Author Topic: MATH HELP NEEDED - AXA and AF expence ratio theory and actual  (Read 1594 times)

REAL WORLD EXPAT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Maybe it’s me but I can’t figure this out!

I have a 401k with American Funds, have all my money in S&P 500 Vanguard fund and the total expense ratio is quoted at 0.63%

Last month average balance was $156,906 and I paid fees and expenses of $26.13 (My math = $156,906 * 0.0063 = $988/12 = $82 not close to what I paid)

Wife has AXA 401k and all her money is in EQ/Intermediate Government Bond fund with a total expense ratio quoted at 0.72%

Last month average balance was $218,855 and she paid F&E of $150.39 ( My math = $218,855 * 0.0072 = $1,575/12 = $131 somewhat close to what she paid)

What am I missing here? Are AF undercharging me or AXA overcharging me – I don’t expect my math to be exactly right but it does not look close on the AF.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Re: MATH HELP NEEDED - AXA and AF expence ratio theory and actual
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 10:20:34 AM »
You need to read the fine print and figure out how the expense ratios are applied, you assume it is based off of average balance and that may not be correct. Are there any other fees or are those places holding your money in those funds out of the kindness of their hearts?

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
Re: MATH HELP NEEDED - AXA and AF expence ratio theory and actual
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 04:03:21 PM »
I am not sure, but I would not guess that any line labeled "fees and expenses" would be the expense ratio expenses.  Thinking back on my Vanguard and Schwab statements and the numerous investment account statements I have seen from clients, "fees and expenses" seems to me to be annual fees to keep the account, purchase fees, loads, and redemption fees.  Margin interest usually gets its own line, if applicable.

So, Vanguard charges me no annual fee because my account is paperless or I've hit X asset threshold or something.  For Vanguard, I never have a line that says "fees," as I only buy Vanguard funds with no charge for purchase/sale.  Though the expense ratios of my funds are readily available, they don't show up on the fees line.  I can't see Vanguard failing to disclose something that another investment firm shows.

See Bogleheads discussion of AXA:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210654