Author Topic: Life is awesome!!! Here is why...  (Read 15292 times)

jordanread

Life is awesome!!! Here is why...
« on: February 14, 2014, 10:05:41 AM »
Give this a shot. Reading through the Stoic Joy book, I loved the idea of slowing down hedonic adaptation. I'm doing this a few times a day and it makes me ridiculously happy.
  • Take a look around you.
  • Pick something or someone that you can see.
  • Close your eyes.
  • What would life be like if it/they weren't there.
  • Open your eyes.
  • It/They are still there!!
LIFE IS AWESOME!!

jordanread

Re: Life is awesome!!! Here is why...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 10:09:14 AM »
1. Contigo coffee cup that is autoclosing.
2. Without it, I would probably have a mug. My coffee would cool down faster, and I would have less numbers of the perfect hot cup of coffee. I would probably spill a bit more and my carpet would need cleaning more often.

Now I took a sip of my delicious hot coffee.

Life is awesome.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 11:34:36 AM »
2. Without it, I would probably have a mug. My coffee would cool down faster, and I would have less numbers of the perfect hot cup of coffee. I would probably spill a bit more and my carpet would need cleaning more often.

Life is awesome.

This made me lol.  Love it.

jordanread

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 11:51:36 AM »

Life is awesome.

I was going to go with something a bit more in-depth, but I followed my own instructions, and the coffee cup just jumped out at me. Then I realized that even the small things (maybe even especially the small things) make life great, and I have no desire to take anything that makes life awesome for granted.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 11:56:31 AM by jordanread »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 11:55:09 AM »
Give this a shot. Reading through the Stoic Joy book, I loved the idea of slowing down hedonic adaptation. I'm doing this a few times a day and it makes me ridiculously happy.
  • Close your eyes.
  • Open your eyes.
LIFE IS AWESOME!!

I keep looking at my boss from my cubicle and closing my eyes, but each time I open them (no matter how hard I wish) he's still here.  This is not awesome.

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 11:55:47 AM »
Fun. I just sent up a recurring event on my calendar to remind myself that life was awesome.

jordanread

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 11:59:00 AM »
  • Close your eyes.
  • Open your eyes.
LIFE IS AWESOME!!

I keep looking at my boss from my cubicle and closing my eyes, but each time I open them (no matter how hard I wish) he's still here.  This is not awesome.
If he wasn't there, he could be on your lap...now open your eyes and he's back over there.
Awesome.
You're welcome.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 12:08:58 PM »
bahahaha you guys are making me laugh out loud!

I just looked straight out the kitchen window to the tiny park next door. if it wasn't there, our house would be right on a busy street, which would be annoying. but BAM, instead of that we get a buffer of basically an extra yard since no one uses this tiny park other than the occasional homeless person!

Life is so awesome!

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 12:09:46 PM »
Do you mean like Darrell Scott?    It's a Great Day to be Alive !!!

It's a great day to be alive
The sun's still shinin'
When I close my eyes

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 12:11:10 PM »
  • Close your eyes.
  • Open your eyes.
LIFE IS AWESOME!!

If he wasn't there, he could be on your lap...now open your eyes and he's back over there.
Awesome.
You're welcome.

If he was on my lap I could sue for sexual harassment and retire on the proceeds!  YOU'VE JUST MADE IT WORSE!

jordanread

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 12:14:37 PM »
If he was on my lap I could sue for sexual harassment and retire on the proceeds!  YOU'VE JUST MADE IT WORSE!
ROFL. With that line of thinking though, I'd be pissed about my aforementioned cup keeping my coffee hot, since I just sprayed some out of my nose reading that comment (it burned).

MamaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 12:17:50 PM »
Close your eyes and imagine you are blind.     Then open your eyes, you are not blind!   Life is awesome!    Love this thread as I am someone who likes to stop and think about these kind of things.   Thanks Jordanread for this awesome excersize.

I apologize to anyone I might have offended with the blind comment.  I have a friend with severly reduced vision and am mindful and thankful for having my sight.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 12:23:18 PM »
I understand appreciating what you have, but couldn't life still be awesome if you didn't have these things?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 12:26:38 PM »
I closed my eyes and imagined I did not have a computer or the internet right at my fingertips.

I opened my eyes, and there you all are! The lovely MMM community with all these rad ideas :) and helping me remember that:

LIFE IS AWESOME

jordanread

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 12:27:43 PM »
I understand appreciating what you have, but couldn't life still be awesome if you didn't have these things?
Absolutely. This is just an exercise about slowing down the hedonic adaptation. A bit later, I'll do something regarding voluntary discomfort. Life is awesome right now!!

crumbcatcher

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 03:54:09 PM »
I love this thread.

Looking around me, I see a desperately messy desk.

Closed my eyes and imagined what I'd do if I didn't have a job to earn money toward FI.

