Author Topic: I'm sad and I think only MMM people will understand why  (Read 33170 times)

C-note

• Stubble
Re: I'm sad and I think only MMM people will understand why
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2017, 07:33:07 PM »
Wrapped straws.  My mom bought a box at Sam's, used 5 or 6, and gave the rest to me.  We're still trying to use them up 15 years later.

OP - Hilarious!  You'll probably never be able to look at a trash bag again without feelings of resentment for costing you hard-earned money.

elledub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2017, 08:18:43 PM »
Great post!

My work bought new toilet paper. Everyone complained it was too thin and not soft enough. They bought a new fluffier brand. Nobody wanted the old cheap stuff so I took it home. It lasted 5 years!

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2017, 08:36:36 PM »
Mint Scented Trash Citadels will be the name of my lower mid-tier prog metal band.  :D

Mint Scented Trash Citadels will be the name of my housing development project.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2017, 01:23:25 AM »
Great thread. 
Years ago my bank's credit card gave its rewards in vouchers for Marks & Spencers - which in those days was THE store to buy underwear in the UK.  DW and I got all our underwear for free for about a decade.  When the deal stopped we were outraged. 'What do you mean I have to PAY for underwear?!'

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2017, 06:12:20 AM »
My Dad got a couple of huge boxes of matches when his office closed in the late 90s. They still haven't run out yet, and they still work.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2017, 09:08:23 AM »
I've never paid for garbage bags as an adult.

We use a smaller graben bin that will perfectly fit disposable shopping bags. i highly recommend it. We use one normal size supermarket style shopping bag every 3-4 days on average.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2017, 09:43:36 AM »
Marks & Spencers - which in those days was THE store to buy underwear in the UK. 

My sisters and I still remember our M&S underwear from the year we lived in England--1972.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2017, 10:37:19 AM »

We use a smaller graben bin that will perfectly fit disposable shopping bags. i highly recommend it. We use one normal size supermarket style shopping bag every 3-4 days on average.

This worked really well for me. Until I moved to Seattle, where the flimsy plastic bags are illegal, and the sturdy plastic bags cost a couple bucks. Frugality foiled by the environmentalist! My mustachian soul hardly knows what to think when such fundamental underpinnings are in conflict. Cry for me, ye citizens :(

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2017, 11:37:16 AM »
I worked at Heinz for years, and on my last week a coworker made sure I left with a fresh case of ketchup.  So for all those years, plus about a year after I didn't ever buy ketchup.  Now I get a bit indignant every time I have to buy ketchup at the store.

Classical_Liberal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2017, 11:51:55 AM »

Give a man a garbage bag and he is happy for a week. Teach him to live without garbage bags and he's happy for a lifetime. 

FIT_Goat

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2017, 02:17:21 PM »
I use a safety razor, and a couple years ago I needed blades. I want on Amazon and saw a deal for 20 blades that cost only $8. The reviews were good and they were cheap, compared to buying a pack of 10 at the local drugstore. So, I bought them without too much thought. I didn't read carefully. It was 20 PACKS of 5 blades each. I ended up with 100 blades. At the time, I had a goatee and only shaved my cheeks and neck. So a blade would last a couple months. Basically, it was a lifetime worth of blades.

Now I am with the fire department and I have to shave my whole face, daily. We moved over the summer and I had 5 blades in the bathroom stuff. The rest were in a box in the garage. Since we moved, I haven't been able to find the box. I looked everywhere. I stretched my remaining blades as much as I could. But this week, I finally conceded defeat and bought another 100 blade for $9 on Amazon (different brand but similar deal). It hurt me, inside, to buy them when I knew I had a bunch somewhere. The blades get delivered today.

This morning, my mother-in-law came out of the garage with MY razor blades. They had been packed in one of her boxes (she moved in with us, which is why we moved in the first place) during the move. That is why I couldn't find them. There was still 90 blades left. This means I have 190 razor blades. It should last me 10 to 15 years, even shaving daily, at the rate I use them. And that is if I never tolerate even a slightly dull blade (just replace it every 2 to 3 weeks).

