Author Topic: Mr. Frugal Toque's new Toque  (Read 8249 times)

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mr. Frugal Toque's new Toque
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2018, 10:02:37 PM »
I have amassed a collection of seven (!) toques over the past ten years by picking up discarded hats from the ground while walking our dog.  I take then back home, dunk them in some oxyclean, run 'em through the washing machine and then use them.  :P

(I've also found four pairs of gloves, two replacement hub caps for my car, a couple scarves, several perfectly serviceable sweaters, a couple t-shirts, some pretty cushy sports knee pads, etc.  I have seen,but not picked up several pairs of underwear, dozens of single socks, and at least twenty perfectly serviceable suitcases.  How the hell do people lose all this clothing while walking around on the sidewalk???)
Don't people usually just lose one of the pair of gloves? How have you found both?!
Also, good on you making use of that stuff. I don't really need extras but I think I'd consider picking them up and cleaning them, and then donating to a shelter or something. No sense in letting perfectly good stuff go to waste.

And suitcases? I'm so confused. Where do you walk your dog?
Near us, the "nice" trail for dog walking is also a nice trail for the homeless to use, to get between areas.   The clothing / suitcases / pairs of gloves, not just singles is not that uncommon.   (Some of the homeless have basic coping function challenges on some days).

Now that spin just makes me sad, that someone outside all the time might lose their very important gloves, etc., and not be able to retrieve them because someone else picked them up.

A group was yarn bombing parts of the city last winter, but instead of random artsy bits around fence posts and such, they turned it useful.  They tied winter scarves around poles, and clothespinned hats and glove sets to fences, so that anyone who needed them could take them freely.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2018, 02:58:29 PM »
It's not too bad, most of them can get replacements, or have multiples from all that is given away, so lose their "stuff" but are still wearing one set.   So they may be without, but only because self-organization skills are low, and are without for only a short time until they go and ask for more / are given more.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2018, 05:10:35 PM »
I have amassed a collection of seven (!) toques over the past ten years by picking up discarded hats from the ground while walking our dog.  I take then back home, dunk them in some oxyclean, run 'em through the washing machine and then use them.  :P

(I've also found four pairs of gloves, two replacement hub caps for my car, a couple scarves, several perfectly serviceable sweaters, a couple t-shirts, some pretty cushy sports knee pads, etc.  I have seen,but not picked up several pairs of underwear, dozens of single socks, and at least twenty perfectly serviceable suitcases.  How the hell do people lose all this clothing while walking around on the sidewalk???)
Don't people usually just lose one of the pair of gloves? How have you found both?!
Also, good on you making use of that stuff. I don't really need extras but I think I'd consider picking them up and cleaning them, and then donating to a shelter or something. No sense in letting perfectly good stuff go to waste.

Near us, the "nice" trail for dog walking is also a nice trail for the homeless to use, to get between areas.   The clothing / suitcases / pairs of gloves, not just singles is not that uncommon.   (Some of the homeless have basic coping function challenges on some days).

Now that spin just makes me sad, that someone outside all the time might lose their very important gloves, etc., and not be able to retrieve them because someone else picked them up.

A group was yarn bombing parts of the city last winter, but instead of random artsy bits around fence posts and such, they turned it useful.  They tied winter scarves around poles, and clothespinned hats and glove sets to fences, so that anyone who needed them could take them freely.

I'm picking stuff up from my suburban neighbourhood, walking primarily on the sidewalk and have never seen a homeless person in our neighbourhood if it makes you feel better.  We have a very high percentage of new immigrants in this area (around 20 - 30% of the people here are first generation to Canada) and I think that's somehow related to all the tossed out suitcases.

I have no explanation for the underwear though.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2018, 03:10:38 PM »

I'm picking stuff up from my suburban neighbourhood, walking primarily on the sidewalk and have never seen a homeless person in our neighbourhood if it makes you feel better.  We have a very high percentage of new immigrants in this area (around 20 - 30% of the people here are first generation to Canada) and I think that's somehow related to all the tossed out suitcases.

I have no explanation for the underwear though.
And I would prefer not to contemplate one.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!