Author Topic: I really want Netflix. Talk me out of it!  (Read 19027 times)

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
Re: I really want Netflix. Talk me out of it!
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2017, 07:13:21 AM »
 It sounds like you're just not getting as much value from it as you used to. Nothing wrong with that. I naturally mix it up because I get bored doing one thing for too long. I have a standing desk and I work from home up to 12 hours per day, I need something running in the background or I'll go crazy. So I switch between Netflix, music (yeah, I dance while standing at my desk), audiobooks, podcast etc).  Good luck with the experiment!.

When I first moved into my house and was renovating it while living there, I didn't have Internet or any form of entertainment, not even a smart phone, for one year.  Let's just say I got to know NPR programming very well. I even pulled out the old CD collection from high school and college.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2017, 07:27:03 AM »
Netflix is a bit overrated because the selection is so poor, IMO. They are pushing a lot of their original content, and most of it I don't care for. Their Marvel Defenders series is pretty boring fare compared to the actual Marvel movies or other good TV shows...Stranger Things is incredible, which is the exception, and the House of Card had a solid first 2 seasons and good 1st Season.

Maybe Orange is the New Black? Haven't seen that yet.

I do like having Planet Earth and some of their documentaries. But I will probably cancel in 2 years, after I watch all the old shows that I never watched the first time around (like Parks and Rec).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2017, 12:35:15 PM »
It sounds like you're just not getting as much value from it as you used to. Nothing wrong with that. I naturally mix it up because I get bored doing one thing for too long. I have a standing desk and I work from home up to 12 hours per day, I need something running in the background or I'll go crazy. So I switch between Netflix, music (yeah, I dance while standing at my desk), audiobooks, podcast etc).  Good luck with the experiment!.

When I first moved into my house and was renovating it while living there, I didn't have Internet or any form of entertainment, not even a smart phone, for one year.  Let's just say I got to know NPR programming very well. I even pulled out the old CD collection from high school and college.

Ah, see I'm a creature of habit so I have to be very careful what habits I allow myself to develop.

I put so much mental energy into my work and volunteer activities that it's easy to justify being mindless with my free time, but I'm finding my free time getting wasted and unless I use my free time properly, then when I think back on my week, all I can remember is work and that feels draining.

On the flip side, I need a lot of rest and down time due to illness, so it's a balance of not pushing myself too hard during my downtine, but also not letting that downtine passively slip through the cracks as if it was never even there.

Balance can be tricky.

Yeah, if I were actually paying for netflix, I'd probably cancel it regularly and resubscribe occasionally to watch specific things.   As it is, Tmobile pays for it and I share it with my extended family so meh.