Author Topic: Is Dave Ramsey a damned moron?  (Read 19298 times)

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
Re: Is Dave Ramsey a damned moron?
« Reply #250 on: May 19, 2021, 12:01:41 PM »
As a hetero male/right wing nut job, I would be just fine seeing more breasts and more guns.

I'm so worried I'll misspeak again. I've enlisted some help this time, hopefully this goes well.

If you're fine seeing more breasts being used in public for their intended purpose, that makes you neither right wing or a nut job.

If you're fine seeing more guns being used in public for their intended purpose...please seek help.

If you're only ok seeing more breasts on your terms (i.e. at a party that you're hosting) and more guns being wielded by people of the "right" color...no arguments from us on using the label you identify with.

Wow, did you assume right wing meant he was racist?  Nowhere was that stated or implied.

Also, guns being used for their intended purpose doesn't have to be people shooting each other.  They could be used for:
- Hunting
- Target shooting
- Carry to keep people safe from predators (2 legged or 4 legged depending on the environment)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 12:04:27 PM by ericrugiero »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #251 on: May 19, 2021, 12:01:48 PM »
There was a Canadian lady who had a financial advice tv show that I've heard about on the forum. Can't remember the name now. Something about mason jars maybe.

Gail Vaz Oxlade is a Canadian national fucking treasure.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #252 on: May 19, 2021, 12:05:20 PM »
There was a Canadian lady who had a financial advice tv show that I've heard about on the forum. Can't remember the name now. Something about mason jars maybe.

She is now retired, right?

"Til Debt Do Us Part" was good entertainment. And yes, she used cash jars for household budgets.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #253 on: May 19, 2021, 12:08:49 PM »
Thanks everyone, I like not being crazy. I remembered the part about the jars even though I've never seen the show.

I don't watch much TV so the only current tv financial guru I can think of right now is Jim Cramer. My husband likes to watch him but his speaking style stresses me out.  Orman had a tv show a while back but I don't remember it too well
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 12:15:19 PM by Morning Glory »

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #254 on: May 19, 2021, 12:41:26 PM »
Wow, did you assume right wing meant he was racist?  Nowhere was that stated or implied.

I was going to post another long novel, but I'll cross my fingers that nothing is lost in translation with this shorter version.

He himself said "right wing nut job". That label in and of itself conjurs up a list of personality traits, which fall under "almost definitely", "probably", and "it wouldn't surprise me". I still didn't assume anything about him, as I really don't know him. That said, I will point out that I grew up in a very conservative part of the country. If someone was described as a right wing nut job, you could make certain assumptions about that person. If they were self-labelled as that though? Well either they were more liberal than they admitted, or they were more dangerous. Could go either way. Regardless, hopefully we can agree that his response did not indicate any racism.

Also, guns being used for their intended purpose doesn't have to be people shooting each other.  They could be used for:
- Hunting
- Target shooting
- Carry to keep people safe from predators (2 legged or 4 legged depending on the environment)

I'll direct your attention to where I said USED and IN PUBLIC. If someone says a person used a gun in a park, they don't mean they briefly saw a holstered gun someone had in case a moose got crazy during rutting season. They mean it was discharged. Public also means, um, in public. If I go to a gun range...that's not in a public setting, heck, I'd be rather surprised to NOT see a gun being used for its intended purpose. Hunting...I don't run into many hunters in a public setting, the closest I did so was when they were hunting on what I assume was public land...but they had huge ass bows, not guns. And to be clear, I didn't list every possible reason why a self-proclaimed right wing nut job (his words, not mine!!!) would want to see more guns. He clarified his position, and again...just based on our brief exchange, nothing really seems to support the right wing nut job label. But oh well. Maybe it's like how rich and poor alike want to be considered middle class. If you're in certain parts of the US, you want to be labelled as right wing even if you're really a liberal.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #255 on: May 19, 2021, 12:45:56 PM »
- Hunting
- Target shooting

I'll direct your attention to where I said USED and IN PUBLIC. If someone says a person used a gun in a park, they don't mean they briefly saw a holstered gun someone had in case a moose got crazy during rutting season. They mean it was discharged. Public also means, um, in public. If I go to a gun range...that's not in a public setting, heck, I'd be rather surprised to NOT see a gun being used for its intended purpose. Hunting...I don't run into many hunters in a public setting, the closest I did so was when they were hunting on what I assume was public land...but they had huge ass bows, not guns. And to be clear, I didn't list every possible reason why a self-proclaimed right wing nut job (his words, not mine!!!) would want to see more guns. He clarified his position, and again...just based on our brief exchange, nothing really seems to support the right wing nut job label. But oh well. Maybe it's like how rich and poor alike want to be considered middle class. If you're in certain parts of the US, you want to be labelled as right wing even if you're really a liberal.

