Author Topic: I don't think I can stand the rain anymore, it's rained here for almost 6 months  (Read 19660 times)

pudding

• Bristles
I've got to be proactive about this from now on, I can't sit in the rain every year like this... I'm up here in Vancouver and its rained or snowed nearly everyday now since the beginning of October, and the 14 day forecast looks soggy too.

Thats 6 months of F**& crap weather.... drives me nuts, I've honestly had enough of the rain after the first 2 weeks that it hits in fall.  To sit around in it until April each year is just a bad idea.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3091539/it-has-rained-almost-every-day-for-two-months-in-vancouver/

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/14-day-weather-trend/british-columbia/vancouver

Stachless

• Stubble
This is why I moved to san diego 20 years ago from chicago.  Growing up, I had no idea how much the weather affected me, or that bad weather is flat out optional.  It is amazing the difference great weather makes in my day-to-day happiness.

Our sunshine isn't free....but its almost always worth it!!

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
I feel you :-) I live in New Hampshire and winter is just waaay too big a % of the year. But I love my job and work/life balance and so I think I'll stick it out up here until FI unless some great opportunity comes up. Definitely struggle with the urge to just uproot and head south though! When it's *really* cold I literally ask myself, "what am I doing here?" :/

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
As someone new to the PNW, I really don't get why people get so upset about the weather.

Yeah it rains. Sometimes it even goes below 40 degrees.

Today I did a double take when reading an article in the Seattle Times talking about how harsh and gloomy this winter has been. I just don't see it. Is this just one big ploy to encourage people to leave?

ahoy

• Stubble
Yep, that would do my head in too.  I am kind of a weather freak, so it had better not be too cold.

We lived 7 or 8 years in Alberta and winter totally drove us nuts, we went back to our home country.   Also, I have spent half a winter in the Okanaghan, practically no snow, but still a hell of a lot colder to what we grew up with. 

Good luck and keep your chin up!

Paul der Krake:  You are lucky the weather doesn't have this effect on you.  However, I think I would rather put up with the rain than -20C. 

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
It's not for everyone.

pudding

• Bristles
As someone new to the PNW, I really don't get why people get so upset about the weather.

Today I did a double take when reading an article in the Seattle Times talking about how harsh and gloomy this winter has been. I just don't see it. Is this just one big ploy to encourage people to leave?

Thats good then! Weather where you live suits your preferences.   The rain can be nice, I went out tonight and felt good on my face and the air really fresh.

When I've been away before and then fly home and get in the fresh air here again its always good.

A lot of what gets to me is if you go to the beach in summer theres a couple of thousand people, buskers, pretty girls, lots to see and you don't have to be all wrapped up and can roll around on the grass. In winter like tonight maybe one person walking a dog and homeless shouting and invisible people.

Tonight I went out and theres just no one hanging out, just busy going from inside here to inside there.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
I understand it very well. My mood also goes up and down in tact with the weather. We often have foggy weather. The first autumn in our previous house it rained 6 weeks in a row, the whole day long, and that is so really not nice.

In Norway we have a city at the west coast where it rains or snows on average 6 days a week. I sometimes visit that place in May, when the weather statistically is best. So far I have been lucky in May.

But in Norwegian we have an expression: there is no such a thing as bad weather, only bad clothing. If dressed for the circumstances, you can of course do outdoor things. But I also like camping and that is just really not very nice in a constant rain for days.

pudding

• Bristles
I understand it very well. My mood also goes up and down in tact with the weather. We often have foggy weather. The first autumn in our previous house it rained 6 weeks in a row, the whole day long, and that is so really not nice.

In Norway we have a city at the west coast where it rains or snows on average 6 days a week. I sometimes visit that place in May, when the weather statistically is best. So far I have been lucky in May.

But in Norwegian we have an expression: there is no such a thing as bad weather, only bad clothing. If dressed for the circumstances, you can of course do outdoor things. But I also like camping and that is just really not very nice in a constant rain for days.

Yes, my mood also goes up and down with the weather. It's just the way it is for me.  Because my mood goes up and down with the weather, I think it would be good for me to spend some time in a sunny place in winter.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Yes, my mood also goes up and down with the weather. It's just the way it is for me.  Because my mood goes up and down with the weather, I think it would be good for me to spend some time in a sunny place in winter.

