Author Topic: Miami Herald article with list of best states to retire (US)  (Read 11165 times)

aloevera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Miami Herald article with list of best states to retire (US)
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2019, 06:01:31 PM »
Vermont has awesome summers (and arguably spring, mud and all,  and of course fall). Winter is a bit tough...unless you ski, snowshoe, winter fat tire bike, ice skate or any of those things that people go to VT just for the winter for.

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2019, 06:47:48 PM »
My grandparents traveled several years following birds.  They "settled" in an over 55 community in McAllen, TX (lots of birds apparently).  They stayed for less than five years before moving back to the Midwest where they were from and their children live.  Their place was ridiculously cheap, like 55 grand for a seemingly well-built bungalow.  Their biggest complaint was that all their neighbors kept dying.   

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2019, 08:32:03 PM »
My grandparents traveled several years following birds.  They "settled" in an over 55 community in McAllen, TX (lots of birds apparently).  They stayed for less than five years before moving back to the Midwest where they were from and their children live.  Their place was ridiculously cheap, like 55 grand for a seemingly well-built bungalow.  Their biggest complaint was that all their neighbors kept dying.   

I've heard that the constant ambulance traffic can also be disconcerting, even if you don't personally know many of the people.

ShastaFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2019, 08:41:23 AM »
I'd take a winter in New England over a summer in Florida anytime.

I completely agree with this.  I grew to love winter in the upper midwest, especially when it came with a cabin and woodstove.  Much better than the bugs and heat!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2019, 08:52:29 AM »

I completely agree with this.  I grew to love winter in the upper midwest, especially when it came with a cabin and woodstove.  Much better than the bugs and heat!

Me too! I grew up in the south but sure wouldn't want to live somewhere that routinely saw 100ºF days in the summer.  Easier to heat than cool, and winter apparel has gotten so good that you can go outside in the winter and be comfortable (for a while at least) whereas even slight exertion in triple-digit, humid heat is physically taxing and potentially dangerous for the elderly.

To each their own, but we're planning on retiring someplace with snow each winter.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2019, 09:03:36 AM »

Me too! I grew up in the south but sure wouldn't want to live somewhere that routinely saw 100ºF days in the summer.  Easier to heat than cool, and winter apparel has gotten so good that you can go outside in the winter and be comfortable (for a while at least) whereas even slight exertion in triple-digit, humid heat is physically taxing and potentially dangerous for the elderly.

To each their own, but we're planning on retiring someplace with snow each winter.

There's pros and cons to both.  Growing up and spending time each summer in Chicago, when a/c was rare, I felt like those summers were brutal.  At least here in Miami, we rarely see 100ºF days, and the ubiquitous a/c means there is always the option to stay comfortably indoors.  Plus, having access to the ocean within 20 minutes or a backyard pool allows us to enjoy being outside even on the worst days.  I see lots of "elderly" folks walking the beaches whenever I'm able to get to the beach of a morning.  Not saying it's for everyone, sure, and I miss the cooler seasons sometimes.  But I enjoyed an outdoor holiday get-together last night and it was lovely outside, no scarf, gloves, or jackets needed.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2019, 09:13:23 AM »
Who says you have to pick one place? I'd love to live in Ft. Lauderdale or Tampa from October-March and somewhere a little less uncomfortable during the summer months.

I actually have no idea where to live during the warm months, as I've never lived any farther north than the TN/KY border, and summers were still uncomfortably humid there.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2019, 11:02:24 AM »
Who says you have to pick one place? I'd love to live in Ft. Lauderdale or Tampa from October-March and somewhere a little less uncomfortable during the summer months.

Round here we call these people "snow-birds".  They show up sometime around May and stay until the leaves change, when they head south to avoid the cold winters and very short day-length here.

Not a bad way to do it if your goal is to avoid temperature extremes, though it takes some money and/or creativity to run two-location existence.  The other big downfall I see is the 'snow-birds' aren't fully integrated into the community, but viewed more as repeat vacationers.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2019, 11:07:42 AM »

Winter hobbies. Develop some. Build a grandfather clock and sell it in the spring. Restore an old car. Learn to play a musical instrument. Lots of indoor activities for winter. Or join a gym so your best self is ready for outdoor weather.

