Author Topic: Ian Mackaye of Fugazi worth $25 million?  (Read 7634 times)

Jake P

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Workin' at it!
Ian Mackaye of Fugazi worth $25 million?
« on: April 08, 2013, 07:08:17 AM »
http://www.therichest.org/celebnetworth/celeb/musician/ian-mackaye-net-worth/
Anyone here on MMM listen to Fugazi? Ian has been preaching anti consumerism since at least '86 with his old band Embrace.  His music has been a huge influence on me, and while this website doesn't seem to back up the 25M number they've thrown out, I could see him being able to save this much of his earnings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh9wsWBKrxk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugazi

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
Re: Ian Mackaye of Fugazi worth $25 million?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 11:13:52 AM »
Ian Mackaye is amazing. Cheap all ages shows, not milking fans in any way. More power to him if he's amassed that kind of money with fan-friendly practices.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 09:38:16 PM »
I've got that Minor Threat cd out in the truck as we speak.  I never saw them live but I did catch a Fugazi show back in the late 80's.

Good for Ian!

JahWontPaytheBills

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:27:28 PM »
I've seen Fugazi live 20 times at least. Ian is one smart dude. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if he had 25 million in the bank.

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 11:33:49 PM »
What? Wow that's really surprising. Way cool though.

Jake P

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Workin' at it!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 07:23:03 AM »
I'm sure he's worth quite a bit. Seeing as most of the Fugazi records and the Minor threat record sold close to 1 million copies each and it didn't hurt that Ian is also the owner of the record label.  I can't see them having made a ton of money off of touring due to the band only charging $6 a ticket and not selling any merchandise at shows.  The band never sold Tshirts.  I've heard rumors for years about him having millions in the bank and driving a 95 Honda Accord and wearing thrift shop clothes....

tkaraszewski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Project $30,000
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 09:45:33 PM »
The internet also claims Henry Rollins has a $12mm net worth, which wouldn't surprise me, either.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 09:10:50 PM »
That would not surprise me at all. He attended my friend's wedding and wore cutoff shorts. He wasn't buying a suit for that. He's the true anti-consumerist deal.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 09:29:06 PM »
I saw Henry Rollins spoken word/Capitalism Tour last year. If he is that wealthy, he certainly made it sound as though he is making a living project by project. Also, if you ever get to see him speak, it's the most amazing 3+ hour non-stop rant (he doesn't even take a drink of water and barely even shifts his weight).

Also, for you Fugazi lovers - do you know about the archived recordings of over 800 of their live performances? http://www.dischord.com/fugazi_live_series

This is all a part of his genius.

twinge

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 08:19:57 AM »
I credit the diy sensibility of the 80s hardcore/indie music scene that my older brother introduced me to when I was just a tot in elementary school as nearly as influential on my diy/frugal approach to life as my engineer father who built and fixed a lot of what we owned.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »
I saw Henry Rollins spoken word/Capitalism Tour last year. If he is that wealthy, he certainly made it sound as though he is making a living project by project. Also, if you ever get to see him speak, it's the most amazing 3+ hour non-stop rant (he doesn't even take a drink of water and barely even shifts his weight).

rollins doing spoken word is a truly a thing of beauty. when he talks about how he is making it project by project, maybe he's talking mental rather than financial health? dude reminds me of the kind of dog who will go bananas if he doesn't get to burn off a shit ton of energy every day.