I am so sad about wasting that $9 though. LOL

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2017, 03:47:24 PM »
Maybe if I curl up into the fetal position and surround myself with my remaining free items (shop-vac, work bench vice, 20lbs ABC fire extinguisher, a box of pens, 1 stapler and 7500 staples) I'll find some comfort

Great post, and great haul!

You may want to check the fire extinguisher's age.  Depending on the type, they're good for 5-15 years.

If it is expired or you no longer trust it, don't just throw it out!

Find a good location for a small fire. I use my back yard fire pit. Ignite fire.

Time for Fire Extinguisher Practice! Bring your wife! Bring the kids! Bring a water hose!

Benefits:
1) Improved skillset. Novices usually blow the majority of the extinguisher before they even get any on the fire.  I as a trained practitioner have put out an ~6'x20' grass fire with a single 5 lb dry chemical extinguisher. I've had official training 4 times, solo training a few times and 2 real grass fires.

2) Safer disposal. Can't just throw a pressurized container like that in the garbage or recycling bin

3) Fertilizer. Most dry chemical extinguishers are actually one fertilizer or another. Ammonium phosphate and/or ammonium sulfate are common.

4) Fun!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2017, 03:48:19 PM »
On topic, my dad is like this with industrial sized boxes of foam ear plugs. Ends up with a lifetime supply after various engineering projects are finished. I always snaffle a few pairs for flights, motorsport, etc.

I buy them in bulk because I sleep in them. They're so cheap that I've gotten in the habit of
keeping a handful in my bag, and I give them away at concerts when it's loud and someone didn't think to bring earplugs. Good karma for ten cents. This week I gave some to a seven-year-old girl with a stupid and irresponsible parent.

I read this and my mental picture was someone sleeping IN earplugs. A giant bed of ear plugs. A bumpy bed of ear plugs. Hmmm...that was unexpected. Then, sanity kicked in, and I realized that you sleep WITH THEM in your ears. Then I was sad, because the bed of ear plugs was funnier.

Bolded for emphasis. I was totally picturing something like an old waterbed frame filled with earplugs.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2017, 05:29:13 PM »
FWIW, yes, fire extinguishers do expire.  Ask my mom, who came home from a trip to discover a teeeensy hole in her ceiling and the entire first floor coated in 1/16" of oily yellowish powder.

5 people scrubbing x 2 solid days + detailed professional cleaning and I'm still not confident it is all gone. 

Tl;dr:  Don't fuck with expiration dates.

Classical_Liberal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2017, 06:03:05 PM »

Unless its food.  Then its probably OK if it smells & tastes fine.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2017, 06:41:08 PM »
When a government contactor I worked for lost the contract to another company, my co-workers and I had permission to almost loot the place. I got 15 boxes of tissues, a bunch of cleaning supplies, and my personal favorite, some Christmas tree ornaments. I'm a pretty big Scrooge but my husband wanted a tree, so it gave me much pleasure to bring home the ornaments and two strings of white LED lights.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2017, 09:01:59 PM »
My buddy works at the kitty litter plant. I haven't bought Andy in 5 years. I ran out once and had to go buy some... I figured no big deal... I about flipped. Needless to say I had him lay in some more dented boxes. My friends all make fun of me. We will see who laughs when they are 67 years old and still working to buy more fancy trinkets! Sorry to hear about your loss!

This is amazing! I'd love a free kitty litter hook up,  that shit is expensive!

We have 2 large boxes of AA batteries courtesy of my finances grandpa who probably had 15 boxes when he passed away. I think he bought them whenever he saw them on sale 😀. So we have probably 50 batteries from him and we've used... maybe 2 in the past year.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 09:14:21 PM by Megma »

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2017, 10:48:42 PM »
I work in a theater. Microphones get fresh batteries for every performance, no matter what.  There's a bin of used batteries we keep around for rehearsals, but when it get's full we all take boxes of batteries home.  I haven't purchased a AA in 10 years.  And then I signed up for the last Costco living social deal.  One of the coupons was for a free case of AA batteries.  I'm set for life.

