Author Topic: Man, people really don't like hearing about frugality...  (Read 27185 times)

RookieStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Man, people really don't like hearing about frugality...
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2018, 10:44:04 AM »

Also makes people in my situation feel a bit better. While my wife and I aren't a "low income" family, (combined $96,000 pre-tax in a LCOLA at 29 & 27 years old) we certainly aren't close to many on this forum. It's a little demoralizing seeing so many posts stating how maxing out all 401K's, Roths, HSA is a must. We are extremely frugal people but saving $54,000 a year for retirement is literally impossible for us to survive on with mortgage, daycare, and all other expenses associated with everyday life.

You guys make way more than we did at your age and we hit millionaire status at age 35. So, don't worry, things will improve as you advance in your careers. We didn't even max out 401k and Roth until two years ago.

Bet that was a great feeling! You didn't mention HSA, is that available to you?

I'm currently contributing 12% to 401K and maxing out Roth while contributing half of the max to HSA($3,500 a year). But most people on here (including the investment/debt list) state that I should be maxing HSA over Roth IRA. I guess i'm deciding if I should be scaling 401K back to match and possibly not maxing out Roth to be able to max out the rest of the HSA. Would you advise this?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2018, 10:57:02 AM »
$12/day isn't insignificant for me and we fit the typical household income profile on this forum.

As Laura pointed out, $12 isn't chump change at retirement and in fact could easily be 50% or more of just about anyone's stash (at cord rip) here on these forums.

I made six-figures and spent less than half that amount on all my food for the day! On a one-off basis, sure, $12 isn't going to make a difference, but every day? That adds up.

@RookieStache , have you put together a case study? You may be able to drop your expenses further. There also may be tax benefits to lowering your taxable income below a certain threshold, meaning putting more away in a 401k wouldn't have as big an impact.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2018, 11:08:43 AM »
One of them is also swearing under his breath for what seems to be hours every day.

Cracking up. I have one of these a few cubes over that I can hear.

inline five

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2018, 11:53:32 AM »

Also makes people in my situation feel a bit better. While my wife and I aren't a "low income" family, (combined $96,000 pre-tax in a LCOLA at 29 & 27 years old) we certainly aren't close to many on this forum. It's a little demoralizing seeing so many posts stating how maxing out all 401K's, Roths, HSA is a must. We are extremely frugal people but saving $54,000 a year for retirement is literally impossible for us to survive on with mortgage, daycare, and all other expenses associated with everyday life.

You guys make way more than we did at your age and we hit millionaire status at age 35. So, don't worry, things will improve as you advance in your careers. We didn't even max out 401k and Roth until two years ago.

I'm currently contributing 12% to 401K and maxing out Roth while contributing half of the max to HSA($3,500 a year). But most people on here (including the investment/debt list) state that I should be maxing HSA over Roth IRA. I guess i'm deciding if I should be scaling 401K back to match and possibly not maxing out Roth to be able to max out the rest of the HSA. Would you advise this?

I think you need a high deductible plan for that don't you? Our plans are fairly low cost already with copays for around $60-$80/month.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2018, 11:55:32 AM »
You may have reached more people than you realize.  I found this blog (and the whole concept of ER) through a blog about domestic abuse in the Christian church.  One of the blog owners was traveling to the US for an extended trip and found this site when searching for inexpensive phone service.  She made a post about the great deal she got and linked this site.  That was about 5 years ago and I’ve been hooked ever since!
Yes, the skeptics that aren't willing to try complained in the other forum; anyone who thought it was a good idea would have come here to learn.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2018, 12:29:11 PM »

The nice thing about maxing out the HSA is that if you spend that money on healthcare (either now or later, when you're retired and healthcare is more expensive), you never pay taxes on it, even on investment gains. After a certain age, you can withdraw from it as you would withdraw from an IRA for other expenses, and you would pay the usual taxes as you would for any other IRA then. And although you have to have a HDHP to *contribute* to an HSA, you don't have to have one to use it later -- the money sits there, waiting for you.

So, HSAs are sweet.

