Author Topic: Looking back on 2016 / Looking forward to 2017  (Read 22796 times)

JimLahey

• Stubble
Re: Looking back on 2016 / Looking forward to 2017
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2016, 10:21:45 PM »
2016:

-Maxed IRA for the first time.
-Got engaged.
-Bought a house with said fiancee.
-One face punch worthy moment is spending more on an engagement ring than I had planned.
-Stayed within our budget on the house. Interest rate is 3.375%.
-Finacee paid off her student loans and her car.
-I'm down to one small student loan with a rate of 3.0%.
-Have been putting away around 40% of my income last time I checked.

-Continue to max out IRA.
-Possibly start paying an extra 10% toward the mortgage.
-Hopefully getting a nice increase in incentive pay in June.
-Need to get my ass in gear and work on my RN degree. That will be a nice income boost.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2016, 11:19:33 PM »
Good:  Continued more or less on track with savings.  Paid off final dregs of debt from when DW was on maternity leave.  DW got a Yuuuge raise, which has put things into gear for us in a lot of ways.
Also, we got a dog 2 days ago, which is awesome - I've wanted one since 'my' dog died when I was 17, which was 27 years ago.

Bad:  A few minor and major financial headwinds, one of which was unexpected and a real pain in the ass. 
Worst: One of my oldest friends was killed in a motorcycle crash when a moron with a 5th wheel decided to randomly make a u-turn on the highway right in front of him.  Event worst - my friend's 13 year old was on the back of the bike (thankfully he survived).

2017.  Good - continue on saving path.  Hopefully no awful bad stuff like the above.

Bumperpuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2016, 07:36:20 PM »
good:
-maxed out 401K and Roth IRA
- Added more than projected to taxable accounts
-Moved funds from higher cost brokerage to Vanguard
-cut my commute in half while also reducing total rent
-Began biking to work in the summer
-cut expenses by $3500, compared to 2015

Bad:
-higher than expected dental care costs
- gained about 15 pounds

goals
further cut expenses
Bike to work more and drive less
Get back into shape

Cottonswab

• Stubble
  • Occasional Advice Dispensary
    • My Journal
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2016, 04:53:47 AM »
2016:
FI

2017:
RE

More details can be found in my journal.

blizeH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2016, 08:09:13 AM »
^

Clickbait :p

Verdandi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2016, 07:33:38 AM »
2016 was quite challenging, but also exciting.
During the first half of 2016, I lost two beloved family members. My grand uncle and my grandmother left us after long illnesses and I miss them  a lot. I'm coping by thinking about how much they loved me since the day I was born and about how thankful I am for my family. That helps a lot, but still, they were wonderful people and just aren't there anymore.
With those losses came tremendous challenges at work. We are at the final stage of a huge structural reform, and while my position is not at stake, this comes with crazy responsibilities and every two to four months, my workplace changes. My colleagues are regularly crying at work, people get seriously ill, and the big bosses officially stated that our workload is not manageable with the amount of people we have left and that they made a planning mistake. Not that easy to deal with.
On the good side, I bought my second investment property, which we renovated over the past two months and that is now ready to be rented out. I'm really happy about it :-) it was in quite a bad condition and now it's a beauty. I love getting neglected places back into shape and seeing the results of our hard work!
Also, I was able to travel quite a bit with my partner. We went to Vietnam, France and Croatia this year, it was awesome :-)

I'm also looking forward to next year. The big challenge will be not to let pressure and stress at work get to me, but to take care of myself and stay calm. We are planning a trip to Israel in spring :-) other than that, I just joined Weightwatchers last week and already lost 4.5 pounds in one week. I'm planning on staying on the program for 6-9 months, as I have about 35 pounds to lose. At the moment, I'm confident it will work, and so looking forward to going to the lake in summer feeling great in swimwear (yes, that's girly, but what can I say, I'm a girl ^^). We are also looking for houses, so maybe there will be a move next year.
Financially, I'm happy about this years progress. Both of my properties have been increasing in value, and also my other investments have been progressing. I have two mini-mortgages, which have been reduced quite a bit this year. For next year, I plan on saving for a bigger property emergency fund (has been raided to fund the renovation), maybe buy another property if a good opportunity occurs, and other than that to save for a newer car. I hope my old little student car will have another 3 years, but don't want to risk having to tap into my emergency funds if I have to replace it earlier.
My other goals for next year are to finish my PhD thesis (finally) and to expand my side business. Quite a year ahead, let's rock and roll :-)

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2016, 08:37:43 AM »
@ Verdandi - I'm sorry to hear about your challenges in 2016. I am glad to hear you are looking forward to 2017 with renewed optimism. Rock and roll indeed :)

For me, I think I will lovingly look back on 2016 as the year I finally got my adult shit together.

