Author Topic: MMM is life changing, literally.  (Read 8671 times)

resy

• Bristles
MMM is life changing, literally.
« on: September 21, 2014, 12:44:50 PM »
I am so amazed at the transformation I have become aware of that is slowly taking in me....
I started skimming through this blog and daydream about its principlea more or less a year ago and slowly one thing has taken me to another, each gaining further momentum.
The most interesting aspect of this transformation for me is how is started with personal finance but it is SO much more. My priorities have shifted, my values put under scrutiny, relationships with people have changed, in short, I am becoming a different person.
For example: Pre MMM days I build up a shoe collection worth a couple thousand dollars (holy shit) yet fast forward to a week or so ago and I eliminated 2/3 of my closet (huge) in favor of minimalistic principles. Fast forward again to today and I wake up wanting to learn to make my oen clothes, and not only to save $ but because I dont like supporting explotation of other people in third world countries so I can get a cheap shirt.
So many examples I could give in so many areas of my life!
If this isnt awesome and "learning to make space for the things that really matter", I dont know what is!

Bu-bye soul-sucking consumerism; hello there beautiful, blossoming inner self!

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
Re: MMM is life changing, literally.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 02:20:18 PM »
Oh so true. It's been just 4 months for me now since I started reading MMM. Now I started not only biking to work but am biking everywhere (sold the car). I've stopped buying fast food and am making my own meals/cooking. I no longer look with great expectations towards buying the latest material goods (particularly my former temptations - consumer electronics). And most importantly, I'm looking beyond just the next couple years to the 10 years and beyond timeframe, in order to discover for myself what is truly meaningful in life.

I don't envy people with a large amount of material possessions anymore - if anything I feel sorry for them, having gotten caught up in its entrappings. Thanks MMM!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:41:33 PM by Beric01 »

pichirino

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 03:37:39 PM »
Could have just copy pasted your post beric01,the same mindset and transformation happened to me.
Most purchases are viewed in a different light.Don't bike yet but use public transport and walk alot.

The biggest transformation though is in how I see consumer products,from cars to electronics to vacations to everything in between I search for the highest quality at the lowest price and scrap the products that are excessive (some specific items aside)

Everything from utilities to groceries get scrutinized like this..
In the past i'd just buy what i'd like,be that prime steak or the best computer I could find for the money I had.
Borrowed money for a car cause thats what everyone else did.

Amazing how much you transform yourself if you allow yourself to.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 03:43:33 PM »
Just hopped on to say, "Wow, Beric01! 500+ posts in just four months!!" I see you've discovered as I did that hanging around and participating here is a great way to stay focused on your goals. Best of luck to you.

Nyarlathotep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 03:49:45 PM »
The change is real... I feel as if it kind of gives you a new vigor and enthusiasm for the not so distant future. It really does set you free by realizing that it is okay to not be caught up in consumerism and the buy it now culture. I also find it interesting on how you will now typically gravitate to things that will provide you with lasting happiness instead of the quick fix.

I think the best part about forgetting consumerism and embracing the idea of early retirement or financial independence is the feeling of complete independence and freedom that comes with it.

Just hopped on to say, "Wow, Beric01! 500+ posts in just four months!!" I see you've discovered as I did that hanging around and participating here is a great way to stay focused on your goals. Best of luck to you.

Yeah I must say... I feel as if I should be more active out here to keep focused and to continue to learn new things.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 03:53:51 PM »

Thanks a lot! You could say I've become obsessed with self-improvement in the past few months. The MMM forums are truly a personal support network for my goals. I still have a ton of learning to do, though, and I feel very young and immature compared to the other posters here. ;-)

Now off to bike to the grocery store - I'm cooking dinner for the week tonight!

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 10:33:59 AM »
The True Cost of Commuting blog post was life changing for me. Because of that post, my wife and I bought a house walking distance to her work and right next to a light rail station that could take me to my work. Our transportation budget instantly went down 70% (insurance went down 50%, gas costs went down 75%, etc). And, not only were our costs way down, both of us were happier!