This might be getting a little pedantic, but I've seen lots of guns used in public. Shooting on national forest land, shooting at the public range that is owned by the neighboring county, hunters while I'm out backpacking, etc. I guess we could argue about whether or not rifles being carried by bear hunters are being "used" while they are hiking up a hill looking for bear.

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #256 on: May 19, 2021, 12:51:08 PM »
I'll direct your attention to where I said USED and IN PUBLIC. If someone says a person used a gun in a park, they don't mean they briefly saw a holstered gun someone had in case a moose got crazy during rutting season. They mean it was discharged. Public also means, um, in public. If I go to a gun range...that's not in a public setting, heck, I'd be rather surprised to NOT see a gun being used for its intended purpose.
Not a direct response, but my most recent experience with someone's public gun usage was at a State park (guns not allowed) where a group of 8 country folk who were drinking to excess and popping off rounds at a target stuck to the tree.  These people were so inebriated that they were stumbling while attempting to stand to shoot and were collapsing on all 4s to vomit into the lake/pond they were bye.  There were lots of people swimming and picnicking starting about 25m from them, but they started to vacate when rounds were going stray.  Park rangers were too scared to confront them and instead ushered people away as the less confrontational option.

I felt so "safe" having all these people carrying guns.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #257 on: May 19, 2021, 12:55:43 PM »
This might be getting a little pedantic, but I've seen lots of guns used in public. Shooting on national forest land, shooting at the public range that is owned by the neighboring county, hunters while I'm out backpacking, etc. I guess we could argue about whether or not rifles being carried by bear hunters are being "used" while they are hiking up a hill looking for bear.

I guess I should have worded it slightly different. This is the place for pedantics after all (I'm guilty of it myself). As for how the phrase "in public" is used, it often means in a place where many other people can (and do) freely congregate; if I wore thongs to the local Walmart it'd be difficult to say I did not in fact go out "in public" dressed that way (I'm just going to say I meant the Australian definition of "thongs"). Being on national parkland with no one around for miles...it'd be hard to say I was nude "in public" if I took a quick shower in the rain. Anyway...ok, you got me on the fact there's public gun ranges.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #258 on: May 19, 2021, 01:05:08 PM »
I have to say. Normally my eyes just glaze over and I totally tune out of threads that get like this, but this one has been fun to read.

Thanks to everyone who has made this a rather dynamic and interesting chat. I think this is the first time that it's not just a few people fervently arguing their particular points to the exclusion of everyone else.

This has really been a big, whacky group discussion that's touched on a lot of sensitive topics, with a lot of back and forth, wildly opposing opinions, and a lot of humour.

I like it. This is fun.

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #259 on: May 19, 2021, 01:11:17 PM »

I was going to post another long novel, but I'll cross my fingers that nothing is lost in translation with this shorter version.

He himself said "right wing nut job". That label in and of itself conjurs up a list of personality traits, which fall under "almost definitely", "probably", and "it wouldn't surprise me". I still didn't assume anything about him, as I really don't know him. That said, I will point out that I grew up in a very conservative part of the country. If someone was described as a right wing nut job, you could make certain assumptions about that person. If they were self-labelled as that though? Well either they were more liberal than they admitted, or they were more dangerous. Could go either way. Regardless, hopefully we can agree that his response did not indicate any racism.

- Hunting
- Target shooting

Fair enough.  When I saw his post I assumed he was a conservative who likes guns and boobies and use the "right wing nut job" term tongue in cheek because he knew some would assume that about him.  You assumed something different.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #260 on: May 19, 2021, 01:22:31 PM »
^^^I thought he used the term tongue in check too. I almost responded with a "as a hetero- female left wing nut job I should be able to prance around topless while wearing my gun on my hip".Those damn conservative only let me do one of those things ;-).

Come to where I live and you can prance around topless in public all you want. No gun though.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #261 on: May 19, 2021, 01:24:37 PM »

- Hunting
- Target shooting

Fair enough.  When I saw his post I assumed he was a conservative who likes guns and boobies and use the "right wing nut job" term tongue in cheek because he knew some would assume that about him.  You assumed something different.