Or - move somewhere in between where winter is 45F and the winters still delivers an occasional snow. AND - bonus - you are eight hours closer driving to your WI/MN/MI relatives. Summers in the southeast are bearable. Like cold winters, hot summers in the south requires technique. Right kind of clothes, a siesta lunch in air conditioning or a shady porch with a fan, get your outdoors activities done earlier in the day. Screened-in-porch for the evenings.

We've been watching: https://www.pbs.org/food/shows/a-chefs-life/

There is a peek at the south. New south AND the old - but good people all over nonetheless
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 11:15:09 AM by Just Joe »

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2019, 11:12:16 AM »
The other big downfall I see is the 'snow-birds' aren't fully integrated into the community, but viewed more as repeat vacationers.
I used to live in a small town that experienced a huge influx of snowbirds in the winter. As in, the population more than doubled. What I found is they tend to form relationships with other snowbirds and are either distantly friendly or outright hostile toward the year round population. All their real community was back in their permanent residence. It's something to think through if someone genuinely wants to be a snowbird.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2019, 11:47:13 AM »
I think if you are a younger active FIREee you'd be better off checking out "Outside" magazine's (online) various "Best Place for...(fill in your activities etc)". They do an annual Best Places list which not only shows housing costs, taxes and general COL but earmarks all the cool and interesting things there are to do in those places. I think most FIREd types will be less suited for the traditional retirement lists. Here's a 2019 example of Best Places to live: https://www.outsideonline.com/2398647/outside-best-towns-2019

I gave up on Outside magazine where it seemed every story was geared toward where to drink craft beer. Or activities to do before you drink craft beer.

I moved to Florida at age 28 in 1997 because I was sick of cold weather and traffic in the DC area, where I grew up. I love it here for the weather, of course, but more so because it's perfect for my active lifestyle of swimming, paddle boarding, fishing, triathlon, etc. If you don't have an active lifestyle and/or post-retirement life plotted out when you move here, you'll be just bored sitting around watching TV here as you would be up north.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2019, 12:19:49 PM »
Florida weathers sucks, IMO, and at least in the summers. I've visited in June, July, Oct, etc., and every time I have sweat dripping off the tip of my nose within 3 minutes of being outside. My t-shirt sticks to my back, and my cap feels like it was dipped in the Atlantic. No thanks to walking around drenched in sweat for 9 months of the year. I don't understand the appeal of such horrific climate. (yes I know everyone's mileage varies on that sort of thing)

An a side issue to anyone who drives a car down there. It has to be one of the most corrupt states in the country when it comes to insurance and personal injury stuff. Just look at all the Ask Gary BS. And there's no required minimal liability insurance for FL drivers? That is insane. Again, couldn't pay this cool weather-loving fella enough to live down there.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2019, 01:06:33 PM »
I think if you are a younger active FIREee you'd be better off checking out "Outside" magazine's (online) various "Best Place for...(fill in your activities etc)". They do an annual Best Places list which not only shows housing costs, taxes and general COL but earmarks all the cool and interesting things there are to do in those places. I think most FIREd types will be less suited for the traditional retirement lists. Here's a 2019 example of Best Places to live: https://www.outsideonline.com/2398647/outside-best-towns-2019

I gave up on Outside magazine where it seemed every story was geared toward where to drink craft beer. Or activities to do before you drink craft beer.

Interesting.  I gave up on Outside magazine when it seemed like every article was about selling me yet more outdoor gear, and less about where to go/do/see in the actual outside.  That and a lot of night-life articles, which I also didn't much care for.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2019, 01:40:43 PM »

Round here we call these people "snow-birds".  They show up sometime around May and stay until the leaves change, when they head south to avoid the cold winters and very short day-length here.

Not a bad way to do it if your goal is to avoid temperature extremes, though it takes some money and/or creativity to run two-location existence.  The other big downfall I see is the 'snow-birds' aren't fully integrated into the community, but viewed more as repeat vacationers.
I know people who do this.  May through December at "home" in New England, where they have family and friends and rent an apartment.
Jan through April in Florida (where they own a condo), and also have friends.

