Author Topic: Ladies, can we talk makeup/products?  (Read 42827 times)

lpep

• Bristles
    • My MMM journal
Re: Ladies, can we talk makeup/products?
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2015, 03:30:33 AM »
Fun thread!

I've started using a mixture of used coffee grounds and a little grapeseed oil to wash my face, and it's FANTASTIC. I have semi-dry skin and live in a very polluted city, so exfoliating while not drying out my skin was tough, and this is PERFECT. I thought the coffee would be harsh, but it's pretty gentle. No need for moisturizer afterwards, of course.

If you don't have dry skin, just use the coffee grounds--there's a bit of oil in coffee naturally that should be just enough to moisturize after the grounds gently exfoliate.

The only downside is getting coffee all over the sink.... so I use it in the shower!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2015, 07:41:27 AM »
What face powder do you use?
So...funny story. My friend's husband manages large commercial construction and was overseeing the building of a hotel. Some uber fancy spa thing went into the hotel, then failed to pay their rent or broke their lease or something. So my friend's husband locked their doors and cleared out their inventory, which was very high end make-up. He brought it home to his wife, and she passed along the "extra pale" shade of face powder to me. So I've been using this free fancy face powder. It's called Jane Iredale. It really is lovely. Good for sensitive skin, but I don't know if I will buy more when it runs out.

Apparently corn starch tinted with cocoa to your skin tone can be a nice natural powder, http://www.chantillysongs.com/2013/02/diy-cornstarch-as-face-powder.html

Flying Penguin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2015, 09:47:21 AM »
I think a good mascara is key. I use a gawd-awful expensive one called Blinc because my eyes are very sensitive and every other brand is highly irritating.

A cheaper alternative to Blinc mascara (which is "tube technology" mascara) is Loreal's Double Extend. That one has a primer on one side and the mascara on the other (I skip the primer though). I was researching tube technology mascaras, and that one has really high reviews (and is cheap!). I've been using it for a few weeks and I love how easy it is to take off. You can wet a paper towel and then press it up to your eyelashes for ~15 seconds, and then just slide the mascara off.

I'm in the market for a face powder too. I've recently resolved to start wearing sunscreen all the time. It leaves my skin looking shiny though, even after I blot. :(

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2015, 10:15:37 AM »
What face powder do you use?
So...funny story. My friend's husband manages large commercial construction and was overseeing the building of a hotel. Some uber fancy spa thing went into the hotel, then failed to pay their rent or broke their lease or something. So my friend's husband locked their doors and cleared out their inventory, which was very high end make-up. He brought it home to his wife, and she passed along the "extra pale" shade of face powder to me. So I've been using this free fancy face powder. It's called Jane Iredale. It really is lovely. Good for sensitive skin, but I don't know if I will buy more when it runs out.

Okay - you get points for most unusual way of acquiring make-up! Loved the story...

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2015, 12:45:53 PM »
Apparently corn starch tinted with cocoa to your skin tone can be a nice natural powder, http://www.chantillysongs.com/2013/02/diy-cornstarch-as-face-powder.html

I shall now spend the next 27 hours obsessively trying all possible DIY face powders. Mind. Blown. Thank you!

sunshine

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2015, 01:46:08 PM »
Has anyone here successfully removed milia from the delicate eye region, at home without seeing a dermatologist/aesthestician?  I've been applying coconut oil but it feels disgusting having oil so close to my eyelashes.  I would appreciate any tips!

Mine went away after I started using Philosophy peel pads.  I use their cleanse and lotion but the difference that did it was the once a week peel pads. I have ' very sensitive skin and I will not go back to cheaper products that burn or turn me cherry red. I do buy the biggest size for a per ounce savings.

I also only use professional  hair care. I'm a licensed stylist though so it is all at cost. I really stock up when they change packaging and sell at 75 percent off the wholesale  price.

I'll do lots of things to save $ but skin care isn't on that list.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 01:53:24 PM by sunshine »

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2015, 07:52:29 AM »
My favorite face powder/foundation is the Physician's Formula Mineral Wear. I started wearing it almost 6 years ago. The best part is that CVS semi-regularly has deals like spend $15 on PF, get $10 in Extra Care Bucks back, so I get it for close to free. It doesn't clog my pores, it lasts pretty well (although I use a tone correcting green primer under it and that makes it last way better) and I feel pretty good about putting it on my skin. People with more money than me have told me it's comparable to Bare Minerals, but that's never been in my budget so I wouldn't know for sure!