Since you're not making contributions to a trad IRA right now, you're not getting tax deductions on your 1040 for that money; even if you did contribute to a trad IRA, you probably wouldn't get the deductions anyways, since you also have access to a 401k. For tax purposes, then, maxing your HSA first is probably a good bet for you.

Also, hi to another person who makes above average income but certainly isn't in the super-high-earner bracket! You are very, VERY much not alone here, even if it feels that way sometimes.

RookieStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2018, 12:38:18 PM »

[/quote]

The nice thing about maxing out the HSA is that if you spend that money on healthcare (either now or later, when you're retired and healthcare is more expensive), you never pay taxes on it, even on investment gains. After a certain age, you can withdraw from it as you would withdraw from an IRA for other expenses, and you would pay the usual taxes as you would for any other IRA then. And although you have to have a HDHP to *contribute* to an HSA, you don't have to have one to use it later -- the money sits there, waiting for you.

So, HSAs are sweet.

Since you're not making contributions to a trad IRA right now, you're not getting tax deductions on your 1040 for that money; even if you did contribute to a trad IRA, you probably wouldn't get the deductions anyways, since you also have access to a 401k. For tax purposes, then, maxing your HSA first is probably a good bet for you.

Also, hi to another person who makes above average income but certainly isn't in the super-high-earner bracket! You are very, VERY much not alone here, even if it feels that way sometimes.
[/quote]

Thanks for the response!

Seadog

• Bristles
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2018, 12:45:43 PM »

I was at a used book fair yesterday. I overhead someone saying they've already blown through their $20 budget and they really couldn't afford it. I was thinking 'what the fuck'. If you can't afford $36 for books which would likely retail for 10 times that (and hence a smart purchase), Then you probably can't afford the initial $20 either.

I see that as an excellent example of someone putting limits on their "fun" spending and sticking to them. You don't know whether they really can't afford more, or whether they simply have a better use for the money, and it doesn't matter either way.

And not everyone can hand-wave away $10 or $20. People digging out of debt, or people who have hit a financial obstacle such as unemployment, may need to count every penny. Frugality is not only for FIRE; sometimes it's a matter of survival.

I think I need to staunchly disagree with you. Make no mistake, buying books is a bit of a frivolous expense, given that you could just as easily get them from the library. But, if you want to go down the path of unneeded spending, it would make more sense to buy as much as possible, since the prices are great, and to get while the getting's good. Much like MMM mentioned about buying cheese here:

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/09/20/wealth-advice-that-should-be-obvious/

If you want to indulge in little luxuries like cheese or printed books, buy as much as you can when the price is low.

If you are hard up, in debt, or whatever, then the appropriate amount to buy is 0. I was thinking the other day why do they even make small bags of dog food and much higher unit cost? Unless your dog is dying in the next 2 months, it basically never makes sense.

This is kind of why I think budgets and "bucket finance" is pointless. If gas goes up, you're not going to avoid going to work. Similarly if it goes down you're not going to buy the rest you budgeted for and just burn it in your yard. It costs what it costs. Same thing here. She could spend $16 extra on 5 used books today, or she could spend $100 on 5 new books in 3 months after she read the $20 worth she just bought.

Seadog

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2018, 01:36:22 PM »
I'd say if you are at the point where spending $12/day on coffee and lunch does not make a difference, you've already won.  The median household income in the US as of a couple of years ago was between $30-40K, after 401(k) and such but before taxes.  The average figure for single or head of household filers is around $35K.* 

$12/day is the equivalent of $3120/yr -- for the average American, almost 10% of gross income.  If you choose to invest that, you end up with almost $700K by retirement age (assuming 7% average returns).  That alone will provide over $27K of income every year for the rest of your life -- a figure that is probably close to 100% of pre-retirement take-home pay, even before you count SS.  And even that guy can RE if he can find another $10-12/day to save. 

