32 (11.9%)
3-5 years
68 (25.4%)
5-7 years
74 (27.6%)
7+  years
71 (26.5%)

Total Members Voted: 262

Author Topic: How old is your computer ?  (Read 20433 times)

jordanp123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How old is your computer ?
« on: August 05, 2017, 08:16:43 PM »
Was just wondering what the age of everyones primary computer is. I just had to say goodbye to my machine, a older dell laptop I'd nursed it alone for over 7 years before the cpu actually went, I'd replaced the hard drive and screen in that time. My new machine is a 2015 model MacBook Air (Bought it from a coworker who just "Had to have" the 2017 model MacBook Pro).

1962colreb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How old is your computer ?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 09:22:32 PM »
I've got an 8 year old IMac that is still going strong but I mostly just use my phone
for everything now.  I've always had good luck with Apple products so I bite the bullet
with the upfront costs. 

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 09:38:03 PM »
Which one?  I've got a few...

Generally between 2 and 5 years old.  I've got a 2008 Macbook Pro that still runs, though I don't use it for that much (it's the "house Mac" for when I want to do some photo editing and don't feel like walking out to my office).

I don't like keeping things beyond the end of OS support for security reasons.

My main personal computers are from 2015 - a Haswell iMac in my office that does pretty much everything, and a 2015 Pixel LS (Chromebook of Awesome), since I loved my previous Chromebook but wanted more RAM.  Yes, it's in Developer Mode, though it turns out I don't use that as much as I'd expected since most of my work is web based.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 10:26:59 PM »
The one on my other desk  is about 11+ years old. It's a lap top by Compaq. It's still going strong. The one I use daily is an IMac and is about 5-7 years old I think. I'm not really a big computer guy so I don't know that much about them. We usually get my wife's old one from work when they auction it off to the employees. She just got a brand new one so they should auction it off soon. We have a couple of others here in the house but I don't know how old they are... pretty old. Plus we have 1 iPads. The ipads are probably 4 and 2 years old. I am not an iPad user. I like a keyboard, and no, I am not hooking a keyboard up to an iPad. :)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 10:39:04 PM »
13yr old MacG5 - No MicroSoft code -religious thingy
IPad 1 -- current typing platform
IPad 2
iPhone 3GS as iPod for biking-cheaper than contemporary nanos

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 11:03:14 PM »
Current main computer of the household is five months old, and it set us back about two grand in parts at the end of the day.  Core i7 7700K, Z270 board, 32GB of RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD boot drive, etc.  Only kept the monitor (two year old 4K 24" Dell) and video card (GTX 750) from the machine it replaced.  All housed in an ncase M1 mini ITX case.  It's kind of a beast.  My girlfriend is a professional photographer, and this thing serves her well.  Literally the fastest Photoshop machine money can buy.  Way faster than her old machine (2011 era Sandy Bridge system with a few upgrades along the way) for her work.  An outrageous computer like this is a very bad deal for anyone not fully utilizing it.

My laptop is a work-issued (and used for both work and personal stuff) Dell Latitude E5530.  Five years old and still doing pretty OK.  I had to upgrade it to Windows 10 and I don't think this laptop likes it.  It'll be fine for at least another two years.

GF's laptop is a Dell XPS 15 bought last year from the Dell Outlet.  Skylake i7 quad-core, 16GB RAM, 4K display, SSD, etc.  Was $1099 refurbed on the outlet when that build new would have been fucking $1849.  Does 70% of what her desktop does, but on the road for when she's traveling for work (and almost never even opened at home).  This replaced an old Thinkpad T510 (i7 Westmere) that was still a fine machine, but garbage for photo editing (and she's been traveling more for work).

So that's 0-1, 5-7, and 0-1.  But if you asked me this time last year, it would have been 5-7, 3-5, and 5-7.

No tablets or other tablet-like bullshittery in our house.  We do both have smartphones, about a year old.

That all being said:

For 90% of what 90% of people want to do on a computer, the $300 desktop Walmart special that you bought in 2009 (I'll draw the line at Windows 7) probably still does the job and is chugging along happily, as long as the OS is cleaned out every once in a while, and you don't fill it up with garbage.

And laptops being barfed on or hit with sledgehammers aside, computers essentially don't ever wear out.  You might have a hard drive or a power supply fail during a computer's usable lifespan, but the main guts of a computer will last essentially forever, long past their usefulness.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 11:52:06 PM »
I use an early 2006 iMac desktop. The harddrive has been replaced 2 (the second time was under warranty from the first time). It has an old OS and cant be upgraded any more, and is kind of fussy.

