Author Topic: HSA question  (Read 1090 times)

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
HSA question
« on: March 12, 2020, 08:20:17 AM »
My child was covered by HDHP back in 2015 to 2018 and at that time I maxed out my HSA account at family limit.  Starting in January of 2019 my child was switch from my insurance to their step mom insurance which is not HDHP.  I am still covered by my old insurance and I maxed out my individual HSA account in 2019 and will again in 2020.

During 2015-2018 I had two different HSA accounts at two different banks (changed jobs).  During 2019 my current company changed HSA bank and at one point in July 2019 I had 3 HSA accounts at 3 different banks.  Since then, I consolidated two inactive accounts to Fidelity and still have my current company's HSA account for payroll deductions.  Except for $2,000 cash at my current job's HSA account, everything else in that account and entire Fidelity account are invested.  I pay for my OOP medical expenses from my normal cash flow.  I pay for my child's regular appointment copays $30 also OOP.  I save my medical receipts/invoices for future HSA claims.  I don't bother to do anything with my child's copay since they are so small.  However for the purpose of possibly needed to use HSA funds this year or in the future (saving receipts eligible for reimbursement from HSA) I have this situation.

My child had a very expensive evaluations done in Fall of 2019.  The hospital and provider are in network for child's current insurance (step mom's), however, the hospital told us that this insurance routinely rejects these eval claims from them as "not necessary" or some such bullshit. According to the hospital, the rejection rate is about 90%.  We are still waiting to see what insurance will say on this matter, however, we are prepared to pay for the eval OOP.  The hospital rate for this eval is $4,300, however we will get a 'friends and family' discount on this.  I still don't know the final OOP  price for "family", but I was told that the absolute lowest hospital will accept is $1,800.  So I think if insurance doesn't come through we will end up with somewhere between $1,800 and $2,500 OOP.  If insurance actually agrees to cover this eval, it will cost us $30 copay, but this is a pipe dream.

Now, as a result of this eval, the child will need ongoing weekly/bi-weekly therapy and follow up appointments for some time (6-18 months).  The provider who we will most likely use (for various reasons) does not accept any insurance, so all appointments will have to be paid for in cash and then submitted to insurance for reimbursement. 

My ex-H has contacted insurance to get an idea of how much we can be expected to be reimbursed for these appointment and from what we gathered the reimbursement rate should be fairly reasonable, however until we go to the appointment, pay for it, and get an invoice with medical codes to submit to insurance, we won't know how much we will be reimbursed in the end.   Yes, there are other providers that are in network, however, we will try this one first due to narrow specialty, high recommendations, and other reasons.

At the end of all of this, all OOP medical costs (actual net cash paid for medical expenses including regular copays and such) are split 50-50 between me and my ex-H.  The insurance is under his wife's name.  They will be getting all bills and EOB, which I can get copies of of course. Payment for therapy appointments most likely will be charged to my credit card since I will be there (yey for travel rewards!).  But reimbursements from insurance will be sent to step mom (her name, her address).

The question is, can I reimburse myself for any of these net OOP expenses from my HSA account?  And if yes, which ones?  What documentation should I request/keep for future reimbursements?  As of now, I don't plan to use HSA at all, but I'd like to know if I can save these expenses for future reimbursements and in case I actually need to pull money out of HSA.

Bourbon

• Bristles
Re: HSA question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 08:30:15 AM »
My understanding is that you have to be in an HDHP to contribute to an HSA and can't reimburse for expenses incurred prior to the start of the HSA.

Qualified expenses are medical expenses for you, your spouse and any dependents but they don't necessarily have to be on a HDHP.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p969
For HSA purposes, expenses incurred before you establish your HSA aren’t qualified medical expenses. State law determines when an HSA is established. An HSA that is funded by amounts rolled over from an Archer MSA or another HSA is established on the date the prior account was established.

If, under the last-month rule, you are considered to be an eligible individual for the entire year for determining the contribution amount, only those expenses incurred after you actually establish your HSA are qualified medical expenses.

Qualified medical expenses are those incurred by the following persons.

