Author Topic: In praise of the 3 bedroom 1 bathroom house.  (Read 31758 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: In praise of the 3 bedroom 1 bathroom house.
« Reply #300 on: November 10, 2019, 03:34:20 PM »
Meanwhile this eight-month-old Wall Street Journal article on the inability to make tons of money from tons of house popped up again today. The paywall is down for Veterans Day, so anyone can read.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-growing-problem-in-real-estate-too-many-too-big-houses-11553181782?mod=e2tw
Ugh. These people built trophy houses and now the house owns them. Cry me a river.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #301 on: November 10, 2019, 03:35:44 PM »
Meanwhile this eight-month-old Wall Street Journal article on the inability to make tons of money from tons of house popped up again today. The paywall is down for Veterans Day, so anyone can read.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-growing-problem-in-real-estate-too-many-too-big-houses-11553181782?mod=e2tw

LOL maintenance was easy when he was "only" 82yo but now that he's 89yo his umpteen million sqft home is too much hassle.  Selling price dropped by 400k...just die already boomers.  I love these generational wedge news pieces.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #302 on: November 10, 2019, 04:21:33 PM »

LOL maintenance was easy when he was "only" 82yo but now that he's 89yo his umpteen million sqft home is too much hassle.  Selling price dropped by 400k...just die already boomers.  I love these generational wedge news pieces.

Didn't read the article, but at 89 he is too old to be a boomer.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #303 on: November 10, 2019, 05:06:21 PM »

I'm not sure the houses in this price range are really representative:

In North Carolina’s Buncombe County, which draws retirees with its mild climate and Blue Ridge Mountain scenery, there are 34 homes priced over $2 million on the market, but only 16 sold in that price range in the past year

It's looking at houses that are wayyyyy outside any semblance of "normal" for most folks.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #304 on: November 10, 2019, 06:09:53 PM »
There were 5 of us and one bathroom. Now we are empty nesters and have 2 bathrooms:))

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #305 on: November 10, 2019, 06:35:09 PM »

Didn't read the article, but at 89 he is too old to be a boomer.

STOP.  Boomer hate in progress.  Do not impede. 

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #306 on: November 10, 2019, 06:50:39 PM »

Ugh. These people built trophy houses and now the house owns them. Cry me a river.

The big question is why doesn’t one of their kids want the big house?  Now would be the time to move in and take over responsibility while allowing grandpa to live there.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #307 on: November 10, 2019, 07:18:08 PM »

The big question is why doesn’t one of their kids want the big house?  Now would be the time to move in and take over responsibility while allowing grandpa to live there.

idk, if my parents "gifted" me a $3M house I'd try to sell it immediately.

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #308 on: November 11, 2019, 03:57:54 AM »

Why don’t adult children want their parent’s dream house; the house their parents built new or customized, bc THEY didn’t want to live in someone else’s dream house? Gee.

Most people want to go and do their own thing. They don’t want to rehash their parents’ desires.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #309 on: November 11, 2019, 07:15:33 AM »
I thought of this thread yesterday. I was at a birthday party and a mom friend with three kids (I also have three) was talking about wanting a bigger house. Her house is actually four bedrooms, but the fourth is used as office/junk room/guest room. Currently she has three boys, two share a room, and she thinks it will be problematic as they get older. My two boys also share a room, and she made me start questioning about whether it will be problematic when they get older. She is considering an addition, which we don't want to do. We don't want our kids to move out and be stuck with this giant house. Plus we figure if sharing a room is problematic during the teenage years, that's only a few years, so we can probably block off the area that is currently a playroom and turn it into a bedroom for a short term if needed. Anyway, of course I was feeling bad about making them share a room, and then I remembered that there are so many mustachians with kids in even smaller spaces than I have. I think there is enough room that the boys can get some space if they need it, but I'm not a teenage boy, so I guess I will find out.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #310 on: November 11, 2019, 07:25:17 AM »
I thought of this thread yesterday. I was at a birthday party and a mom friend with three kids (I also have three) was talking about wanting a bigger house. Her house is actually four bedrooms, but the fourth is used as office/junk room/guest room. Currently she has three boys, two share a room, and she thinks it will be problematic as they get older. My two boys also share a room, and she made me start questioning about whether it will be problematic when they get older. She is considering an addition, which we don't want to do. We don't want our kids to move out and be stuck with this giant house. Plus we figure if sharing a room is problematic during the teenage years, that's only a few years, so we can probably block off the area that is currently a playroom and turn it into a bedroom for a short term if needed. Anyway, of course I was feeling bad about making them share a room, and then I remembered that there are so many mustachians with kids in even smaller spaces than I have. I think there is enough room that the boys can get some space if they need it, but I'm not a teenage boy, so I guess I will find out.
That's crazy, they do have enough bedrooms for each kid to have their own.  I have 3 bedrooms, and only 2 boys.  They are sharing a bedroom now, and the other one is currently a guest/junk room.  But it could be one of their rooms if they wanted to split up.  To build an addition in order to preserve a junk/office/guest room is a bit crazy, IMO.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #311 on: November 11, 2019, 07:34:42 AM »
That's crazy, they do have enough bedrooms for each kid to have their own.  I have 3 bedrooms, and only 2 boys.  They are sharing a bedroom now, and the other one is currently a guest/junk room.  But it could be one of their rooms if they wanted to split up.  To build an addition in order to preserve a junk/office/guest room is a bit crazy, IMO.

