Author Topic: I un-FIREd myself recently  (Read 20659 times)

Roothy

• Stubble
Re: I un-FIREd myself recently
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2018, 02:22:01 PM »
Honestly, I'm just impressed that you paid for both by filing a dinghy with $100 bills.  Weren't you worried it might sink/blow away?

HappyWlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2018, 02:31:25 PM »
Honestly, I'm just impressed that you paid for both by filing a dinghy with $100 bills.  Weren't you worried it might sink/blow away?
Yes it was very hard shooing away the pigeons trying to carry away the bills, and warding off those pesky pirates! :)

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2018, 03:32:48 PM »
I'd have to have a huge stash to justify buying cars for that much money.  Like 5 million plus stash.
How much do you have now?  Trust me, you don't need that much, unless you have huge expenses and expensive taste in things.
  Low expenses but, your cars would cost me a tenth of our net worth.   Spending a tenth of your net worth on transportation is crazy.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2018, 03:46:04 PM »
If I were judgmental, I'd say you need a big face punch.  However, all I will say is that I hope you're taking that sucker to the track regularly...

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2018, 03:53:40 PM »
You spent 200k on a car, and you're not already FIRE with enough margin to do that?! :O

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2018, 03:53:55 PM »
Oh Scottish, your tag line made me laugh out loud.....thanks!

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2018, 07:16:09 AM »
Yeah, ok, I'll be honest: I don't quite get the post.  It just sounds like bragging.  I get the car love; I have a StupidCar myself, which is quite ridiculous and deserves to get me booted from this forum.  I justified it similarly to the way you did:  I am FI; we have chosen not to RE for several more years; I have wanted this specific car for close to 30 years; I found an ok deal on a lightly-used one with almost all of the features I wanted;* and I do not regret it one bit and adore driving it and put the top down whenever the weather allows** because it makes me happy.

But I also don't post about it much here, except in situations such as this to show that I "get" the car love, or to illustrate my own lack of mustachianism.  Because, I'm sorry, a StupidCar is not remotely mustachian.  On the "knee of the curve" scale, there is no way this thing is even close -- I paid close to 3x what I paid for my prior car, and I am not getting 3x the fun.  And, you know, that's ok -- we all have our "things," and if this is yours, more power to you.  God knows that mine is worth it to me.  I also don't feel like I have to justify my decision to anyone, because it was a personal decision, and I am happy with it, and anyone else who would like to run my life for me can go fuck themselves; I'm not aspiring to be a "perfect" mustachian or a "perfect" anything. 

But there's a big difference between "don't have to justify" and "flaunting."  My decision to buy the car is not something I feel like I should be bragging about here, on a forum dedicated to encouraging less consumption and more environmentalism.  It is anti-Mustachian, completely contrary to the ethos of the blog and the forum, and not something I expect folks here to pat me on the back over.

There are very legitimate and issues in the post that merit serious discussion -- e.g., the value of being a SWAMI instead of going full-FIRE; the value of EVs; the concept of how you decide for yourself when to be frugal and when it is worth it to stray; how much is "enough"; etc.  It's just hard for me to engage on those substantive issues when the post seems to focus on "I just dropped almost $200K on fancy cars and it was the best thing I've ever done!" 

So sorry -- it just rubs me the wrong way.  I come here to be reminded that I don't need my StupidCar to be happy.  I get enough people telling me I "need" stuff like that to be happy in my real life. 

*There are only a few hundred of this particular make/model/trim level made any year, and I wanted one of three years, so the perfect car probably doesn't even exist.

**By "allows," I mean "is above 40 and not actively raining."

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2018, 08:06:12 AM »
<3 Laura

The OP literally joined the forum to post about the car, and it sure sounds like he/she is mostly concerned other peoples reactions, both in real life and on the internet.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2018, 08:08:47 AM »
Sell those cars and take a bike!

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2018, 09:40:32 AM »
<3 Laura

The OP literally joined the forum to post about the car, and it sure sounds like he/she is mostly concerned other peoples reactions, both in real life and on the internet.