MustachianKentuckian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2015, 09:54:25 AM »
I know there's lots of discussion here about scaling back and using less or no makeup...which are all great suggestions and I myself am inspired to revisit my makeup routine.  But, like the OP I pretty much use the same makeup routine with drug store brands.  One way I have saved money is to watch all the drug store ads.  Some drug store is almost always running a buy one get one free, or buy one get one 50% off. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2015, 11:10:02 AM »
I don't wear makeup at all, so I can't help you there.  (I don't think it is unprofessional at all. Not a single man in the office wears makeup, including the exceptionally fair ones, so why should I?)

I have extremely curly hair, and when it is long, I keep it in a bun daily. It is just easier that way. I will wear it down on weekends.  I wash it once a week.. I put it in a high ponytail (some people call it "pineapple" if you read curly hair blogs) to sleep, then create a new bun each morning. Takes 2 minutes tops. 

When my hair is short, I wash it at night (so it has time to dry) but spray it with a bit of water in the morning to tame it a bit and apply gel. I use cheapo walmart gel and it works just fine. 

I don't own a blow dryer, straightener, etc.

My routine is such that I can wake up at 6:15, shower, dress, and be out of the house by 6:45.

latetotheparty1977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2015, 01:05:44 PM »
Any opinions on the best hair dyes?
I am a recent Mustachian convert, and up until now have had my hair done (roots retouched, cut) in a salon. I'd like to try a box version, if there's a really good one.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2015, 01:18:23 PM »
I am a recent Mustachian convert, and up until now have had my hair done (roots retouched, cut) in a salon. I'd like to try a box version, if there's a really good one.

I'd like to know that, as well.  I've been lucky that at 48, I only have a few gray hairs here and there, but I don't want to give in to gray quite yet, so I'm anticipating that at some point I'll want to start dying it.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2015, 01:20:45 PM »
I don't often color my hair, but when I do, powdered henna is my "go to".  Moved to a hick town so have to get it on Amazon any more but it works beautifully for modest gray coverage and conditioning.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2015, 02:59:28 PM »
I don't often color my hair, but when I do, powdered henna is my "go to".  Moved to a hick town so have to get it on Amazon any more but it works beautifully for modest gray coverage and conditioning.

I just love the Lush Henna that comes in a block. On my thin, fine hair, I can get by with only 1/3 of it each time and it makes my hair feel so healthy. My hair likes to turn blonde in direct sun so I color it in October and again once or twice more April, but leave it natural the other half of the year.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2015, 09:39:13 AM »

Be careful though. I'm blonde (or I should say, I WAS blonde). I didn't do my research enough... what I saw online said it would eventually fade and go away. I used a really nice pure botanical henna, lab tested for purity, etc. Maybe the crappy stuff fades, I don't know. But it's been over a year and a half and my henna is going strong.

This sucks for a couple reasons. 1- you cannot dye over henna, or risk discoloration and/or breakage. A lot of salons won't even try, since it violates their coverage I guess (I went to 3 high end salons up here, and also an Aveda school- Aveda would have been willing to try, but they warned me against it and I would have had to sign a ton of waivers). 2- you cannot bleach over henna, for the same reasons mentioned

I read a quote recently, "you don't flirt with henna, you marry it". Very true in my experience. I'm now going to be a redhead a my wedding.

Obviously this is different if you have dark hair and are using henna or indigo (note- indigo is a totally different plant, so read up on the fading pattern of the two plants before you do a 'henna-indigo blend'- it may look balanced at first but the indigo may fade first, leaving you with a brassy look). That being said, indigo is supposed to be pretty good at covering greys.

I've achieved some lightening using honey lightening (some peroxide action, but very mild), hot oil treatments, and yogurt and lemon juice hair masks.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2015, 09:51:23 AM »
So sorry, should have clarified that I have slightly wavy dark brown hair....for hair like mine, Henna works beautifully. 

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2015, 10:10:05 AM »

I'd like to know that, as well.  I've been lucky that at 48, I only have a few gray hairs here and there, but I don't want to give in to gray quite yet, so I'm anticipating that at some point I'll want to start dying it.

I'm 34 and getting quite a few grey hairs, and I've already decided I'm leaving them alone, no hair color. I reserve the right to change my mind, but my mom's head of silver hair at 65 is pretty badass, so I'm hoping mine does the same.