Yeah, she did admit that building an addition would basically mean that they love that house/area so much that it is worth spending that extra money vs. just buying a larger house. Their house is already pretty large though...

I guess my mustachian is showing. haha

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #312 on: November 11, 2019, 07:40:17 AM »

Yeah, she did admit that building an addition would basically mean that they love that house/area so much that it is worth spending that extra money vs. just buying a larger house. Their house is already pretty large though...

No.

To repeat, she is building an addition just to keep one room as a junk room. That's fucking ridiculous.

I don't have an issue with siblings sharing a room, but I think making siblings share a room so that a bedroom can be dedicated to housing excess crap is insane.
Building an addition so that said room can continue housing crap is doubly insane.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #313 on: November 11, 2019, 08:42:47 AM »
Why don’t adult children want their parent’s dream house; the house their parents built new or customized, bc THEY didn’t want to live in someone else’s dream house? Gee.
Most people want to go and do their own thing. They don’t want to rehash their parents’ desires.
I think the bigger problem is that these large dream houses are in the middle of nowhere. The people trying to sell are in their 70s and 80s, so their kids are likely in their 30s to 50s and well established in their careers.

Friends of mine in their 40s have parents who built a giant dream house 25 years ago in a rural area when they retired, and have been trying to offload it for the past 5 years or so. Eventually, they just moved out and left the giant dream house empty. If the house was had been near their kids, then there would be a much better chance one of their kids would take it.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #314 on: November 11, 2019, 10:24:29 AM »

No.

To repeat, she is building an addition just to keep one room as a junk room. That's fucking ridiculous.

I don't have an issue with siblings sharing a room, but I think making siblings share a room so that a bedroom can be dedicated to housing excess crap is insane.
Building an addition so that said room can continue housing crap is doubly insane.
Just for the record, my boys happen to like each other and wanted to share a room.  The junk in the smallest room is a just a byproduct of lack of use, like dust gathering in the corners of the floor.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #315 on: November 11, 2019, 11:54:24 AM »

No.

Just for the record, my boys happen to like each other and wanted to share a room.  The junk in the smallest room is a just a byproduct of lack of use, like dust gathering in the corners of the floor.

To be clear, I was referring to the person the pp mentioned, not you. You and I are in agreement.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #316 on: November 11, 2019, 02:01:58 PM »

No.

Yeah she was definitely referring to my friend.

The whole sharing a room thing is so hard for me. My husband and his brother are twins and shared a room and they hated it. Mainly because my BIL is just an asshole.  It's interesting to see how it plays out in adults. My husband would never live with anyone (except me). He always wanted his own space. My BIL could never live alone. He always had to have a roommate. I'm sure it's not because of the sharing a room thing, I just find it so interesting to see how they are twins and yet so different. The thing that bothers me most is that his parent had a big enough house so that they didn't have to share. But a) they were hoarders, a good half of their house was unusable b) for some reason, they gave the boys the smallest room in the house. In fact, I believe the house was originally four bedrooms and they knocked out one of the walls to make a larger master bedroom. Makes no sense to me, and seems very inconsiderate of the problems the boys had. (not that kids should rule the house or anything, but if you have the means, it makes sense to pay some consideration to their wishes.)

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #317 on: November 11, 2019, 04:06:42 PM »
No prob. I figured she was talking about them. Just wanted to make sure people didn't think I was putting junk over my kids.  I encourage them to be close, and so far, so good! It will be no problem with me if they want separate rooms in the future, too. I'm very private myself, and married the only person I could stand to live with! Lol!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!