My son has a desktop PC we built last year and my daughter has a 2014 iMac, which is overkill for her needs. I should have gotten her a PC.

We also have 2 ipads that are 2 and 4 years old.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 12:49:52 AM »
Mine is seven this fall and isn't even mine; it's a work machine.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 01:25:29 AM »
I have a MacBook Pro which is 8 years old (late 2008 model purchased in April 2009). I've bumped the RAM up to 8GB and added an SSD in that time.

It's been a good workhorse but it's starting to show it's age. Didn't help when I spilt coffee on it last year (replaced the keyboard but it's still not 100%).

I'm nursing it along until I move next, as what I replace it with depends on how much space my next place has.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 01:38:05 AM by alsoknownasDean »

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 02:02:24 AM »
My desktop PC is a four-year-old Dell. Just checked the old mail and it was $531.24, including tax, on 3 April 2013. So that seems pretty good at $10.22 per month. I'm still using the monitor from the previous PC. Eventually I'd like a bigger, fancier monitor or multiple monitors or something, but I don't want them badly enough to do anything about it. The mouse function got strange with Windows 10, and I'd get a new mouse if I were sure that'd fix it. Basically it's all going along fine except for the mouse; no plans to change soon.

My laptop PC is a two-year-old-to-me Dell Latitude E6240. I got it refurbished from Walmart.com; I imagine it was probably someone's work computer. It was $298.46 with tax on 13 May 2015, so that's about $11.05 per month at this point. It's getting a little slow now, and I'm not sure exactly how to address it. I don't think it likes Windows 10, but I also haven't done anything specific to maintain it.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 02:37:50 AM »
I use a 2011 iMac that is just perfect for me. I have upgraded the harddrive to an SSD over the years and maxed out the ram.

I expect to use this machine for another 3-4 years at least.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 02:52:13 AM »
No longer use a computer.   I only use a Samsung tablet now.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 04:40:30 AM »
Built one from parts 6.5 years ago.
i5 2500k Sandybridge, 8GB DDR3, SSDs, GTX 460 video,  quad boots Arch Linux, Ubuntu Linux, Win 10, and Win8.1.
Still a very fast machine even today.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:42:13 AM by jim555 »

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 05:21:06 AM »
My laptop is 4.5 years old but I was just thinking of doing some bank account churning to buy a new one. I try to curb my tech spending by forcing myself to pay for those purchases  with non-paycheck money.  I'm on  the fence about it.  It is painfully slow to boot up but aside from using it as a thin client to connect to work 3 days a week, I don't use it much.  Technically work gave me a nice setup to work from home but I prefer to work on the laptop in the living room than in the dungeon office.  My inner cheap and my inner geek are having a very heated argument right now.

May2030

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 05:41:18 AM »
My PC is 3 months old and my last pre-MMM moustache purchase. I7 7700k, 1080Ti graphics etc and a Asus PG348Q 34 inch monitor to go with it. It's brilliant but total overkill. What was I thinking.

Also have a 4 month old iPad Pro, extra punch in the face.

The above has set me back at least 3 months of saving.

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 05:42:45 AM »
Mine's about 13 years old.

Although... in that time, it's had 3 new motherboards, 5 CPU upgrades, 5 new graphics cards, 2 new power supplies, 4 new optical drives, 5 new hard drives, 2 sound cards, and 4 memory upgrades. But it's still in the same case!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2017, 06:18:35 AM »
Oh my god.. .just realised my Mac Pro laptop is 6 & a half years old. I keep thinking it's new... but it's obviously not.

Core i7 7700K, Z270 board, 32GB of RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD boot drive, etc. 

I lost track of how "fast" or good computers are when they stopped quoting microprocessor speed in MHz.

I am embarrassed that I do not know what any of the above means, though that amount of RAM is 250 times what my dad's computer had back in 2003(?) I forget.