Honestly, it's attitudes like this that put people off and give people excuses to argue that they can't do it so why try?  Making an income that allows you to save 80% is a massive fucking privilege that is shared by only a very small percentage of the US population.  So telling everyone else sorry, sucks to be you, you've lost, isn't exactly going to convert 95% of people to the magic of frugality.  And the reality is, it's those people who need this advice the most.  And we as a society would also benefit far more from "average" folks achieving financial security than from privileged folks like us bugging out of the working world a few more years early.  So if your goal is to spread the gospel of MMM, do it in a way that appeals to the average guy, rather than making it sound like some exclusive club to which the 99% need not apply.

Finally, it's a mistake to assume that low incomes are forever.  My mom managed to save money even when she was a single mom on food stamps -- even if it was $5/week, she put it aside for our future.  As a result of her hard work for close to 10 years, she got a steady, decently-paying job, and we were able to move into a neighborhood with good public schools that then set me up for my own success.  But there were dozens of times over the years when we could have fallen off the cliff, because if you don't have a cushion, maybe you can't finish your degree, or maybe you need to take a crappy job just to make ends meet.  It was saving that little bit when she didn't have much of anything that helped her get to the point where a better job was even an option, which in turn ultimately allowed her to make the kind of salary that she could save 90% of.  Just because you can't hit 70-80% savings at 20 or 30 doesn't mean you shouldn't do what you can.

*Note that the first figure is median and the second calls itself "average," which I assume is the mean and so is skewed by higher-earners.  I am focusing on the single filer, because the scenario involves a single coffee and lunch per day.  If you are going to look at the median household income figures that are closer to $60K, you also need to multiply those figures by two for the two adults involved, so the end result is basically the same.

Good post.

Where did 30-40k come from? A quick googling shows that median income in the US is 57-59k, (http://www.businessinsider.com/us-census-median-income-2017-9)

I was never saying that $12 on coffee/lunch was smart or responsible, simply that if you are regularly spending that and saving nothing, then you're likely a spendy pants who has way bigger issues, and they should be tackled first as they can make the biggest impact. I think waste follows the 80-20 rule, and while housing/transport probably fall into the 20% of items which result in 80% of your waste. Get those under control, and then you can start nit-picking at the 80% smaller items that result in the 20% waste like coffees, paying for parking when free is available 1 mile away, cable, newspaper subscription etc.

So you save your 3k or ~5%, how many years until you can retire and supplant your 58k income? Basically never. Hell even if you only make 30k like you alluded to, a 10% savings rate still chains you to a job for 50 years. Or you can go full mustache mode saving half, in which case the difference between 45% and 50% is minor, 14 years vs 16.

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/years_to_retirement.png

So if your savings rate is around 0%, an addition 3k/yr makes the difference between never retiring and almost never retiring. If you're already around 50% than it's 2 less years. That's what I meant when I say that 3k/yr is a rounding error. On it's own, it doesn't have the power to dramatically alter your situation. The true game changers are going from ~0-10% savings rate to 40-50% savings. That *could* happen by eliminating coffees, but only along side other meals out, fancy new clothes, expensive shows, and a host of other small expenses which add up. 

I believe it's possible to be both an accomplished saver, and make room for little luxuries, and that's where I would put coffee/lunch. If you live in a modest home, bike to work, save half your income, then you likely know what you're doing. As long as buying these fancy coffees and lunches is a conscious choice because you're a coffee aficionado or foodie or whatever, while being fully cognizant of their wastefullness, then I think it's fine.

I think more than blanket statements like "don't buy coffee" what's needed is to teach people honest cost-value analysis. People just do it because it's the default thing to do, and proceed without even thinking. You can make equally good coffee and lunches for like 1/5th the price. To me spending $12 on something I can put together for $2 borders on obscene.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2018, 01:41:50 PM »

I was at a used book fair yesterday. I overhead someone saying they've already blown through their $20 budget and they really couldn't afford it. I was thinking 'what the fuck'. If you can't afford $36 for books which would likely retail for 10 times that (and hence a smart purchase), Then you probably can't afford the initial $20 either.

I see that as an excellent example of someone putting limits on their "fun" spending and sticking to them. You don't know whether they really can't afford more, or whether they simply have a better use for the money, and it doesn't matter either way.