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2019, 01:52:52 PM »
I moved to Florida at age 28 in 1997 because I was sick of cold weather and traffic in the DC area

Traffic - sure, but cold weather? Snow is on the ground five days per year tops, and even then it is barely below freezing. Heat and humidity hold you indoors for longer than the cold around here.

...although maybe it was colder in 1997.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2019, 02:46:50 PM »
I moved to Florida at age 28 in 1997 because I was sick of cold weather and traffic in the DC area

Traffic - sure, but cold weather? Snow is on the ground five days per year tops, and even then it is barely below freezing. Heat and humidity hold you indoors for longer than the cold around here.

Well for context, there was a massive blizzard in 1996 which might color LiveLean's perspective

Having lived in the DC area what I found frustrating (other than the traffic) was how unable the city was able to deal with actual snow events.  And DC does occasionally get snow - just not every year.  3" will shut down all the businesses and government offices.  Roughly every third year a foot would fall during a single storm and the grocery stores would get cleared out.  And then once a decade or so 18"+ and you might as well lock yourself inside for several days.  And it's all because snow is so inconsistent year-to-year that there's no great way for munipalities to budget snow-clearing, and almost no one has proper winter tires or even experience driving in inclimate weather.

Contrast that to Boston or any other New England (or midwestern) city and a few inches isn't even worth talking about.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2019, 10:20:35 AM »

Well for context, there was a massive blizzard in 1996 which might color LiveLean's perspective

Having lived in the DC area what I found frustrating (other than the traffic) was how unable the city was able to deal with actual snow events.  And DC does occasionally get snow - just not every year.  3" will shut down all the businesses and government offices.  Roughly every third year a foot would fall during a single storm and the grocery stores would get cleared out.  And then once a decade or so 18"+ and you might as well lock yourself inside for several days.  And it's all because snow is so inconsistent year-to-year that there's no great way for munipalities to budget snow-clearing, and almost no one has proper winter tires or even experience driving in inclimate weather.

Contrast that to Boston or any other New England (or midwestern) city and a few inches isn't even worth talking about.

You should try snow down here in AL.  We do get several inches of snow, just not every year.  Pretty much if any snow sticks to the road the city shuts down.  As you pointed out it's just not worth it at all for us to spend all the money that a place like Boston spends to carry on normal life in the snow.  Snow tires, snow removal equipment, plowable road reflectors, etc. all cost money.  It just makes more sense for non-essential services to shut down for a few days every few years.  DC is technically in the South. 

These articles are always so laughable because what people want in a retirement destination is going to be completely different from person to person.  That top ten list is reasonably close to a list of states I would least like to live in because I personally can tolerate plenty of bugs and humidity if it means I don't have to own a snow shovel.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2019, 10:38:44 AM »
Outside's list is pretty funny, calling those 'towns'.  Tucson is the only one I'd ever consider (and am in fact seriously considering).  But I love the Tucson area, and love heat. And I know what I'd be giving up weather-wise, b/c I'm from WI, which I also really love. But the long dark gloomy winters....ugh.  My sister just messaged me yesterday that she is fully into her regular winter depression already, b/c winter weather came early this year to the Midwest.  I had no idea how negatively the weather up there affected my own mood until I moved to the sunny southwest and magically became much mentally healthier.

Snowbirding is my dream (though the biogeek in me would call us "neotropical migrants" LOL).  I'm not certain we will be able to afford it, but I'm sure inclined to try.  We are seriously considering buying a little place over there during the next recession, even though it's a 10 hour drive from our current location. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2019, 10:54:11 AM »

I was there in 1996 for that blizzard.  Fed Govt shut down for 9/10 straight work days (2 back to back blizzards).  It was all fun and games for a few days, then the studio apartment got a little old.  And Pentagon City Mall was closed for a part of that too (a block away from my apartment), so I couldn't even "get out". 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2019, 11:27:43 AM »
I was in school then.  11 straight snow days off.  As you said, fun at first, but it got old quick.  Then the schools were required to meet a minimum threshold for an academic year, so they added something like 14 minutes to every school day, which impacted all after school activities (e.g. instead of athletic practice being an hour, it was 46 minutes, and what was lost was entirely playing time).