Also... it's taken me 2.5 years to get through a costco package of TP I got for free from a different living social deal.  I'm betting I get another two months out of it before I have to go back to buying TP.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2017, 06:34:50 AM »

Good point.  Let me fix that:

Tl;dr:  Don't fuck with expiration dates for things that can blow up.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2017, 06:58:15 AM »
My bosses, retired mother loves to knit dishcloths. Well one day it came up in discussion when she was visiting the office that I love knitted dishcloths and mittens. So now she sends me about ten clothes each year at Christmas and a set of mittens.

She wants no payment for them and won't accept return gifts (because she says she is too old for stuff) She only knows how to knit these two items, doesn't care to learn anything else but has to have something to do with her hands. I gather she gives away quite a few of them.

I use a rotating collection of maybe 5 dishcloths, as I wash them frequently and in the last SIX years I have worn out 4 cloths that I moved to my cleaning rags pile.

I have knitted dishcloths in spades (and I have even given some away) but I also recognize that she is elderly and eventually there will be no more gifts, so I hoard them a little because I love the cloths and more importantly I think their story is amusing and their maker a real spitfire.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2017, 07:03:32 AM »

Whew. Just checking ;-)  Some people take frugality past the point of no return...

You mean like when my wife said, "just fill my water glass (4oz) half full because I don't drink it all".
 Then on another occasion when I filled it, she said don't dump that, 2ozs left, put it in this pan, I'll cook my oatmeal with it in the morning.
  Is that what you mean by,  "take frugality past the point of no return"? :-|
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 07:16:45 AM by BTDretire »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2017, 07:36:40 AM »
Mint Scented Trash Citadels will be the name of my lower mid-tier prog metal band.  :D

Mint Scented Trash Citadels will be the name of my housing development project.
I used to play bass for Mint Scented Trash Citadels.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2017, 07:53:46 AM »

Whew. Just checking ;-)  Some people take frugality past the point of no return...

You mean like when my wife said, "just fill my water glass (4oz) half full because I don't drink it all".
 Then on another occasion when I filled it, she said don't dump that, 2ozs left, put it in this pan, I'll cook my oatmeal with it in the morning.
  Is that what you mean by,  "take frugality past the point of no return"? :-|

Your wife, BTD, is a treasure.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2017, 08:16:30 AM »
Bwahaha i love it!

exterous

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2017, 02:26:41 PM »
I completely understand and I can't believe someone else has actually had this experience.  I worked for a company for 24 years.  I was with them on day one when they opened and I supervised cleaning out the office when they closed.  I took home a bunch of stuff from the office supply closet that they were going to throw out and there was a box of garbage bags.  (I also donated a lot to the office of our local Boys & Girls Club which was nice to be able to do.)   They were small.  Something I used in the bathroom/bedroom/home office.  And the box lasted about 2 1/2 years.  The day I took the last one was so strange.  I spent a lot of time thinking about that company, the great work we did and the people I worked with.  It was very sad.  I totally get where you're coming from.

Ha - I think thats pretty cool that someone else has had a similar experience but not necessarily that we both worked for companies that went out of business

I get it.  If i were not in a committed relationship already i would immediately propose marriage, assuming you are my preferred gender, and even if not we might be a perfect sort of odd couple.  Ill call if i ever become single.

"How did you two meet?"
"Well you see there was this post about trash bags...."
:)

carrborette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2017, 03:16:34 PM »
This is hilarious! The closest I have is when we finally go through all of the frozen fruit that we pick in the summer and fall (cherries, raspberries, saskatoons, etc.). What do you mean I have to PAY for frozen fruit! My goal is to make it full circle and we seem to be getting closer every year.

I also recently inherited copious amounts of gift wrap when we moved my grandmother to a smaller place. I don't think I give enough gifts to go through it in my lifetime! Perhaps I will have to find a local Buy Nothing group or something. I'll feel like quite a chump if I EVER pay for gift wrap again, though, believe me.

I am with you on this! When I run out of frozen-blueberries-I-picked (or strawberries) I am always shocked by the cost of frozen berries from the store. Cherries and raspberries aren't local for me though!

SirSavesaLot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2017, 12:21:32 AM »
Maybe if I curl up into the fetal position and surround myself with my remaining free items (shop-vac, work bench vice, 20lbs ABC fire extinguisher, a box of pens, 1 stapler and 7500 staples) I'll find some comfort

I sure hope that was a red Swingline.