Then 3 months ago, I changed jobs to one where I could work from home all the time. There went another $80/month for a train pass and ~$30/week in lunches (it was really difficult for me to say no to great lunch spots downtown so I'd end up going 2-3 times per week). And I'm even happier! Commuting was the biggest source of unhappiness in my life (and the 2nd highest expense after housing) and MMM made me realize I could make that go away. Not to mention that now my transportation budget is less than housing, food, health care, utilities and even a 1/week restaurant budget.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 12:02:26 PM »
Totally agree.  I started focussing on fun activities near home to save money and quickly discovered how much fun I had been missing.  I bought a thermos to reduce our coffee stops when traveling and I can't count the number of hiking and biking picnics we have been on since then.  I began to cook more to save money and discovered that I really enjoy conquering a new recipe.  It doesn't hurt my ego a bit when the Hub tastes and pronounces it better than the version we tried at Edmundo the Expensive's restaurant.  Life is just more fun when you live it mustachian

KBlynx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 12:19:36 PM »
Congrats Resy! Feels good doesn't it ? Above the crowd and into the truth. Focusing on what really matters.

I'm transforming as well and it has some good and some bad. I'm in an early cocoon vs. butterfly stage of the MMM. Right now I've hit some anger, which is strange. I'm angry when I look around and see what people are doing to themselves. It's hard listening to friends that talk about "saving money" by purchasing things.  I was that person a few months ago!  But now that I can see the truth of the matter I'm angry that other people can't, especially those I care about. I need to chillax and focus on my own transformation and not get all rage-y about others. I need a MMM anger management class.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 12:25:40 PM »
Yes, my life has completely changed due to MMM.  I found this website about a year and a half ago. 

I put my finances in order - decent allocation, using tax-free savings accounts etc.  I was saving about 40% of my income (until I got let go from my job earlier this month).  MMM has even made being unemployed less stressful.  For example, I actually know what my expenses are due to tracking them.  I have FU money - I am not FI though. 

As a couple, my husband and I eat out less.   We do more DIY stuff - painting our house, making window washing solution.  I am going to make my own laundry soap next.  We use the library more.  I just love it!  It is just a better, more sensible approach to things. 

EvenKeeled

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 01:05:10 AM »
I've just been reading the blog for three weeks, so I haven't made big changes yet. But it is very inspiring and I'm rethinking many aspects of my expenses and activities.

Took a little bike ride to the library tonight to read the Consumer's Guide to Buying Used Cars. Might sell mine and get a more reliable, higher mpg model.

Even though I'm new here, I already have the urge to tell friends and family about it. I did mention my interest in it to one friend and to my sister, but only gently. If someone shows real interest I'll tell them all about it. But, as the saying goes, you can lead a horse to the barber, but you can't make it grow a mustache. (Wow--that's a messed up metaphor!)

Gmullz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 07:58:45 AM »
Congrats Resy! Feels good doesn't it ? Above the crowd and into the truth. Focusing on what really matters.

I'm transforming as well and it has some good and some bad. I'm in an early cocoon vs. butterfly stage of the MMM. Right now I've hit some anger, which is strange. I'm angry when I look around and see what people are doing to themselves. It's hard listening to friends that talk about "saving money" by purchasing things.  I was that person a few months ago!  But now that I can see the truth of the matter I'm angry that other people can't, especially those I care about. I need to chillax and focus on my own transformation and not get all rage-y about others. I need a MMM anger management class.

I'm with you man. I'm fairly sure I don't let it reach actual anger, because I'm just not that type of person, but definitely frustration. I've always wondered why so many people around me fritter away their money on things that just don't matter, and won't bring them any happiness in the long term.

Now after being punched in the face by this website a few times, I've realized that even the things that I used to think were perfectly fine to spend money on, like a long commute to live in a "desirable" neighbourhood, are actually extremely wasteful choices.

But I must drudge on, focus on my own evolving good habits, and try to be a good example to the masses!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 08:10:59 AM »

I'm with you man. I'm fairly sure I don't let it reach actual anger, because I'm just not that type of person, but definitely frustration. I've always wondered why so many people around me fritter away their money on things that just don't matter, and won't bring them any happiness in the long term.

Now after being punched in the face by this website a few times, I've realized that even the things that I used to think were perfectly fine to spend money on, like a long commute to live in a "desirable" neighbourhood, are actually extremely wasteful choices.

But I must drudge on, focus on my own evolving good habits, and try to be a good example to the masses!

It fills me with the emotion best characterized by something I once heard my mother say to my father in a fit of extreme frustration:  "How CAN you BE so stupid???"  However, I don't say it out loud.