The username "HappyWlife" and all the ":)" scattered about seem to point to pure happiness and contentment no matter what anyone thinks!!

HappyWlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2018, 09:42:52 AM »
Yeah, ok, I'll be honest: I don't quite get the post.  It just sounds like bragging.  I get the car love; I have a StupidCar myself, which is quite ridiculous and deserves to get me booted from this forum.  I justified it similarly to the way you did:  I am FI; we have chosen not to RE for several more years; I have wanted this specific car for close to 30 years; I found an ok deal on a lightly-used one with almost all of the features I wanted;* and I do not regret it one bit and adore driving it and put the top down whenever the weather allows** because it makes me happy.
There is nothing for you to get from the post.  It's to stir up some fun conversation and see how people react.  I imagine some would be incredulous and react the way you did...that's fine.  I was once like you, very judgemental and harsh against people who spent money on anything *I didn't see as worthwhile*.   I never understood why anyone would valet a car, spend more than $50 per night on a hotel room, eat at a sit down restaurant, or do anything that was a luxury.  I ridiculed those people.  I thought I knew it all and I was more right than anyone else.

Now that I'm on the other side of life and seeing that life is not forever, that there are actually things that people like to do before they die, I look at those things differently.  I would have never let purse strings open as that prior person.  As this new person, with a renewed look upon life, and appreciation for the wonders of various things that can bring about different experiences, I am less judgemental, and I appreciate that everyone can have different things that bring them joy.

So no, there was no point to this post, other than to generate some fun discussion.  If you see it negatively, that's on you, not on me.  I don't need your approval.  I don't need your worship or jealousy.  But I enjoyed your post nonetheless.

HappyWlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2018, 09:44:55 AM »
<3 Laura

The username "HappyWlife" and all the ":)" scattered about seem to point to pure happiness and contentment no matter what anyone thinks!!
Thank you, you get it exactly.  I don't need anyone's approval or disapproval.  I have inner happiness and that's all that matters.  I didn't get to make over well over $100k per year needing other people's approval, or build this net worth seeking approval.  I am inner centered and balanced. 

I did something decidedly anti-mustachian.  Others can give me a face-punch or whatever, it doesn't bother me.  I am at peace, happy, and very blessed. I know *my priorities* and what I value at this time.  I do enjoy each and every post that has been posted, because it is what makes life interesting and unique, the way we interact and deal with each other. :)

HappyWlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2018, 09:46:35 AM »
The Ioniq is begrudgingly acceptable, the NSX is crazy times!
I couldn't agree with you more.  But then again...if life is 100% mustachian, it would be a very boring life for many...  you have to have crazy times sometimes to have crazy fun.  :)

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2018, 11:28:42 AM »
Your posts are annoying AF. Since you joined just to tell us you bought an expensive car, it appears you were looking to get a rise out of us. Personally i do not care how many expensive cars you bought. If buying and working extra to pay for them makes you happy, hurray for you. For me it would add a lot of time on my FIRE plans, which I don't want to do, and since I don't care about cars, it's not a decision I would make. But it's not my life, it's yours. Ciao.

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2018, 11:32:16 AM »
Took me a little while to sort out exactly my reaction to this post.  First it was confusion, then eventually sadness.  While MMM and this forum are about FIRE, the particular brand of FIRE around these parts is also about environmental consciousness, decreasing consumerism, and freedom of time.  Like others, I come here for inspiration to dig a little deeper and cut out a little more excess, for the reminder that acquiring crap doesn't bring happiness, and for the face punches and reality checks necessary to course correct.  What I don't come here for is to see what the ridiculously expensive things other people are buying.  Where has the badassity gone?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2018, 11:39:44 AM »
Took me a little while to sort out exactly my reaction to this post.  First it was confusion, then eventually sadness.  While MMM and this forum are about FIRE, the particular brand of FIRE around these parts is also about environmental consciousness, decreasing consumerism, and freedom of time.  Like others, I come here for inspiration to dig a little deeper and cut out a little more excess, for the reminder that acquiring crap doesn't bring happiness, and for the face punches and reality checks necessary to course correct.  What I don't come here for is to see what the ridiculously expensive things other people are buying.  Where has the badassity gone?

