Author Topic: Is this forum broken?  (Read 49733 times)

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
Re: Is this forum broken?
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2013, 08:31:26 AM »
Yesterday was my first day posting on the forums. I made posts in a few different threads. Those threads had subsequent posts in them that appeared when I was using the "Unread posts" search. When I clicked on the thread, it was as if my post had never even occured. After refreshing the thread, I was able to see my post and the subsequent post. I had to refresh several threads to get new posts yesterday.
This should be fixed now. Thanks for reporting it. (You may have to log out to get the changes, then log back in.)
Please feel PM with with any site issues. I have been handling System Administrator duties for MMM since mid-March 2013.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2013, 09:22:17 AM »
Yesterday was my first day posting on the forums. I made posts in a few different threads. Those threads had subsequent posts in them that appeared when I was using the "Unread posts" search. When I clicked on the thread, it was as if my post had never even occured. After refreshing the thread, I was able to see my post and the subsequent post. I had to refresh several threads to get new posts yesterday.
This should be fixed now. Thanks for reporting it. (You may have to log out to get the changes, then log back in.)

Thanks - I will do that and let you know if I see anything again.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2013, 09:51:53 AM »

Thanks - I will do that and let you know if I see anything again.

So I'm not sure if it seems to be 100% fixed. I signed out and logged back in. The search for unread posts is still not refreshing properly, neither is threads with new posts.

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2013, 09:56:58 AM »
So I'm not sure if it seems to be 100% fixed. I signed out and logged back in. The search for unread posts is still not refreshing properly, neither is threads with new posts.

I'm going to give it some time to see if we can shake out the issues, before making more modifications. Baby steps...
Please feel PM with with any site issues. I have been handling System Administrator duties for MMM since mid-March 2013.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2013, 09:57:14 AM »
I also still have to refresh.  Every page, every time.  Blog, comments, forum, subforum, thread.  Every time.  Just at work though.  Home on the Mac and the iPhone is fine. 

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2013, 09:59:34 AM »
I also still have to refresh.  Every page, every time.  Blog, comments, forum, subforum, thread.  Every time.  Just at work though.  Home on the Mac and the iPhone is fine.
What browser and operating system at work? (Internet Explorer on Windows seems to have this problem for most people.)

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »
Yep, it's IE on Windows. 

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2013, 10:55:21 AM »
The comment function does not remember my name & email, and deletes my comment if I forget them. This has been a constant aggravation since you switched hosts.  Today I noticed an added "Check box if you aren't a spammer" popup, which also erases the name, email, and my intended post when I go back to check the box.
We have removed the check box, so hopefully that alleviates the problem.

Thanks.  Though it would be even better if you could do something so that it would not delete the post text if you forget to fill in a field like that.  That seems like a major bug to me: if there's an error, you should be able to go back and correct it with minimal effort (e.g. just check the box), not have to start over from scratch.

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2013, 10:56:48 AM »
Thanks.  Though it would be even better if you could do something so that it would not delete the post text if you forget to fill in a field like that.  That seems like a major bug to me: if there's an error, you should be able to go back and correct it with minimal effort (e.g. just check the box), not have to start over from scratch.
We experienced other problems with the plugin that required the checkbox, so it's not coming back.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2013, 12:28:32 AM »

I'm going to give it some time to see if we can shake out the issues, before making more modifications. Baby steps...

It's definitely not 100% fixed. In fact, I don't think it's fixed at all. Windows user with Internet Explorer.

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2013, 10:53:13 AM »
It's definitely not 100% fixed. In fact, I don't think it's fixed at all. Windows user with Internet Explorer.

I made another change on the server. Can you tell me if the problems are still persisting, whether on IE on Windows or otherwise? Thanks.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2013, 12:46:38 PM »
Hi there - still having to ctrl f5 for forums and main page in order to refresh...both chrome latest and I.e. latest...

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2013, 12:52:34 PM »
Hi there - still having to ctrl f5 for forums and main page in order to refresh...both chrome latest and I.e. latest...

Did you log out of the forum and clear cache in each browser and then log back in? That may be needed...

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2013, 01:02:13 PM »
I did that last week...but just did it again...will wait for a bit to try simple refresh...vs hard refresh...
Thanks for all your work on MMM!!!

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2013, 01:45:51 PM »
I did that last week...but just did it again...will wait for a bit to try simple refresh...vs hard refresh...
Thanks for all your work on MMM!!!