Can we therefore expect computers to have 8TB of RAM sometime around 2030?

skip207

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2017, 06:48:04 AM »
2 laptops, one is coming up for 10 years old but I have upgraded it along the way with SSD and more RAM etc so it still runs pretty good.  My other laptop is for browsing, taking camping etc and is much smaller and lighter and is about 5 years old I think. (XPS17 and Aspire S3)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 07:19:16 AM »
 I built my computer 6 years ago, copied all the components that a friend used when he built his.
  I don't know if it is the build or Windows 7, but this has been the most trouble free computer I have had.
 My first computer was the Timex/Sinclair 1000, I bought around 1983, it came with a massive 4k of memory.
I upgraded to an astounding 16k of memory! It used an audio cassette recorder to save programs.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 08:22:14 AM »
We've got three desktop computers at home:
- One in the basement that's dedicated to recording music only. (5 years old, but just recently got a RAM and OS update - Windows 10).
- One in the living room hooked up to the TV which we occasionally watch youtube/DVDs/British ITV coverage of the Tour de France on.  (7 years old - Windows 7)
- One in the spare bedroom that gets used rarely.  (14 years old - Ubuntu 16.04)

I used to build and fix computers for people as a side gig, and was very into always having a very fast system.  Now I tend to use shit until it breaks and then buy the bare minimum possible to keep things working for another few years.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 08:23:04 AM »
My first computer was the Timex/Sinclair 1000, I bought around 1983, it came with a massive 4k of memory.
I upgraded to an astounding 16k of memory! It used an audio cassette recorder to save programs.
Mine too!  Things are so much better now.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 09:25:34 AM »
I have a 2009 MacBook Pro that I put $750 into six months ago. First money I'd put into it other than a $100 trackpad tweak five years ago. Now runs better than new (I like having the DVD drive). Prior to buying it in 2009, I was a PC guy, going through PC laptops at the rate of one every three years and by the end of that three years they were useless.

My only regret is that I didn't switch to Apple earlier -- and recognize the brilliance of the company and bought stock earlier -- like after watching Forrest Gump talk about Lt. Dan putting his money in "some kind of fruit company" back in 1994. My wife never used a PC until going to work for the school system in 2011. Until then, she only used Mac, worked for a Mac-related magazine, milking a Mac desktop from the mid-90s until 2003 and then a laptop from 2003 until 2010. If only I had put some chips on AAPL at any point up until 2004. Stock up 100x since then, of course.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 09:34:39 AM »
I generally buy a very fast desktop that I work from home on and use it for 4-5 years before replacing.  That is really not a price/value based decision as my computer is my lifeline to work, it just seems to be around the point that getting a new system set up like I like it and getting used to it is worth the better performance.

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2017, 10:12:18 AM »
I'm a simple guy. I have an Asus Chromebox that I bought last year after my previous computer died. Celeron cpu. $200. I upped the ram to 8gb, and have it attached to the VESA mount on my monitor. 

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2017, 10:59:06 AM »
I've worked in IT for about 30 years, so it's no surprise, I build my own desktops - heck, about anyone could do it with a little effort.

From most recent to oldest that I still currently use at home or on the road (excluding at work):

HTPC is Devil's Canyon i5 4690K, ASROCK Z97, Hauppauge PCIe and PCI tuner cards. SSD & HDD, I built in April 2014.

HP Envy Ivy Bridge i5-3210M, 15.6" laptop, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD,  Window 8.1, bought November 2012

Desktop Sandy Bridge 2500K, ASUS P8Z68, 8 GB RAM, overclocked to 4 Ghz, SSD and HDD, I built in Sept 2011

Gateway Celeron dual core SU2300, 11.6" laptop, model EC1436U, 4 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD, Windows 10, bought November 2009

None of these started life with an SSD, but I eventually moved them all to SSD.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 11:11:11 AM by GenXbiker »

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 11:16:29 AM »
6+ year old HP desktop with intel core i3 CPU, 3.07 GHz processor , 4GB RAM, Win7 still.....

GOING STRONG with no obvious weak points. No desire to replace or upgrade at this time.

dang1

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2017, 11:33:22 AM »
My daily driver is a Asus Chromebook Flip laptop, got in November 2015- fantastic device! I highly recommend Chromebooks. I have an Acer netbook from 2010 for when Windows is needed.

jordanp123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 03:28:32 PM »
I do have to say, the OS X Operating system is really growing on me.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2017, 05:01:51 PM »
This spring I replaced my 10-year-old Macbook Pro with a Chromebook, as I was primarily using it for Internet anyway, and I can use Google docs if I need something spreadsheet-like or Word-like and couldn't justify the cost of a new Mac.