I don't have a problem with the whole winter. When it is sunny, or at least bright weather, I like to go CC skiing. So a combination of good snow conditions and good weather can save my day in the winter. If the snow conditions are good (this year has been pretty hopeless), I even go skiing when it is snowing or foggy or any weather. But then I really have to put myself to doing it and fight the urge to stay inside. Once I am outside, skiing, I usually enjoy it or at least enjoy the fact that I'm exercising.

exmmmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
When we lived in Chiapas, Mexico I hit my limit on cold, wet weather. San Cristobal de la Casas is in a mountain valley at 7200 feet. Between an unusually cool winter and a couple of passing tropical storms I maxed out and told the wife I needed someplace a bit warmer and drier. She agreed. It was just a bit too much depressing there.

So we moved to Lake Chapala. 5000+ feet and the rainy season is mostly night-time rains. Lots of sunny, mild days.

That's the really nice thing about minimalism -- if it's too warm, move north, and vice-versa. Similar to when we were RV'ing.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
There is no way I could handle that.

I grew up in Florida, fifteen minutes from the beach... with abundant sunshine and plenty of greenery that stayed green year-round. I didn't really 'do the beach thing' often at all, but it's easy to underestimate just how much a daily commute past the Bayfront, or being able to take a sunset walk on the beach, or walking/biking over the island bridges does for your mood.

Then I went to college in Maryland. HATED the gray dreariness of winter.... brown grass, leafless trees, and clouds for days on end. Spent the winter months depressed, homesick, and not wanting to leave my dorm room. Transferred home to a FL state school after a year and a half... the weather wasn't the only reason, but it was definitely a big factor.

After 7 more years in Florida (finishing college, working a bit, then grad school), I apparently forgot my hatred of winter and came to the foothills of NC. The first few years were tolerable due to the novelty, a schedule that allowed lots of mountain daytrips, etc but, after 10 years, the novelty has worn off. I hate winter with all my heart. It doesn't get that cold, but the gray skies and lack of green plants just kills me.

My husband grew up here and doesn't want to move, but has agreed to consider it in a few years. I started using a happy light and taking vitamin D this year.... I'm less suicidal than previous winters but still far from happy. Just trying to hang in there until spring.

So I check FL real estate listings at least once a day and hope that I can someday sucker him into moving. This year, we're spending a total of 3 weeks in Florida between various family visits (3/4 of my husband's vacation time!), so at least there's that to look forward to.

Gloomy weather seriously sucks.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 06:24:54 AM by startingsmall »

NESailor

• Bristles
Yikes!  We've been talking about this a bit since we live in upstate NY - the real upstate that's practically Canada, not 1 hr north of the city upstate.  Forecast for tomorrow is 10F with windchills in the negatives.  :D

I could do without that.  Anything above 20F is OK, though.  Snow is also fine, it's fun to play in.  What I do not like is cloudy/wet/muddy periods.  We've had summers that were pretty crappy and shoulder seasons that also sucked.  As long as the precipitation comes frozen and there is enough sunshine I'm good with this area.

The Adirondacks can be breathtaking in any season so my biggest issue isn't necessarily that we have many days of bad weather/year.  It's that many of the good days get wasted in the office.  Say it's 75F sunny, dry, and not too windy.  I could be out on the lake, hiking, biking, playing soccer, mountain biking - you name it.  The energy and happiness boost is immeasurable.  As it stands - I have to hope that these nice days line up with my weekends/time off.  Sure, a nice day is a pick me up even if I'm at the office (I at least have a large window with a view) but the net happiness gain is lower.  FI can't come soon enough! 

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
That's hilarious - I saw the title and the first thing I thought was "Are they in Vancouver?". It's been a BRUTAL winter. I did a tropical vacation to Thailand in January, and the excitement leading up to it, plus fond memories afterwards of warmth and clear skies and swimming in waterfalls has been sustaining me.

I don't really have anything to say to help. When Vancouver is good, it's amazing, but when it sucks, holy shit.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
I have family in Seattle. Lovely city in the summer, but there was a stretch of years where I would always visit around Thanksgiving or Christmas instead of the summer which is a huge mistake. One year, I was there two and half weeks around Christmas. Didn't see the sun once the entire trip. That seriously affects me, so I know for certain that I could not live in the PNW year-round and be happy. Too bad, because I like most other things about that part of the world.

myrrh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Come to New Mexico, where people go outside or to the windows to watch the rain because it's such a rare occurrence! :P I think it would seriously depress me to live somewhere that doesn't get a break from the clouds, because I remember vacationing in a spot where there were clouds/rain for a solid week and I was seriously missing the sun and blue skies and getting sad about it.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
I have family in Seattle. Lovely city in the summer, but there was a stretch of years where I would always visit around Thanksgiving or Christmas instead of the summer which is a huge mistake. One year, I was there two and half weeks around Christmas. Didn't see the sun once the entire trip. That seriously affects me, so I know for certain that I could not live in the PNW year-round and be happy. Too bad, because I like most other things about that part of the world.