Opened my eyes and my messy desk was still there.

LIFE IS AWESOME!

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 09:14:12 PM »
A hundred years ago, there were many people living on farms in scenic areas and enjoying the simple life. Today we can also choose to live the simple life, but with modern health services, electric power, and the internet, and preferably in a scenic area. Modern products are impressive, but you do need to be choosy about what products you really need. That is what MMM is all about.

Sohcrates

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 09:22:50 PM »
  • Close your eyes.
  • Open your eyes.
LIFE IS AWESOME!!

Awesome.
You're welcome.

That reply was awesome hahaha

jordanread

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 01:01:34 PM »
A hundred years ago, there were many people living on farms in scenic areas and enjoying the simple life. Today we can also choose to live the simple life, but with modern health services, electric power, and the internet, and preferably in a scenic area. Modern products are impressive, but you do need to be choosy about what products you really need. That is what MMM is all about.
The point I was trying to make was more along the lines of not taking what we already have for granted. Sometimes, I'll find that life is better when I visualize life without it. Here is an example I ran into last night (bear in mind I mostly knew this, but my awareness of this got pushed to the wayside since I've moved in with my GF who is a TV junkie).

1. Nothing was on TV, and we started going through Netflix to find something to watch, since that is what we do together on Saturday nights.
2. I looked at the useless television.
3. I hated the idea of watching something just for the sake of watching. I closed my eyes and imagined if I could actually get her to cut the cord, and what we would do.
4. We would discuss what we could do if TV wasn't an option. We'd discuss our week, clean up the kitchen together, or do something that I hadn't thought of.
5. I opened my eyes, and the TV was still useless. The girlfriend was still looking for something to watch.
6. I told her that I didn't feel like watching TV just for the sake of watching TV. We turned off the TV, and talked about what we should do. We cleaned up the kitchen together, cracking jokes and laughing. When we finished, we sat back down on the couch, and she asked what books I have read, and if I wanted to read to her (which we do occasionally while camping). We went through my library, picked a book, and I started reading it to her.

It was a great time, and spurred some great conversation. The night ended with me giving her a back rub, and going to sleep earlier than usual, and sleeping great.

LIFE IS AWESOME!!!

p.s. I know I need to convince her to cut the cord, and I am working on it. I punch myself in the face often enough, but feel free to send them my way if you feel the need. :-)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 01:22:26 PM »
6. I told her that I didn't feel like watching TV just for the sake of watching TV. We turned off the TV, and talked about what we should do. We cleaned up the kitchen together, cracking jokes and laughing. When we finished, we sat back down on the couch, and she asked what books I have read, and if I wanted to read to her (which we do occasionally while camping). We went through my library, picked a book, and I started reading it to her.

Fuck yeah communication! Nice work letting her know how you feel instead of sitting there being a grump about it

jordanread

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 01:30:15 PM »

Fuck yeah communication! Nice work letting her know how you feel instead of sitting there being a grump about it
In all honesty, I went further down the grump-ass path then I liked, but I got out of it as soon as I was aware.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 01:31:57 PM »
hey that's all that matters!

loki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 09:20:23 PM »
I like the idea of this thread. Did it with my wife for a second, and was so grateful to see her again.

pac_NW

• Stubble
  • Have the stamina to work on it until it's right
    • Take Next Steps
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 08:31:35 AM »
I emailed myself this and set it to boomerang it to my inbox every week as a reminder.  Love it.  What a great piece of joy!

jordanread

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 12:43:18 PM »
I took this negative visualization a step further a few weeks ago, and did a 30 day challenge in which, instead of visualizing this stuff being gone, I actually removed it from my life for 30 days.  I only drank water. No tea, no coffee, no alcohol, no soda. Sometimes (like the above post regarding TV), negative visualization will have effect of realizing that life without said thing/person/vice is actually pretty awesome.

Challenge Complete
It has now been 30 days since I've had anything to drink besides water. I' in the process of writing a blog post about the entire experience, but I'll break it down real quick here.

Health
I have been able to stay asleep much better, and the quality of sleep is definitely higher. While mornings without coffee aren't very fun, my mouth feels cleaner throughout the day. Caffeine definitely has a more pronounced effect, which means I should be able to limit myself to 2-3 cups of coffee a day, now that I can tell what it's doing. Without copious amounts of alcohol, I did find it harder to get to sleep, which sucked, but that was because I was actually sleeping, and not just passing out.

Money
If it wasn't for this challenge, I'd definitely not be able to succeed with the challenge from Frugal FIRE, so the impact to my bottom line was definitely a positive one, due entirely to a lack of drinking alcohol. I still may not get my savings rate up by a full 2%, but I should still be able to improve it. I did restart Convict Conditioning body-weight training in earnest this week, so that was an overall positive net benefit too.

