Author Topic: Is College/University Worth It? Seriously.  (Read 30696 times)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: Is College/University Worth It? Seriously.
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2013, 09:58:24 AM »
In my field, which is pension consulting, a degree is required. Most of the VPs have advanced degrees, designations and/or certifications.  I could see my firm hiring an exceptional junior person without a degree, but one would be required to progress.  The college itself is not so important here. We have people from the Ivies and state schools. Our top execs are a mix. I would agree with the other posters that so much depends on the field and the company. Some Wall Street financial companies only hire MBAs from top 20 schools. Consulting firms like Bain may only hire MBAs from top 10 schools, and you have to be top of your class at the top 10.  Large accounting firms don't seem to care where you get your degree, but they totally care about your grades.  I interviewed (and got the job) at Ernst & Young years ago, and one of the partners was very concerned that I did not have an A in Economics 101. I was 39 at the time.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2013, 06:10:01 PM »
What is AP? I don't think we have this in my country. From context, I'm guessing these are advanced classes you take in high school that can be counted towards college credits?

Yep, AP classes are Advanced Placement courses you take in high school. At the end of the year, you take an exam that costs ~$80 (there are waivers for low income students I believe). Then colleges will award credit based on that score. I took an AP Literature course and got a 3 (scale is 1-5) on the exam. So I never had to take an English class at my 4 year college.

Rich M

• Stubble
  • Fortune Kookie
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »
Wow, I couldn't get through all the comments here but my conclusion is this, if you can market a perpetual motion machine you built in your basement, you don't need a college degree.

Rich M

• Stubble
  • Fortune Kookie
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2013, 08:19:57 PM »
College is where the girls are!

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2013, 08:55:59 PM »
The other benefit is that you end up with a higher GPA in high school for AP classes. A B in AP classes count the same as an A in a regular class.
Depending, of course, upon how your specific school district calculates weighted GPAs.  What you're saying is slightly different in my district. 

rebel100

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2013, 08:59:25 PM »
The only "issue" with AP classes is that they aren't as available as other forms of credit by exam like CLEP and DSST.  If your in High School you have access, but the exams are offered only once or twice a year and they are often only done at a specific HS within a region...so they can be hard to access.

CLEP and DSST on the other hand are subject specific, don't require any specific class or training, and are available at just about any college campus in the US and at many testing centers around the world.  You typically pay around $100 to take an exam worth 3 credits (though some CLEP are worth 6 credits).

AP, CLEP, and the SAT are all from the same company...The College Board http://about.collegeboard.org/what

StarswirlTheMustached

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2013, 09:42:44 PM »
The only "issue" with AP classes is that they aren't as available as other forms of credit by exam like CLEP and DSST.  If your in High School you have access, but the exams are offered only once or twice a year and they are often only done at a specific HS within a region...so they can be hard to access.

CLEP and DSST on the other hand are subject specific, don't require any specific class or training, and are available at just about any college campus in the US and at many testing centers around the world.  You typically pay around $100 to take an exam worth 3 credits (though some CLEP are worth 6 credits).

AP, CLEP, and the SAT are all from the same company...The College Board http://about.collegeboard.org/what
Wait. You need SAT scores to get into college down there, right? So your entire system of higher education is beholden to a single for-profit corporation that serves as gatekeeper?
That's crazy.

rebel100

• Stubble
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2013, 10:46:04 PM »

Wait. You need SAT scores to get into college down there, right? So your entire system of higher education is beholden to a single for-profit corporation that serves as gatekeeper?
That's crazy.
many colleges do require SAT scores, but it's entirely possible to go to good schools without them.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2013, 07:49:28 AM »
That's crazy.

I wouldn't say the College Board controls the entire system, but they do play a very profitable role. There is a competitor to the SAT - the ACT (provided by another for profit corporation...) that's used heavily in the midwest.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2013, 09:34:40 AM »
That's crazy.

I wouldn't say the College Board controls the entire system, but they do play a very profitable role. There is a competitor to the SAT - the ACT (provided by another for profit corporation...) that's used heavily in the midwest.

...and many schools automatically accept you if you're in the top X% of your HS graduating class.

rebel100

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2013, 11:00:04 AM »
One can attend a CC without a ACT or SAT score usually...if you take the CLEP English Comp and College Algebra you can likely skip the typical placement tests as well.  Once CC is done there are usually matriculation agreements in place to continue on to a 4 year school without taking the SAT/ACT.  The Harvard Extension School will admit anyone who passes three courses with a "B" or better (harder than it sounds)...but again no standardized testing for the admission process.  there are plenty of routes around the SAT/ACT.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2013, 06:16:36 PM »

That's crazy.
[/quote]No, the SAT isn't flat-out required. 

You could take the ACT instead.
You could begin at a community college; they don't require any standardized testing.
You could choose a college that doesn't require any standardized testing.  In my state we have a slew of small, private universities that're aimed at kids who either aren't very smart or who didn't work very hard in high school . . . but who have parents with deep pockets.  They tend not to require testing. 

On the other hand, if you want to attend one of the big-name state schools, yes, you must take the SAT.  Still, it isn't the be-all-end-all for college admission.  Your high school GPA and the rigor of your high school coursework weigh more heavily than the SAT score. 

MustacheMatt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2013, 12:05:28 PM »
I do believe in extending education beyond high school.  It's value is really to be determined by you.  The idea of dropping 80k or more on a degree to get a 50k a year job seems like going backwards tho imo.

I was able to get a 2 year, nationally accredited degree with honors from Ashworth College (an online school) for less than $4k (included books and shipping, zero interest loan too).  For many years i've chortled at how much people pay for college until I came here and saw the CLEP'ing strategies outlined.  Seems like I could have gotten a bachelors for that amount!!!