My husband is from the PNW and misses it terribly, but I would have an extremely difficult time living there, though it is so beautiful that I wish I could hack it. But I have serious SAD and need a lot of bright light. I didn't realize how much my mood was affected until I moved away from the Great Lakes area (also cloudy) to Arizona for college, and then back again for a couple years. Yikes. I've ruled out several potential job opportunities/moves purely on this basis.

TreesBikesLove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
As a native Oregonian and PDX resident this whole thread is music to my ears! Move back to Cali and be happy; I'll keep enjoying the lush forests, beautiful hiking, clean rivers, and nearly-private beaches. The smell of rain is one of my top ten joys in life and like the Norwegian in this thread said, "There is no bad weather... only bad weather gear."

It takes all sorts to make up our human culture and I am thankful that there are climates for every type of person.

pudding

• Bristles
That's hilarious - I saw the title and the first thing I thought was "Are they in Vancouver?". It's been a BRUTAL winter. I did a tropical vacation to Thailand in January, and the excitement leading up to it, plus fond memories afterwards of warmth and clear skies and swimming in waterfalls has been sustaining me.

I don't really have anything to say to help. When Vancouver is good, it's amazing, but when it sucks, holy shit.

Yes when its good it's amazing and when it sucks it sucks...  I become this whiney bastard each year, and try as I do I just end up that way.

What Vancouver is like to me is this; Imagine you were single and you met this most gorgeous attractive and fun women/man, they were so much fun and beautiful that you were thinking that this is it... everything I want in one person..   well thats Vancouver in summer

And then around November this person started to get moody and then started to turn nasty, by January you've decided they're an abusive sort and my march they've just worn you out  Thats winter in Vancouver

Then in March you're just about to pack up leave this physically stunning nut job with the huge mood swings that you met last summer, when suddenly you see a glimmer of hope.. the nice person seems to be coming back, the fun one that you met last July.... so you stick around because , hey how can you leave this beauty.

Then its June and you're thinking 'hey it's not to bad, maybe it was it was just a one off' and its all great again and happy happy times all summer long.

Then of course it all happens again next November and year in year out.

Funny you mention Thailand, I was looking at pictures of my own trip there last night, had a fun trip there a few years back.
I'll go again though it's a long trip.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
I think my annual winter vacations to hot places are absolutely critical to my sanity while living here. A couple of other things that help are keeping my apartment really warm, cozy, and inviting through the winter, minimizing errand-running as much as possible, and keeping lots of fun indoor activities on hand at home - crosswords, books, video games. I also try to cook lots of very hearty foods, and do a lot of baking.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
Part of my desire to FIRE is to get the hell out of Louisiana.   It rains constantly, everything bites you and the heat is unbearable half the time.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
It's strange how different the weather can be when you move somewhere new. I used to live in mountains that got very, very cold and snowy in the winter. Now I live close to the ocean and the temperature usually doesn't drop all that low. It's weird, though, because sometimes the temperature will change 40 degrees F within the same day here.

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
As a native Oregonian and PDX resident this whole thread is music to my ears! Move back to Cali and be happy; I'll keep enjoying the lush forests, beautiful hiking, clean rivers, and nearly-private beaches. The smell of rain is one of my top ten joys in life and like the Norwegian in this thread said, "There is no bad weather... only bad weather gear."

It takes all sorts to make up our human culture and I am thankful that there are climates for every type of person.

Or they can (continue to) go just over the mountains to Bend and have great sunny weather and access to all those good things...

CanuckStache

• Stubble
Jump to Victoria. While we're no stranger to rain, we don't get nearly as much as Vancouver or Seattle does.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
My DH has a post FIRE wish to spend a whole year up in the very north of Norway. There sill be midnight sun and eternal night for m8nths at the time. He sais there are periods of dylight without sun in Januari and when you are a pensioner, you can make a trip in those few hours. I gave said yes, as it would be an interesting experience for a year. But I think it will be challenging. Blizards can also be really bad in winter.

goateeman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
They'd have to pay me $1 million per year to put up with crappy weather.  I'd gladly make less and live somewhere sunny and nice most of the year.

pudding

• Bristles
Yesterday was a bit sunny for half the day, I was outside in it and sure felt good to feel the sun.