You and your spouse.
All dependents you claim on your tax return.
Any person you could have claimed as a dependent on your return except that:
The person filed a joint return;
The person had gross income of $4,200 or more; or
You, or your spouse if filing jointly, could be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2019 return.

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 08:32:56 AM »
This random website agrees with me.  In even more complicated scenario with adult child covering themself.

https://hsastore.com/learn/taxes/who-can-i-cover-hsa
Spouses have separate health plans, dependent child covered under university insurance
You and your wife each have coverage through your own employers. You have an HDHP that just covers yourself, while your wife has a non-HDHP for her own coverage. You have a 20-year-old son who is a full-time college student.

He's enrolled in the non-HDHP health insurance plan that his college offers. You and your wife file a joint tax return, and claim your son as a dependent (as long as he's a student, you can claim him as a dependent until he turns 24).

You can contribute $3,500 to your HSA in 2019, since you have self-only HDHP coverage. But you can use the money in your HSA to pay for qualifying medical expenses for yourself, your wife, and your son.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 09:16:33 AM »
So does that mean I can reimburse myself for my child's medical OOP expenses?  What confuses me is that their current insurance is under step mom's name, not even my ex-H, so even last name is different (she didn't take his last name).
I did contributed to the original HSA when my child was covered by my insurance.  But neither Fidelity nor my current employer's HSA accounts "know" that my child was once covered by my plan.

What documents should I keep in all of this?  How do I show proof of being reimbursed by my ex if he just send cash to me via Venmo?

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 10:01:22 AM »
So does that mean I can reimburse myself for my child's medical OOP expenses?  What confuses me is that their current insurance is under step mom's name, not even my ex-H, so even last name is different (she didn't take his last name).
I did contributed to the original HSA when my child was covered by my insurance.  But neither Fidelity nor my current employer's HSA accounts "know" that my child was once covered by my plan.

What documents should I keep in all of this?  How do I show proof of being reimbursed by my ex if he just send cash to me via Venmo?

It's probably worth running the scenario by your HR administrator, but I think as long as you were able to claim them as dependents on your taxes you should be able to use HSA funds for their expenses.   Name etc shouldn't come into play.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 11:27:24 AM »
Oh boy

My HR doesn't know any of this, so he's no help.

As for dependent - I will need to research this.
My ex and I alternate claiming one of the two kids on our tax returns.
in 2018 I claimed the other kid, so in 2019 I was supposed to claim the kid who got eval.  However, he claimed this kid first and filed his tax return, so I ended up claiming the other kid again in 2019.
I am not sure which kid I will be claiming in 2020 though.

This is per our divorce agreement.  Both of them are my dependents and I have primary custody of both of them.  We alternate claiming them because ex is paying child support and therefore they are his dependents as well.

I'll need to figure out who I can consult regarding this.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 11:55:22 AM »
You may be confusing eligibility to contribute to an HSA with eligibility to use the funds.  Based on your details above, the large expenses were from 2019 and 2020 so those are the only two years that matter for your questions. The previous years are not relevant nor is the fact that the child now has insurance under another parent's name with a different last name.  If you are only eligible to contribute the single maximum in these years and are doing so, you have not over-contributed. It also doesn't matter that you consolidated HSAs or switched recordkeepers recently.

In 2019 and 2020, if your child was not your tax dependent, you cannot use your HSA for their qualifying medical expenses. This may differ for each year based on the arrangement between you and your ex, correct? You have to look at each tax year seperately.  Obviously, you both cannot use the same out of pocket medical expenses the same year in full. 

Qualified medical expenses are those incurred by the following persons.
1. You and your spouse.
2. All dependents you claim on your tax return.
3. Any person you could have claimed as a dependent on your return except that:
a. The person filed a joint return;
b. The person had gross income of $4,200 or more; or
c. You, or your spouse if filing jointly, could beclaimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2019 return.

TIP: For this purpose, a child of parents that are divorced, separated, or living apart for the last 6
months of the calendar year is treated as the dependent of both parents whether or not the custodial parent releases the claim to the child’s exemption.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p969.pdf

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!