And not everyone can hand-wave away $10 or $20. People digging out of debt, or people who have hit a financial obstacle such as unemployment, may need to count every penny. Frugality is not only for FIRE; sometimes it's a matter of survival.

I think I need to staunchly disagree with you. Make no mistake, buying books is a bit of a frivolous expense, given that you could just as easily get them from the library. But, if you want to go down the path of unneeded spending, it would make more sense to buy as much as possible, since the prices are great, and to get while the getting's good. Much like MMM mentioned about buying cheese here:

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/09/20/wealth-advice-that-should-be-obvious/

If you want to indulge in little luxuries like cheese or printed books, buy as much as you can when the price is low.

If you are hard up, in debt, or whatever, then the appropriate amount to buy is 0. I was thinking the other day why do they even make small bags of dog food and much higher unit cost? Unless your dog is dying in the next 2 months, it basically never makes sense.

This is kind of why I think budgets and "bucket finance" is pointless. If gas goes up, you're not going to avoid going to work. Similarly if it goes down you're not going to buy the rest you budgeted for and just burn it in your yard. It costs what it costs. Same thing here. She could spend $16 extra on 5 used books today, or she could spend $100 on 5 new books in 3 months after she read the $20 worth she just bought.

Books ≠ cheese. That rule applies with the assumption that you will definitely buy the thing at full price later if you don't buy it now. Perhaps this person has an amount where they are willing to pay for the luxury of owning the book when it is under x, but not above x.

For example, if I was in a thrift store and saw an interesting book for $1 I might buy it and bring it back when I'm done with it. It's convenient because the book is already in my hands and I can keep it as long as I want. I might even decide to give it to someone else if I like it. But if it's $2 I would check to see if the library has it because that's too much to pay for the luxury of convenience.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2018, 01:47:01 PM »

The more that you buy at a time, the more likely some of it will go to waste, and don't even get me started on the clutter issue. 

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2018, 03:15:21 PM »
Books are my main regular hobby spending that leads to me acquiring more stuff. I don't set myself a hard limit, but I usually end up spending around £20 a month on that (which is well within my budget). But usually, it ISN'T worth buying a whole library's worth of books at once, because a) used book shops/charity shops/etc exist the whole year round, and b) normally in a second-hand book place there's only a limited selection of books in there that you actually want. There's no point spending the extra £30 to buy a bunch of books that don't look interesting or if you already have that topic well covered in your collection.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2018, 06:14:03 PM »
Most people are so programmed to spend and spend that they won't walk out of their little cubicle cages no matter what.  It's too scary.

Most people don't even work in cubicles.  I never have.  I have my own office.

Um...I know a TON of people who work in cubicles. I would say the vast overwhelming majority of people in know who work in an office setting work in cubicles; very few have their own offices, even managers.

The finance office I work out of is almost entirely cubicles.

Ummm... those are fine anecdotes.  But it doesn't change the fact that the majority of workers out there do NOT work in cubicles.  Most people I know do not work in one.  I have my own office, but many people don't work office jobs, period.   The original post I responded to wasn't speaking about only office workers, but "most people" in general, so the qualifier "who work in an office setting" would change the discussion vs. what was originally stated.  I think too many people on here assume that everyone has the same working environment that they do.  If I had to work in a cubicle or an open floor plan, I would have already retired.  LOL

Edit: After reading some of the other comments, I see I'm not alone in disliking that type of work environment.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 06:26:23 PM by DreamFIRE »

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2018, 06:21:37 PM »
The median household income in the US as of a couple of years ago was between $30-40K, after 401(k) and such but before taxes.  The average figure for single or head of household filers is around $35K.* 

Good post.

Where did 30-40k come from? A quick googling shows that median income in the US is 57-59k,

That's different info.  She did specifically say "a couple years ago" AND "after 401(k) and such."  A couple from a couple years ago who was putting >30% of their income into a 401(k) would bring them down into the lower range stated.  And, "and such", could mean after healthcare premiums or charities for instance.

I posted earlier:  Median household income for a single person household was just over $30,000 in 2016.  A single "earner" household averaged $48,550 income.  Details can make a big difference.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2018, 07:29:29 PM »
The median household income in the US as of a couple of years ago was between $30-40K, after 401(k) and such but before taxes.  The average figure for single or head of household filers is around $35K.* 

Good post.

