Author Topic: MMM in the Washington Post!  (Read 10025 times)

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
MMM in the Washington Post!
« on: April 26, 2013, 01:21:50 PM »
I did my usual news check and an article with MMM was on the front page of the Washington Post website!  There are only 8 comments right now, and it looks like 7 of them are of the complainypants variety.   

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/meet-mr-money-mustache-the-man-who-retired-at-30/2013/04/26/71e3e6a8-acf3-11e2-a8b9-2a63d75b5459_story.html

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
Re: MMM in the Washington Post!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 01:37:59 PM »
I enjoyed the person who responsded that they "could never do without their heated car seats".  Kind of summed up the insanity for me.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 01:40:58 PM »
Classy dude bitching about Bengalis in there... oh the joy of comments on mainstream newspapers.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 01:47:31 PM »
Someone else ironed their money as a kid?!

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 01:54:28 PM »
So cool! I feel a silly sense of pride that I've been following MMM for over a year.

It will be interesting to see what kind of new readers/posters this new exposure will bring. :)

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 02:12:09 PM »
Really great article - it presents the info so openly and clearly.  Both the writer and MMM deserve major kudos. 

Nate_D

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 02:23:23 PM »
The latest comments I read seem to be trending more to the positive/supportive end of the scale. Have to admit I'm a bit surprised!

Prepare for a massive bump in website traffic!

acanthurus

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 02:52:06 PM »
Refreshing to see a straightforward and unbiased article about early retirement! I thought MMM came across very well.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 03:09:07 PM »
I enjoyed the person who responsded that they "could never do without their heated car seats".  Kind of summed up the insanity for me.

You got there before I could. Best (awesomely ironic) comment of the whole thread!

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 03:22:53 PM »
This is a great article!

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 04:40:03 PM »
A well done article. Kudos to MMM.

It gets me when people make these comments and just don't know what they're talking about. I just hope a few of those people actually go to MMM's blog and read a few posts. It'd be fun to be in their brain and watching all the neurons short, their jaws hanging down as they stare transfixed at what their reading.

bluecollarmusician

• Pencil Stache
  • You call this a Fi(re)?
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »
Again, (3rd day or so in a row,) I am amazed at the level of idiocy I see in these comments!  I thought this was a great article- hopefully inspiring to many, and hopefully will bring them here to answer their questions.

bluecollarmusician

• Pencil Stache
  • You call this a Fi(re)?
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 04:42:46 PM »

It gets me when people make these comments and just don't know what they're talking about. I just hope a few of those people actually go to MMM's blog and read a few posts. It'd be fun to be in their brain and watching all the neurons short, their jaws hanging down as they stare transfixed at what their reading.

While I agree, I think that for many there is a certain level of obtuse thinking that prevents them from actually believing it is possible... *(envision a robot "does not compute")

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 05:16:12 PM »

While I agree, I think that for many there is a certain level of obtuse thinking that prevents them from actually believing it is possible... *(envision a robot "does not compute")

Yes, I mention all the time at work how my clothes are from thrift stores and/or hand-me-downs.  Yes, I'm 23 and I wear hand-me-downs ;).  Then, when I talk about how I don't plan to work  past 40-50, it's received with the "yea, as if that's possible" response. 

Lex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 07:37:24 PM »
The article is now the most popular read on the Post site, wow....

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 07:52:48 PM »
In the house tour thread (www.mrmoneymustache.com/forum/mustachianism-around-the-web/house-tour-mr-money-mustache/) Mrs. MM mentioned how big mainstream articles like this bring in less traffic than you'd expect, versus say an article on a personal finance site.  Basically the readers of a PF site would be interested in this, and click over to MMM.com.  The readers of a more mainstream site aren't as interested, more likely to reject it as "impossible" (see: comments on the article) and not bother, etc.

Still, every bit of exposure people can have to Mustachianism is a good thing.  Hopefully we'll see a few new readers at least!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

fnord

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 07:54:13 PM »
Congrats MMM, you made Hacker News too. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5616143

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 08:21:29 PM »
In the house tour thread (www.mrmoneymustache.com/forum/mustachianism-around-the-web/house-tour-mr-money-mustache/) Mrs. MM mentioned how big mainstream articles like this bring in less traffic than you'd expect, versus say an article on a personal finance site.  Basically the readers of a PF site would be interested in this, and click over to MMM.com.  The readers of a more mainstream site aren't as interested, more likely to reject it as "impossible" (see: comments on the article) and not bother, etc.
Still, every bit of exposure people can have to Mustachianism is a good thing.  Hopefully we'll see a few new readers at least!
You (the moderators) are going to get a big boost in journalists seeking posters to interview.

The financial advisors and insurance sales staff will be along shortly, too, to make sure we understand that we're doing it all wrong...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 08:26:09 PM »
You (the moderators) are going to get a big boost in journalists seeking posters to interview.

The financial advisors and insurance sales staff will be along shortly, too, to make sure we understand that we're doing it all wrong...

I'll make sure to point them your way.  ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 09:10:02 PM »
I'm sure there are many gems in there but a recent one is from one of the "doable if you don't have a family" types talking about how he too used to survive on 17k a year in part by "smoking the cheapest cigarettes."