This is an awesome post/thread.  I totally feel your pain.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2017, 09:30:16 AM »

You may want to check the fire extinguisher's age.  Depending on the type, they're good for 5-15 years.

Find a good location for a small fire. I use my back yard fire pit. Ignite fire.

Time for Fire Extinguisher Practice! Bring your wife! Bring the kids! Bring a water hose!

Benefits:
1) Improved skillset. Novices usually blow the majority of the extinguisher before they even get any on the fire.  I as a trained practitioner have put out an ~6'x20' grass fire with a single 5 lb dry chemical extinguisher. I've had official training 4 times, solo training a few times and 2 real grass fires.

2) Safer disposal. Can't just throw a pressurized container like that in the garbage or recycling bin

3) Fertilizer. Most dry chemical extinguishers are actually one fertilizer or another. Ammonium phosphate and/or ammonium sulfate are common.

4) Fun!

You can also fill it 1/2 with water and then pressurize it with an air compressor (back flow through the nozzle) and win at ALL the water gun wars.... Watch the gauge so you don't over pressurize it. I've never had one blow up but don't complain to me if it does... ;)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:32:47 AM by Tasty Pinecones »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2017, 11:42:56 AM »
My former MIL was a passive aggressive, judgemental troll. She decided early on that I was dirty because I don't shower daily. For every birthday and christmas for 7 years she gifted  me soap. Regular bar soap.

Eight years ago her child and I parted ways permanently. I took the soap when I moved out on my own.

I'm about halfway done the soap collection. I project that it will last another decade or so. Longer if I become even filthier.

I had a big soap-and-lotion collection for a while because I have eczema, and people think that what you really need with itchy dermatitis is fancier soaps and lotions, and constantly using new products to make sure you never know exactly what is triggering your reaction. (PSA: No.) I ended up donating it to someone at a women's shelter. If I end up with a new collection I can send it to you ;-)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2017, 02:08:19 PM »
My former MIL was a passive aggressive, judgemental troll. She decided early on that I was dirty because I don't shower daily. For every birthday and christmas for 7 years she gifted  me soap. Regular bar soap.

Eight years ago her child and I parted ways permanently. I took the soap when I moved out on my own.

I'm about halfway done the soap collection. I project that it will last another decade or so. Longer if I become even filthier.

I had a big soap-and-lotion collection for a while because I have eczema, and people think that what you really need with itchy dermatitis is fancier soaps and lotions, and constantly using new products to make sure you never know exactly what is triggering your reaction. (PSA: No.) I ended up donating it to someone at a women's shelter. If I end up with a new collection I can send it to you ;-)

I'd like to include a plug for the (Australian) charity The Beauty Bank. They collect cosmetics and toiletries for women escaping domestic violence. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2017, 02:28:56 PM »
I feel you.

Several years ago DH cleaned out a house as part of his handyman business and he brought home several boxes of trash gags. They were an odd size, wide but not deep, and I can see why someone left them behind.

But we made them work and had free trash bags for 3 years.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2017, 03:22:08 PM »

Ha... I was going to type something gross but there are many females in this forum.

Okay, okay, I'll go hide in shame now...

You clearly haven't spent time in my journal if you think the women of this forum need their delicate ears protected.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2017, 05:41:39 PM »

Ha... I was going to type something gross but there are many females in this forum.

Okay, okay, I'll go hide in shame now...

You clearly haven't spent time in my journal if you think the women of this forum need their delicate ears protected.

Yeah, this.  ;-)

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2017, 11:41:32 PM »
This is hilarious! The closest I have is when we finally go through all of the frozen fruit that we pick in the summer and fall (cherries, raspberries, saskatoons, etc.). What do you mean I have to PAY for frozen fruit! My goal is to make it full circle and we seem to be getting closer every year.

You guys!! I did it. Used the last of the frozen cherries from last summer a few days ago and now raspberries are in full swing. No frozen fruit has been bought. The second freezer has been plugged in again and is ready to work hard storing our urban harvest. Woot!

