I would second everyone who recommended storing food in plastic bins. While I still occasionally get mice, I don't have to toss the food.
If I had to re-stock staples not already in jars or cans I would choose: rice, wild rice, dried lentils, raisins, prunes, oatmeal, hot cocoa mix, flours, and sugars.
Congratulations on mice over poisonous snakes - an option I'd take any day.
I'd stay away from poisons like d-con. Yes, the mice take the poison back to their nests and feed it to their young, but if they are nesting inside your walls, you will suffer from dead mouse smell for weeks and weeks while they die one after the other then slowly decompose.
Don't ask me how I know this, just know that it is true.
Then there's the time I had a bad smell in the kitchen and thought it was a dead mouse, but it kept on smelling even a couple of months after a normal dead mouse would have decomposed so it had to be something else. I zeroed in on the decrepit dishwasher, cleaning and disinfecting it, replacing some of the rubber gaskets, etc, and finally changing dishwashing detergents. Still stunk a bit but not too bad. Then came the day I replaced the dishwasher. I'm sitting in the living room and hear a "Hey, Lady," come from the guys working in the kitchen. I walk in to see that they've pulled out the dishwasher, and the biggest, deadest, most mummified mouse in the world is on the top of it (it had died in the space between the top of the dishwasher and the counter). Every single time I ran the dishwasher, I had warmed up the little mouse corpse, once again releasing dead rodent smell into the air. Over and over and over and over again.