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2019, 11:33:15 AM »
I was in school then.  11 straight snow days off.  As you said, fun at first, but it got old quick.  Then the schools were required to meet a minimum threshold for an academic year, so they added something like 14 minutes to every school day, which impacted all after school activities (e.g. instead of athletic practice being an hour, it was 46 minutes, and what was lost was entirely playing time).

That's such a weird way to make up the lost time. I always thought that schools would just extend the school year by a few days if needed.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2019, 11:51:37 AM »

That's such a weird way to make up the lost time. I always thought that schools would just extend the school year by a few days if needed.
Our school system was limited by the number of days it could extend (i think it was 3).  Basically too many local businesses relied on summer workers and too many employees had their contracts end by a certain date (e.g. teachers had already planned their summer vacations, and the custodial staff did not go past a certain date). 
IIRC there are federal requirements for the total number of minutes a schoolyear must be, but not on teh total number of days.

I remember even then as a kid I thought it was useless, because only some of your periods were extended, and those by just a few minutes.  The teachers didn't want one class to get way ahead of the others so mostly you would just get 5-10 minutes to "study".

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2019, 01:40:52 PM »

On the other hand, there were no weather events like this in at least 18 years.

Like, I'll be the last to claim that DC has an ideal climate, but to complain that it's unbearably cold or unlivable because of snow is a bit over the top. The whole reason (as others pointed out) that snow is disruptive is that we don't get a lot of it.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2019, 02:06:21 PM »

On the other hand, there were no weather events like this in at least 18 years.

No...?  What about "snowpocalypse in 2009, where DC got 18"?  Or "Snowmaggedon' in 2010 where Dulles airport had a two-day total of 32"?  Or in 2016 when 17" fell in less than 18 hours?  For the record both 2010 and 2016 eclipsed the blizzard of '96 both inside the city and at Dulles Airport.  2004 was also anotrher big storm (

I mean... there have been multiple times over the last 18 years when schools and the government were shut down for multiple days because of snowfalls that were well into the double-digits.  It's certianly not every year, but it happens on average a couple times a decade.

here's a nice graphic showing the storm totals over 6" over the last 100+ years.  Many years there won't be anything - but foot+ snowfalls happen on average every few years

source: NWS

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2019, 02:41:43 PM »
No...?  What about "snowpocalypse in 2009, where DC got 18"?  Or "Snowmaggedon' in 2010 where Dulles airport had a two-day total of 32"?

"Like this" in terms of human life disruption (based on your description of late 90's), not inches of snow. Neither "snowpocalypse", nor "snowmaggedon" - through both of which I lived - even registered in my head as anything but "great, let's make some Gluehwein and play in the snow!"

I also have to say that this is the perfect illustration that this forum keeps its focus on financial independence, but "through badassity" is completely out of the window. Like, a foot of snow every couple of years, which gets cleared promptly or melts on its own most of the time. Big effing deal. I could understand if a homeless person complained - but I suspect they are not the ones who move to Florida because it snowed once.

dmc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2019, 03:30:42 PM »
I retired to SW Florida 6 years ago.  It took a little getting use to at first, but we like it down here much more than the Midwest.  I just don’t like the cold and being stuck inside for much of the winter.

We do plan our vacations around July and August, but many times the places we visited were hotter than Florida, so we try and go farther north now.

And one of our kids family moved down here last year, so that definatly makes it nicer.  No need to worry about help in our old age.  My wife helps a lot with the grandkids, one of the reasons that they moved, and my daughter in law has always liked Florida.

The biggest problem is it’s  getting crowded.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2019, 03:34:18 PM »
No...?  What about "snowpocalypse in 2009, where DC got 18"?  Or "Snowmaggedon' in 2010 where Dulles airport had a two-day total of 32"?

"Like this" in terms of human life disruption (based on your description of late 90's), not inches of snow. Neither "snowpocalypse", nor "snowmaggedon" - through both of which I lived - even registered in my head as anything but "great, let's make some Gluehwein and play in the snow!"