Where did 30-40k come from? A quick googling shows that median income in the US is 57-59k,

That's different info.  She did specifically say "a couple years ago" AND "after 401(k) and such."  A couple from a couple years ago who was putting >30% of their income into a 401(k) would bring them down into the lower range stated.  And, "and such", could mean after healthcare premiums or charities for instance.

I posted earlier:  Median household income for a single person household was just over $30,000 in 2016.  A single "earner" household averaged $48,550 income.  Details can make a big difference.

Yes, exactly.  I had two different websites, which of course I can't find now; one listed the 2014 AGI (so post-401(k), pre-tax); the other listed incomes that were at different deciles in @2016 or so.  FWIW, here is a calculator that purports to tell you where your income falls based on 2016 data; looks like the 50th percentile falls somewhere between $37-38K.  https://dqydj.com/income-percentile-calculator/

I think the single earner analysis is more appropriate here because, as I mentioned in my first post, the illustration assumes one coffee and one lunch a day.  When you have more than one person in the household, you also likely have more than one person buying coffees and lunches.  So you can use the single-earner figures with a single coffee and lunch, or the dual-earner figures with two coffees and lunches, and the result is going to be pretty much the same.

@Seadog:  my problem with your analysis is that it overlooks the impact of SS and Medicare/Medicaid especially at those lower income levels.  Per the above, even saving only 10% -- assuming you never increase that figure -- gets you around $27-28K/yr, which as I mentioned may even equate to almost 100% of take-home pay.  But you also get at least some SS as of 62, which is a proportionately larger percentage of your pay for low earners.  Sure, maybe to the FIRE community working for 40 years isn't that big of a difference from working for 50 years.  But to that 62-year-old who is in a position to walk away -- even before he is eligible for maximum SS in 8 more years -- it's pretty huge. 

At the same time, I do not disagree that for many people, the little things are just symptomatic of much larger issues, and the more progress can be made by focusing on those.  That said, you also can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  I can certainly attest from personal experience how easy it is to slip into bad habits and convenience, like takeout or the occasional coffee or whatever, and not even realize how much money is disappearing down that hole.  It's like death by a thousand cuts, where each choice appears inconsequential, but in combination they burn a giant hole in your pocket.

ministashy

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2018, 10:04:01 AM »
Most people are so programmed to spend and spend that they won't walk out of their little cubicle cages no matter what.  It's too scary.

Um...I know a TON of people who work in cubicles. I would say the vast overwhelming majority of people in know who work in an office setting work in cubicles; very few have their own offices, even managers.

Ummm... those are fine anecdotes.  But it doesn't change the fact that the majority of workers out there do NOT work in cubicles.  Most people I know do not work in one.  I have my own office, but many people don't work office jobs, period.   The original post I responded to wasn't speaking about only office workers, but "most people" in general, so the qualifier "who work in an office setting" would change the discussion vs. what was originally stated.  I think too many people on here assume that everyone has the same working environment that they do.  If I had to work in a cubicle or an open floor plan, I would have already retired.  LOL

Edit: After reading some of the other comments, I see I'm not alone in disliking that type of work environment.

Hate to get bogged down in the details--especially since whether people actually work in 'cubicle cages' was not the main point of my reply--but I work in security, and at the start of my career I walked through a lotof office buildings on patrol.  Almost all of the floors I patrolled were 75-80% cubicles, with the rest partitioned off into conference rooms, private offices, etc.  I currently work for a big Fortune 500 corporation, and the same is true here for every building I visit.  So your perspective doesn't line up to my observations ....

