Author Topic: How to clean stainless steel appliances?  (Read 1435 times)

Queen Frugal

• Stubble
How to clean stainless steel appliances?
« on: November 28, 2020, 01:17:19 PM »
I must admit I am not a fan of stainless steel appliances. They look nice when sparkling but I have never been any good at making them sparkle. The house I bought last year has stainless steel appliances. My method to clean them is:

1. Warm soapy water
2. Dry thoroughly with cloth
3. Shine with olive oil (or WD40)

Looks okay for a few hours. Then we touch them.

Even more annoying is that it's humid in my kitchen. I have rust spots on all my stainless steel appliances.

Is there a better way?

trygeek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How to clean stainless steel appliances?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 03:19:33 PM »
The best product i have found to clean stainless steel appliances is called Sprayway stainless steel cleaner. Here is a link to it on Amazon so you can see what it looks like because they have several products. But don't buy it there they charge way too much you can get it for a few dollars at the hardware store and it lasts a long time.  https://amzn.to/33r9jR1

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 07:38:37 PM »
I am a regular kitchen wiper, ie I wipe them down when I notice fingerprints, right away. Doing that, they wipe clean just fine with hot water and a dish rag. But I notice if you are a once a week wiper, it doesn't cut it.

Our immediately get fingerprinted as soon as they are cleaned.... If my children are home. When the kids went to grandpa's for a month I don't think I had to wipe things down at all, as H and I have figured out how to use the handles lolol.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 10:53:25 PM »
We also use Sprayway Stainless Steel Cleaner. Works great for us.

Queen Frugal

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 07:44:38 AM »
I am a regular kitchen wiper, ie I wipe them down when I notice fingerprints, right away. Doing that, they wipe clean just fine with hot water and a dish rag. But I notice if you are a once a week wiper, it doesn't cut it.

Our immediately get fingerprinted as soon as they are cleaned.... If my children are home. When the kids went to grandpa's for a month I don't think I had to wipe things down at all, as H and I have figured out how to use the handles lolol.

Thanks @trygeek and @iluvzbeach - I will give this product a try!

And @MayDay - I have a kid in the house and I know that is part of the problem! I hit the handles daily but not everything else.

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 08:51:11 AM »
I also use Sprayway.

I delivered/installed appliances as my college job, and one thing that I always stressed was "less is more" when it comes to stainless cleaning products. A lot of people overdo the amount of cleaner they apply. Spray one small shot onto your cloth, not the appliance, and wipe with the direction of the "grain" of the stainless (typically horizontal, but varies a little). Spraying a little at a time, onto the cloth keeps from developing an oily residue. For reference, I can usually clean an entire dishwasher or refrigerator door with 2-3 quick shots of the spray onto my cloth, where one shot does the top half and the other does the bottom.
Wiping with the grain reduces the appearance of any swirl marks or fine scratches from the cleaning and will keep you appliance looking better for longer. Wipe from one edge to the other in long, smooth swipes or you'll get splotchy sections.

centurymantra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 12:44:14 PM »
With our switch to stainless appliances, this became an issue for us as well.  I consider this product to be just short of magical:

https://weiman.com/stainless-steel-cleaner-spray

For the tiny spots of rust that inevitably pop up, a baking soda paste does the trick.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 01:09:16 PM »
Another vote for Weiman's.
I use Weiman's Spray Cleaner on occasion like when I clean the entire fridge front which requires removing all those magnets and notes and recipes.
For everyday cleaning, I use Weiman's wipes (comes in a round pull-up box) - my weapon of choice.

That way I don't have to hunt down the 'right' rag or anything - use the wipe and a minute later wipe dry with a dust cloth or soft cotton rag.
Best product I've come across so far - Ross and other discount stores are the cheapest source for it, but I've discovered that Publix carries it too, not sure about whether Target carries it.

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 01:48:50 PM »
I keep a chemical resistant hand sprayer filled with white vinegar and a 1/2 cup of dawn dish detergent.

Spray on, wait awhile, wipe off.
If I want it to shine, then I give a second wipe with a dry rag.

Works great in showers and toilet bowls too.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!