Yup. Just adding a little levity.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #262 on: May 19, 2021, 01:30:15 PM »

I loved that show.  She was awesome.

I can see the benefit of DR.  I have a family member who I always assumed was doing fine.  Middle-aged, married, two incomes, complaining about how much she pays in taxes.  Complaining about how hard it is to get her workers to come to work.  Nice little house with a pool, no kids.  Likes camping, has a nice pickup and a 5th wheel.  Big time job.

Now...well, she's listening to DR because she's unemployed, 58, job hunting, and wants to retire someday.  Turns out she likes buying "stuff" so much that she wasn't doing as well as I thought...

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #263 on: May 19, 2021, 01:39:38 PM »

Yeah, I'm going to need the /s tag. My sarcasm detector has been on the fritz. Started having issues when I discovered people were taking the Colbert Report seriously. I think it may have completely broke this morning when my wife was watching some show and they were all upset about a tweet someone made blaming the Chick-fil-A sauce shortage on the liberal agenda. I responded that it was obviously not meant literally, it was meant in jest, any reasonable person could...but oh no...people are taking it seriously (this is how the show was portraying it, and it was definitely getting airtime). I don't know what to believe.

Today just has not been my day.

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #264 on: May 19, 2021, 02:04:11 PM »
^^^I thought he used the term tongue in check too. I almost responded with a "as a hetero- female left wing nut job I should be able to prance around topless while wearing my gun on my hip".Those damn conservative only let me do one of those things ;-).

Now that is funny. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #265 on: May 19, 2021, 02:18:50 PM »

Come to where I live and you can prance around topless in public all you want. No gun though.
Lol. I lived in Ontario before and seem to remember lots of snow, ice, freezing temps and giant mosquitos the rest of the year so thanks but...um...no thanks ;-).

There are a couple lovely days each spring where the ice has largely melted and the mosquitoes aren't as nearly as gigantic as normal where things are quite pleasant.  And even when the mosquitoes get fully sized in the summer, we rarely have medium sized dogs carried away by them.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #266 on: May 19, 2021, 02:19:33 PM »

Lol. I lived in Ontario before and seem to remember lots of snow, ice, freezing temps and giant mosquitos the rest of the year so thanks but...um...no thanks ;-).

You left out the black flies.  I have scabs on my scalp line right now to remind me..  Definitely how much skin is exposed is very weather dependent.  Easy to decide in winter.  In summer, how hot/humid is it and how many black flies/mosquitoes/deer flies/horse flies am I likely to be food for?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #267 on: May 19, 2021, 02:22:30 PM »

There are a couple lovely days each spring where the ice has largely melted and the mosquitoes aren't as nearly as gigantic as normal where things are quite pleasant.  And even when the mosquitoes get fully sized in the summer, we rarely have medium sized dogs carried away by them.

I think we (all Canadians in that "we") should get our ferritin levels checked every fall  after our summer of blood donations.   ;-)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #268 on: May 19, 2021, 02:24:21 PM »

I think we (all Canadians in that "we") should get our ferritin levels checked every fall  after our summer of blood donations.   ;-)

I present to you .  .  . the pinnacle of the national film board in Canada:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f389hIxZAOc

Ahh . . . that blackfly song takes me back.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #269 on: May 19, 2021, 02:32:16 PM »
The black fly song and the log drivers waltz, Canadian classics.

You don't have to go as far as Abitibi either.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #270 on: May 19, 2021, 03:10:33 PM »
In an effort to divert this ongoing cringefest, I've been wondering who th most famous personal finance pundit is in the UK. Seems like Dave Ramsey is in the US? I am also aware of someone called Suze Orman, but I think DR is more famous than her.

I think it's probably true that it's either Dave or Suze, but I'm not sure which -- and I guess it depends how you define fame. I would not be surprised if Suze had more pure name recognition -- that is to say, the number of Americans who know who she is and generally what she does -- but I would expect Dave to have more of a following in the sense of how many people are committed to following his advice. He has a particular system and course that people pay to complete. Suze may have the same, but it's not that well known if she does. However, she is a household name, which I think is at least partly attributable to Oprah (she appeared on Oprah's show a few dozen times back in the day).
Suze Ormand is still around and I think she has a new show on PBS and sells some products via them  (although that might be  re-runs). Like Dave Ramsey and many other PF advisors/personalities, she is NOT about FIRE or retiring early (said she " hates, hates, hates FIRE!) - which is a whole different ball game in the PF sphere. Both DR and Suze do address various ways to get out of debt and increase savings. Some ideas even include living very lean and cutting out excess until debt free (DR's "rice and beans and beans and rice" mantra come to mind. Kind of like MMM badassery but as a temporary hardship rather then a permanent (and better) way to live. Can't think of any from the UK though.