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2017, 06:12:12 AM »
Totally get it.  I used to travel all the time for work and basically had a giant stockpile of soap, shampoo and conditioner.  It lasted me 2 years after I changed jobs.  Was SO sad the first time I actually had to buy a bottle of shampoo.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2017, 08:36:01 AM »

Sounds like my wife...we have a bucket in the shower to capture cold water until it gets hot, then use it to flush the toilet for no 1s.  Now granted, we live in California under a drought, so gov brown approves.  We could put those 2 oz to good use.

If it's Brown, flush it down!...

Lepetitange3

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2017, 02:30:36 PM »
Love this.

Am I the only one wondering if the dish rag gifting lady is willing to ship to random strangers?  I'm totally down.

Also the Navy already killed off my delicate lady ears ;) so you're too late there.

twojabs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2017, 04:25:17 PM »
if i can add my 2p.

we recently finished a bottle of fairy dishwasher liquid we've had for roughly 6.5 years.

this was a sad day for me.  apart from being frugal with it, we have a dishwasher so its not like we live on paper plates etc.  its just sad knowing that bottle of green friendliness is gone :(

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2017, 04:36:59 PM »

Benefits:

4) Fun!

Dang - You're a genius!

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2017, 04:40:17 PM »
I work in a theater. Microphones get fresh batteries for every performance, no matter what.  There's a bin of used batteries we keep around for rehearsals, but when it get's full we all take boxes of batteries home.  I haven't purchased a AA in 10 years.  And then I signed up for the last Costco living social deal.  One of the coupons was for a free case of AA batteries.  I'm set for life.
Theater should probably switch to good high-capacity NiMH rechargeable cells with chargers that can assess the capacity of each cell (so they can weed out any weak ones). NiMH cells stay close 1.2V until they are nearly fully discharged, so they work much better for many electronics than alkaline cells which drop from 1.5V to less than 1V over their useful charge. Great website fore NiMH battery infromation: http://michaelbluejay.com/batteries/nimh-brands.html

Alkaline batteries leak if stored for long periods of time, so your "lifetime" supply will expire ~5 years after you are no longer associated with the theater regardless of how many you have drained. At this point, I'd turn down a case of free alkaline batteries; they'd likely provide me no utility, then become a disposal problem when they start leaking after their expiration date. I've decided to use NiMH for all my AA and AAA battery needs.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2017, 05:34:11 PM »
My first job in Iowa used Banner pages on the printer. I was at that company for 5 years and saved the majority of them because we didn't have recycling in the printer room so I would take all my banner Pages back and then I would give them to my sister for her kids to use for coloring and I would keep some for me to use for printing for anything that was just household use.. It's now 10 years later and I'm still printing on Banner pages from that job. My current job doesn't use them so if I ever run out of paper I don't know what I'll do

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2017, 11:40:18 PM »
Today is a very sad day. I knew it was coming. I could see it and have been dreading this day for months. You see it all started 8 years ago when the company I worked for went out of business. Well one day the owner opened the janitor's closet and told the small, remaining group of us to take what we wanted. None of my other soon to be ex-coworkers seemed to be interested in much of what was in there but I grabbed a fair bit of odds and ends. The real prize ended up being the 4 large boxes of trash bags. At the time I had no idea how many they held. Well, they held 8 years worth.

And now they are all gone. I have to go out and buy trash bags and it makes me sad. And bewildered. I have sat content in my cocoon of ignorance surrounding the myriad of expensive flex force, multi pull string, scented bags and now have to figure out where on the line between 'ultra cheap but rips if you drop your helium filled balloons in the bag' and 'carbon nanotube reinforced, bluetooth enabled, mint scented trash citadels' I'll be happy.

I tried to explain my despair at having to spend money on something new to my friends but they didn't seem to get it.

Was it a red Swingline stapler?

I know this sadness of which you speak.  A prior employer went out of business and I got a free HP Laserjet printer (with toner!).  Never had to even get toner.  Sadly, it broke one day...

