Author Topic: HSA Question  (Read 2081 times)

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
HSA Question
« on: April 04, 2018, 04:04:31 PM »
Hours of research have led me nowhere, so I ask the mob:

I'm on my own health insurance plan through my employer. (HDHP, so I have an HSA)

My wife is on a plan with herself, and our daughter through her employer. (Old-school-awesome-plan, low deductibles, super-low premiums for employee, but not HSA eligible)

For the last few years, I've contributed the max into my HSA for an individual ($3450 this year, for what it's worth). My question is, should I be eligible to contribute the family maximum in my HSA, even though we're on separate plans? $6850 in lieu of $3450? My HSA provider says no, but I don't trust $10/hr customer service reps, usually.

The HSA can be used for spouse and kids and myself for medical/dental, and I've used it successfully to pay for out-of-pocket pregnancy/birth stuff for my wife, even though she's on a different plan. I've also paid for some random medical visits for baby, even though she's on mom's plan. My logic is that if I can use HSA dollars for spouse and kids regardless of whether or not they're on my plan, then I should be able to contribute up to that family rate.

Anyone else deal with this? Usually my google-fu is on point, but I can't find anyone who has gamed the system like this.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: HSA Question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 04:24:18 PM »
You can use HSA funds to pay for medical/dental of your family regardless of plan coverage. But you can only contribute to the HSA up to the level of the people on the plan. So in your case, since you're the only one on the HSA plan, you can only contribute the individual amount.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 04:29:30 PM »
You can use HSA funds to pay for medical/dental of your family regardless of plan coverage. But you can only contribute to the HSA up to the level of the people on the plan. So in your case, since you're the only one on the HSA plan, you can only contribute the individual amount.

Ugh, it grinds my gears. Honestly I wasn't expecting the result to change, but if a lurker or established mustachian magically referred to some obscure verbiage in the HSA code, I'd point to it and ride away with my additional contributions. Oh well.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 06:44:13 PM »
...some obscure verbiage in the HSA code.

Fortunately or unfortunately the verbiage is clear (see 2017 Publication 969 - p969.pdf):
For 2018, if you have self-only HDHP coverage, you can contribute up to $3,450.
and
Qualified medical expenses are those incurred by the following persons.
1. You and your spouse.
2. All dependents you claim on your tax return.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 08:06:41 AM »
And there it is. Thanks MDM.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 09:35:22 AM »
This is a great question - I'm in the same boat. So I learned I can use my HSA for my daughter! Thanks for posting!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!