EAL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Mindful Money
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2015, 10:23:02 AM »
Mascara. That's it. That's all I know how to do.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2015, 10:23:57 AM »
So sorry, should have clarified that I have slightly wavy dark brown hair....for hair like mine, Henna works beautifully.

To be fair, henna conditioned my hair wonderfully =D (I also have wavy/curly hair)

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2015, 10:31:29 AM »
I don't plan on giving up my makeup anytime soon.  I don't wear a ton of it or wear it every day so it does last me a long time. 

I'm in the process of simplifying as much as possible.  I used to have a TON of little makeup pots but I'm working on using them all up and clearing out. 

I was using Bare Escentuals but the idea of breathing in all those little dust particles freak me out, especially since my never-smoked mother was diagnosed with lung cancer.

I'm making the switch to Tarlette.  I like their foundation (light coverage), their eye (eye shadow, brow filler, eye liner) and cheek palette, and mascara.  With only these 3 items I'm good to go.

I was using Philosophy on my skin but recently found out they are owned by Coty which does animal testing, so I'm looking for something else now.  I'm thinking about going back to making my own honey face wash. I did it a while ago (found the recipe on here) but got out of the habit.

I'm a sucker for scented body lotion and most people know it, so I usually get lotion as presents and those will last about a year.

I don't use a lot of shampoo and conditioner since I wash my hair about once a week (yes even with working out).  Since cutting back on shampoo, my hair is way less frizzy and the natural color looks brighter.  I don't color my hair, although I secretly long to have bright red or pink hair again. 

MustachianKentuckian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2015, 10:58:10 AM »
I started coloring my hair when grays began appearing in my 20's.  I'm 39 now. MMM blog has inspired me to quit paying a ridiculous amount of money to color my hair every 6 weeks!  I'm embracing it, and have started growing out the gray. My hair is dark brown, so its fairly obvious to grow it out...i'm maybe 25% gray.  I did add a few light brown highlights to help transition.  So far, so good!

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2015, 12:08:38 PM »
I started coloring my hair when grays began appearing in my 20's.  I'm 39 now. MMM blog has inspired me to quit paying a ridiculous amount of money to color my hair every 6 weeks!  I'm embracing it, and have started growing out the gray. My hair is dark brown, so its fairly obvious to grow it out...i'm maybe 25% gray.  I did add a few light brown highlights to help transition.  So far, so good!

I have a friend that is 26 years old, has beautiful long dark hair, and has many grey streaks throughout. I think her greys look positively elegant - I'm jealous of them.

MustachianKentuckian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2015, 12:17:01 PM »

I have a friend that is 26 years old, has beautiful long dark hair, and has many grey streaks throughout. I think her greys look positively elegant - I'm jealous of them.

Yes!  Someone my husband works with is the same way.  Its long and probably 95% gray.  She is late twenties/early thirties.  It's gorgeous!  Once I got the inspiration from saving the money on the coloring for this blog, she is my motivation to keep at, in hopes that it will look good even if there is quite a bit of gray!

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2015, 01:21:22 PM »

Yes!  Someone my husband works with is the same way.  Its long and probably 95% gray.  She is late twenties/early thirties.  It's gorgeous!  Once I got the inspiration from saving the money on the coloring for this blog, she is my motivation to keep at, in hopes that it will look good even if there is quite a bit of gray!

All gray hair is very "on trend".  People are paying good money to dye their hair gray right now.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2015, 02:16:34 PM »

All gray hair is very "on trend".  People are paying good money to dye their hair gray right now.

Yes, absolutely! Grey is "in" and even if it weren't, I still like it. If you're trying to transition from full hair color to grey, I highly recommend "low lighting." My mom did this at a salon twice (I think 8 months apart) as she grew out her dark hair color and let it go natural (at that point, I think her hair was about 50% grey). Low-lighting is very different from highlights, and it looked extremely elegant as she grew it out. People literally thought she'd a face lift when she got low-lights, that's how good she looked. :)

sunshine

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2015, 06:15:07 PM »
Has anyone here successfully removed milia from the delicate eye region, at home without seeing a dermatologist/aesthestician?  I've been applying coconut oil but it feels disgusting having oil so close to my eyelashes.  I would appreciate any tips!

Mine went away after I started using Philosophy peel pads.  I use their cleanse and lotion but the difference that did it was the once a week peel pads. I have ' very sensitive skin and I will not go back to cheaper products that burn or turn me cherry red. I do buy the biggest size for a per ounce savings.