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2017, 11:56:26 PM »
I dunno, I've got some pretty fucking delicate little lady-ears.

snacky, you are a treasure :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2017, 05:39:17 AM »
I dunno, I've got some pretty fucking delicate little lady-ears.

snacky, you are a treasure :)
Indeed.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2017, 12:11:13 PM »
This is a fabulous thread. I got a load of free socks from work one time. Didn't buy socks for three or four years. The first sock purchase after that was...kind of weird. Just...all the options.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2017, 01:19:03 PM »
I got a lifetime supply of business sized envelopes at my last job.  I think it's a box of 1000.  I've used a few so far.  I hope to never buy a letter or business sized envelope again.

I also have a box of printer paper that was given to me, so I aim to never buy that again either.

I know of one guy who got the Costco roll of plastic wrap in the divorce.  I believe it was about 10 years after the divorce that he used it up and felt like all ties were finally cut, lol.

Damn. That's a helluva long time to get closure on the divorce. And on the plastic wrap.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »
On topic, my dad is like this with industrial sized boxes of foam ear plugs. Ends up with a lifetime supply after various engineering projects are finished. I always snaffle a few pairs for flights, motorsport, etc.

I buy them in bulk because I sleep in them. They're so cheap that I've gotten in the habit of
keeping a handful in my bag, and I give them away at concerts when it's loud and someone didn't think to bring earplugs. Good karma for ten cents. This week I gave some to a seven-year-old girl with a stupid and irresponsible parent.

I read this and my mental picture was someone sleeping IN earplugs. A giant bed of ear plugs. A bumpy bed of ear plugs. Hmmm...that was unexpected. Then, sanity kicked in, and I realized that you sleep WITH THEM in your ears. Then I was sad, because the bed of ear plugs was funnier.

Bolded for emphasis. I was totally picturing something like an old waterbed frame filled with earplugs.

Earplugs. The original memory foam mattress.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2017, 12:42:23 AM »
Trash bags are the worst! I used to use the free plastic grocery bags, but a few years ago my town outlawed them. Paying for something whose literal job is to be thrown away is brutal.

Yup.

What misguided liberal "do-gooder" Hell do you live in that outlawed plastic bags? 

How ridiculous an "environmentalist" must one be to "outlaw" grocery bags that can be reused as trash bags, to force people to buy virgin plastic bags for garbage?

So-called "environmentalists," through their mindless meddling, actually end up increasing the environmental foot print of many of their citizens, while fattening the bottom line of the corporate giants they claim to hate.  Freakin' geniuses!

This kind of stupidity is why, despite over 30-years as an environmental professional (engineer), I will never call myself an "environmentalist"- because most of them think with their heart, not their brain...

-  using grocery bags for trash since 1985 or so.  I have NEVER purchased a trash bag.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2017, 11:56:34 AM »
First, I feel the OP and others on the trash bags and hotel soaps.  We, too, have been the beneficiaries of office trash bags for many years.  I think my husband estimated that we have a 10 year supply.  My MIL is a casino junkie (lord, don't ask . . .), and we ask her to give us the shampoos, conditioners, and soaps she picks up.  Haven't bought that shit in years.

As for the no more plastic grocery bags--meh. Our town put that in place a little over a year ago, and even though we routinely use plastic bags as trash bags (they're perfect for the diaper bin in the kids' room) and compost bags, I feel like we have a never ending supply of those things.  I swear--I half expect to look into the giant bag-of-bags one day and find those things sexually reproducing.  They tend to show up from other people giving us stuff (hand me downs, foodstuffs) or if we end up buying something at a grocery store in another city without our fabric bags.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2017, 06:25:14 AM »
<...>

As for the no more plastic grocery bags--meh. Our town put that in place a little over a year ago, and even though we routinely use plastic bags as trash bags (they're perfect for the diaper bin in the kids' room) and compost bags, I feel like we have a never ending supply of those things.  I swear--I half expect to look into the giant bag-of-bags one day and find those things sexually reproducing.  They tend to show up from other people giving us stuff (hand me downs, foodstuffs) or if we end up buying something at a grocery store in another city without our fabric bags.

Plastic bags do actually not reproduce. I have been very consequent at times to bring cloth grocery bags and to even say no to bags in other kind of stores. And my bag-of-bags has gone empty, except for the undersized and oversized bags. I have actually bought some garbage bags (in very thin plastic) just to have something.