ETA: Was trying to think of any "famous" more mainstream FIRE personalities (besides our Dear Leader) but can't think of any. Most, like Suze who believes you can't FIRE unless you have a minimum of $5 million, just focus on working and earning to traditional retirement age or longer. Suze believes people need to be working at least until 70 and maybe beyond to support their retirement in old age.

https://yourmoneygeek.com/dave-ramsey-fire-movement/#:~:text=Dave%20Ramsey%20has%20said%20many,at%20a%20job%20you%20love.

I'm old.  My favorite personal finance guru was Harry Gross. He was on the radio out of Philadelphia and had a column in the Philly papers. 
https://www.inquirer.com/philly/business/372060711.html#z86vpA1tlI54SoUC.99

There were others in the local papers, similar vibe and similar vintage to Harry. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #271 on: May 19, 2021, 04:38:16 PM »

I actually remember the logs on the river when I was a kid.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: May 19, 2021, 04:47:49 PM »

- Hunting
- Target shooting

Not for nothing, but some of my favorite hiking trails are on public recreation areas.  Half of those areas have gun ranges open to the public.  I’ve walked on a popular trail 50ft where someone was setting up for the range.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #273 on: May 19, 2021, 05:14:50 PM »
I have to say. Normally my eyes just glaze over and I totally tune out of threads that get like this, but this one has been fun to read.

Thanks to everyone who has made this a rather dynamic and interesting chat. I think this is the first time that it's not just a few people fervently arguing their particular points to the exclusion of everyone else.

This has really been a big, whacky group discussion that's touched on a lot of sensitive topics, with a lot of back and forth, wildly opposing opinions, and a lot of humour.

I like it. This is fun.

The derailment of this thread has become spectacular in scope and breadth.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #274 on: May 19, 2021, 05:47:18 PM »

I like it. This is fun.

The derailment of this thread has become spectacular in scope and breadth.

Forumites are talented that way.   ;-)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #275 on: May 19, 2021, 05:48:30 PM »

Ottawa was a logging town long before it was the capital.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #276 on: May 19, 2021, 05:58:47 PM »

Ottawa was a logging town long before it was the capital.

I just remember trying not to get thunked in the head by logs when I was swimming.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #277 on: May 20, 2021, 01:25:19 PM »
That post is a consistent part of his extremely inflexible personal finance ethos, which includes absolute debt aversion -- and by extension, credit card aversion, even for people who pay them off every month. ...

When I used to listen to him years ago - I literally heard him tell people to quit their job over credit-card related employee travel. 

One caller had a situation where they were required to use the corporate card, for which they were jointly liable for the bill, for all travel. (this is not uncommon - my husband and I have had multiple employers require this! The joint liability is because you can use the card to go on a spending spree - not because the employer is trying to stick you with the bill).   Dave's advice to quit the job over this was short-sighted if the employee was in sales or customer service or another travel-heavy job.

Another employee wanted a travel advance from their employer because their travel was infrequent and they were supposed to use their personal card (or otherwise front the money) to pay for expenses and then get reimbursed.  Their company policy wouldn't allow travel advances.  In that case, Dave could have suggested that the employee try to get most of the travel paid for directly by the company or perhaps on the boss's company card (for the hotel and airfare) and then their expenses would have been minimal. But Dave went straight to "QUIT THAT JOB NOW!"

He's such a blowhard.

mckaylabaloney

• Bristles
« Reply #278 on: May 20, 2021, 01:53:50 PM »
That post is a consistent part of his extremely inflexible personal finance ethos, which includes absolute debt aversion -- and by extension, credit card aversion, even for people who pay them off every month. ...

When I used to listen to him years ago - I literally heard him tell people to quit their job over credit-card related employee travel. 

One caller had a situation where they were required to use the corporate card, for which they were jointly liable for the bill, for all travel. (this is not uncommon - my husband and I have had multiple employers require this! The joint liability is because you can use the card to go on a spending spree - not because the employer is trying to stick you with the bill).   Dave's advice to quit the job over this was short-sighted if the employee was in sales or customer service or another travel-heavy job.