I also only use professional  hair care. I'm a licensed stylist though so it is all at cost. I really stock up when they change packaging and sell at 75 percent off the wholesale  price.

I'll do lots of things to save $ but skin care isn't on that list.
I completely agree.  However, have you checked out Paula's Choice?  The products have gotten more expensive in the past few years, but I've had excellent luck with her products.  I use a daily moisturizer with a physical sunblock (allergic to chemical sunscreens), a retinol night cream, and liquid BHA exfoliant.  I prefer Cetaphil cleanser with a Clairsonic for washing my face.

I have never head of that brand. Is it good for sensitive skin?

lpep

• Bristles
    • My MMM journal
« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2015, 01:33:12 AM »
Dyeing hair with henna is a thing, AND you can dye your hair red?!?! Oh man... I was a box hair dye redhead for years as a teen and I LOVED it, but I stopped in college because it made my hair like straw and a full-head application every six weeks got old.

Is henna dyeing really actually good for your hair and relatively easy to keep up?! This is blowing my mind.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2015, 08:13:49 AM »
Dyeing hair with henna is a thing, AND you can dye your hair red?!?! Oh man... I was a box hair dye redhead for years as a teen and I LOVED it, but I stopped in college because it made my hair like straw and a full-head application every six weeks got old.

Is henna dyeing really actually good for your hair and relatively easy to keep up?! This is blowing my mind.

Henna is incredibly conditioning. You can only use henna to color if your hair is lighter than the henna; nothing without bleaching or peroxide properties can make your hair lighter. The only options for henna are darken or redden. If you're a blonde, it will absolutely dye your hair. If you have darker hair, it can add red highlights/red sheen, but won't change base color.

This is the most useful website I have EVER found for henna: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21
Crunchy Betty also has a pretty accessible guide: http://www.crunchybetty.com/the-fine-art-of-dying-your-hair-with-henna

You know how models have that thick, silky, frizz-less hair that still curls? Yeah, henna conditions so well that that happened for me. Just be sure to pay attention to what brand and source of henna you get. Contaminated stuff can have heavy metals, which = cancer risk, and can result in brassier/more orange color.

Be sure you like the color of henna. It won't give you a magenta type red like it popular right now. It's a pretty specific color, but it looks pretty natural. People I've met the past couple years are SHOCKED that I'm not a natural redhead. I had one girl argue with me so much I had to find an old picture and prove it to her.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2015, 09:48:08 AM »
You all are convincing me to stop coloring my hair - I hate how unnatural the color is anyway - my hair does not take coloring very well despite having it done at a salon. I have a little gray near my roots, but I don't want to be a slave to it all my life. Definitely not worthwhile to shell out as much as I do, especially if we are looking at me quitting my job soon.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2015, 01:57:16 PM »

Henna is incredibly conditioning. You can only use henna to color if your hair is lighter than the henna; nothing without bleaching or peroxide properties can make your hair lighter. The only options for henna are darken or redden. If you're a blonde, it will absolutely dye your hair. If you have darker hair, it can add red highlights/red sheen, but won't change base color.

This is the most useful website I have EVER found for henna: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21
Crunchy Betty also has a pretty accessible guide: http://www.crunchybetty.com/the-fine-art-of-dying-your-hair-with-henna

You know how models have that thick, silky, frizz-less hair that still curls? Yeah, henna conditions so well that that happened for me. Just be sure to pay attention to what brand and source of henna you get. Contaminated stuff can have heavy metals, which = cancer risk, and can result in brassier/more orange color.

Be sure you like the color of henna. It won't give you a magenta type red like it popular right now. It's a pretty specific color, but it looks pretty natural. People I've met the past couple years are SHOCKED that I'm not a natural redhead. I had one girl argue with me so much I had to find an old picture and prove it to her.

Also, if you're intimidated by doing the henna yourself, I've heard they'll do it for you for free at Lush if you go during the day on a weekday & bring your own supplies. I LOVE henna.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2015, 09:17:46 PM »
I'm 37 years old and my hair is 45% gray.  The gray springy eyebrow hair amongst the black are far more disturbing to me.  I have had bobs and pixies in black, brown, red, purple, turquoise, cobalt, platinum white, henna-red, hennidigo, and my most favorite was the shaved bald 'do.   

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2015, 10:58:36 PM »
Fun thread!