THE GOOD
* Found MMM, Bogleheads, and read YMOYL and various investing books
* Maxed out both 401K accounts for the first time
* Maxed out both Roth IRA accounts for the first time
* Maxed out HSA account for the first time
* Biked over 600 miles commuting to work for the first time
* Sold one of our vehicles and invested the money
* Entered into a lease agreement for a hybrid, subsidized by SO's work (essentially a free hybrid for 3 years)
* Created an IPS and restructured all accounts into low cost index funds
* Set up a CD ladder E-fund to cover 6 months expenses
* Significantly reduced spending on gas, groceries, and excessive gift-giving
* Exceeded a 50% savings rate for the first time
* Reached 25% of retirement savings goal
* Obtained a graduate school certificate in organizational leadership through a program funded by my employer
* Successfully introduced early retirement concepts to the SO and he is now 100% on board
* Found out my cousin is an MMMer and now have an in-family "connection" to bounce ideas off of
* Started slowly mentioning early retirement to my parents to plant the seeds for future conversations, noting no negative reactions

THE BAD
* Still feeling the impacts of a car accident in 2015 on insurance rates - will go out for quotes in 2017
* Entered into a new 2 year plan with Verizon in early 2016 before finding MMM - will exit that plan in early 2018
* Paid for two major surgeries on our dog in 2016
* Awesome CFO at work retired. New CFO is very Dilbert-esque and is introducing major instability.

* Continue to max all retirement accounts and increase savings in personal accounts
* Target a 60%+ savings rate
* Target 40% of savings goal by end of 2017
* Continued focus on reducing grocery spend
* New focus on reducing restaurant and liquor spend
* Attempt to double bike commuting miles
* Upgrade credit cards to maximize cash back bonuses
* Invest in woodworking tools for DIY home improvements

Let's do this 2017!

Verdandi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2016, 11:01:18 AM »
@ Verdandi - I'm sorry to hear about your challenges in 2016. I am glad to hear you are looking forward to 2017 with renewed optimism. Rock and roll indeed :)

Thank you!

Your accomplishments really sound like you have your shit together, good for you!
For reducing your grocery spending, I highly recommend meal planning and shopping once a week with a shopping list. I started it 6 months ago, and at first, my SO laughed a bit and told me I was quite the housewife ;) Then I didn't do it for two weeks and the result was either an empty fridge and two hungry people at the supermarket at 8 pm or a bursting fridge and a lot of food waste. So he told me to continue mealplanning and freezer cooking, because otherwise we would starve.
Just curious, what is your total savings goal?

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2016, 01:57:44 PM »

We are shooting for $1M for the two of us (no kids), with a 4% SWR. The intent would be to use $200K of that to buy land and build an Earthship, and the other $800K to live comfortably around the $32K/year spending rate with no mortgage. We have a ways to go, but our improved trajectory in 2016 keeps me optimistic. We're hoping to be able to start making major life choices in the 2020/2021 time frame.

Thanks for the advice on the grocery spending. I'm also a new fan of budget bytes. That site has helped quite a bit.

Verdandi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2016, 02:49:43 AM »

We are shooting for $1M for the two of us (no kids), with a 4% SWR. The intent would be to use $200K of that to buy land and build an Earthship, and the other $800K to live comfortably around the $32K/year spending rate with no mortgage. We have a ways to go, but our improved trajectory in 2016 keeps me optimistic. We're hoping to be able to start making major life choices in the 2020/2021 time frame.

Thanks for the advice on the grocery spending. I'm also a new fan of budget bytes. That site has helped quite a bit.

Just had to google "earthship" :D sounds really cool!
That's an ambitious goal, good for you! 2020/2021 will arrive in no time, and you will rub your eyes then and wonder how it all came into place so quickly :) Budgetbytes is a great page, I take lots of our regular recipes from there. She has also very easy recipes for breads, and I started buying organic spelt flour to bake regularly and like the feeling of knowing there are no chemicals in my bread. There are also good recipes on http://www.kingarthurflour.com/ for more variety.
I found the best cure for restaurant spending is to improve your cooking skills. Some years ago, I sometimes went to Italian restaurants because I was bored and didn't want to cook. Now I just don't want to go anymore simply because I cook usually better at home (and it calms me after a stressful day at work). I wished for a set of a beautiful tablecloth and matching cloth napkins from my parents for christmas, so we can create the romantic restaurant feeling at home. Saves time, money, and your health considering how much fat there often is in the creamy, salty sauces. Now I also own a pasta machine, so we can prepare fresh pasta and also ravioli at home.
We also have authentic spice mixes from Indian food stores, grow fresh herbs and salads on the balcony and always some portioned cake or brownie in the freezer (for those I NEED CAKE NOW emergencies that strangely occur at midnight after a bottle of wine with friends ^^). It tastes usually better and does wonders for you savings rate.

weeblesim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2016, 02:37:31 AM »
2016:

I revisited the MMM site after briefly reading some articles a few years ago and started taking it seriously. Got my OH on board after showing them a few articles. We already had a SR of 41% and we were already pretty frugal. Now we both got 20% pay rises a few months ago and our SR is now around 57%. We remortgaged to a lower interest rate and started to invest in Vanguard.
We also done some projects around the house such as new kitchen counter-tops that have needed a replacement since we bought the house 3 years ago. We fitted them ourselves!

2017:
Continue to invest and to overpay the mortgage. Try and cut down on DIY projects around the house, I can get quite addicted!