just purchased the rights to the name "MrMoneyShuffler."

Hmm...

I personally would have stayed away from any name that started with "Mr. Money". If it's frugality/FI content, then that still smells of capitalizing on MMM to me.

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2021, 07:20:35 PM »

Hmm...

I personally would have stayed away from any name that started with "Mr. Money". If it's frugality/FI content, then that still smells of capitalizing on MMM to me.
He's just joking at my name, because I'm giving him a hard time about extracting marketing advice from the forum.  It's cool.  :^)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2021, 07:45:52 PM »

Hmm...

He's just joking at my name, because I'm giving him a hard time about extracting marketing advice from the forum.  It's cool.  :^)

Lol, I totally missed that on my phone!

NaN

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2021, 08:49:43 PM »
Plus it's super fucking annoying and presumptuous from someone who none of us know.

Totally unnecessary @Malcat. This is a free forum anyone can join. You should tone down your gatekeeping. It is coming across strong. You can just ignore this thread like any other you might ignore if you don't want to respond or provide feedback to him. Not only has he responded kindly to every point you have brought up, he honestly seems to care about a community.

@mr.moneybeard maybe you can walk the Appalachia Trail this summer (just segments) and run into a few of the full trail hikers. I read they come up with fun nicknames for each other and might be willing to be creative for the area. Or just talk to the group you are targeting and see if they say something. I would pick something that resonates with those you are trying to reach out to. I think MMM picked something that was trending at the time (mustaches).

Well, it sounds like you already picked a brand name.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2021, 06:54:28 AM »
Plus it's super fucking annoying and presumptuous from someone who none of us know.

Totally unnecessary @Malcat. This is a free forum anyone can join. You should tone down your gatekeeping. It is coming across strong. You can just ignore this thread like any other you might ignore if you don't want to respond or provide feedback to him. Not only has he responded kindly to every point you have brought up, he honestly seems to care about a community.

@mr.moneybeard maybe you can walk the Appalachia Trail this summer (just segments) and run into a few of the full trail hikers. I read they come up with fun nicknames for each other and might be willing to be creative for the area. Or just talk to the group you are targeting and see if they say something. I would pick something that resonates with those you are trying to reach out to. I think MMM picked something that was trending at the time (mustaches).

Yes, I can be very blunt, but it was not meant as gatekeeping. I keep encouraging OP to participate more so that we can get to know them.

I *do* find it super fucking annoying for someone to come here and gather market research and not otherwise participate, it's happened several times over the years. I was saying that in general, that it's super fucking annoying, because it is.

OP seems to be interested in engaging, which would make him not super fucking annoying.

As for my other very blunt feedback posts, OP came here asking for feedback and I have taken my time to give him my genuine thoughts.

Contrary to what you think and how harsh my tone can sound, I've actually taken my time to participate in this thread in earnest and given my genuine input.

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2021, 07:10:03 AM »

Yes, I can be very blunt, but it was not meant as gatekeeping. I keep encouraging OP to participate more so that we can get to know them.

I *do* find it super fucking annoying for someone to come here and gather market research and not otherwise participate, it's happened several times over the years. I was saying that in general, that it's super fucking annoying, because it is.

OP seems to be interested in engaging, which would make him not super fucking annoying.

As for my other very blunt feedback posts, OP came here asking for feedback and I have taken my time to give him my genuine thoughts.

Contrary to what you think and how harsh my tone can sound, I've actually taken my time to participate in this thread in earnest and given my genuine input.

I agree with what you are saying Malcat and it has seemed like you are genuinely trying to help the guy.  I'm definitely in agreement about people with no history showing up and asking a bunch of questions (sometimes quite personal).  In this case, it seems like the OP might be a regular poster who created a new account to ask this question.  He might have done this because he thought the reaction could be negative and didn't want his regular account associated if it was taken negatively.