Some people's journey to "enough" takes their entire lives.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2018, 11:42:03 AM »
There is nothing for you to get from the post.  It's to stir up some fun conversation and see how people react.  I imagine some would be incredulous and react the way you did...that's fine.  I was once like you, very judgemental and harsh against people who spent money on anything *I didn't see as worthwhile*.   I never understood why anyone would valet a car, spend more than $50 per night on a hotel room, eat at a sit down restaurant, or do anything that was a luxury.  I ridiculed those people.  I thought I knew it all and I was more right than anyone else.

Now that I'm on the other side of life and seeing that life is not forever, that there are actually things that people like to do before they die, I look at those things differently.  I would have never let purse strings open as that prior person.  As this new person, with a renewed look upon life, and appreciation for the wonders of various things that can bring about different experiences, I am less judgemental, and I appreciate that everyone can have different things that bring them joy.

So no, there was no point to this post, other than to generate some fun discussion.  If you see it negatively, that's on you, not on me.  I don't need your approval.  I don't need your worship or jealousy.  But I enjoyed your post nonetheless.

Yeah, ok.  You do get the irony of bragging about conspicuous consumption on a forum that is dedicated to opposing that very thing?  Especially given Pete's avowed hatred of overpriced mobile luxury buckets.

Believe it or not, I do not begrudge you the cars at all; that would be a serious case of glass houses and stones.  But "harsh"?  Umm, have you met us?  That wasn't even a love tap, hon.  But, yeah, I guess it is fair to say I am a little bit judgmental -- not about the cars, about the need to come here to brag about buying them. 

But, hey, you don't need my approval, I don't need yours, so just go enjoy the hell out of those cars. Really.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2018, 11:44:43 AM »
Where has the badassity gone?

I dunno you better ask MMM. He built an extra building just to hang out in despite having a big fancy house to be in and bought a new car he didn't need just because it was fun/interesting and he wanted to do it.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2017/01/24/diy-studio-building/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2016/10/04/so-i-bought-an-electric-car/

If environmental impact or low cost living was the prime concern he wouldn't have done either.

Mrs. MMM started a business making soap and such. She doesn't need the money and the world really doesn't need more boutique soap. But there you have it more unnecessary consumerism.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2017/03/06/etsy-shop/

I could go on.

HappyWlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2018, 12:01:28 PM »
Your posts are annoying AF. Since you joined just to tell us you bought an expensive car, it appears you were looking to get a rise out of us. Personally i do not care how many expensive cars you bought. If buying and working extra to pay for them makes you happy, hurray for you. For me it would add a lot of time on my FIRE plans, which I don't want to do, and since I don't care about cars, it's not a decision I would make. But it's not my life, it's yours. Ciao.
I'm sorry it's annoying AF to  you, but to help you feel better, it matters none to me how you feel. :)

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2018, 12:07:33 PM »
Add me to the list of those baffled. I mean, buy whatever you want, I don't care, but I don't get the point of your post here. Its like if one of us went to a fancy-car discussion board and said "I sold my car and now ride my bike and take public transport everywhere and its amazing."

TL;DR - Cool story bro

HappyWlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2018, 12:08:43 PM »
What is badassity exactly? To live like a monk?  Have you lived like a monk?  I've lived like a monk all my life.  Been there, done that, despite making piles of money. 

You see, I realized towards the end piles of money is not the goal, it does not bring about happiness.  Utilization of the money in ways that brings you joy is happiness. 

As Tim Ferris succintly states in one of his podcasts, money is necessary for happiness but it does not bring about happiness.  In the book "Happy Money: The Science of Happier Spending" which Tim Ferris alluded to, there are ways money can bring happiness, if you stick to 5 key principles.  I have followed these principles my entire life, just as I continue to do.

