Author Topic: Jonesin for a Tesla  (Read 33445 times)

jprince7827

• Stubble
Jonesin for a Tesla
« on: October 10, 2014, 11:44:47 AM »
Guys, I make 150k a year, and I stash 51% of my income, which comes out to 3500-4000$/month. And here comes this Model S, it's only 1,000$/month and it's gorgeous. I want one so badly.

Yet, I only use my beat up 2004 Grand Am maybe once every two weeks, my fiance uses it regularly but not to go very far. It's in good condition, and I own it entirely.

BUT I WANT ONE.

I know 1,000$/month is basically rent, and for a car that's stupid. You should never have a car payment, period.

BUT I WANT IT.

Please, help talk me out of this. My head is spinning from it's Gloriousness. And my Fiance is no help, she wants to drive something that's not ten years old. I need support guys.

There aren't AA meetings for this kinda thing. ;)

Rob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Jonesin for a Tesla
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 11:54:09 AM »
Just tell yourself to wait for the Model ≡, and then don't get it. Delay, delay, delay.

I want one too :(

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 11:54:17 AM »
A year prior to ER'ing, I had a very strong desire to buy a BMW M3. My wife and I were both working at this point, and with our monthly dividends added in, were were saving over 10k every month. But such a move would have torpedoed my ER. A facepunch would not  have been sufficent if I had bought that car. A hard kick in the nards would have been deserved.

And in my humble opinion, thats what you deserve if you buy that Tesla. :)

Don't know much about you Jprince, if retiring early is a priority for you. But I chose ER over buying cool things that I could easily afford, and I can tell you that no car can bring the daily joy that FIRE can. Trust me.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »
It won't stop at just a Tesla.
First a Tesla.
Then a personalized (Vanity) license plate. I've seen a few Tesla's lately, they all say something like LCTRC or NOGAS. This is a must.
Then you'll be buying car wax and getting it detailed.
God forbid it gets scratched. New paint job.

Slippery slope my friend. We might have to pull your mustache card.

Terrestrial

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 12:01:17 PM »
-It's an awesome car.  It would be a lot easier if we could just tell you...ugh that car stinks just don't buy it.  But alas, yes it is awesome. 

-BUT...You don't need one.  You drive once every 2 weeks!

-It will not surprise me if like most luxury cars the ability to rent one materializes soon (depending on where you live).  Even if it's $500 a day to rent one, doing that once every few months would be a 'better' use of your money.  you drive 1 day every 2 weeks!  your 'per day' cost is $500 per month anyway.  Try and hold on.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 12:02:43 PM »
Just wondering, if you were to pull the trigger... why go with the monthly payment instead of just buying it outright?

They are awesome cars.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 12:08:06 PM »
And here's me who's been delaying gratifaction of buying a $36 rockibilly shirt for about a year now.   I do really want that damn shirt though.  Maybe this is the month?

Let me ask you a question:  Will the Model S Tesla be just as cool a year from now? 

jprince7827

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 12:08:24 PM »
Just wondering, if you were to pull the trigger... why go with the monthly payment instead of just buying it outright?

They are awesome cars.

My net worth is 115k...to buy this car outright would wipe me out.

And yeah, I just keep saying that in my mind: Nothing drives as well as having the entire day to myself...every day.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 12:09:36 PM »
I will dissent and say, Model D (AWD baby!) for the win!  And the new top model doing 0-60 in not much over 3seconds? Sheeeeeee, yeuh!

If you're serious about the car and saving that much each month, budget a portion for the car and go buy it cash in a handful of months. 

And make sure you live somewhere with charging stations or have the ability to run 220v to a high speed charger.

jprince7827

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 12:12:00 PM »
I live in Chicago, so there are plenty of chargers around. I think I might plan to get myself one of the 2010 editions in like 5 years when I'm half-way to RE, and it's cheap.

But God, if there was any machine on Earth designed to so tickle a Mustachian's fancy, Tesla is it.