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 11:09:24 PM »
I'll make sure to point them your way.  ;)
Whether it's an interview or a sales call, I enjoy them both!

Maybe this forum has a reputation as a younger crowd.  Early-Retirement.org used to get pelted with predators new members after every mention in the press, especially the insurance & annuity crowd.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 12:01:23 AM »
Maybe this forum has a reputation as a younger crowd.  Early-Retirement.org used to get pelted with predators new members after every mention in the press, especially the insurance & annuity crowd.

Probably because most there early retired through decades of smart savings, whereas people here are (still shooting for) FI through frugality.

Not that you won't see some of each in both places, but I'd wager the average portfolio over there outweighs by quite a bit the average stache here.

An article on retiring young 5-10 years early by building up a few million is going to attract more sharks than an article on retiring 30 years early though very cheap living.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 01:50:53 AM »
So many jealous, unhappy people in the comments. Glad that there also some sensible, positive ones to balance things out.

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 06:03:44 PM »
Nice. This is one of my favorite blogs/newspaper, I'm not sure what you call it, but here's Instapundit http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/ mentioning MMM's article in Washington Post.

THE MAN WHO RETIRED AT 30:

I didn’t start saving and investing particularly early, I just maintained this desire not to waste anything. So I got through my engineering degree debt-free — by working a lot and not owning a car — and worked pretty hard early on to move up a bit in the career, relocating from Canada to the United States, attracted by the higher salaries and lower cost of living.

Then my future wife and I moved in together and DIY-renovated a junky house into a nice one, kept old cars while our friends drove fancy ones, biked to work instead of driving, cooked at home and went out to restaurants less, and it all just added up to saving more than half of what we earned. We invested this surplus as we went, never inflating our already-luxurious lives, and eventually the passive income from stock dividends and a rental house was more than enough to pay for our needs (about $25,000 per year for our family of three, with a paid-off house and no other debt).

Our bread-and-butter living expenses are paid for by a single rental house we own, which generates about $25,000 per year after expenses. We also have stock index funds and 401(k) plans, which could boost that by about 50 percent without depleting principal if we ever needed it, but, so far, we can’t seem to spend more than $25,000 no matter how much we let loose. So the dividends just keep reinvesting.

Read the whole thing. This is a bit extreme — and if you’re managing rental property, you’re not entirely retired — but most people can save a lot more than they think they can, if they try.

Plus:

“Little” things that are only a few hundred dollars a month add up to hundreds of thousands of dollars shockingly fast. But the lack of this understanding of the numbers is what keeps most middle-class people from getting ahead.

That’s the advice my grandfather gave me: People spend a lot of time agonizing over big purchases, he said, but it’s the nickel-and-dime stuff that gets you over time. He’s right about the importance of habit, too.

Rich M

• Stubble
  • Fortune Kookie
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 09:34:21 PM »
Wow.  Good story, good response by MMM, crazy comments on article.

The internet replies are like CT scans of the few on the edges of the bell curve.

Please don't reveal to me which edge I fall on! ;) 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 10:00:27 PM by Rich M »

Rich M

• Stubble
  • Fortune Kookie
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 10:03:35 PM »

Didn't see that one.  But was it perhaps sarcasm?

Joet

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 11:20:28 PM »
article was a good read :)
congrats mmm

rving-carol

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Cables N Mor - Computer & AV Cables
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 05:58:21 PM »
Hi - I am one of the new recruits from that WP article.

A couple of weeks ago I was happily working a low level part time job in Mesa, AZ when my bosses boss called me outside and for 15 minutes tried to get me to say I respected her (not her position). I am 58 so I know how to easily lie to corporate America but it was 90 degrees outside and will be 115 plus this summer so I smiled and said hahahaha... bye bye. 

So 2 weeks later, I am doing my almost daily check of the Washington Post site and see a link (no picture that day) about early retirement which I obviously have now taken. This was last Thursday. I have read mrmoneymustache.com from the 1st post through July 2012 including most of the comments. My brain and eyes are fried. I have sent money to Vanguard, Lending Club, and Prosper. I have signed up on mint.com and yesterday I said ENOUGH! I haven't watched TV, played mahjong online or even read the WP for days now.

So I took a break and went to WP and low a behold there Mr Mustache himself doing a live Q&A.

I want to thank the entire Money Mustache community for reassuring me that I don't need 1 million to retire. I just need to get my roughly 600k employees working a little more.

Now back to reading the rest of the blog...

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »
Nice post Carol. Wow, talk about a quick learner. I'm somewhat new on the forums myself, but a huge welcome to you.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 12:41:33 PM »
Carol, does your forum name imply you're living in an RV?

rving-carol

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Cables N Mor - Computer & AV Cables
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 10:58:36 PM »
Yes Fixer, I have been full-time RVing for 4 years now. Bought a used Class A that I paid cash for. I pull a 2004 Jeep Liberty; one of the crappiest cars ever made but until I learn to drive a manual, there just aren't too many options to tow a vehicle with 4 wheels down.

Thanks for the welcome Mike!