I have studied human psychology, and how money can bring misery or happiness.  Money is just at tool...to worship the saving of it is foolhardy and misguided.  I have more money I will possibly need in my lifetime.  I'm enjoying some of it, and leave a lot of it various charities when I leave this planet.

I'm sad that you're sad, especially since you don't understand the journey I have taken...perhaps in the future you will be enlightened and understand.  Until then...ciao and happy trails.

HappyWlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2018, 12:13:48 PM »
I dunno you better ask MMM. He built an extra building just to hang out in despite having a big fancy house to be in and bought a new car he didn't need just because it was fun/interesting and he wanted to do it.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2017/01/24/diy-studio-building/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2016/10/04/so-i-bought-an-electric-car/

If environmental impact or low cost living was the prime concern he wouldn't have done either.

Mrs. MMM started a business making soap and such. She doesn't need the money and the world really doesn't need more boutique soap. But there you have it more unnecessary consumerism.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2017/03/06/etsy-shop/

I could go on.
Very interesting.  MMM at its core would be to live like a monk.   This is one of those videos that I really enjoy and understand how simple life can be:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21j_OCNLuYg

Of course my life is no where near as simple as that, but I completely support that man's philosophy - do not be a slave to money.  The worst thing in life is to be a slave to money.  Whether your net worth is $1 or $10 million, you can be a slave to money or choose not to be.  That was the most important life lesson I learned.

I think the MMM forums people tend to take this too far.  They don't understand money can be used positively for enjoyment, even if it's a little "excessive".  But hey, at least I bought hybrids, somewhat environmentally friendly vehicles! :)

HappyWlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2018, 12:14:49 PM »
Add me to the list of those baffled. I mean, buy whatever you want, I don't care, but I don't get the point of your post here. Its like if one of us went to a fancy-car discussion board and said "I sold my car and now ride my bike and take public transport everywhere and its amazing."

TL;DR - Cool story bro
thanks for the cool comments, bro. :)

HappyWlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2018, 12:21:14 PM »
$200k for 2 cars for one person? Damn! That would buy a lot of Vitamix blenders for starving children in Africa.
Very true. I actively contribute to Charity Water and other causes.  I hope everyone does something for those starving children around the world!

Peter Parker

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2018, 12:53:43 PM »
I think this recent market boom, has gotten some people a little overconfident.  Be careful, my friends....

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2018, 01:43:24 PM »
Okay, so a few obvious truisms:

1. Frugality will not necessarily lead to riches and happiness.

2. Being a spendthrift will not necessarily lead to poverty and misery.

So, naturally, I'm like "whatever" to OP's post. It offers nothing new. It's a social experiment on a very micro level. It doesn't break the rules of becoming FIRE because these extremely extravagant purchases probably hasn't done much to affect their financial situation. What it does break is the philosophy, which is a fine line that we all teeter on. How much consumption is enough? How much is too much? The answer is there is no answer and so the appropriate reaction to the original post is "okay." You can't really set a limit on a particular activity for others when you yourself participate in said activity to any degree.

I get some of the backlash though. All of us here already know that no amount of (increasing) consumption can bring permanent happiness. Money doesn't make you happy and spending more of it doesn't make you happier, it only prevents you from being miserable and tied to shitty situations. We should all work to cure ourselves from tiny detail exaggeration syndrome (one of my fav. MMM posts). The difference between a car that runs and functions properly and one that runs and functions properly plus a whole bunch of unnecessary crap is indeed very small. The act of being able to propel oneself through space with zero effort is the amazing part - anything else on top of that is completely irrelevant. Boil down things to the fundamental level of what makes something amazing and you'll begin to see through all of the bullshit people put on top of the thing that actually matters.