Please reply or PM me the result - whether it works now, or is still not working properly. Thanks.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2013, 02:36:56 PM »
I still have to refresh every page, and the main forum page doesn't load for me at all.  Blank page.  I can type the sub forum headers in the bar and get around ( ask-a-mustachian)

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2013, 02:56:26 PM »

I made another change on the server. Can you tell me if the problems are still persisting, whether on IE on Windows or otherwise? Thanks.

So I just pm'd you telling you I thought it was fixed, but after searching around it does not appear to be fixed. not in the unread posts, threads with new posts, or even private messages either.

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2013, 03:13:42 PM »
So I just pm'd you telling you I thought it was fixed, but after searching around it does not appear to be fixed. not in the unread posts, threads with new posts, or even private messages either.

I made another change, can you please log out, clear cache, and log in again? Then let me know if you still need to refresh constantly. Thank you for helping to debug this.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2013, 03:56:48 PM »
I have the same system and same problem as kulshangirl.  Refresh from the actual page is the only way I can see any new posts.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2013, 03:58:44 PM »

I made another change, can you please log out, clear cache, and log in again? Then let me know if you still need to refresh constantly. Thank you for helping to debug this.

Same situation still.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2013, 04:38:13 PM »
Not fixed, but I have the main forum page back.  Yay!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2013, 06:46:17 PM »
Thanks Kevin for working on this, and thanks to everyone helping him troubleshoot it!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MountainMan

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2014, 11:02:22 AM »
Is anyone else having issues with this forum in the last couple of days?  The server is often unavailable.

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2014, 11:03:45 AM »
There has been more traffic to the site than usual, which is causing the outages. I am working behind the scenes to fix this situation. Thanks for your patience and for reporting this.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2014, 11:24:50 AM »
There has been more traffic to the site than usual, which is causing the outages. I am working behind the scenes to fix this situation. Thanks for your patience and for reporting this.

Thank YOU for all the work that goes into maintaining this forum for us to use!  Sure, it may be a bit annoying to have to re-login or refresh the page when you get an error, but given the hundreds of error-free hours I have had on this forum, I'd say things are pretty excellent.  Kudos!

MountainMan

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2014, 11:26:53 AM »

Thank you for all your hard work. :)

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2014, 11:27:46 AM »
Thanks for the kind words!

If anyone wants to report problems, you can also PM me. Thanks.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2014, 12:41:33 PM »

I've been getting "server too busy," random 404 errors and time out/server taking too long to respond type of errors pretty frequently this week, and couldn't get on this morning at all (404 error).

It started happening somewhat late last year, but it's happening about every other visit now (and I come here daily just about).

Thinking it may be the increased popularity of the site, and wasn't sure there was something anyone can do (other than get larger/faster servers - which I know this site is more of a labor of love than profit, so understand ya'll are trying to fix as fast as you can - and thanks!).

Posted in the off topic and just got directed over to this thread so feel free to delete that one:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/mmm-site-experiencing-growing-pains/?topicseen

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2014, 12:43:02 PM »
I actually moved the site to a larger server (twice the previous capacity) about 2 weeks ago. Still have some tuning to do to smooth things out. Thanks!

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2014, 12:48:28 PM »
I actually moved the site to a larger server (twice the previous capacity) about 2 weeks ago. Still have some tuning to do to smooth things out. Thanks!

Awesome. :D
The troubleshooting phase is so much fun isn't it?

Thanks so much for all you do - I know it can be crazy sometimes, but there's lots of us out here that appreciate it.

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2014, 12:49:41 PM »
It's part of the fun! Thanks for the kind words and appreciation.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2014, 03:42:41 PM »

Let me preface this as "Oh my god, this is the most insignificant bug ever".    ...but just thought I'd mention it.  The favicon seems to have disappeared in the last server juggle.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2014, 05:40:18 PM »
I just spent two days or so with Cox telling me that they were unable to find the MMM website at all. It's back to normal today, but I couldn't get through at all over the past few days (I even tried Googling and going that way rather than using my bookmark).

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2014, 06:32:12 PM »
I just spent two days or so with Cox telling me that they were unable to find the MMM website at all. It's back to normal today, but I couldn't get through at all over the past few days (I even tried Googling and going that way rather than using my bookmark).

The site had some problems with DNS over the weekend (the system that translates IP addresses to domain names) but everything is back to normal now...

