Author Topic: Mac Book Air-Help Finding  (Read 5105 times)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Mac Book Air-Help Finding
« on: December 14, 2017, 03:39:51 PM »
So I talked my daughter in College off the ledge but only so far....She insists on getting herself a Mac Book Air for school and gave me a whole bunch of reasons that mean jack to me. So the point of this post is I know people have found Electronics on here slightly used/refurbished etc.. so I am simply asking for some reputable websites to look at and if there is anything else I should look for to protect her investment.

xfactor9600

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Mac Book Air-Help Finding
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 03:45:14 PM »
I've had my MacBook Air for 4 years now. It runs as good as new and I've never had any issues with it. I have an IT background and the it just works when I need it too. That said I believe Apple has a refurbished site for people who return on warranty. I'll hunt for the site.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 03:48:38 PM »
Apple refurb site (full 1 year warranty, and they move fast) - https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air

Mac of all Trades (90 day warranty, wider range of laptops, including older ones) - https://www.macofalltrades.com/Refurbished-Used-Apple-MacBook-Airs-s/303.htm

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 03:50:31 PM »
Apple refurb site (full 1 year warranty, and they move fast) - https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air

Mac of all Trades (90 day warranty, wider range of laptops, including older ones) - https://www.macofalltrades.com/Refurbished-Used-Apple-MacBook-Airs-s/303.htm
I've had my MacBook Air for 4 years now. It runs as good as new and I've never had any issues with it. I have an IT background and the it just works when I need it too. That said I believe Apple has a refurbished site for people who return on warranty. I'll hunt for the site.

Thank you both I will start with those. I dont know much about Apple , I did see one on Best Buys site for 650$ so just starting the process

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 04:15:06 PM »
There's also PowerMax, who includes a 120 day warranty.

If you don't mind shopping outside of Apple Partner dealers, the old refurbished Windows laptop standby dealers of US Micro and EPC occasionally get refurb Macs through their stores on occasion.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 05:22:33 PM »
There's also PowerMax, who includes a 120 day warranty.

If you don't mind shopping outside of Apple Partner dealers, the old refurbished Windows laptop standby dealers of US Micro and EPC occasionally get refurb Macs through their stores on occasion.

Awesome, Thanks!

Ocinfo

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 05:28:30 PM »
I’ve looked at buying used Apple products and ultimately it never made sense. There are fairly regular sales at places like Bestbuy or Micro center for ~$250 off regular price. The MacBooks really hold their value. I’m currently using an upgraded mid-2011 Mac Mini and my wife has a late 2016 MacBook Pro. Both run equally well for daily tasks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 05:54:02 PM »
I swear by the Apple Refurb site, both my wife and I have MBA refurbs purchased at different times, both probably 5 years old or older now and still running great. Having helped someone cross-shop for a MBP recently, the greatest difficulty is determining what generation is really being advertised. If in doubt, the MacRumors buyers guide can be a big help https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 06:32:36 PM »
Also compare the education pricing: https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/buy-mac/macbook-air

Looks like it's good for $150 off the regular price of the Airs. I'm not sure what info you need to provide to get the discounted pricing, but if nothing else I think you should be able to buy from her school's computer store once she has a student ID.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 06:46:40 PM »
Also compare the education pricing: https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/buy-mac/macbook-air

Looks like it's good for $150 off the regular price of the Airs. I'm not sure what info you need to provide to get the discounted pricing, but if nothing else I think you should be able to buy from her school's computer store once she has a student ID.

Your correct, she does get a pretty good discount but to me its still to much for a new one.  Like 250$ off. But I want her to learn to not impulse buy and look around etc...  Got in an argument with her over a stupid hat because she was willing to pay 25$ more for one with the Nike logo. So those are the things I am working with her on!

shawndoggy

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 06:53:16 PM »
Your correct, she does get a pretty good discount but to me its still to much for a new one.  Like 250$ off. But I want her to learn to not impulse buy and look around etc...  Got in an argument with her over a stupid hat because she was willing to pay 25$ more for one with the Nike logo. So those are the things I am working with her on!

With kids on something as expensive as a macbook, it should ONLY be new or apple refurb so you get the apple warranty (and can buy applecare if you so desire). 

I'm totally down for buying used stuff, but computers is not one of them.  Especially a laptop.  I want to know it hasn't been abused and that I'm going to have some period of time to confirm the health of the battery. 

shawndoggy

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »
Also woot has some refurbs right now if you must roll the dice on something used: https://computers.woot.com/plus/apple-macbook-laptops-11?ref=w_gh_cp_4_wp_1

inline five

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 07:47:57 PM »
Sometimes you can get a hit on eBay, I bought a several month old MacBook Pro for $810 and it still had about nine months left on the factory warranty with option to extend per Apple. Sold it for $950 a few months later. It's around a $1200 new item.