But hey - if you've been an extreme saver all of your live and don't know what it's like on the other side - who can fault you? I daresay that most people here are in reverse order and came here after being liberal with spending. You really don't know what you're missing (or not) until you try something. We've all had to make mistakes to figure out the truth and what we want and don't want.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2018, 01:52:30 PM »
I see OP as somewhat fraudulent. She(?) says that she has been mustashian - the most mustashian of mustashians even. Yet, she has rented so many prestige cars that she is a VIP prestege car renter. Surely there is some disconnect there! She earns more than $200,000 per year, and then earns about $100,000? I think we have a troll!

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2018, 01:55:08 PM »
$200 000 USD would buy 68 320 mosquito nets for beds in malaria-infected countries, and would save thousands of lives.
It would buy 501 020 measles vaccinations in developing nations.
It would buy 1 066 421 polio vaccinations. One billion.
It would send 1670 kids to school for a year in places where education is inaccessible to poor people.

Maybe the joy you get from these cars (how does one person drive two cars? do you have two asses?) is better than the satisfaction of making a huge difference in the world. I have no idea. But it seems in poor taste to brag about outrageous consumption. If you want your use of money to mean something there are other ways.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2018, 01:56:48 PM »
I see OP as somewhat fraudulent. She(?) says that she has been mustashian - the most mustashian of mustashians even. Yet, she has rented so many prestige cars that she is a VIP prestege car renter. Surely there is some disconnect there! She earns more than $200,000 per year, and then earns about $100,000? I think we have a troll!

Troll lesson #2 is to keep one's story straight.

HappyWlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2018, 02:28:34 PM »
Wow, it's amazing how you have me figured out so quickly, with so little information!!

And it's amazing how people don't have a clue learn to pick apart so many other people so quickly. :)

I'll give you a hint... I lived the life of a consultant.  My client expense reports paid for my travel, including hotels, rental cars, and per diem meals.  I saved my per diems and ate cheap meals to save money, lived out of suitcases for many years, got a world view and knowledge traveling the world. 

I'm sorry you haven't had the career / life that I've had, so it's hard for you to imagine that such a life is possible. 

HappyWlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2018, 02:30:16 PM »
$200 000 USD would buy 68 320 mosquito nets for beds in malaria-infected countries, and would save thousands of lives.
It would buy 501 020 measles vaccinations in developing nations.
It would buy 1 066 421 polio vaccinations. One billion.
It would send 1670 kids to school for a year in places where education is inaccessible to poor people.

Maybe the joy you get from these cars (how does one person drive two cars? do you have two asses?) is better than the satisfaction of making a huge difference in the world. I have no idea. But it seems in poor taste to brag about outrageous consumption. If you want your use of money to mean something there are other ways.
Who's to say I haven't donated a significant amount of my time or money doing so?  What have you done for the world? How much have you donated in meals, services, and money to these developing countries?

I have always pledged 3% of my income towards charities.  How much have you done?

It's easy to be holier than thou, isn't it? :)

HappyWlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2018, 02:31:45 PM »
I think this recent market boom, has gotten some people a little overconfident.  Be careful, my friends....
I've been praying for a crash for many years.  I've got cash I've been waiting to plow back in the market if it crashes.  But I've also got significant assets invested as well, so either way I'm good to go.

HappyWlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2018, 02:33:18 PM »

It's really interesting how quickly a "mob" mentality forms and goes after a target.  I'm not sure it's jealousy, hatred, or what...but it sure is interesting.

I bring you nothing but love in return. :)

It's been fun chatting with you all, but there's nothing further to be gained from this discussion. 

Life is at least a little more interesting, for good, or bad, for this dialogue.  I hope it makes one think, and helps someone in their life journey a little.  If that happens, I will be grateful.

I guess I will bid my adieu, and refrain from participating any further, unless there are further really interesting or intriguing thoughts in this thread. 

You all have been very kind to entertain my post and see what the social reaction would be.  I wish you all much success on your personal journeys. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:36:45 PM by HappyWlife »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2018, 02:36:06 PM »
There is another lesson that can be learnt from OP. Spendipants begets spendipants. In fact, I would be quite surprised if it ended with the cars themselves...