I also have to say that this is the perfect illustration that this forum keeps its focus on financial independence, but "through badassity" is completely out of the window. Like, a foot of snow every couple of years, which gets cleared promptly or melts on its own most of the time. Big effing deal. I could understand if a homeless person complained - but I suspect they are not the ones who move to Florida because it snowed once.

I wasn't aware that the pursuit of FI required people to live in climates they didn't like (while also having a much higher cost of living).

Continuing to live in a northern climate when a beach climate is preferred doesn't make someone a badass. It makes them a dumbass.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 03:37:59 PM by DadJokes »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2019, 03:58:16 PM »

My husband was on travel during one of those and got stuck in Dulles, they canceled his flight home.  So it registered for me!

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2019, 11:44:43 AM »
I wasn't aware that the pursuit of FI required people to live in climates they didn't like (while also having a much higher cost of living).

Continuing to live in a northern climate when a beach climate is preferred doesn't make someone a badass. It makes them a dumbass.

"I like Florida better" is totally fine. "It snows too much in DC" is a tiny problem exaggeration symptom at it's worst.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2019, 11:54:31 AM »

"I like Florida better" is totally fine. "It snows too much in DC" is a tiny problem exaggeration symptom at it's worst.

Why?  If you really hate snow and/or having disruptions in services then DC is probably not the place you want to permanently retire to.  Seems just as valid as "I like Florida better" or "I don't like the heat/cold/bugs/humidity in _____". FWIW snow-based disruptions in DC are more common than they are where I live in northern New England.

if you're going to evoke 'tiny problem exaggeration' I'll evoke 'position of strength' - as in someone who is FI can chose where they want to end up.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2019, 12:03:14 PM »

There's too much wind and crime for my liking in west Texas, which are strong reasons why I moved away.

I guess I'll never be a badass because I chose to move away from a place I disliked.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2019, 01:04:51 PM »
No way in hell I’m retiring to where it’s cold.

Hell is generally considered to be warm. You should be fine.

:)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2019, 01:26:23 PM »
No way in hell I’m retiring to where it’s cold.

Hell is generally considered to be warm. You should be fine.

:)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2020, 11:36:42 AM »
The heat, humidity and bugs aren't bad - you just have to manage them. Start early, quit before it gets hot, come back out later when it is cooler. 3PM is usually peak temps. Wear bug spray. Own a screened in porch. Air conditioning is a must for part of the summer. Have a summer kitchen if you must simmer or boil - or something like an instant pot.

Body Surfer

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2020, 08:50:55 AM »
A great retirement state is AZ. reasonable cost of living/housing, friendly retirement tax structure, cheerfully sunny weather

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2020, 05:02:06 PM »
Now that I live in dry heat I cannot stand humidity at all. I love our mild 4 seasons.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2020, 12:57:59 PM »
Thing that puzzles me is- why is it so awful to live in a place where it's too COLD* to venture outdoors 3 or 4 months of the year, and yet desirable to live in a place where it's too HOT to venture outdoors 3 or 4 months of the year?

*   especially since, thanks to the revolutionary invention of something called "clothing", one can actually safely venture outdoors during those months!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2020, 01:26:51 PM »
Thing that puzzles me is- why is it so awful to live in a place where it's too COLD* to venture outdoors 3 or 4 months of the year, and yet desirable to live in a place where it's too HOT to venture outdoors 3 or 4 months of the year?

*   especially since, thanks to the revolutionary invention of something called "clothing", one can actually safely venture outdoors during those months!

Personal preference, but my thoughts are one can always dress for the cold (and I’ve lived and happily spent hours outside in temps down to -30ºF/-35ºC) - but there’s far less one can do in extreme heat (arbitrarily defined here as “well above body temp (98.6ºF/37ºC).  I’ve also lived in areas where temps > 104ºF/40ºC occur, and about all you can do it take it slow and avoid exertion (or hide inside or in the water).

Both ends of the spectrum there is a risk of dying - but I can be active in the cold, not so much in the heat.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2020, 02:32:57 PM »
My thoughts exactly.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2020, 03:12:18 PM »

Personal preference, but my thoughts are one can always dress for the cold (and I’ve lived and happily spent hours outside in temps down to -30ºF/-35ºC) - but there’s far less one can do in extreme heat (arbitrarily defined here as “well above body temp (98.6ºF/37ºC).  I’ve also lived in areas where temps > 104ºF/40ºC occur, and about all you can do it take it slow and avoid exertion (or hide inside or in the water).