Even if I kept it I would've had "equity" in it for a couple of years, they really hold their $.

The MacBook Airs are kinda chinsy IMO and I hate to say this but for some reason the younger kids want them for name brand recognition, like having a BMW in the driveway instead of a Toyota.

I just recently bought a my wife a Lenovo X1 carbon 3rd gen off eBay for $500, sweet computer I think it's an i7. Plenty fast for anything out there besides gaming. When new two years ago they were $1500 laptops.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 07:50:34 PM by inline five »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 08:25:36 PM »
I'm totally down for buying used stuff, but computers is not one of them.  Especially a laptop.  I want to know it hasn't been abused and that I'm going to have some period of time to confirm the health of the battery.

...a fool and their money, et cetera, et cetera.

If you're talking consumer grade laptop crep, I wouldn't even buy the stuff new.

There's nothing wrong with a good refurbished laptop, especially when it's a good business/enterprise laptop like a Dell Latitude or Lenovo Thinkpad. It's considerably cheaper, far better for the environment, and you get a way better built machine for the money.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 09:25:22 PM »
MacBook Air is great little laptop. They have no moving parts so there is less to go wrong compared to laptops just a few years ago. Look on eBay and purchase a used one from a reseller who offers a 30 day or even 90 day warrantee just to be safe. That's what we did and are very satisfied.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 02:56:00 AM »
Sometimes you can get a hit on eBay, I bought a several month old MacBook Pro for $810 and it still had about nine months left on the factory warranty with option to extend per Apple. Sold it for $950 a few months later. It's around a $1200 new item.

Even if I kept it I would've had "equity" in it for a couple of years, they really hold their $.

The MacBook Airs are kinda chinsy IMO and I hate to say this but for some reason the younger kids want them for name brand recognition, like having a BMW in the driveway instead of a Toyota.

I just recently bought a my wife a Lenovo X1 carbon 3rd gen off eBay for $500, sweet computer I think it's an i7. Plenty fast for anything out there besides gaming. When new two years ago they were $1500 laptops.

Brand Recognition is what it is with her!  So if there is at least away to teach her something , someone to save thats my goal. But i will share these other brands with her as well.  I have been using a Toshiba Laptop I am on right now everyday for 6+ years and works great and I know I got a good deal on it or I would not have bought it.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 07:52:09 AM »
Brand Recognition is what it is with her!  So if there is at least away to teach her something , someone to save thats my goal.

*cough* You kinda walked yourself straight into this one, buddy, and you've technically already lost the battle without even knowing it.

From another of your threads just yesterday...
Researched all the details and where my oldest two are in college for coverage plus where we live and with the change over am saving now 116$ a month and have unlimited everything and Hulu. [snip] The new deal Sprint if offering turned out to be pretty good. [snip] So Sprint bought out the 3 JS5 phones we still had payments on and took care of every cost the other 3 were Apples I believe I-7s so we have backups . Basically US Cellular just generated a final bill and they paid it. We receive 6 brand new Iphone 8's and and my bill is just over 150$ plus we had only 13GB and now have Unlimited everything. [snip] I figure between the two I will still have plenty of usage but will save a minimum of 2400$ a year.
Ours has the phone payments in it so 30 something a phone and everything.

Translation: WE COMMITTED OURSELVES TO $4200+ WORTH OF NEW IPHONES ON A LEASE PAYMENT FOR THE ENTIRE FAMILY JUST TO SWITCH NETWORKS AND SAVE A FEW BUCKS ON PAPER DESPITE HAVING AT LEAST THREE MORE IPHONES THAT WE ALREADY SPENT AT LEAST $2000 ON THAT WE COULD HAVE STILL USED BUT ARE NOW ROTTING IN A DRAWER AS "SPARES" INSTEAD, AND CELEBRATED THIS CHANGE BY DOING BAD MATH ON OUR EXPENSES AND IGNORING THE $1000+ BILL THAT'LL COME DUE IN 18 MONTHS - ASSUMING WE DON'T BREAK ANYTHING AND/OR TRADE IN OUR PHONES BETWEEN THEN AND NOW KEEPING US IN THAT LEASE IN PERPETUITY! AWESOME! *throws confetti*

Perhaps the lesson should have started internally, first. After all, she's only following your lead.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 08:16:04 AM »
Apple isn't all JUST brand/style. As mentioned above the MBA is SSD so the drive failure rate is lower. The OS itself is much nicer than windows and BSD based under the hood, windows 10 stole half it's features from MacOS like mission control, easy indexed search from the cortana bar, etc.