A retired mustashian friend has always been keen on having a Ferrari. But he doesn't. He would have to have a good garage for it, and building a good garage would take away the amenity of his house. It would also cost a lot, and mess up his garden and entry way for the duration of the building work. Or maybe, he could rent a garage somewhere else, but then he would need to have two cars - one to go to and from the garage, and the Ferrari. And he would be afraid to drive it, in case some low-down heel scratched it. And he would need to get it detailed regularly to keep it in pristine condition. This is similar to the problems with a McMansion - once you have the house, you feel you need proper accoutrements.

A relative has a Porsche. He doesn't drive it to work because it causes too much comment. The customers of his business suspect that they are paying too much if he can afford a Porsche. It is too small to take the family out for a drive, so it sits in its luxurious garage.

But then, I suspect that OP also has a McMansion, because Prestige car rental places don't normally rent to people in down-at-heel suburbs. And this may be the reason why she hasn't mentioned getting other accoutrements to match the cars.

HappyWlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2018, 02:38:24 PM »
There is another lesson that can be learnt from OP. Spendipants begets spendipants. In fact, I would be quite surprised if it ended with the cars themselves...

A retired mustashian friend has always been keen on having a Ferrari. But he doesn't. He would have to have a good garage for it, and building a good garage would take away the amenity of his house. It would also cost a lot, and mess up his garden and entry way for the duration of the building work. Or maybe, he could rent a garage somewhere else, but then he would need to have two cars - one to go to and from the garage, and the Ferrari. And he would be afraid to drive it, in case some low-down heel scratched it. And he would need to get it detailed regularly to keep it in pristine condition. This is similar to the problems with a McMansion - once you have the house, you feel you need proper accoutrements.

A relative has a Porsche. He doesn't drive it to work because it causes too much comment. The customers of his business suspect that they are paying too much if he can afford a Porsche. It is too small to take the family out for a drive, so it sits in its luxurious garage.

But then, I suspect that OP also has a McMansion, because Prestige car rental places don't normally rent to people in down-at-heel suburbs. And this may be the reason why she hasn't mentioned getting other accoutrements to match the cars.
Ok one more post.

Speculation can be quite fun, I admit.  I must inform you that you are dead wrong.  I despise McMansions, and I do not fit the profile of a fat cat living the life up the 9's. 

In fact, most of my neighbors are quite ordinary folk, and one was shocked to find out I had such a super car one day when I was taking it out. 

I am not the typical stereotype of what you may think.  With that, I bid you adieu.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2018, 02:53:25 PM »

Yeah, the OP even said she posted to see how people would react. But she doesn't care at all what people think, no sirree.

nemesis

• Bristles
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2018, 02:58:13 PM »

Yeah, the OP even said she posted to see how people would react. But she doesn't care at all what people think, no sirree.
I'm confused, where does the OP say he/she earns more than $200k per year?   I don't see that anywhere at all...not from the OP at least.

I think some people reading this thread are confused?  It seems to me Deborah is reaching for things to try to attack the OP, for whatever reason?

I'm just minding my own business and eating the popcorn reading the posts in this forum.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 03:00:24 PM by nemesis »

nemesis

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2018, 03:02:09 PM »

It's a lot harder to verify who said what, and when, right? It's a lot easier to jump on the "troll" bandwagon in fever pitch. This feels like the Reddit pitchfork emporium thread, where someone will make a claim and start to gang up on someone else.  Are we in kindergarten again kids?

I think Deborah is mistaken about the $200k income.  I read the thread just now and looked again, and don't know what Deborah is talking about.

I mean it's one thing to bash the OP for things he/she actually said, but it's another to make up stuff to bash him / her for.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2018, 03:03:00 PM »

Ok one more post.

Speculation can be quite fun, I admit.  I must inform you that you are dead wrong.  I despise McMansions, and I do not fit the profile of a fat cat living the life up the 9's. 

In fact, most of my neighbors are quite ordinary folk, and one was shocked to find out I had such a super car one day when I was taking it out. 