ThriftyD

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 12:12:27 PM »
I own Tesla...in the form of Stocks.  I'm very satisfied with that purchase.  I bought some shares over a period of time between when the stock was trading between $25-$45.  Then in mid-2013 that baby just took off!  Even though it's down quite a bit today, I'm still sitting quite pretty with my initial investments.

That's the kind of Tesla I'm happy to own! 

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 12:14:22 PM »

That is a very good reason not to buy it, regardless of how you pay for it.

jprince7827

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
I own Tesla...in the form of Stocks.  I'm very satisfied with that purchase.  I bought some shares over a period of time between when the stock was trading between $25-$45.  Then in mid-2013 that baby just took off!  Even though it's down quite a bit today, I'm still sitting quite pretty with my initial investments.

I wish I had had the kind of money necessary in mid-2013 to have done that - Tesla is a good investment, like the Google of cars. I had a buddy who did and made 250k off it. I didn't start making real money till about mid 2013, prior to that only had about 30k to my name. I had only seen the light in January 2013.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 12:16:14 PM »
At the other end of the spectrum, I love the idea of an EV since I drive so little as-is (typically under 300 miles a month, rarely over 40 miles in a single day) but cheap used cars are so freaking cheap compared to even the least expensive EVs.  Basically the Nissan Leaf is the cheapest one I can find, and of course you're basically limited to buying locally due to the range.  $12,500 seems to be the minimum point of entry.  Meanwhile I can get a very nice condition 10-year old Prius for $7000 or a "so-so" condition 10-year old compact car for $3500.  Under no circumstances can I currently buy an EV and have it benefit my finances because EVs are all so new and limited in quantity to begin with.

Now in another 10 years?  I do not at all rule out that something like Leaf, Focus EV, or Chevy Volt will be $6000 in another 10 years, especially if gas continues to hang out in the $3 or $4/gallon range.  But for now, I too wish for an electric car but will continue to settle for crappy compact cars that get the job done just as effectively at a much lower 10-year cost.  I really like the MMM guide of looking at things in terms of what it will cost you over 10 years.  That really gets to the heart of the issue for someone looking to maximize their long term financials.

Numbers Man

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 12:16:24 PM »

^ I think the same thing about my Apple stock after listening to my SIL basically talking about "her apple" and how she needs to upgrade all the time. I really enjoy my visits at her house while laughing all the way to the bank.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 12:17:59 PM »
Slightly off topic but my friend that works there bought my son a onsie that says "Tesla" on the front and on the back across the shoulders "0 Emissions" And on the back across the butt "Almost..."

jprince7827

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 12:32:08 PM »
Slightly off topic but my friend that works there bought my son a onsie that says "Tesla" on the front and on the back across the shoulders "0 Emissions" And on the back across the butt "Almost..."

+1.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 12:35:48 PM »

Damn it, now I want one of those.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 12:46:52 PM »
NW of 115k ? I'm wondering if this is a troll post. Could any one really be that stu - er, misinformed?  Really man, do you know what website you are on? ;)

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 01:42:04 PM »
Why don't you wait on the Tesla, buy one used down the line, replace the battery, and still have an amazing car?

Or- buy a new one in a number of years when it makes even more sense?

ThriftyD

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 01:45:38 PM »

I wish I had had the kind of money necessary in mid-2013 to have done that - Tesla is a good investment, like the Google of cars. I had a buddy who did and made 250k off it. I didn't start making real money till about mid 2013, prior to that only had about 30k to my name. I had only seen the light in January 2013.

Oh I wish I would have had more to invest at the time as well.  I didn't invest a big amount by any means.  Hindsight is always 20/20.  I put in a total of about $3,000 over about a one-year period with an average cost of $34 per share.  So lately my total investment in TSLA has been sitting between $20-$25k for the past few months.  I have a very nice return on that but not nearly as much as I could have had if I was more aggressive. 

I still prefer to keep most of my investments in our MMM-approved mutual funds but I do allocate a little bit to dabble in individual stocks.  Even with that money though, I still do my research and pick stocks in good companies I believe in or have a strong history (like Tesla, Coke, Proctor & Gamble, Google, etc).  When I was a wide-eyed young novice investor 5 or 6 years ago, I got burned playing a fool's game by buying and selling cheap speculative stocks and loading up on certain REITs simply b/c they paid monthly dividends with annual dividends north of 12%.  My REITs tanked and those cheap stocks never did anything so I wised up and stopped screwing around and re-focused my goals. 

jprince7827

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 02:05:57 PM »
NW of 115k ? I'm wondering if this is a troll post. Could any one really be that stu - er, misinformed?  Really man, do you know what website you are on? ;)

Sorry Jon, I've only been officially saving at a Mustachian level since January of 2013. I started with a NW of 10k then and now it's well over 10x that. Not a troll, just beginning the journey. :)

jprince7827

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 02:06:56 PM »

Oh I wish I would have had more to invest at the time as well.  I didn't invest a big amount by any means.  Hindsight is always 20/20.  I put in a total of about $3,000 over about a one-year period with an average cost of $34 per share.  So lately my total investment in TSLA has been sitting between $20-$25k for the past few months.  I have a very nice return on that but not nearly as much as I could have had if I was more aggressive. 

I still prefer to keep most of my investments in our MMM-approved mutual funds but I do allocate a little bit to dabble in individual stocks.  Even with that money though, I still do my research and pick stocks in good companies I believe in or have a strong history (like Tesla, Coke, Proctor & Gamble, Google, etc).  When I was a wide-eyed young novice investor 5 or 6 years ago, I got burned playing a fool's game by buying and selling cheap speculative stocks and loading up on certain REITs simply b/c they paid monthly dividends with annual dividends north of 12%.  My REITs tanked and those cheap stocks never did anything so I wised up and stopped screwing around and re-focused my goals.

That's almost worse - having put in only a little and seeing what you could've made! Yeah I took 2k and invested it in stocks in January 2013 to play with and now it's worth 1700...a cheap lesson in how bad my nose is for individual stocks!

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 02:23:16 PM »
If your net worth is 115k, I don't think you are wealthy enough to own one.  Sorry. 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 02:32:35 PM »
Everyone wants a tesla. They're sexy as fuck.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 02:55:33 PM »
You don't deserve one YET.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 03:28:59 PM »
Everyone wants a tesla. They're sexy as fuck.

+1

eil

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 03:40:20 PM »
The Tesla S is a piece of shit.

It does these 3 things:

- Transport you and up to three other people from one place to another.
- Look pretty.
- Relieve you of your money.

It literally does NOTHING ELSE worthwhile. It is pretty much the most unmustachian vehicle I can think of. As a grocery-getter and commuter, it's a fail because you should be using your bicycle for these things anyway. Or at least a car that costs 1/50th of a Tesla. It can't be used to haul larger items that can't fit on a bike or bike trailer because it's just a passenger car and doesn't have appreciable cargo space. It can't be used for road trips because it only goes 200 miles (if you're lucky) in between lengthy charges.

When I see somebody driving a Tesla, I don't see someone who is well-to-do, good-looking, or trendy. I see a person who is weak, easily influenced by marketing and peers, has poor self-control, and doesn't make rational decisions in their own best interests.

I want to applaud Tesla for bringing the first successful all-electric vehicle to the U.S. market. But I can't bring myself to sing their praises when even their "for the unwashed masses" version is going to be in the BMW luxury sports-car price range instead of the Toyota Prius price range.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 03:57:44 PM »
You can't afford a Tesla yet. Go look at something sensible, like a nice late-model Mustang or a Camaro.

workathomedad

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 04:00:38 PM »
I'm glad to support tesla with my quarterly checks to the US treasury

eudaimonia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 04:07:48 PM »
I have to agree with the poster who said you don't deserve one yet. Read this post for reference:

http://www.financialsamurai.com/the-110th-rule-for-car-buying-everyone-must-follow/

If Financial Samurai can't afford a $100,000 quickly depreciating, trendy hipster car than neither can you.

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2014, 04:13:54 PM »

What??? While not an investment, or a practical form of transportation for most, it is awesome design, engineering and marketing. And a FU to a shoddy monopolistic industry. Given enough NW i'd love one, although I doubt I'll trade the time to get there.

Also, there are many (most?) more expensive, ostentatious, unmustachian supercars out there.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 04:39:17 PM by swiper »

jprince7827

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2014, 04:20:36 PM »

It does these 3 things:

- Look pretty.
- Relieve you of your money.

It literally does NOTHING ELSE worthwhile. It is pretty much the most unmustachian vehicle I can think of. As a grocery-getter and commuter, it's a fail because you should be using your bicycle for these things anyway. Or at least a car that costs 1/50th of a Tesla. It can't be used to haul larger items that can't fit on a bike or bike trailer because it's just a passenger car and doesn't have appreciable cargo space. It can't be used for road trips because it only goes 200 miles (if you're lucky) in between lengthy charges.

When I see somebody driving a Tesla, I don't see someone who is well-to-do, good-looking, or trendy. I see a person who is weak, easily influenced by marketing and peers, has poor self-control, and doesn't make rational decisions in their own best interests.

I want to applaud Tesla for bringing the first successful all-electric vehicle to the U.S. market. But I can't bring myself to sing their praises when even their "for the unwashed masses" version is going to be in the BMW luxury sports-car price range instead of the Toyota Prius price range.

This is hands-down the best explanation for why not to buy one I've heard yet. Thank you, it wiped out all my Tesla urges for the day.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2014, 04:24:10 PM »
I'm glad to support tesla with my quarterly checks to the US treasury

Agreed. Sadly, this is a way we subsidize the rich with our taxes. These vehicles are not affordable to the common person. Where's my bike subsidy? (note that I actually disagree with the concept of subsidies altogether)

I have to agree with the poster who said you don't deserve one yet. Read this post for reference:

http://www.financialsamurai.com/the-110th-rule-for-car-buying-everyone-must-follow/

If Financial Samurai can't afford a $100,000 quickly depreciating, trendy hipster car than neither can you.

And Financial Samurai is (IMO) very spendy. If he says you shouldn't buy something, you most definitely shouldn't!

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2014, 04:51:09 PM »

Damn it, now I want one of those.

I have zero desire to own a Tesla car, but I want to buy Tesla onsie!

First day I sent him to daycare in it  I couldn't wait to read the little report at the end of the day. He shit himself 3 times I laughed and was so very proud at the same time. The woman at daycare even gave me a high 5 cause she appreciated the onsie as much as I did.

jprince7827

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2014, 04:56:32 PM »

That's a great rule, and article. Thanks.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2014, 05:18:09 PM »
Agreed. Sadly, this is a way we subsidize the rich with our taxes. These vehicles are not affordable to the common person. Where's my bike subsidy? (note that I actually disagree with the concept of subsidies altogether)

Oh not this crap again.  Sorry, but the rich are the ones who subsidize the rest of us.  The top 1% pays 37% of all personal income tax and their activities are the ones that cause businesses to pay the majority of business income taxes.  Stop pretending you're a victim while you use all the government services that somebody else paid for you to enjoy.  When you're FI and living off $25k/year with a paid off home you'll be enjoying all those same government services while basically not even contributing a thing aside from minimal sales taxes and a little bit of property tax.

The members of this board are far, far and away the biggest leeches once they are financially independent.  It is only because 99% of people don't reach FI before age 60 that the workers of the world even have the ability to sustain the rest of us taking services without paying into the system.  Seriously, enjoy it while it lasts and stop bitching about the ones who are paying for you.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2014, 05:25:15 PM »

Sorry Jon, I've only been officially saving at a Mustachian level since January of 2013. I started with a NW of 10k then and now it's well over 10x that. Not a troll, just beginning the journey. :)

I'm not sure annual expenses of $50k count as a Mustachian level :-)

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2014, 05:58:47 PM »

Oh not this crap again.  Sorry, but the rich are the ones who subsidize the rest of us.  The top 1% pays 37% of all personal income tax and their activities are the ones that cause businesses to pay the majority of business income taxes.  Stop pretending you're a victim while you use all the government services that somebody else paid for you to enjoy.  When you're FI and living off $25k/year with a paid off home you'll be enjoying all those same government services while basically not even contributing a thing aside from minimal sales taxes and a little bit of property tax.

The members of this board are far, far and away the biggest leeches once they are financially independent.  It is only because 99% of people don't reach FI before age 60 that the workers of the world even have the ability to sustain the rest of us taking services without paying into the system.  Seriously, enjoy it while it lasts and stop bitching about the ones who are paying for you.

I would be fine with a fair flat income tax, regardless of level of income (I would actually prefer a tax on consumption instead). I have a problem with a huge government subsidy for a luxury vehicle (which a Tesla most definitely is) that is not even affordable for the common person. It's like a subsidy for luxury yachts. How is it remotely fair? The tax system in America is messed up.

As far as financial independence, I will have hundreds of thousands dollars invested in thousands of companies when I FIRE, allowing them to employ more people and grow the economy. If I had my money under a mattress that would be different, but it's invested in the American economy, helping it grow. Kind of the opposite of "leeching", don't you think?

I would love to know what these "government services I enjoy" are. Thousands of dollars are ripped from my paycheck towards "social security", which will be bankrupt by the time I am eligible to receive it, and the money which I could have invested far better myself. I don't need government in my health insurance (Obamacare increased my costs). My bike does almost zero damage to a road, so I don't need road maintenance. I don't need unemployment - I have savings for that. The only legitimate government service I receive is police and fire protection, and that shouldn't cost me tens of thousands a year in taxes.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 06:03:14 PM by Beric01 »

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2014, 07:19:47 PM »
Tesla repaid its government loans. The US government invested in tech and manufacturing and then got their money returned once the investment was successful. The US does that a lot. The same battery tech will percolate downwards; Tesla sells luxury vehicles first to build the brand and jump into a high-margin business; a low-margin high-volume business will follow.

The idiocy in this thread is astounding.

"social security", which will be bankrupt by the time I am eligible to receive it

No, it really won't. People will yell and whine for a while and then the retirement age will raise slightly and so on; it's not going to go insolvent.

I don't need government in my health insurance (Obamacare increased my costs)

Well, fuck other people then, they can die. I hope you never get sick and lose your job, that sure would suck.

My bike does almost zero damage to a road, so I don't need road maintenance.

This is possibly the most stupid thing you said - literally every thing you own requires road infrastructure. Minerals and metals were mined using tools delivered by road. They were sent places by road. They were processed and metal stock and so on was sent by road. That was milled, stamped, and cast, and products were sent by road. People used roads to get to these places so they could design and build everything. Jesus christ, this is so stupid I'm trying not to laugh. What the fuck are you going to do, ride your bike through the forest? Where are the replacement parts going to come from - airdropped to your house?

I don't need unemployment - I have savings for that. The only legitimate government service I receive is police and fire protection, and that shouldn't cost me tens of thousands a year in taxes.

I love this juxtaposition. You know what happens when people are hungry and jobless? They come and take your stuff. You pay for unemployment not so you can enjoy it yourself - though maybe you will - but so the unemployed don't start starving. Remember, they're not going to quietly die in their apartments where you can stand off to the side and sniff, "Good, they should have saved." You pay for social infrastructure so that you spend 10% of your income, not 100% and the rest of your belongings.

aclarridge

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2014, 07:52:14 PM »
I also really want one. But it's $100k...for a car. You are an adult; you're more responsible than that.