Both ends of the spectrum there is a risk of dying - but I can be active in the cold, not so much in the heat.

I think the whole thing about it being too hot to go outside is overblown.  Besides a few places in Florida and Arizona I don't think it's that hot or humid for long stretches.  The afternoon heat index here runs in the 90s most of the summer.  I bike or walk even on days when it gets over 100.  It's not exactly fun when it gets that bad, but it's doable if you pace yourself.  I'd much rather go out in the heat than in the cold because I don't like feeling like I'm wearing a space suit.

I think some people tolerate heat better, and some tolerate cold better. 

Then I think there are a lot of snowbirds who just take the best of both worlds. 

BradminOxt19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2020, 03:21:01 PM »

Because you haven't really tried to live somewhere warm to see how it really is.

I have relatives in really cold places and in really hot places.  In the really cold places it is pretty miserable, shoveling snow gets to be old, salt on roads everywhere gets everything dirty, rust on cars, external work on houses come to a stop except for emergency repair, roads break down due to the salt / freezing / moisture. 

For my relatives who live in sunny places like AZ, the heat can be annoying but it's easy to work around.  You don't have to shovel sunshine, nor scrape sunshine off the windows.   The weather is still pleasant in the morning.  You can easily jump into a pool to cool off in the afternoon / evening.  Joints don't ache as much in the heat.  Carry an insulated thermos full of ice with your favorite beverage of choice and stay hydrated to avoid any illness from the heat.  Plus there is a monsoon season with seasonal rains that cool things off fairly well.  The streets are in much better condition due to lack of salt / snow.  It's really easy to deal with the heat compared to all the misery that is snow and ice.

You really need to live in both to understand how heat is much easier for older folks.

BradminOxt19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2020, 03:24:47 PM »

I think the whole thing about it being too hot to go outside is overblown.  Besides a few places in Florida and Arizona I don't think it's that hot or humid for long stretches.  The afternoon heat index here runs in the 90s most of the summer.  I bike or walk even on days when it gets over 100.  It's not exactly fun when it gets that bad, but it's doable if you pace yourself.  I'd much rather go out in the heat than in the cold because I don't like feeling like I'm wearing a space suit.

Then I think there are a lot of snowbirds who just take the best of both worlds.
100% spot on.  I recall last summer when it was 100+ degrees in Chicago, Minneapolis, DC, etc., along with high humidity to boot.  That was a lot more miserable than Phoenix at 115 degrees with no humidity.  People seem to over-state the heat based on the temperature number, but don't realize how easy it is due to the lack of humidity and the numerous ways to cool down (some delicious ways including refreshing smoothies / ice drinks).

Having lived in both climates, I'll never understand how people can compare extreme cold with extreme heat.  One is definitely harder than the other to deal with.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2020, 03:27:35 PM »

Because you haven't really tried to live somewhere warm to see how it really is.

I have relatives in really cold places and in really hot places.  In the really cold places it is pretty miserable, shoveling snow gets to be old, salt on roads everywhere gets everything dirty, rust on cars, external work on houses come to a stop except for emergency repair, roads break down due to the salt / freezing / moisture. 

For my relatives who live in sunny places like AZ, the heat can be annoying but it's easy to work around.  You don't have to shovel sunshine, nor scrape sunshine off the windows.   The weather is still pleasant in the morning.  You can easily jump into a pool to cool off in the afternoon / evening.  Joints don't ache as much in the heat.  Carry an insulated thermos full of ice with your favorite beverage of choice and stay hydrated to avoid any illness from the heat.  Plus there is a monsoon season with seasonal rains that cool things off fairly well.  The streets are in much better condition due to lack of salt / snow.  It's really easy to deal with the heat compared to all the misery that is snow and ice.

You really need to live in both to understand how heat is much easier for older folks.

I love the way you put this.