Sunshine, to your milia question: I had one, and an esthetician friend explained what it was and removed it. Honestly, all she did was prick it a teensy bit with a sterilized needle and REALLY squeezed it out (it was not that small - super gross, but gone now). It can scar if you're not careful, from what I understand.

For on-the-cheap makeup and product, I have done pretty well with sample sizes from Intelligent Nutrients (some I've had for two years, since I put so little on my hair and not every day) and Alima Pure (their makeup samples are $1.75 a pop). They last for months at a time since I don't wear makeup every day, and are a far cry cheaper than the $20 full sizes, even if you were to buy a few each year.

I use Chagrin Valley shampoo bars too, which remove the need for conditioner and made my wavy hair curlier and thicker. If you decide to explore them, Soap Nuts is the lightest and easiest to transition too.

I make my own deodorant with baking soda, cocoa butter (Queen Helene, melted on the stove), corn starch and lots of essential oils. It REALLY works - really! I don't yet like mine as much as the Chagrin Valley deodorants though, to be honest.

IllusionNW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2015, 11:47:47 PM »
I'm always looking for stuff to add to my holiday "wish list" that I will actually use.  This last year my parents bought me a Clarisonic and it's great.  It makes your skin nice and smooth and clean.  Would highly recommend it for folks.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2015, 08:00:24 PM »
This works for me:
I use a pai of very pointy tweezers, hold them over open flame until I can see the tip is very very hot, then press it onto the top of the cyst as hard as I can without crying. Do not break the skin. Do not pierce the skin. Do not use a needle or you will pierce the skin. Do not attempt to squeeze it out. Pretend that you are trying to flatten it and allow the body to reals orb it. Do that once or twice, then do NOT TOUCH it again for 3-4 days.  On day 5 or 6, the Millia is gone. 

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2015, 05:43:32 PM »
Just want to say that, regardless of what brand you are using, many many products could be cheaper just by using half the volume.  Half the amount of shampoo, half the conditioner, etc etc.
My hair...has a mind of its own. I find a spray bottle of leave-in conditioner lasts me much longer than regular conditioner and does a better job. Using a little bit of something that works can be cheaper than a scatter-shot strategy with something "cheaper."

+1 to both these.

I've tried any number of products on my very fine, very dry, very curly hair. While the products I've settled on are far from the least expensive option (helped somewhat by a friend who is a hairstylist getting them for me at wholesale), I use maybe a quarter of the volume of conditioner and gel on a daily basis as some less expensive products I've used in the past.

I've also had the same experience as a lot of other posters that the less makeup I wear, the better my skin looks. Being pregnant and too tired to bother with anything more than moisturizer in the morning has helped break the habit the past but months - I still feel more "put together" with a dusting of powder and mascara, but that's a big improvement over the full face I believed made me look older and more professional when I entered the corporate world a few years back.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2015, 07:07:01 PM »

Ditto to all of this. I'm naturally a dirty blonde with some red highlights. I've been using straight henna powder for three years.  No one realizes it's not natural.  I spent $12? on a bag of pure "skin grade" henna powder. It does not fade. I touch up roots every couple months. My hair is so soft and shiny. I was it 2x a week with "organic healthy" shampoo.

Henna is so relaxing.  I get awful headaches sometimes but have started dying my hair during them.  It goes on so cooling and soothing. Smells good. Grassy. Everything regular hair dye is not.

Lookilu

• Stubble
« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2015, 07:36:56 PM »
I've had good luck with Garner Nutrisse color. Since I use it to touch up my roots between salon visits only, a little goes a long way.

I use approximately 1 teaspoon each of color and developer and about 10 drops of the included 'conditioning oil.' I apply color to the roots along my part line and crown, and along my hairline using a little brush like one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Style-Piece-Translucent-Brush/dp/B001MP7HYY/ref=sr_1_2?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1433122402&sr=1-2

One box will last for about 6 applications, so it's very frugal indeed. :)

sstants

• Stubble
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2015, 01:40:08 PM »
My 4 favorite products are multi-taskers and grandma's tricks:

Cold cream for makeup removal. This stuff is awesome and one $5 pot will last you YEARS.
Baby oil for shaving. No, it doesn't leave you greasy, you basically slough it all off, and you don't need very much. Again, $3 for a bottle that will last a year.

Also baking soda and vinegar (apple cider for hair deep cleansing and white for general cleaning) are my best friends around the house. Once you realize how awesome these 4 things are, you'll get them at Target once a year and won't worry about replacing little bottles every month!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!