Today from morning to night it has just pissed it down with constant heavy rain and grey clouds.  I slept until 10am and then fell asleep again this afternoon, gets me that way when its raining and dark.

Next winter I'm not sitting in this weather for half the year.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Yesterday was a bit sunny for half the day, I was outside in it and sure felt good to feel the sun.

Today from morning to night it has just pissed it down with constant heavy rain and grey clouds.  I slept until 10am and then fell asleep again this afternoon, gets me that way when its raining and dark.

Next winter I'm not sitting in this weather for half the year.

Vancouver today seriously sucked. It was dry in the morning when I walked to ballet class, but POURING an hour and a half later when I was walking home, and I didn't have an umbrella. Haven't left the apartment since I got back - just cooking a lot, doing some chores, and doing crosswords. Probably play some video games later. I'm so done with this winter. I think this is the shittiest winter I've lived through here in 12 years.

We're having a Mustachian Meetup next weekend for any Vancouverites interested in getting out of the rain. It's at my place in Gastown. Snack-potluck and tax discussion.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Ha! I live in Northern California. This year we've had enough rain to end our seven-year drought. We've had dam breaks, hundred-year flooding, trees falling, mudslides, accidental drownings and all manner of bad things, but hey, we needed the water.

I feel your pain. If the winter we've experienced is a fraction of what you get every.damn.winter, I do not know how you can stand it. My hat is off to you, sir.

On the other hand, we own some nice rental properties in Palm Desert, CA (SoCal)... We love snowbirds! Just kidding; they are not seasonal rentals, but you Canadians sure help keep the local economy afloat in the sunny, shiny desert winter.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
Sounds amazing, this summer has been brutal on east coast of qld (Australia)- I'm so over 100F+ humid AF days. You're constantly covered in a light sheen of sweat. I'd kill for a good thunderstorm!!!

krustyburger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Sounds amazing, this summer has been brutal on east coast of qld (Australia)- I'm so over 100F+ humid AF days. You're constantly covered in a light sheen of sweat. I'd kill for a good thunderstorm!!!

Yeah it was the worst summer I've seen in queensland, no good storms to break the humidity for weeks on end.
But the winter makes up for it, perfect sunny 20C days for months

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
But the winter makes up for it, perfect sunny 20C days for months

That is what we call a good summer. :-)

Acorns

• Stubble
I also live in a place where it rains allllllll winter long as and usually by April or May I'm ready to throw in the towel and move somewhere else. I have decided that when we retire we will do a month or two every winter someplace warmer - San Diego, Hawaii, Thailand - don't know yet, but months and months of rain can be very depressing. Every year in the fall, I can almost convinced myself that I actually like the rain, and it's kind of nice to have cold weather during the holidays - bundle up by a fire, drinking chocolate, go skiing, etc, but by January I am ready to be done. A couple years ago it was still cold and rainy in June and I remember wearing a wool sweater on Father's Day!

pudding

• Bristles
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=weather+vancouver&*

This weather forecast link probably changes day to day.  But as of March 13th shows 8 big old rainy days ahead for us! I'm sat here with my little sun lamp thingy thinking it's not really doing anything..... I'm so done with 6 months of rain and snow.

Looking at peoples posts here I think I see how it is for us humans and it's not a lot different than plants... some need full sun, some partial shade and some need shade and lots of rain.

Myself I'm a needs sun but partial shade kind of thing ;)  But I'm currently in the shade and rain, maybe even in a bog.

http://gardeningwithconfidence.com/blog/2013/04/25/sun-part-sun-shade-part-shade/

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
This discussion really got me looking at FIRE locations, and let me to this via Google search. Spain is looking pretty good, and I speak the language lol.

https://medium.com/@BambouClub/which-city-has-the-best-climate-in-the-world-355e013e9e95#.a2djk0iyw

http://www.400cities.com/

pudding

• Bristles
This discussion really got me looking at FIRE locations, and let me to this via Google search. Spain is looking pretty good, and I speak the language lol.

https://medium.com/@BambouClub/which-city-has-the-best-climate-in-the-world-355e013e9e95#.a2djk0iyw

Thanks, it's an interesting read!

