Author Topic: Just a short Rant on Facebook Market place. Err, people!  (Read 6207 times)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
Just a short Rant on Facebook Market place. Err, people!
« on: June 08, 2019, 06:36:25 PM »
I have an older Craftsman riding lawn mower I'm selling, asking $350. I have used Craigslist, but this time my wife talked with a neighbor
and the Marketplace was suggested. So I find the website and write the ad and add two pictures, this was late Wed night.
 Thursday morning I have 7 responses. Five responses ask "Is this still available" One ask if they could make two payments a month apart and one ask If I would take $300.
 So I respond, yes it's still available, save your money for the next time so you will have it available, and no I won't accept $300.
 Then nothing------  Well, the two payment guy did give me a thumbs up.
 So I write back to several when would you like to see it?  Nothing--------
 Now I have 10 responses and no one as offered to come see/start/test the mower.
 I told one this is my first post on the market place and lots of response but no one wants to come test it, what am I doing wrong?
 He responded, "Sorry, I clicked by accident.
Still waiting! :-)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 06:39:14 PM by BTDretire »

Archipelago

• Pencil Stache
Re: Just a short Rant on Facebook Market place. Err, people!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 06:46:53 PM »
This is common. You just have to ride it out and wait for someone who is actually serious. It helps to be direct, professional and transparent with people.

No need to write back to people continuously if they don't respond initially. If they're interested, they're interested. If not, they're not.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 06:53:01 PM »
Is this still available -- this is an auto post that can occur when you click on something. I'd write off all but one of the responses that say that... Most are likely a mistake. The others, well people are flakes.

twd000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 08:10:14 PM »
Yes, people are flakes. Don't let it bother you. It takes 2 seconds to respond to a message. Just think of all the time that brick and mortar salespeople waste on unserious buyers.

joestash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 08:17:42 PM »
Post it on CL as well to see which is better/easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 08:29:50 PM »
We've found Facebook to be a higher traffic marketplace than Craigslist in our area, but you always get those sorts anywhere you list. Inquiries mean little, just hold tight to "First come, first serve" - SO has tried to be nice and hold it for people before. "Something" always comes up and the either no-show or reschedule a ton. It's just the way it is. Good news is you don't have to care - just treat nothing as a real deal until someone shows up with the money.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 10:02:38 PM »
So is it still available ??

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 08:17:17 AM »
So is it still available ??
Yes, and I'll deliver it 46 miles round trip, cut the price to $200 and let you make payments,
and while I'm there, I'll wash your windows!

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 09:50:24 AM »
I now have 16 responses, the three word response from 13 of those is "Is this available"
Still no lookers.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 09:59:40 AM »
What works best for me is either craigslist or the local neighborhood listserves. The local neighborhood listserves is also a great way to get rid of free stuff, by posting and putting on porch, yard, and people will come by and get it.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 10:14:37 AM »
In my experience people of FB marketplace and Craigslist are all flakes. You just have to accept it for what it is and not get bent out of shape. Just keep the ad up and be clear and firm. Someone will eventually bite.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 11:17:53 AM »
I now have 16 responses, the three word response from 13 of those is "Is this available"
Still no lookers.

As @fuzzy math pointed out above, the "Is this available?" response is a pre-canned one that users of the FB app can send with just one tap.

So you combine the general flakiness of window shoppers with the more specific flakiness of CL/FB Marketplace shoppers, stir in some one-click inquiries, and you end up with a lookie loo cocktail.

You'll either get used to it, or you'll just stop using CL/FB Marketplace since you'll probably encounter this constantly.  In my experience, it's necessary to set both my prices and expecations low when selling with these services.

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 07:31:48 PM »
Add at the bottom: if you see this listing, the item is available.

But then remember to delete it.

joestash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 01:12:40 PM »
Another reason so many buyers send the “is this still available?” message is that so many sellers leave their posting up after the item is sold.  I’m always amazed at how many sellers I contact that don’t respond.  Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk