Poll

Is your job productive to society?  or is it a product of consumerism?

Yes, absolutely!
My job is akin to making Rolls Royce cars.  No one NEEDS one...
Maybe.  Its beneficial to some people but not essential.

Author Topic: Is your job productive to society?  (Read 40068 times)

gdgyva

• Stubble
Re: Is your job productive to society?
« Reply #150 on: June 09, 2014, 03:18:43 PM »
capitalism at it's finest

there are thousands of such jobs out there

really no benefit to anyone

other than the owner/workers who make a living providing a product/service

there is no NEED to climb mountains...people do it because they want to

and many make a living selling them equipment, clothing, and guide services

isnt capitalism great?

Spartana

« Reply #151 on: June 10, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »
lol at this poll. I think too many people have drank the koolaid at their places of work. Unless all the people that voted were teachers or doctors/nurses why would you want to leave your jobs then if it's so essential to society?! You have a responsibility people! Back to work!! People need those cell phones and widgets!

Ha! And the one nurse who did respond (me) says she doesn't know if her job is productive to society, and wonders if it doesn't actually negatively contribute to the economy if you look at it purely in monetary terms because of the cost involved. :)

well i kind of take back my snarky comment. for some reason i was thinking jobs that are "essential" to society, not "productive" i think i was interchanging those words. so i guess in one sense all our jobs are productive in some sense otherwise they wouldn't be around! if there is no value to a company then it will flop.

either way my bad i didn't mean to rustle any jimmies just incase some were rustled.
Ha! I too was thinking "beneficial" or "needed" rather than productive. So I would have but the nurse in that category (and I put myself in there too as a rescue worker/LE person). But if the OP meant "productive" then I guess I wouldn't be in that category. Never really produced anything important or needed (like a medical device or drug manufacturer, seeing-eye dog or helper monkey trainer, etc..) although I probably helped a few people in dire need on occasion but that was just beneficial to that person/people and not society at large.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #152 on: June 10, 2014, 04:44:33 PM »
Ha! I too was thinking "beneficial" or "needed" rather than productive. So I would have but the nurse in that category (and I put myself in there too as a rescue worker/LE person). But if the OP meant "productive" then I guess I wouldn't be in that category. Never really produced anything important or needed (like a medical device or drug manufacturer, seeing-eye dog or helper monkey trainer, etc..)
In an economic sense, providing services is "production". Weird, isn't it?

although I probably helped a few people in dire need on occasion but that was just beneficial to that person/people and not society at large.
It's a great benefit to society that we're able to get that help when we need it, even if most of us never do. Thanks!

Matte

• Stubble
« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2014, 05:02:57 PM »
I crack heavy hydrocarbon molecules into lighter useable products like gasoline diesel and jet fuel. Some days take the sulpher of the products.  I would say that it would only be a matter of days before society was turned upside down if we all dissapeared.  Power Plant or grid operators would be felt even faster!  Nurses, police officers, firemen, all the jobs that require 24/7 coverage in my mind are the most productive to society.  Or they allow others to be productive by keeping the lights on and the streets safe.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #154 on: June 10, 2014, 05:30:47 PM »
I crack heavy hydrocarbon molecules into lighter useable products like gasoline diesel and jet fuel. Some days take the sulpher of the products.  I would say that it would only be a matter of days before society was turned upside down if we all dissapeared.  Power Plant or grid operators would be felt even faster!  Nurses, police officers, firemen, all the jobs that require 24/7 coverage in my mind are the most productive to society.  Or they allow others to be productive by keeping the lights on and the streets safe.
This is why I said I was productive (electric substation tech). Without the grid our way of life would be gone. I don't think any of us would like to experience the aftermath.