Take aways
While I don't think this is a full time thing by a long shot, I think it was a fun and challenging experience. I doubt I'll go back to drinking as much as I was, and I have managed to get into the mode of reaching for water instead of anything else when I'm thirsty.

What's next?
The other 'ine' on the table, mainly nicotine. I will be starting my 30 day challenge of no cigarettes later today. I haven't quite figured out a way to word it so it's a positive (meaning doing something instead of not doing something), but I will get it figured out.

This cup of coffee was one of the best I've ever had, and it's just your basic cup of Bullet Proof coffee. I don't think that I'll be able to take coffee for granted anymore. Booze, you aren't that helpful anyway, so you don't have nearly a big part of my life that you did before.

Life is awesome!!

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2014, 01:30:29 PM »
Fred Phelps is still gone when I open my eyes, and that's awesome.

Entirely related, something I've been telling myself lately when I'm having first/second world problems is that I have access to so much clean water that I poop in it. That is luxurious to excess..

jordanread

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 01:31:47 PM »
Fred Phelps is still gone when I open my eyes, and that's awesome.

Entirely related, something I've been telling myself lately when I'm having first/second world problems is that I have access to so much clean water that I poop in it. That is luxurious to excess..
Actually spit my coffee out reading that. Outstanding.

RNwastash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2014, 10:34:40 PM »
You guys totally make me laugh!! You guys are ALL AWESOME :)

fixer-upper

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2014, 11:05:14 PM »
Take a look around you - Messy house
Pick something or someone that you can see - The mess
Close your eyes - It's a good thing I type by touch
What would life be like if it/they weren't there - Wow, the mess is gone!
Open your eyes - Damn, the mess came back

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2014, 11:51:02 PM »
So I've been trying something similar...

When I find myself coveting a new pair of footwear (my addiction!), I close my eyes and pretend I own the pair of boots that caught my eye. I then fast forward a few months, and imagine being used to owning the boots. They have joined my piles of stuff and are no longer new. The novelty is gone... And so is the aching desire to buy them.

Then I open my eyes, and try to hang onto that last feeling: the part where temptation had been satisfied and then quickly adapted to.

Huzzah! :)

Fitzy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2014, 12:12:42 AM »
This thread deserves a

jordanread

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2014, 07:35:01 PM »
So I've been trying something similar...

When I find myself coveting a new pair of footwear (my addiction!), I close my eyes and pretend I own the pair of boots that caught my eye. I then fast forward a few months, and imagine being used to owning the boots. They have joined my piles of stuff and are no longer new. The novelty is gone... And so is the aching desire to buy them.

Then I open my eyes, and try to hang onto that last feeling: the part where temptation had been satisfied and then quickly adapted to.

Huzzah! :)

Way to go. I actually adapted this from the Negative Visualization aspect of stoicism. One major use of Negative Visualization is to understand that what you have is pretty awesome, and stuff is fleeting. That's more like what you did there, so good job staying off the Hedonic Treadmill. Now, if only I could get my GF to understand the thing about shoes...

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 09:00:44 AM »
I still love this thread!!! And the pooping in clean water thing made me laugh and is so true.

jordanread, maybe you could phrase the cigarette challenge as "only getting to breathe clean, tar- and nicotine-free air for 30 days"?? :) mmmm... take a deep breath... enjoy it! that air is delicious and life-giving!

jordanread

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 10:07:13 AM »
I still love this thread!!! And the pooping in clean water thing made me laugh and is so true.

jordanread, maybe you could phrase the cigarette challenge as "only getting to breathe clean, tar- and nicotine-free air for 30 days"?? :) mmmm... take a deep breath... enjoy it! that air is delicious and life-giving!
Yeah, I'm thinking of something along those lines, but might take it a bit further. Something along the lines of only consuming/ingesting things that are a benefit. If something is detrimental, or doesn't help, don't do it. While cigarettes are the obvious thing, I might be surprised at what else I find...especially considering that I snack during withdrawals.

Thank you for the suggestion!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2014, 10:21:43 AM »
What's next?
The other 'ine' on the table, mainly nicotine. I will be starting my 30 day challenge of no cigarettes later today. I haven't quite figured out a way to word it so it's a positive (meaning doing something instead of not doing something), but I will get it figured out.

Good luck!  I kept a list like this on my fridge when I quit.  (I'm at 11 years now)  These are the positives:
Within ...
20 minutes
Your blood pressure, pulse rate and the temperature of your hands and feet have returned to normal.

8 hours
Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream has fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.75% reduction.

12 hours
Your blood oxygen level has increased to normal. Carbon monoxide levels have dropped to normal.

24 hours
Anxieties have peaked in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels.

48 hours
Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability will have peaked.

72 hours
Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine.  Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day have peaked for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and your lung's functional abilities are starting to increase.

5 - 8 days
The "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them.

10 days
10 days - The "average" ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.