I am not the typical stereotype of what you may think.  With that, I bid you adieu.

Is this going to be like one of those bad plays?

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »
Looks like OP got bored with the game. We are not getting hysterical enough.

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2018, 03:18:35 PM »
This is a weird thread for the MMM forum.

On the one hand, the instinct is to be supportive of the original poster because this is generally that type of forum.

But really, I can't see how buying $200k worth of cars to get yourself to national parks is something to celebrate.

As to the general principle of having enough money and doing what you want with it, I am a fan.  But if someone posts that they have tons of money and decided to buy a really loud truck to scare the shit out of cyclists as they drive by, I don't think we'd endorse it on the principle that it's your FU money and do whatever you want.

Not sure where that leaves us.  Enjoy the parks?

Not meant to be a critical post btw.  Just seems to capture the idea that our initial reaction is to view the world from the perspective of the original poster, even where the post isn't really consistent with how most people may view the situation. 

I do think your idea that you magically saved $40k is misguided.  The dealer didn't let the car go for any price he wasn't willing to sell at.  But $40k's probably not going to matter to you regardless, so it doesn't matter that much.

+1, entirely.  Especially the notion of "saving" $40k by purchasing the car. 

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2018, 03:28:42 PM »
Weirdest thread ever.

nemesis

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2018, 03:37:32 PM »
Weirdest thread ever.
This is MMM.  If this is the weirdest thread you've seen, you haven't been on here much, have you?

I've been reading quite a few doozies the last few days alone.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2018, 03:42:39 PM »
Now that the OP is gone from this thread. I can honestly say I feel bad for her. Almost textbook narcissistic personality disorder.

Let's not write any more "really interesting responses"

Trolls usually go away when you stop feeding them.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2018, 03:44:14 PM »
Darn, I didn't find out if she takes her super car to the track of if it's primarily a status symbol.

I shall assume the latter.

nemesis

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2018, 03:45:54 PM »
Now that the OP is gone from this thread. I can honestly say I feel bad for her. Almost textbook narcissistic personality disorder.

Let's not write any more "really interesting responses"

Trolls usually go away when you stop feeding them.
I'm not sure who is the troll in this thread. The OP was not taunting anyone, and yet there were several people who were acting as the MMM Police ready to fight the OP. 

On the internet, there is no winner when people start acting like little kids.

I don't condone's the OP's purchase, but I am also annoyed by the self-righteous posters who seem to attack the OP for whatever reason I'll never understand.

I've seen a lot worse behavior online. This is pretty mild as far as what I've seen in the the last hour alone today online.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2018, 03:55:32 PM »
Definition of troll:

troll
One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll

nemesis

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2018, 03:57:43 PM »
Definition of troll:

troll
One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll
That could apply to a lot of people on here, or nearly everyone.  Even MMM himself... he has some pretty controversial views and posts that a large part of the population disagrees with.   

I'm not here to be a yes man, or part of a group think.  This board is great with a variety of voices and views.  If everyone was single minded, we'd be more of a cult.

Personally I'm arguing with JLee about the virtues of Windows 10 vs Windows 7.  I'm sure one could label either one of us a troll as well.  Who the hell cares, really?  It's just the internet, don't take it so personal. 

The intelligence of a forum plummets once people start labeling others trolls.  It deflects from the actual discussion and attacks the character of the poster.  I have a feeling the using of the label "troll" makes us feel morally superior to those we are arguing with or have a beef with.  Are we not above this, kids??

/popcorn
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:05:16 PM by nemesis »

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2018, 04:09:42 PM »
I am not going to argue wither or not the cars were affordable to the OP, or if you can afford said luxury you should.

Part of being mustachian is trying to save the environment.  In this case purchasing two brand new cars is not that.  I could maybe even see the point of the fancy pants Accura, if that was the only car, but seriously 2 brand new cars, why, well because I can obviously. 

It is no wonder why we will never stop climate change or an of the extinction atrocities that humans are responsible for with an altitude like that.  I will do what I want and fuck the rest of you...