Just wait for the "mass market" one. By that time, maybe you'll have saved enough that the ~$40k, while still way too much for a car, will be at least forgiveable.

workathomedad

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2014, 07:59:08 PM »

FreeWheel

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2014, 08:07:51 PM »
I never knew about these cars so I just took a look. Unless I missed it, this is only available in a 4 door model? Really? I don't care how fancy pants or quick it is, that right there ruins it for me.   

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2014, 08:25:06 PM »

The Model S seats up to seven people...

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2014, 09:27:41 PM »
Find yourself the best original model Honda Insight out there, (probably $5-6K maximum) and pimp it out if you must.

You then got your electric car fix, and even trying hard you probably can't spend over $9k total (and that's really setting your sights high on pimping it!) doing it, and it'll last you just as long as the Tesla.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2014, 10:23:58 PM »
Tesla repaid its government loans. The US government invested in tech and manufacturing and then got their money returned once the investment was successful. The US does that a lot. The same battery tech will percolate downwards; Tesla sells luxury vehicles first to build the brand and jump into a high-margin business; a low-margin high-volume business will follow.

Maybe the subsidy in question is the individual tax credit for buying the car.

http://www.teslamotors.com/incentives/US

larmando

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2014, 11:38:51 PM »

I don't understand this: wouldn't making a debt for the whole price also have the same impact, plus interest?

larmando

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2014, 12:03:06 AM »
BUT I WANT ONE.

Why would you want anything that's going to look outdated, not cool, and boring 2 to 3 years from now, while you still pay for it, one way or another? Even assuming it's cool now (actually to me it looks quite a boring design compared to european cars, electric or not), it's definitely not going to be soon. Look at the prius: I remember when it came out and everybody *had* to have one, and my company's parking lot was like a prius retailer. Now my company's parking lot is like a tesla retailer, and 3 years from now it will be something else. It's even less justifiable than buying a new iphone every year (and I don't do either, of course).

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2014, 12:14:13 AM »
BUT I WANT ONE.

Why would you want anything that's going to look outdated, not cool, and boring 2 to 3 years from now, while you still pay for it, one way or another? Even assuming it's cool now (actually to me it looks quite a boring design compared to european cars, electric or not), it's definitely not going to be soon. Look at the prius: I remember when it came out and everybody *had* to have one, and my company's parking lot was like a prius retailer. Now my company's parking lot is like a tesla retailer, and 3 years from now it will be something else. It's even less justifiable than buying a new iphone every year (and I don't do either, of course).

He "wants one" like a little kid wants that new shiny toy they see on tv while watching cartoons. It doesn't matter that he'll likely never get one, it's just that his brain has that "want" it's focusing on right now. That's a very powerful thing for a person to get control of mentally, and turn it towards something in their life that would be a better choice.

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2014, 12:19:37 AM »
Guys, I make 150k a year, and I stash 51% of my income, which comes out to 3500-4000$/month. And here comes this Model S, it's only 1,000$/month and it's gorgeous. I want one so badly.

Yet, I only use my beat up 2004 Grand Am maybe once every two weeks, my fiance uses it regularly but not to go very far. It's in good condition, and I own it entirely.

BUT I WANT ONE.

I know 1,000$/month is basically rent, and for a car that's stupid. You should never have a car payment, period.

BUT I WANT IT.

Please, help talk me out of this. My head is spinning from it's Gloriousness. And my Fiance is no help, she wants to drive something that's not ten years old. I need support guys.

There aren't AA meetings for this kinda thing. ;)

You have spending issues already, and a stupid 100k car would be right in line.
I make ~95K and I save ~$5000/mo.

$1000 in rent is "basically rent" ??
Last time I paid rent, it was $650.
Now it's ~$250 after all expenses, after "roomates" living expenses share of house I own.

If you're already retired, and you can buy it and still afford retirement, then go for it.
Otherwise, no. Simple as that.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 12:29:06 AM by okashira »