We just replaced my wife's 2011 MBA with a new one. The 2011 is missing some keys and the screen flops a bit, but it's still functional today running Sierra (the current OS). Trying running Windows 10 on a 2011 laptop and see how responsive it is.

I'm a fairly high level techie and have a lot of different boxes around the house (for free, so don't crucify me) including a high end alienware gaming laptop, surface pro, touchescreen thinkpad and... a recent model MBP. For personal use outside of gaming I greatly prefer the Mac.

I wouldn't have a problem getting a MBA for my kid as a college device although spec wise you can get more bang for your buck with a more generic discounted windows laptop. Apple has a student discount FWIW to offset cost a little. Someone mentioned refurb as well which can be a great way to go. Refurb laptops are often QC'd better since they have to be repaired and checked before sale. If you have anyone in friends/family that work in tech you can often get them to buy at discount a well.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 08:20:06 AM by big_slacker »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 08:31:54 AM »
My DW is an Apple fan as is my eldest child. Good hardware.

I on the other hand like cheap (but good) stuff. Look at eBay for a "Samsung NP900X Ultrabook" ~$200.

Skinny, lightweight, stylish. I have an i5 version and it is plenty fast enough to do any sort of student level work. I run some CAD on it although I'm designing machine assemblies on it, not aircraft.

Mine runs came with Win7, would run Win10 no sweat. I prefer to run Mint Linux KDE (free) on it except when I'm doing Solidworks in Windows. I upgraded the hard drive to a larger one after the factory hard drive died.

Maybe you can tell your college student that you'll kick in a limited amount of money for a computer and that they can come up with the balance if "keeping up with the Joneses" is important and you want to establish frugality as a notion.

You don't need a $1500 computer for college. That is just an expensive liability - stolen, dropped, spills, etc. No benefit to spending that much b/c the average student will not need the computing power.

Doesn't even need to be an Apple though I see the appeal. You can start out just fine with a $200 machine and handle it carefully. Mine looks good as new despite being 4-5 years old.

I have a second older business class laptop (Dell Latitude E-series, circa 2008, value ~$60) that is aging very well too. Definitely low on horsepower compared to a modern laptop but still Win 7 or Mint Linux (any Linux is fine), still can run office software, surf the web, emails, play music and movies, etc.

Avoid cheap discount store computers though. Flimsy construction promises they'll fall apart in a few short years. I'd rather have a used business class computer than the discount specials at the big box retailer. The business class machine is built with stronger materials rather than lots of plastic.

Thanks for the links to the Apple resellers everyone. DW is planning to get her Phd now and wants to upgrade her 2008? Macbook to something more recent.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 10:58:28 PM »
Given limited budget, would you rather:

1) buy something high-quality that is pre-owned
2) buy something lower-quality that is brand new

If you're buying a mattress, choose 2; for everything else, choose 1.

There are several advantages of a MacBook Air over a Lenovo or Toshiba laptop, and the biggest is that it runs OS X. Its a better operating system. This is coming from someone who used to work in IT and build PCs.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 01:49:08 AM »
I didn’t read everything...

I bought my MacBook Air refurbished thru Apple 4 years ago now?  Or is it five?  Still fast. Still easy.  Still has long battery life.  I do a lot of design and photo editing work.  Will never go back to windows for that.  I plan to keep using it until I can’t then sell it for a couple hundred for parts.

I bought it thru one of my rewards credit card shopping links for an additional 10% cash back and the credit card extended the apple care warranty by 2 years.  Of course, I haven’t had any issues or needed to use the warranty. I think it was Discover? Or Chase?   

I have a good case for it (Hard Candy).  I take care of it.  I don’t just toss it around or trust the built in sleeve in my bag or backpack.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 02:45:13 AM »
Brand Recognition is what it is with her!  So if there is at least away to teach her something , someone to save thats my goal.

*cough* You kinda walked yourself straight into this one, buddy, and you've technically already lost the battle without even knowing it.

From another of your threads just yesterday...
Researched all the details and where my oldest two are in college for coverage plus where we live and with the change over am saving now 116$ a month and have unlimited everything and Hulu. [snip] The new deal Sprint if offering turned out to be pretty good. [snip] So Sprint bought out the 3 JS5 phones we still had payments on and took care of every cost the other 3 were Apples I believe I-7s so we have backups . Basically US Cellular just generated a final bill and they paid it. We receive 6 brand new Iphone 8's and and my bill is just over 150$ plus we had only 13GB and now have Unlimited everything. [snip] I figure between the two I will still have plenty of usage but will save a minimum of 2400$ a year.
Ours has the phone payments in it so 30 something a phone and everything.

Translation: WE COMMITTED OURSELVES TO $4200+ WORTH OF NEW IPHONES ON A LEASE PAYMENT FOR THE ENTIRE FAMILY JUST TO SWITCH NETWORKS AND SAVE A FEW BUCKS ON PAPER DESPITE HAVING AT LEAST THREE MORE IPHONES THAT WE ALREADY SPENT AT LEAST $2000 ON THAT WE COULD HAVE STILL USED BUT ARE NOW ROTTING IN A DRAWER AS "SPARES" INSTEAD, AND CELEBRATED THIS CHANGE BY DOING BAD MATH ON OUR EXPENSES AND IGNORING THE $1000+ BILL THAT'LL COME DUE IN 18 MONTHS - ASSUMING WE DON'T BREAK ANYTHING AND/OR TRADE IN OUR PHONES BETWEEN THEN AND NOW KEEPING US IN THAT LEASE IN PERPETUITY! AWESOME! *throws confetti*

Perhaps the lesson should have started internally, first. After all, she's only following your lead.

yep, I am to blame there is no doubt about that getting caught up in trying to give my kids more than i had. But the other 3 kids have learned more from the other side of me since I have found MMM ways 4+ years back and  seem to get it and appreciate things more. Shes always been the stubborn one but I will say other than a few things like Apple and Nike she is pretty tight. She buys clothes at the thrift stores and she does not like to spend her money otherwise so we will see which side of her wins out. Point in case she received 100% full ride to college and I offered to give her a loan for another semester but what she didnt know was that I basically was going to cover it since I had in 529's ya da da and in the big picture of things being an out of State school this was less than 10% of the scholarship and basically I wrote up a very small interest rate loan that started 4 years after she would get out. I had no intention of making her pay if she did /accomplished certain things. She looked at me and said "Dad , I am not going in debt after all these years you told me to graduate from school with no debt" So shes taking care of it on her own through the school and getting extra money etc.... So like I said its a bit wishy washy plus she works 4 nights a week so theres that too.  Crossing my fingers!

shawndoggy

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 08:06:15 AM »
yep, I am to blame there is no doubt about that getting caught up in trying to give my kids more than i had. But the other 3 kids have learned more from the other side of me since I have found MMM ways 4+ years back and  seem to get it and appreciate things more. Shes always been the stubborn one but I will say other than a few things like Apple and Nike she is pretty tight. She buys clothes at the thrift stores and she does not like to spend her money otherwise so we will see which side of her wins out. Point in case she received 100% full ride to college and I offered to give her a loan for another semester but what she didnt know was that I basically was going to cover it since I had in 529's ya da da and in the big picture of things being an out of State school this was less than 10% of the scholarship and basically I wrote up a very small interest rate loan that started 4 years after she would get out. I had no intention of making her pay if she did /accomplished certain things. She looked at me and said "Dad , I am not going in debt after all these years you told me to graduate from school with no debt" So shes taking care of it on her own through the school and getting extra money etc.... So like I said its a bit wishy washy plus she works 4 nights a week so theres that too.  Crossing my fingers!

Sounds like her priorities are straight when the attraction/distraction/dependence of "being on the dole" isn't in play.  The tough part as a parent who has the ability to "provide" is to say no sometimes for the good of our children to be able to stand on their own and apply the good common sense that's in there.  Sounds like she's a hustler at heart and is going to be just fine... if you can stay strong.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 02:58:58 AM »

Sounds like her priorities are straight when the attraction/distraction/dependence of "being on the dole" isn't in play.  The tough part as a parent who has the ability to "provide" is to say no sometimes for the good of our children to be able to stand on their own and apply the good common sense that's in there.  Sounds like she's a hustler at heart and is going to be just fine... if you can stay strong.

oh yea! that is it in a nutshell but she also knows I am on to her because I call her out on it. Since our little talk she is picking up more hours. I know damn well she is going to come up with a way to buy at the very least a newer one maybe with her student ID and yesterday for the first time in a long time she deposited some paychecks in her account we have proxy to just in case need to help her move stuff around since shes out of state.  I feel like I am being hustled by all 4 of my kids everyday! some though are better than others and some understand the meaning of no and thats that.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2017, 03:47:49 AM »
So after all that, my daughter told me I was right and decided to buy a brand new Dell that was around 500$. Not sure what model or anything I was at the point of half listening and she is using her student discount but end of day she is getting new and saving quite a bit. Thanks all. One battle won!..many to go!