I've also got a Mac desktop that I bought off of an old boss for 50 bucks when she was moving cross-country. No idea how old it is. 6 or 7 years, maybe? It's the huge metal tower. I have all my Adobe design software on that (version 5.5) and that runs fine, so I'm happy with it.

The Macbook still runs, albeit slowly, but it's unable to take any more OS upgrades; therefore, some websites don't work since I also can't upgrade the browser given its current OS. I haven't totally ditched it, as I've also got Adobe software on that one, that still works and I don't want to pay for Creative Cloud should the desktop Mac ever die.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2017, 06:40:12 PM »
6+ year old HP desktop with intel core i3 CPU, 3.07 GHz processor , 4GB RAM, Win7 still.....

GOING STRONG with no obvious weak points. No desire to replace or upgrade at this time.
What will you do in 2020 when Win7 support ends?

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2017, 07:42:57 PM »
Dell Latitude D830 gotten for college back in 2007. Still going, although I do wonder sometimes about how much it may have left in it. Battery will hold 0 charge so it is basically a desktop, but I keep it plugged in and it works just fine.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2017, 07:57:10 PM »
Can we therefore expect computers to have 8TB of RAM sometime around 2030?

Probably before then.

If you look at the high end computing video cards, they're starting to hit the 13 Tflop/sec range for single precision floating point. At double precision (the scientific computing 'standard'), that's ~7 Tflop/sec. I used to manage a supercomputer in my younger days (circa 2005) which when new was only ~7 Tflop a second. It was also 800 dual-processor machines. It cost a few million dollars, used a decent sized town's worth of power, and was ~50th in the world (top500.org) when built. Today you buy that for ~$1,000 and stuff it in a standard desktop.

On the question, I usually don't sit on a box longer than 2 years, but I'm also a computer nerd/sysadmin/programmer/gamer, so being on 4 year old hardware often doesn't work. Given its my hobby and six-figure salary, that cost is okay by me. I tend to build my own, although the last one I tried a TB3 laptop + video card docking station. I'm not sure I'd do it again. It works, but not quite as smoothly as I'd like.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2017, 08:02:34 PM »
I don't think 1TB of RAM will be a thing in consumer systems even by 2030. SSDs make swapping quite fast and the benefits taper off long before even 32GB for most uses today.

August

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2017, 08:05:44 PM »
I bought a high-end "desktop replacement" laptop computer in 2013 for about $2500, intending to use it for 5-10 years.  Currently meeting my needs perfectly well.  I use Ubuntu Linux as my operating system (free updates).

I also have a Chromebook and a couple old Macs that I rarely use.  My oldest is an Apple iBook made in 2001.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2017, 08:28:09 PM »
I don't think 1TB of RAM will be a thing in consumer systems even by 2030. SSDs make swapping quite fast and the benefits taper off long before even 32GB for most uses today.

640K ought to be enough for anybody . . .

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2017, 08:29:15 PM »
My gaming rig is about 5 years old, however it had a new GPU installed around 2014.

That being said, looking into building a new one in a Micro ITX form factor (think PS4/Xbox sized) with some of the latest tech.

Will probably cost $1500 or so.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2017, 09:00:13 PM »

What will you do in 2020 when Win7 support ends?

Ask me in 2.5 years. A lot can happen over that time frame.

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2017, 11:36:19 PM »
8 new computers in last couple months for crytpo mining, plus one super beef new 8 core intel for side business which brings a 2 hour compile down to 20 minutes from my old rig.

ayylmao

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2017, 01:36:28 AM »
Custom built pc that cost $404 at the end of it all!
i3 6100
8GB 2133 DDR4
240 GB SSD
750Ti

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2017, 01:42:50 AM »
Dell Latitude D830 gotten for college back in 2007. Still going, although I do wonder sometimes about how much it may have left in it. Battery will hold 0 charge so it is basically a desktop, but I keep it plugged in and it works just fine.

Amazon and a bunch of other places sell laptop batteries. If you still like your laptop otherwise, a new battery could help put off buying  a new machine for a year or two.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2017, 07:41:54 AM »
I put 3-5 but only because I have two. My personal one is 7 years old (MacBook), while my work one is a younger (1.5 years) Macbook as well. My work one has become my personal one, since my other is having problems, but I still use both on a semi-regular basis.

