Author Topic: Most eggs in one basket  (Read 2282 times)

MumRoars

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Most eggs in one basket
« on: December 07, 2018, 04:57:37 PM »
    I have the following investment accounts:
    • Vanguard Roth
    • Vanguard IRA
    • Vanguard Brokerage
    • Betterment Account #1 - 90% Stocks
    • Betterment Account #2 - 55% Stocks

All of my Vanguard accounts are in VTSAX - thoughts? 80% of my investable assets are VTSAX.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:02:43 PM by MumRoars »

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Most eggs in one basket
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 04:38:02 PM »
+1 to JL Collins stock series

Since the rise of broad-market index funds there seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding what 'diversification' really is.  In previous decades it meant holding 20ish stocks in several different sectors.  The thinking was failure of any one company or any particular sector wouldn't wipe you out entirely. Today, holding VTSAX you own something like 7,000 stocks (though its based on market cap, so the largest 500 constitute roughly 80% of your holdings).

That's incredibly diversified as far as stocks go. Your investments will go as the market goes, and you won't risk losing your entire savings unless the modern economy collapses in ways it never has (including the great depression and great recession). 

You've also mentioned you have 80% of your assets in VTSAX, and some betterment accounts that aren't 100% stocks.  Presumably you are holding some bonds, (or perhaps REITs or cash). Depending on your age and risk tolerance that could be a considerable amount.  What about other assets - do you own a house?

If you really wanted to, you could buy a small-cap index fund (e.g. Russel 2,000 index fund) to increase your exposure to small cap stocks (at the expense of larger cap stocks).  But that wouldn't necessarily make you any less vulnerable to  market downturns - it can often do the opposite, as smaller companies often have a harder time surviving when times are tough.

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 04:13:05 PM »
It's all in what you are comfortable with. I'm in vanguard 35% and Realestate 55% and a cash balance.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 11:45:07 AM »
All of my Vanguard accounts are in VTSAX - thoughts? 80% of my investable assets are VTSAX.

That's more like one egg in ~3600 baskets, considering you own a piece of every publicly traded US company.  But I'd personally recommend diversifying internationally to have even more baskets.  And probably some bonds as well.  Something like a Lazy Portfolio model.  But to what degree is somewhat personal preference.