10 days to 2 weeks
Recovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in your gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user.

2 to 4 weeks
Cessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression have ended. If still experiencing any of these symptoms get seen and evaluated by your physician.

21 days
The number of acetylcholine receptors, which were up-regulated in response to nicotine's presence in the frontal, parietal, temporal, occipital, basal ganglia, thalamus, brain stem, and cerebellum regions of the brain, have now substantially down-regulated, and receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non-smokers (2007 study).

2 weeks to 3 months
Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.

3 weeks to 3 months
Your circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared. If not, get seen by a doctor, and sooner if at all concerned, as a chronic cough can be a sign of lung cancer.

8 weeks
Insulin resistance in smokers has normalized despite average weight gain of 2.7 kg (2010 SGR, page 384).

1 to 9 months
Any smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath has decreased. Cilia have regrown in your lungs, thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep your lungs clean and reduce infections. Your body's overall energy has increased.

1 year
Your excess risk of coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke has dropped to less than half that of a smoker.

5 years
Your risk of a subarachnoid haemorrhage has declined to 59% of your risk while still smoking (2012 study). If a female ex-smoker, your risk of developing diabetes is now that of a non-smoker (2001 study).

5 to 15 years
Your risk of stroke has declined to that of a non-smoker.

10 years
Your risk of being diagnosed with lung cancer is between 30% and 50% of that for a continuing smoker (2005 study). Risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day).  Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus and pancreas have declined. Risk of developing diabetes for both men and women is now similar to that of a never-smoker (2001 study).

13 years
The average smoker who is able to live to age 75 has 5.8 fewer teeth than a non-smoker (1998 study). But by year 13 after quitting, your risk of smoking induced tooth loss has declined to that of a never-smoker (2006 study).

15 years
Your risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a person who has never smoked. Your risk of pancreatic cancer has declined to that of a never-smoker (2011 study - but note 2nd pancreatic study making identical finding at 20 years).

20 years
Female excess risk of death from all smoking related causes, including lung disease and cancer, has now reduced to that of a never-smoker (2008 study). Risk of pancreatic cancer has declined to that of a never-smoker (2011 study).

jordanread

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2014, 12:09:38 PM »
Good luck!  I kept a list like this on my fridge when I quit.  (I'm at 11 years now)  [...]
Thanks for that. I actually found a free app called Cessation Nation that shows real time stats once you quit. It's got little charts and stuff to show progress, with a widget you can put on your home screen. I didn't realize that the cravings only last 3 minutes. They have some stupid little games you can play until it runs it's course, keep your mind off of it and all that.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2014, 11:56:07 AM »
Good luck!  I kept a list like this on my fridge when I quit.  (I'm at 11 years now)  [...]
Thanks for that. I actually found a free app called Cessation Nation that shows real time stats once you quit. It's got little charts and stuff to show progress, with a widget you can put on your home screen. I didn't realize that the cravings only last 3 minutes. They have some stupid little games you can play until it runs it's course, keep your mind off of it and all that.

Yesterday, it suddenly struck me how much healthier we would all be if we treated ourselves as if we were someone's loved one.  You know how irritated you get when you see a loved one doing things that will kill them faster, such as not exercising, eating to the point of obesity, and smoking?  Treat yourself the way you want your loved ones to treat themselves, as if you're one of the most important people in someone else's life.  Because you are.  Just by living longer and healthier, you can make your loved ones happier because they don't have to worry about you dying young from preventable causes.  (All this is aside from your own happiness by living a longer, fuller, healthier life.)

I'm hoping this realization helps me from falling into the "mommy trap" of putting everyone else first and ignoring my own needs.  In fact, I did use it last night to do some yoga and take care of the backache I've had for the last few days.

Baby slept without me needing to hold her and I got a chance to do something for me.  Life is awesome.

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2014, 02:04:34 PM »

If you throw the gauntlet, I will join you. There, I said it. Then we can't post about how much it really sucks and that some pink-lunged ignoramus made up the 3 minute widgets.

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2014, 07:32:17 PM »
Sitting in my comfortable fabric recliner, leaning back with my feet up, on the computer, listening to some of my favorite music and eating snacks.
And getting paid $14/hour for tutoring kids in math online while browsing MMM (& other forums) in the background.

Yes, life is awesome.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2014, 10:53:22 AM »
I want to close my eyes and be grateful that my husband is back home after having been gone to Asia for a month. However, since he is still in bed at almost 10:00 in the morning, I don't technically see him when I open my eyes. :)

Not that it makes me any less grateful that he is home. Now we just have to kick that jet-lag thing....

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2014, 05:54:27 PM »
I have never owned a printer until the last few months, it sure has made my life easier, for many reason Life is Awesome, at this moment I choose to be thankful for the printer.

I love the tone of this thread, funny and positive at the same time.