RobFIRE

• Bristles
  • Projected FIRE May 2020
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2017, 08:07:54 AM »
Haven't had a desktop PC since 2013. Switched to laptop+external monitor at that point, mainly because I wanted a quieter machine that would live in bedroom. Also as no longer playing PC games there was no need to have a desktop machine, and upgrading it to play the newer games made no sense. In 2013 the laptop was a used ThinkPad T410, earlier this year I switched that to a used ThinkPad X220 which cost me -£20 (as I sold of parts) for the laptop without RAM and disk. I have a second X220 laptop for travel, two others for RAM testing (for eBay-for-charity RAM trading little side business), a spare at parents' house and one I don't use so should sell. So all 5 years old or more. The lack of big improvement in single threaded CPU performance in the last 5 years or so, that I already have SSDs installed, and that I have laptops that can take 16 GB RAM (only have 10 at the mo), means I see no driver to upgrade them for the moment.

I also now only use SSDs, just have one laptop HDD as one of my backups.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2017, 08:30:45 AM »
Desktop computer HP Envy and a new monitor ASUS - about two months ago. Love !:) has all the bells and whistles I wanted.

Had a five year old Dell laptop that I gave to my son to use. Still have a ten year old Toshiba laptop, upgraded three years ago. Works fine, but I hardly ever use it, replaced the battery about 3 yrs ago.

No more laptops for me, I like my LG Flex phone for surfing on the go, e-mail, reading books and gps function. It's three years old now and was last years model when I bought it. I may upgrade after Sep of next year.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2017, 09:14:37 AM »
Bought my current HP Laptop in Sept 2009. Still kicking strong.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2017, 09:20:20 AM »

640K ought to be enough for anybody . . .
Adobe will be sure to add even more memory leaks to Photoshop so that by 2030, 1TB of RAM is the minimum.  Even now if my GF opens and closes a bunch of photos throughout the day while editing, at the end even with no files open and doing absolutely nothing, Photoshop will sometimes be using 10-12GB of RAM on its own. <_<

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2017, 10:12:47 AM »
Current home desktop is a Dell Inspiron 530 running Debian (I got free it second hand sans hard disk about 3-4 years ago; I do have the system restore disk that can install Vista on this computer). It has an intermittent issue with shutting down suddenly (not solved by changing power supply or OS - initial reason for trying Debian - so I'm pretty sure the issue is on the motherboard) so I am considering replacing it.

Previous desktop was a similar age HP Pavillion. I purchased it from a thrift store almost 6 years ago. Vista was eventually replaced with Debian. TV card that came with this computer is now in the Dell and this computer had been on loan to my brother. After discovering the shut down issue with the Dell, I intended to switch back to the HP when I got it back from my brother, but this box has developled a problem where it does not move past the BIOS splash screen, so I probably need to get a new (to me computer).

I don't use my laptop much any more, but it is a PowerBook G4 that I bought new in August 2004 that still works fine (except the latch doesn't work - on it's 3rd battery and power supply). The only thing that is still keeping me from running Debian on this machine is that I dislike trackpad driver for it under Linux (I use iScroll2 on OS X 10.5.8).

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2017, 12:02:45 PM »
2010 Macbook Pro purchased in December of 2010......so I'm right at the 7 year mark =D

Used daily since then. Still holds a ~90-120 minute charge web browsing or ~60 minutes watching youtube etc.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2017, 12:35:22 PM »
Had an anti-mustachian splurge moment, and bought a new laptop. Before that, it was maybe 5 years or so since my last one (a home-built compact desktop/HTPC). The old beast was humming along fairly smoothly, so I really have no excuse other than wanting to play newer PC games.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2017, 12:47:06 PM »
Last year I rescued a 2013 custom Core i5 machine from work (free). It came with Win7 Pro, 16bg ram, and 128mb SSD. Fast, simple.
I added 2 2tb hdds and hope to keep it 5+yrs

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2017, 12:52:28 PM »
5 or 6 year old MacBook Pro. I got it before nursing school. My last mac (power book or something? I forget, small black laptop) lasted me 6 years, and it still works now running a laser at a relative's shop- it just wouldn't work anymore for online classes and stuff.

Current computer is a bit iffy on non-web based things. Can't really do word processing or spreadsheets anymore, I've switched that all to google. Struggles with pictures even. Won't open PDFs at ALL, haha.

Since macs are so expensive relative to other things now, and there isn't the same quality gap, I'm tempted to go non-mac next. But that would be a first in my lifetime thing for me, so I'm hesitant. I've obviously gotten great life out of the ones I've had!