Another employee wanted a travel advance from their employer because their travel was infrequent and they were supposed to use their personal card (or otherwise front the money) to pay for expenses and then get reimbursed.  Their company policy wouldn't allow travel advances.  In that case, Dave could have suggested that the employee try to get most of the travel paid for directly by the company or perhaps on the boss's company card (for the hotel and airfare) and then their expenses would have been minimal. But Dave went straight to "QUIT THAT JOB NOW!"

He's such a blowhard.

lmao WHAT! These are great examples of where Dave clearly crosses the line from "advice that is suboptimal for Mustachians" to "advice that is suboptimal for almost everyone." Especially the second person, whose only problem seems to be not having enough of an emergency fund to front their work travel expenses. Being forced to front company travel on personal credit cards is one of the best problems to have IMO; as long as it doesn't create cash flow problems for you (should be easily avoidable if you have a sufficient emergency fund), you get all the benefits of credit card spending without actually spending any of your own money. What a bummer to know he's telling people to quit their jobs over that.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #279 on: May 20, 2021, 03:31:37 PM »
Using your own CC and getting reimbursed is such a great deal for employees because of points that every company I’ve worked for explicitly forbids it because the company, not unreasonably, wants the rebate themselves (we used to get a 2% rebate for all spend on AMEX when I worked for the German GE; 350k worth of employee travel adds up!!)

mckaylabaloney

• Bristles
« Reply #280 on: May 20, 2021, 03:41:50 PM »
Using your own CC and getting reimbursed is such a great deal for employees because of points that every company I’ve worked for explicitly forbids it because the company, not unreasonably, wants the rebate themselves (we used to get a 2% rebate for all spend on AMEX when I worked for the German GE; 350k worth of employee travel adds up!!)

I'm a lawyer and have had mixed luck on being allowed to book work travel on my own cards -- some firms outlaw it not because they want the rebates etc. but because they fear that employees will be incentivized to select unnecessarily expensive travel options (which the clients will ultimately pay for) in order to get the points (probably a valid concern).

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #281 on: May 20, 2021, 03:47:13 PM »
He's so unwavering in his opinions and often bad advice. Credit cards, paying off mortgages,unmarried couples living together are but a few examples. I heard a snippet of a rant by him on cancel culture. He's apparently against it if it's a topic the is of personal interest to him, like right-wing politics. But for it when an employee has a crazy wife, or the librul gubmint, or people having the kind of fun the he objects to.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #282 on: May 20, 2021, 04:47:40 PM »

I'm a lawyer and have had mixed luck on being allowed to book work travel on my own cards -- some firms outlaw it not because they want the rebates etc. but because they fear that employees will be incentivized to select unnecessarily expensive travel options (which the clients will ultimately pay for) in order to get the points (probably a valid concern).

We get that anyways just because of loyalty; someone who had status on United only wants to fly United even if more $$ just because of upgrades, miles, etc.

Fortunately the Concur travel system will flag that, even if some will then override.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #283 on: May 26, 2021, 10:26:29 AM »

Yeah, I'm going to need the /s tag. My sarcasm detector has been on the fritz. Started having issues when I discovered people were taking the Colbert Report seriously. I think it may have completely broke this morning when my wife was watching some show and they were all upset about a tweet someone made blaming the Chick-fil-A sauce shortage on the liberal agenda. I responded that it was obviously not meant literally, it was meant in jest, any reasonable person could...but oh no...people are taking it seriously (this is how the show was portraying it, and it was definitely getting airtime). I don't know what to believe.

Not sure about tweets but this absolutely happened. The Republican Governor of Oklahoma sent out a fundraising message for his re-election campaign blaming the Chick-Fil-A sauce shortage on Biden's radical Liberal policies. PETA also put up a billboard calling him a meathead and he responded by having a cookout and grilling meat in front of it.   

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #284 on: May 26, 2021, 10:40:21 AM »

Not sure about tweets but this absolutely happened. The Republican Governor of Oklahoma sent out a fundraising message for his re-election campaign blaming the Chick-Fil-A sauce shortage on Biden's radical Liberal policies. PETA also put up a billboard calling him a meathead and he responded by having a cookout and grilling meat in front of it.
He had to, he needs the constituents. Oklahoma = beef.