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2018, 11:27:36 PM »

Yeah... my wife had a conversation with some other women at a discussion group about budgets and how tightly some of them budgeted for stuff with buckets.  She was pretty quiet during the conversation because we just don't do that.  We keep our expenses comfortably under our income (not that we're saving 80%... wtf), but we just don't drill down that tightly into finances.  If we need gas, we buy gas.  I don't take my truck if I don't have a good reason to, but I don't worry about putting fuel in it.  We keep our food expenses low, and aren't spending extravagantly on food, but we don't hit the 20th and say, "Well, time to empty the pantry out because we spent high this month."  I spent a decent hunk of cash on boots recently, because my old set was falling apart and, empirically, cheap boots don't hold up out where I live (lots of dirt and rocks).  Mostly, the arrangement is that I make the money, and my wife spends it efficiently.  If she finds a good deal on something that we'll use, she buys a lot of it, because we have the space to store it.

I get the whole bucket/envelope budgeting as a starting point if you have no budget, but it's a really stressful way to live.  Ideally, you can get an understanding of finances such that you don't have to be that rigid.  I've described my financial goals, to various people, as "making sure my wife doesn't have to worry about money."  I keep her updated on general financial state and such, and she's absolutely amazing at stretching a nickel (we have good thrift shops around here that are oddly well stocked, and she knows all of them), but if I have to tell her that we're on a very tight financial leash, that's my failing.

Also, seriously, there's no such thing as too many books. :)  They are so much better than TV.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2018, 08:44:44 AM »
I've had a budget for 25 years, and it's not stressful at all.  Unlike Seadog, I don't have to spend the exact amount that is budgeted and burn gas in the driveway.  Geesh, that's missing the point.  It doesn't have to be rigid as a board on a month by month basis.  Some of my budgeted items are paid only once or twice per year.  Some home maintenance items are far less frequent.  My budget is based on long term averages, which I will adjust over time.  It gives me an a good idea how much I'm spending on things each month on average, but I still have over $5000/mo left over on average after necessary expenses that I can use for discretionary spending and saving.  If I spend less on gas one month, the remaining budgeted amount will probably just go to savings, or I might spend a little more on food or something different.  If there's a continuing trend of over or under spending of a budgeted item, I'll adjust the budget to reflect that.  Easy peasy and has been working great for 25 years.

I'm not a fan of fiction books, I prefer TV/movies in that respect.  I read enough for my job.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 08:46:48 AM by DreamFIRE »

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2018, 08:53:23 AM »

Hate to get bogged down in the details--especially since whether people actually work in 'cubicle cages' was not the main point of my reply--but I work in security, and at the start of my career I walked through a lotof office buildings on patrol.  Almost all of the floors I patrolled were 75-80% cubicles, with the rest partitioned off into conference rooms, private offices, etc.  I currently work for a big Fortune 500 corporation, and the same is true here for every building I visit.  So your perspective doesn't line up to my observations ....

And again, another nice "anecdote."  If you had a job that installed cubicles, you would probably see more of them also.  If you only went into office buildings with large numbers of employees packed in, you might see more cubicles as well.  But we are talking about "ALL" workers, not just the people in some large office buildings that someone might visit.

Here's a reference:

https://www.payscale.com/career-news/2016/06/cubicles-have-to-go

It states that 60% of office workers work in cubicles and that 93% say it's the worst part of office life.  That would explain why you hear so many people hating on cubicle life here in this forum.

Now throw in the millions of people that are not working in offices at all.  The 60% figure definitely drops below 50% when you factor in ALL workers.  You can't say most people work in cubicles when it's below 50% - by definition.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 09:04:13 AM by DreamFIRE »

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2018, 09:31:26 AM »
I've had a budget for 25 years, and it's not stressful at all.  Unlike Seadog, I don't have to spend the exact amount that is budgeted and burn gas in the driveway.  Geesh, that's missing the point.  It doesn't have to be rigid as a board on a month by month basis.  Some of my budgeted items are paid only once or twice per year.  Some home maintenance items are far less frequent.  My budget is based on long term averages, which I will adjust over time.  It gives me an a good idea how much I'm spending on things each month on average, but I still have over $5000/mo left over on average after necessary expenses that I can use for discretionary spending and saving.  If I spend less on gas one month, the remaining budgeted amount will probably just go to savings, or I might spend a little more on food or something different.  If there's a continuing trend of over or under spending of a budgeted item, I'll adjust the budget to reflect that.  Easy peasy and has been working great for 25 years.

