Author Topic: I spent $250 on a poster  (Read 5235 times)

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
I spent $250 on a poster
« on: February 22, 2016, 02:56:17 PM »
This has to be the most unmustachian thing I have done since I found this site about 3 years ago.

The $250 donation to the Murray Bros Caddyshack Golf charity got me a Caddyshack poster signed by Bill Murray. It also got me a raffle ticket for the Grand Prize which is getting you and a guest flown out to Florida and put up in a hotel in addition to golfing on Bill Murray's team in the tournament and VIP after party stuff. I figured nobody ever actually wins those things and I just wanted the poster.

I got an e-mail last week saying that I won and I have been giddy ever since.

https://www.prizeo.com/prizes/bill-murray/a-cinderella-story/default

Here are some pictures from last year (some might be nsfw)
http://thechive.com/2016/02/11/win-a-round-of-golf-with-bill-murray-join-us-for-the-caddyshack-tournament-29-photos/

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: I spent $250 on a poster
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 04:14:43 PM »
Nice!  We bought, at auction, my Dad a Caddyshack poster signed by a bunch of them--Bill Murry, Harold Ramos, Romney Dangerfield, Chevy Chase, and like 4 others--for Father's Day a few years ago.  He loves it, one of his favorite gifts ever.

Congrats on the grand prize win!  That's extra neat.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 04:25:02 PM »
This has to be the most unmustachian thing I have done since I found this site about 3 years ago.

The $250 donation to the Murray Bros Caddyshack Golf charity got me a Caddyshack poster signed by Bill Murray. It also got me a raffle ticket for the Grand Prize which is getting you and a guest flown out to Florida and put up in a hotel in addition to golfing on Bill Murray's team in the tournament and VIP after party stuff. I figured nobody ever actually wins those things and I just wanted the poster.

I got an e-mail last week saying that I won and I have been giddy ever since.

https://www.prizeo.com/prizes/bill-murray/a-cinderella-story/default

Here are some pictures from last year (some might be nsfw)
http://thechive.com/2016/02/11/win-a-round-of-golf-with-bill-murray-join-us-for-the-caddyshack-tournament-29-photos/

What about the gophers?

Won't someone please think of the gophers?

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 03:25:59 PM »
Hahaha...  Oh, I just have to say the title of this post made me roar with laughter--so, thanks for that!!

One of my hobbies is attending science-fiction cons and most photos/autographs with celebs will cost you $25-50 a pop (with guys like Shatner going for $100+.)  So, over the years I've spent a small fortune on these.  Nothing wrong with an autographed "Caddyshack" poster.  It's a collectible which will probably outdo gold over the next 50 years.  Get it professionally framed though!  (There goes another $100.)

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 03:33:40 PM »
Here's a pic of me with Nathan Fillion which I think cost (wasted) me about $40.  Look who's on his shirt!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 03:38:40 PM »
I like to picture that he hurt that hand pretending to be Captain Hammer and smashing it too hard on something.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 03:43:38 PM »
I like to picture that he hurt that hand pretending to be Captain Hammer and smashing it too hard on something.

He probably did!  Or The Holy Avenger from "Super".  In real life he's actually very much like the character Richard Castle.

He shook my hand with his left--I didn't even notice the wrappings on his the other one until I got the photo from the developing station.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 04:13:41 PM »
In real life he's actually very much like the character Richard Castle.

You're making my wife swoon.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 04:17:40 PM »

What about the gophers?

Won't someone please think of the gophers?

He's all right, don't nobody worry 'bout him:

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 12:03:45 PM »
Here's a pic of me with Nathan Fillion which I think cost (wasted) me about $40.  Look who's on his shirt!

KCCO! :)

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 12:31:21 PM »

Shoot, that was an investment, not a spend. It'll only go up in value!!!

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 12:40:19 PM »
I have made a tidy side income buying collectible posters (mostly from Mondo) and reselling some of them on Ebay.  Some of the posters have been financial duds (but look amazing on the wall), but the best of them returned me over 3200% in just over a year (a Totoro poster that I resold after a year for 32x my purchase price).  Right now I have a closet shelf full of poster tubes waiting for me to get around to reselling them - it's easy to procrastinate when they go up in value and I basically don't have to think about it.

So when I saw the OP that's what my mind went to.  That said, I'd take a round of golf with Bill Murray any day of the week.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 02:55:43 PM »
a Totoro poster

Odd coincidence... I just heard of (and watched) that for the first time last night. That bus! <3