Author Topic: Miami Herald article with list of best states to retire (US)  (Read 11169 times)

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
Re: Miami Herald article with list of best states to retire (US)
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2020, 08:32:40 PM »
I forgot about the time that our gps (Garmin on the dashboard) melted in the car. No garage here.

We don't have snow days, but here in South Florida we do have hurricane days.
Ouch! The one thing I always have in my car is a sun shade, regardless of where I am.  The sun shade reduces UV and heat, making it much more enjoyable to get in the car after it's been in the sun for a while.

That's a good idea. 

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2020, 08:00:32 AM »
Today's high in Edmonton is -23F (-31C). It apparently feels like -47F, per the Weather Channel.

No amount of clothing is going to make that bearable, whereas I can just keep a steady supply of fluids when in 100 degree, hot & humid summers in the south and get by just fine.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2020, 08:40:33 AM »
Today's high in Edmonton is -23F (-31C). It apparently feels like -47F, per the Weather Channel.

No amount of clothing is going to make that bearable, whereas I can just keep a steady supply of fluids when in 100 degree, hot & humid summers in the south and get by just fine.

I frequently ski at those temperatures, as well as drill ice cores.  The trick is layering.  Base layer, mid layer, loft layer and wind-stopping outer layer.   Technology has also made some nice cheats, like heated insoles and mid layers.

Is it for everyone?  No.  But given the millions who live and work in such condtions it’s a bit of hyperbole to say nothing can make that ‘bearable’ - eh?

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2020, 08:46:08 AM »

I frequently ski at those temperatures, as well as drill ice cores.  The trick is layering.  Base layer, mid layer, loft layer and wind-stopping outer layer.   Technology has also made some nice cheats, like heated insoles and mid layers.

Is it for everyone?  No.  But given the millions who live and work in such condtions it’s a bit of hyperbole to say nothing can make that ‘bearable’ - eh?

Correction: bearable for me

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2020, 08:51:51 AM »
Thank you :-)

I fully realize I’m in the minority opinion here, but expressing it so forcefully here simply because I want others to realize that, yes, you can enjoy being outdoors in sub-zero temperatures, and for some of us that’s preferable than being outdoors in 100ºF+ (particularly with high humidity). 

Getting back to the OP - just as many retire to Florida or Phoenix for the warmer temperatures, there are many that retire to Maine or Vermont or Alaska because they like cold over heat.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2020, 10:30:06 AM »
Don't forget all the inbetween places. Places where the winter gets really cold (teens) overnight but most of the winter is above freezing spiced up with 50F-60F bonus days.

And summer isn't 100F+, it's 80s and 90s with cool mornings and comfortable evenings if you have a screened porch to keep the mosquitoes away. And a/c makes it even better come bedtime.

BradminOxt19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2020, 10:35:51 AM »

I fully realize I’m in the minority opinion here, but expressing it so forcefully here simply because I want others to realize that, yes, you can enjoy being outdoors in sub-zero temperatures, and for some of us that’s preferable than being outdoors in 100ºF+ (particularly with high humidity). 

Getting back to the OP - just as many retire to Florida or Phoenix for the warmer temperatures, there are many that retire to Maine or Vermont or Alaska because they like cold over heat.
Agree you are in the minority.  I just got back from a really cold place, and am sick of the chapped lips, cold / dried hands, grime over everything - shoes, clothing, hair, etc.  That salt residue gets everywhere.  Being outside scraping ice off the car just to go grocery shopping, gets real old, real fast.  Even more fun when it's freezing rain. Constantly having a running nose due to my sinuses trying to deal with the cold, weary of other sick people with colds or flus due to the cold weather.  Not my idea of fun for retirement, especially when my body gets more vulnerable to illness and arthritis in the future.

There were several huge deadly pile-ups due to the cold weather in the news recently, with dozens of people dying who did nothing wrong other than trying to get to work or school or shopping and ended up being crushed by tractor trailers and other vehicles.  Driving is deadly enough without the element of black ice, no thanks...I'll happily drive in my air conditioned car in the extreme heat with zero risk of deadly car slides and freezing weather accidents even after the roads have been plowed and salted.

The majority of people do prefer warmer, safer climates.  That and being in shorts, chilling with ice cold drinks, with misters outside, or in the pool as time allows.  Even just taking a plain cold shower sometimes feels invigorating and fun.  It's a lot more enjoyable and fun to be in warm places.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 10:45:20 AM by BradminOxt19 »

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2020, 10:38:44 AM »
Not seeing the sun for weeks with only gloomy weather can wear on people.  Seeing blue skys and sunny weather generally is not an issue for most people. There are multitude of reasons why most people would be happier with the heat than the cold.  Many of them can't move due to family ties, but those that have the option to move to a sunny place generally love it.

Gloominess isn't really related to cold or hot weather.  Maybe in your area gray weather is associated with winter, but here we occasionally get spells of hot humid gloomy weather in the summer, too. 

Yes, the big takeaway is that people really are different.  Some people will don't mind bundling up and dealing with the cold if it means not having to deal with sweating non-stop for months on end.  Other people don't mind sweating all summer if it means not having to shovel snow or dress like Randy in "A Christmas Story".  Then some people don't mind paying a stiff premium to live in that small strip of California that's always nice.  That's why these lists are so ridiculous because they're going to look completely different for different people. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2020, 11:05:12 PM »
And whatever your environment, a person can acclimate - somewhat. Back when I worked outside all the time I coped better than now when I work inside more often.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2020, 02:15:15 AM »
Talking about preferred weather - I must surely be the only such person in the world, but I absolutely hate places that are always sunny. I don't mind a little sun every now and then but definitely not on a daily basis. This is probably the result of spending my childhood in a very hot and sunny climate :-)

I generally love overcast conditions. I lived in upstate New York for many years and loved the weather there!

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2020, 04:56:33 PM »

How am I gonna' swing a golf club dressed like that? ;)