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 07:14:22 AM »
It is very life changing... before I found MMM, I was frugal and made good choices most of the time, but felt horrible about it.... I felt the pressure from the rest of the world that I should be like them, and I even TRIED to make myself buy things and be more "consumer-like" just so I could fit in.  I felt bad about myself when I faced comments like "What do you mean you don't like shopping?.. weird..." and "What do you mean you don't have cable? Your poor kids....."  or  "Why don't you go on a real vacation? You work hard, you deserve it"  or  "You have kids, so you need to get a brand new car for safety reason (or you are a crappy mom that doesn't care about your kids)...".   After 20-25 years of this, you start to feel pretty crappy about yourself and wanting to conform... Thankfully I am also painfully stubborn and never caved in too far :) 
So, MMM was life changing for me because I finally got permission to be myself, without any guilt, and actually it gave me a lot of pride about who I am and how I'm different.  Now when people say these things, it makes me grin instead of cringe!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 07:38:42 AM by nyxst »

NinaNina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 09:32:19 AM »
The change is deep! It affects everything, to the point where I cease to realize it because saving money becomes my point of reference.

I was always frugal, but I now see it as part of a larger life vision, one of less impact on the world and of living better through simplicity. It is hard to not proselytize but, honestly, doing so is rarely appreciated out in the consumerist world.

On Facebook, when I post favorite quotes from the MMM blog or reference an article, it is rare to get a response. It's as if the post was written in a different language.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 03:57:05 PM »
It is very life changing... before I found MMM, I was frugal and made good choices most of the time, but felt horrible about it.... I felt the pressure from the rest of the world that I should be like them, and I even TRIED to make myself buy things and be more "consumer-like" just so I could fit in.  I felt bad about myself when I faced comments like "What do you mean you don't like shopping?.. weird..." and "What do you mean you don't have cable? Your poor kids....."  or  "Why don't you go on a real vacation? You work hard, you deserve it"  or  "You have kids, so you need to get a brand new car for safety reason (or you are a crappy mom that doesn't care about your kids)...".   After 20-25 years of this, you start to feel pretty crappy about yourself and wanting to conform... Thankfully I am also painfully stubborn and never caved in too far :) 
So, MMM was life changing for me because I finally got permission to be myself, without any guilt, and actually it gave me a lot of pride about who I am and how I'm different.  Now when people say these things, it makes me grin instead of cringe!

Oh so true! I definitely guilted myself into purchases just to "fit in", even as a relatively frugal person. Now I purchase something only when I personally value it.

MMM is a support group for the non-conformists. :)

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 04:56:16 PM »

I hope everyone who nods in agreement takes a step back to examine the irony of reading a guy's blog, applying his lessons to day-to-day lives (or noting that they're already being followed), and then calling oneself a non-conformist.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 05:11:49 PM »

I hope everyone who nods in agreement takes a step back to examine the irony of reading a guy's blog, applying his lessons to day-to-day lives (or noting that they're already being followed), and then calling oneself a non-conformist.

It might take a little perspective, but the issue is not that people felt conformed to a certain lifestyle, as certainly any lifestyle that more than two people follow will have some opinion of the principles to be followed.
The problem was that they did not like the person and situation they were heading toward which consumerism and social conformity was pushing them toward. They didn't want an uncertain future, a criminal amount of debt and a work life until 65.

It's not about whether they conform to something or not. What is important is that they agree to the character and moral values of the person they are striving to become, and then work towards being that ideal self. Wouldn't you agree?

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 06:51:32 PM »

It might take a little perspective, but the issue is not that people felt conformed to a certain lifestyle, as certainly any lifestyle that more than two people follow will have some opinion of the principles to be followed.
The problem was that they did not like the person and situation they were heading toward which consumerism and social conformity was pushing them toward. They didn't want an uncertain future, a criminal amount of debt and a work life until 65.

It's not about whether they conform to something or not. What is important is that they agree to the character and moral values of the person they are striving to become, and then work towards being that ideal self. Wouldn't you agree?

Well said.

I forge my own path forward. But if I notice I share common goals with others, why shouldn't I talk with them regarding ideas on how to improve our common situation? I have my own views and may not agree with everything written here. But I do share a lot in common, and I think looking to others who have more experience with a particular issue makes a lot of sense.

I think my intention was clear. Oh, and I have a big issue with MMM's latest post on electric bikes, and his strong urging to only have one kid, and a number of other things. Doesn't mean I don't like a lot of what's written here.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:53:29 PM by Beric01 »

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 10:08:13 PM »
With regards to conforming. We all conform to something that we relate to. The typical conformity today is being a mindless consumer.

As for changing. I don't think that I changed that much but the changes in saying that are pretty significant from a mind-set perspective. I never thought that you could retire early and do whatever you wanted to do. Interestingly my wife is right on board and never reads MMM at all. Holidays used to be cheap whereas now we have just stayed at home and been really cheap. We still have 2 cars but our expenses have dropped and we are focusing on becoming FI.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!