Samuel

• Pencil Stache

Well as a lifelong Seattleite I can tell you it has been an abnormally cold and soggy winter in Seattle, especially compared to the last couple winters that were fairly mild.

February had the most recorded rain since 1961, which was the 2nd most since they started keeping records in the 1940's. October set a new rain record. We've had only 9 days sunny days (30% or less cloud cover) since October 1st (average is 15). And only 3 of those days had temperatures above 40 degrees. We've also seen twice the average amount of snow. So it's a legit topic for the newspaper...

But who cares. Being a Seattleite means you just put on hooded jacket and do what you were going to do anyways.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
OP should change username to Puddling

/out

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
Did you live here in 2013 2014 2015 or 2016 ???
We were beyond spoilt the last 3 years and finally we got rain and snow this year.
I LOVE it and we are spoilt with one of the most beautiful places to live in North America, that lush green forest and beautiful landscape comes at the price of rain.
I should mention that we probably don't get as bad of weather on the east side of the island as you do in VanCity

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
A friend moved to Seattle and she loved not seeing the sun and lives in her apartment with curtains so the sun never comes in.

I lived in Seattle and for the first time in my life thought of suicide. And at that time, it was supposedly the #1 suicidal capital of US. I stayed a little over a year and had to get out.

I don't think it's a happenstance that grunge music was born in the Seattle area. The whole woe is me, life is fucked up, can be summed up by the shitty weather. There's a reason why demographic population studies show there's a movement from cold states to warmer areas.

pudding

• Bristles
A friend moved to Seattle and she loved not seeing the sun and lives in her apartment with curtains so the sun never comes in.

I lived in Seattle and for the first time in my life thought of suicide. And at that time, it was supposedly the #1 suicidal capital of US. I stayed a little over a year and had to get out.

I don't think it's a happenstance that grunge music was born in the Seattle area. The whole woe is me, life is fucked up, can be summed up by the shitty weather. There's a reason why demographic population studies show there's a movement from cold states to warmer areas.

Yep, no kidding... before here I lived in Manchester England which is also full of shoegazing bands, rains all the time there too!  Coincidence??     You don't hear many sad songs about sunshine  but I know of plenty about rain. :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache

<...>

Maybe your friend is a vampire?

pudding

• Bristles

<...>

Maybe your friend is a vampire?

Ssshhh its a sectret

twojabs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
This is exactly how i feel in Scotland....
... and we have Brexit and Indyref2 to contend with :(

Give my head peace!!

simmias

• Stubble

If you can't handle North Carolina's weather, I don't know what to tell you.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
The blog writer poo pooed North Carolina but I lived in Chapel Hill and then in Morrisville and loved the weather.

Channel-Z

• Stubble
I don't think it's the rain that struck me whenever I would visit places like Oregon or Washington, it was the clouds that hung so low one felt close enough to touch them. And it seemed that way every day. There's a reason Seattle and Manchester produced so many good bands-- gloomy weather.

I grew up in, and still live in Kansas. I could say a lot of bad things, but at least the weather is interesting. Two days ago the high temperature was around 25 (F). Today it was 70. Ten days ago we had tornadoes. Five days ago we had snow. We had a mild winter overall, which I enjoyed. I grow less tolerant of snow every year, not so much for the cold it brings, but because I hate driving in it.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Today was not a bad day. I didn't get rained on either walking to work OR walking home, and I took advantage of the dryness to get in a Costco run. I do those by foot, so an absence of rain is a lot more pleasant.

Facebook has been trolling me. One year ago today, you were doing this awesome hike! Look how sunny and nice it was!

pudding

• Bristles
I worked outside today, rained a bit but wasn't to bad.  The lighter night is welcome...

my sister still lives close to Manchester and hates the long rainy winter as much as I do. She's booked a month trip to India next boxing day... sounds like a good idea

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
With the light change I am now practicing forcing myself outside every day after work for at least 1 hour.  It has been great.  Two long walks and a MTB ride.  I can smell summer!!

I have been doing this in the weekends, but during the week I find it challenging, as the roads around my house are still so icy. I went on a little walk in the half-snowy forest 2 days ago which was good. After Easter I hope the roads are clean enough that I can start running (run/walk) to work. My condition has been deteriorating in the past year and it is time to build up again. Just training in the weekend like I do now is not sufficient. Although it is good for my mood when the weather is good.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!