Kevin
(MMM Systems Admin)

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2014, 08:09:36 PM »
Thanks for your work in getting the site back up. : D

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2014, 09:05:11 PM »
I couldn't access the site for two days, I want a refund.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2014, 09:07:09 PM »

I demand double my money back!

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2014, 09:25:57 PM »
Site has still been out off and on this evening... just now able to get on since about 6pm. :(

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2014, 09:47:05 PM »
Site has still been out off and on this evening... just now able to get on since about 6pm. :(

At this point I believe it's all fixed, it just takes awhile for DNS changes to propagate through the Internet, so you may still see intermittent issues.  If it's still happening in a few days, please post and let us know.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2014, 10:10:47 PM »

The site had some problems with DNS over the weekend (the system that translates IP addresses to domain names) but everything is back to normal now...

Kevin
(MMM Systems Admin)

Gotcha.
Thanks for all of your work! I was more worried along the lines of "oh god, did MMM get tired of us and just close up shop". Not that I ever jump to conclusions or anything.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2014, 08:03:54 AM »

Kevin
(MMM Systems Admin)

powerdns is still having issues.  Of their 4 dns servers, I can only reach 1 of them.   That means lots of folks will still have issues.  I have access to a very large number of very large recursive dns servers.  Only a small percentage of them are currently resolving mmm.com site.  (In fact, I had to do a bit of hacking to even post this.

$ dig @46.165.192.30 powerdns.net. soa

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> @46.165.192.30 powerdns.net. soa
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

$ dig @85.17.204.117 powerdns.net. soa

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> @85.17.204.117 powerdns.net. soa
; (1 server found)
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 64535
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;powerdns.net.         IN   SOA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
powerdns.net.      3600   IN   SOA   dns-eu1.powerdns.net. hostmaster.powerdns.net. 2012011106 3600 3600 604800 3600

;; Query time: 146 msec
;; SERVER: 85.17.204.117#53(85.17.204.117)
;; WHEN: Tue Apr 15 08:58:11 2014
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 85

$ dig @108.59.1.230 powerdns.net. soa

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> @108.59.1.230 powerdns.net. soa
; (1 server found)

$ dig @95.211.40.20 powerdns.net. soa

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> @95.211.40.20 powerdns.net. soa
; (1 server found)

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2014, 08:08:22 AM »

powerdns is still having issues.  Of their 4 dns servers, I can only reach 1 of them.   That means lots of folks will still have issues.  I have access to a very large number of very large recursive dns servers.  Only a small percentage of them are currently resolving mmm.com site.  (In fact, I had to do a bit of hacking to even post this.

Mr. MM and I have discussed alternate DNS hosting and will be making the switch soon. There's always stuff happening behind the scenes. :)

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2014, 08:09:46 AM »

You got it! :) $0.00 has been credited to your account.

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2014, 08:10:40 AM »

I demand double my money back!

You got it too! :) 2 X $0.00 has been credited to your account.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2014, 08:11:15 AM »

Mr. MM and I have discussed alternate DNS hosting and will be making the switch soon. There's always stuff happening behind the scenes. :)

I figured you knew...  that was "just in case you didn't."

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #145 on: April 15, 2014, 08:13:45 AM »
I figured you knew...  that was "just in case you didn't."

I always appreciate reporting. I think it's great that there are such passionate users who want to help, so thanks!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #146 on: April 15, 2014, 08:41:52 AM »

I tried to check my account to see if you refund had been processed, but I couldn't even access it! 

And I really needed the money.... :(

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #147 on: April 15, 2014, 08:52:47 AM »

I tried to check my account to see if you refund had been processed, but I couldn't even access it! 

And I really needed the money.... :(

I got my $0 refund this morning!  And I didn't even request it!  You guys are awesome.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #148 on: April 15, 2014, 09:01:39 AM »
yikes I couldn't get on the last 4 hours this morning or last night using / trying 2 different browsers. (google chrome and Explorer).

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #149 on: April 15, 2014, 09:04:41 AM »
yikes I couldn't get on the last 4 hours this morning or last night using / trying 2 different browsers. (google chrome and Explorer).

(guessing based on my experience).   It's not the browser.  It's DNS.  The place that is hosting the dns seems to have 75% of it's DNS servers not answering.  (I don't know if they're under attack or if they're having other issues.)  In other words: you have a 25% chance of resolving the MMM domain.  Once resolved, your browser may cache it for a long time (yippee!).