At this point, my budget is for my own amusement and planning purposes, but through our 20s and 30s when money was tight, our budget was tight. Money for rent/food/transportation came off the top, and if we were running low on the money set aside for gas, we didn't stop going to work, but we sure as heck stopped going anyplace else.

I walk through a gas station on my way to work every day, and there is *often* someone there hunting through the seats for change for enough gas to get to work, so for some people, it really does matter.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 11:59:44 AM by Cranky »

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2018, 09:34:51 AM »

Glad there is someone else here who gets it!

The MMM concept isn't for min/low wage workers who live 10 to a house and bike to work, who forgo health insurance for 40 years just to have enough to retire at the end when they turn 65 and die several years later.

They can of course learn from it but it's not a $2 coffee or avocado toast that is preventing them from obtaining financial independence.
FI is a continuum. Everyone, at any income level can take something from the ideas here and gain something towards FI. They may not end up retiring early. That's not really the point.

Are you a failure at saving and frugality if your household ends up at 65yrs old collecting $30k in SS with "only" $500,000 in investments generating an additional $20k a year? /s/
  Since no one responded to my sarcasm, I will.
No way is that a failure,
 From the Motley Fool page, $500,000 puts you ahead of 85% of the population.
From a US News and world headline "Many Americans Think They Need $1M for Retirement, Half Have Less Than $25K"

swampwiz

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2018, 06:47:24 AM »
One friend I turned MMM to read through some of the blog and then claimed "it's an unrealistic utopia." It's as if the math right in front of them is meaningless or they simply don't believe it because it's complicated or seems to good to be true.

I think most of us are programmed with beliefs that are very challenging to break. It's like our own personal religions. I can show my friend how I will be retired in around 4 years in my mid 40's and she doesn't care. There's a dozen excuses. This despite her and her husband earning more than my partner and I. But of course, they need the new all wheel drive Volvo SUV and all new gear every ski season and so on.

I enjoy seeing folks spend twice as much on a 1-week ski vacation than I spend on a 2-month ski vacation.

swampwiz

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2018, 07:01:59 AM »
Oh jeez.  Despite growing up less than an hour (in snowy weather) from a supposedly great mountain, I've never had any interest in skiing or snowboarding.  Talk about expensive!  That mountain is over a 100 bucks for a day pass!  Also, new skis every year make them better skiers, didn't you know? Haha

I guess you don't know the meaning of "season pass".  When I was in diasporee mode from major hurricane flood, I lived in the Denver area and got a season pass to Copper Mountain for $229.  Throw in $20 RT gas, and I barely spent over $1K to ski as much as 37 times.  I did something similar going to the Schladming-Randstadt region in Austria for about $500, staying at a place for $600 a month, and now currently go to Rosa Khutor (Sochi Olympics mountain) and stay near the beach at place that costs about $350/mo, paying about $50 each day to ski.  (I don't ski much more than 20 times year, and if I did, I would simply get the season pass there.)

swampwiz

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2018, 07:04:11 AM »
There was also a surprising number of people claiming that they love their job.  Which is hard for me to swallow.  I think because there's no situation where I'm required to be somewhere for large periods of time in exchange for my livelihood that I would consider an even remotely good deal.  I don't even dislike my job, but it's just a means to an end.  That's it.   
This cracks me up.  Sure they love their job, sure.  Total dishonesty.

A philosophy major friend of mine made the observation that a bad day of vacation always beats a good day of work.

swampwiz

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2018, 07:14:30 AM »
You people crack me up.  This may be hard to understand, but not everyone thinks and behaves the same way you do. I love my job and after I reach FI I will continue to work part time doing my job.  If I hit the lottery and won millions tomorrow, I would do my job for free because I find true meaning in my work.  I consider myself incredibly fortunate to be in this position because I know many people who find their work drudgery.  Maybe it’s time that those of you who hate your job find something more rewarding.