BradminOxt19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2020, 03:29:36 PM »

People are far more active in the hot summers than in freezing winters than you think.  Many people go hiking, fishing, swimming, tubing in rivers, camping, etc.  You seem to think the hot places are like the sahara, where nothing lives but snakes and lizards and lots of sand dunes.  You really need to travel more and see how it really is.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2020, 03:36:03 PM »

100% spot on.  I recall last summer when it was 100+ degrees in Chicago, Minneapolis, DC, etc., along with high humidity to boot.  That was a lot more miserable than Phoenix at 115 degrees with no humidity.  People seem to over-state the heat based on the temperature number, but don't realize how easy it is due to the lack of humidity and the numerous ways to cool down (some delicious ways including refreshing smoothies / ice drinks).

Having lived in both climates, I'll never understand how people can compare extreme cold with extreme heat.  One is definitely harder than the other to deal with.

Even with humidity the heat's not as bad as it can be made out to be. 

And also humidity makes things worse on both ends.  It can be humid here sometimes in the winter, and that damp cold is tough to deal with because it just seems like it penetrates as many layers as you can put on. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2020, 03:46:58 PM »

People are far more active in the hot summers than in freezing winters than you think.  Many people go hiking, fishing, swimming, tubing in rivers, camping, etc.  You seem to think the hot places are like the sahara, where nothing lives but snakes and lizards and lots of sand dunes.  You really need to travel more and see how it really is.

I don't think you've spent much time reading my posts.  I have lived in hot climates, including Mexico and the US South.  I've also lived in Québec and worked north of the Arctic circle. I've clearly stated that it's my own personal preference, yet you tell me that people's activity levels are "more than think" and then insist I "need to travel more to see how it really is". 

Some people prefer one over the other. That's fine.  No need to shit on other people and their opinions, and imply that they don't know what they are talking about when it comes to their preferences. FWIW I've burned my feet on asphalt baking in the sun and had my dashboard delaminate.  Just there are 'numerous ways to cool down" - there are numerous ways of staying warm and warming up.

BradminOxt19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2020, 03:58:15 PM »

I don't think you've spent much time reading my posts.  I have lived in hot climates, including Mexico and the US South.  I've also lived in Québec and worked north of the Arctic circle. I've clearly stated that it's my own personal preference, yet you tell me that people's activity levels are "more than think" and then insist I "need to travel more to see how it really is". 

Some people prefer one over the other. That's fine.  No need to shit on other people and their opinions, and imply that they don't know what they are talking about when it comes to their preferences. FWIW I've burned my feet on asphalt baking in the sun and had my dashboard delaminate.  Just there are 'numerous ways to cool down" - there are numerous ways of staying warm and warming up.
I'm sorry if my post came across that way, but I took issue with your statement "but there’s far less one can do in extreme heat" which is definitely not true.  There are plenty of snow days where schools and businesses are closed due to the extreme cold and weather.  There are virtually no "sunny days" where schools or businesses are closed due to the heat.  Life generally doesn't come to a halt in the hotter places, people still can get business and personal things done and even enjoy the perks of the heat with pools, etc.

Not seeing the sun for weeks with only gloomy weather can wear on people.  Seeing blue skys and sunny weather generally is not an issue for most people. There are multitude of reasons why most people would be happier with the heat than the cold.  Many of them can't move due to family ties, but those that have the option to move to a sunny place generally love it.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2020, 05:17:19 PM »
I forgot about the time that our gps (Garmin on the dashboard) melted in the car. No garage here.

We don't have snow days, but here in South Florida we do have hurricane days.

BradminOxt19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2020, 06:43:16 PM »
I forgot about the time that our gps (Garmin on the dashboard) melted in the car. No garage here.

We don't have snow days, but here in South Florida we do have hurricane days.
Ouch! The one thing I always have in my car is a sun shade, regardless of where I am.  The sun shade reduces UV and heat, making it much more enjoyable to get in the car after it's been in the sun for a while.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2020, 07:17:42 PM »

I had a drill sergeant who took the opposite view.

As long as you drink enough water, the heat won't kill you (at least anywhere on Earth). But the cold? The cold will absolutely kill you if it gets low enough.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 07:19:43 PM by fattest_foot »