Author Topic: Is there a current thread on healthcare premiums?  (Read 1568 times)

mousebandit

• Bristles
Is there a current thread on healthcare premiums?
« on: November 20, 2018, 05:16:32 PM »
I'm looking through the threads, but not seeing anything current on the healthcare premiums for 2019.  I just got my app done in healthcare.gov and am quite unhappy.  Looking for more info to see if there is something drastically wrong with my app, or if this is what everyone is paying this year. 

Thanks!
MouseBAndit

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
Re: Is there a current thread on healthcare premiums?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 05:55:11 AM »
I don't think anything is wrong with your application. Just like this year, premiums are going to increase significantly next year once again. If I'd stay with mind it'd increase from $280 to $320 (+14%). I could select a different plan with a different deductible/out-of-pocket maximum for around $300 (+7%) but I might actually partake in my wife's work-provided plan depending on what they're going to offer. This year, I would've ended up with a more than $420 premium but since we're expecting a daughter in January and her whole-family plans are not that much more than her employee-plus-spouse or employee-plus-child plans it might start making sense.

Either way: I don't think anything is wrong with your application. Insurance providers have once again increased premiums because they can, and they will continue doing so until a law stops them from robbing us.

mousebandit

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 11:30:04 AM »
I don't have any options for employer-sponsored plans this year, and the plan just for myself is over $500/mo, for the HSA bronze plan.  I knew they'd been going up since last time I was buying through the marketplace, but DANG.  I was expecting $350, maybe even $400, but this feels like throwing money away.

Are any of the healthshare groups NOT specifically for Christians, requiring a statement of faith? 

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 12:30:35 PM »
@mousebandit, my underlying premium is similar, while living in the same town. I may be older, though (am over 50).

Am replying during a break in studying the plans, but my cheapest premium for a bronze plan is $500 (and 50 cents). I may choose a higher premium than that, though, after analyzing the plans' provisions (deductibles, copayments, etc). Currently leaning toward Sendero Idealcare Bronze High Deductible (521.62 premium, 7900.00 deductible, 7900.00 out of pocket maximum). Planning to ask some provider-side questions before deciding, therefore will return to the issue next week.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:18:11 PM by BicycleB »