There's a difference between loving what you do and loving your job. I suspect that a lot of people at least enjoy what they do for work, and might continue doing it in some fashion after retirement. But most jobs are constructed in a way that chips away at your soul. Dealing with egos and power dynamics? Attending meetings by people who just want to hear themselves talk? Being forced to show up for X hours and Y days, even at times you'd be better served by taking some rest? Those are part of the package deal of very many jobs out there.
Yes!  This!  I love the work I do- coaching and training employees who want to move into leadership.  I HATE being forced to go to a place for a specific amount of time and being evaluated on arbitrary metrics.

BINGHISIMMO!

mbl

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2018, 08:13:21 AM »
Also, seriously, there's no such thing as too many books. :)  They are so much better than TV.

Absolutely.....and the library is filled with them.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2018, 08:49:07 AM »
There was also a surprising number of people claiming that they love their job.  Which is hard for me to swallow.  I think because there's no situation where I'm required to be somewhere for large periods of time in exchange for my livelihood that I would consider an even remotely good deal.  I don't even dislike my job, but it's just a means to an end.  That's it.   

A philosophy major friend of mine made the observation that a bad day of vacation always beats a good day of work.

That philosophy major probably didn't spend their first day of Thanksgiving vacation driving six hours to Vegas, spending a night in a hotel when both kids started barfing, then spent another 6 hours the next day driving BACK home, with 2 nauseous parents, 2 sick kids, nobody on solid food, and four barf buckets.  Thanksgiving dinner at home that year was crackers and applesauce.

I'll take a good day at work any day.  I'd say that even a layoff day at work beat that vacation day.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2018, 11:01:39 AM »

"As much as you can" might well be exactly $20 for that person on that day. Why is this hard for you to believe?

You are criticizing someone for limiting their spending on non-essentials. Are you sure you're on the right forum?

If gas goes up, you're not going to avoid going to work. Similarly if it goes down you're not going to buy the rest you budgeted for and just burn it in your yard. It costs what it costs. Same thing here. She could spend $16 extra on 5 used books today, or she could spend $100 on 5 new books in 3 months after she read the $20 worth she just bought.

Not the same thing at all. You need to get to work, regardless of the price of gas. You don't *need* to buy 5 books per month; you can adjust your spending to the prices.

One minute you're saying to buy as much as possible when the price is good; the next minute you're saying it's the same as buying the same amount every time regardless of price.

And you think someone who limits themselves to $20 on books is really going to go out and spend $100 on the same number of books? Really?

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2018, 01:01:04 PM »
Demand for gas = inelastic
Demand for leisure reading = elastic

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2018, 02:07:30 PM »
For further obfuscation of the argument here, I would like to add that a junky coffee these days is at least $5 after tax and that most people are not buying a $2 drip coffee.

Sent from my H1623 using Tapatalk

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2018, 02:15:35 PM »

The philosophy business is tough, no doubt about it. ;-)

But I actually do like my job. I'm going to retire next year for medical reasons (knees need updating!) and I'm fairly sad about it.

I like vacation in the sense of seeing people I love whom I don't see every day, but otherwise it's a giant pain.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2018, 02:35:51 PM »
Demand for gas = inelastic
Demand for leisure reading = elastic

To complicate matters even further, of course demand for gas is not fully inelastic. At first people will cut down on unnecessary trips. If prices go up enough, at some point people will decide to bike / walk / use public traffic / carpool  / find a job closer to home.

Gas is extremely cheap in the US compared to Europe. According to the AAA,  the average price of 1 gallon of gas (3,7 liters) in the US today is $2.871 which is $0.77 per liter. In my country we pay $2,08 (€1,80) per liter, which is almost $7,70 per gallon (with a minimum wage of around $10,50). I'm sure if prices increased to $7,70 the demand for gas would suddenly turn out to be elastic ....  :)

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2018, 06:57:56 AM »
I don't budget either,  and it is a bit of a luxury not to be forced to due to lack of funds. But I in no way feel superior because of that. I think budgeters are more efficient in their cash flow utilization.  I'm order to not have to budget, I must keep more money on hand in a non-earning slush capacity,  while those who run a tighter ship can and sometimes do, much more with their extra cash. (I have a certain poster on another message board in mind here.)  I wish that I had the discipline and consistency that it takes.