Author Topic: How Old is Too Old for Clothing?  (Read 26780 times)

RoadtotheMountains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How Old is Too Old for Clothing?
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2017, 06:17:53 PM »
When your clothing is stained and has holes it's too old. Otherwise, I'd keep wearing it as long as it fits and is comfortable still.

I personally have three outfits for everyday use. It's the same outfit actually just 3 sets of it. I wear them until they're no longer serviceable. So far it's been about every 2 years. The past few times I bought Old Navy Yoga Pants and navy blue t-shirts from Walmart for $21 an outfit. This year I decided to buy what I'm told is better quality clothing costing me $40 an outfit. We will see if it's worth it or not in a few years lol.

When I worked outside the home I had 2 pairs of black slacks and 2 fitted button down shirts that were blue. I wore them every day that I taught at the university. My students never said anything, my coworkers never said a thing. Maybe it's because it was academia and people expect some of us to be weirdos.

I also own a dress. I don't wear it though. I bought it because my Dad said he understands my clothing choices but he doesn't think everyone else will if I come to his funeral in yoga pants & a t-shirt so I bought something he thinks others would approve of and it sits in my closet waiting until he has his funeral.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2017, 06:30:51 PM »
I think my older teens aged out of Delia's around 14, so I can understand why those might no longer be suitable.  I think the guys here don't really understand.

I'd pick up a couple of pairs of dark slacks and a pair of khakis.  A few tops, a couple of cardigans, and you're good.  Keep any eye out for clearance.  you drop the old stuff off at Goodwill or whatever, see if they have any scarves or colorful necklaces. You can mix and match and the accessories make it look like you have a lot more outfits than you actually do.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2017, 07:18:45 PM »

Reading your wardrobe description, I worry the pieces you're picking *in general* won't age well. I think a shift to basic patterns, natural materials, and traditional office cuts is in order. Stick to classic neutrals like navy, brown, or black for pants and stay away from colors that trends like olive. Stay away from cuts that trend, like wide leg or cigarette pants. Stick to a trouser, and it might look like you're not a fashionista, but you also won't look dated. Similarly, patterns in tops don't age well generally. Stick to classic cuts in classic solid colors, and stay away from things that trend like chambray.

. . . .

ETA: reminded me of this thread, I found it very useful/educational, hope you do as well: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/spin-off-creating-a-minimalistcapsule-wardrobe-most-recent-update-page-15/

I actually generally agree with what you wrote above (re trousers) but darn if a straight leg trouser isn't the WORST cut on me.

Thanks for that link - it is great!

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2017, 07:20:50 PM »
I think my older teens aged out of Delia's around 14, so I can understand why those might no longer be suitable.  I think the guys here don't really understand.

I'd pick up a couple of pairs of dark slacks and a pair of khakis.  A few tops, a couple of cardigans, and you're good.  Keep any eye out for clearance.  you drop the old stuff off at Goodwill or whatever, see if they have any scarves or colorful necklaces. You can mix and match and the accessories make it look like you have a lot more outfits than you actually do.

Thanks! This is how I'm feeling. The stuff still fits but is very  . . . young and I'm just not young any more.

So this gist I'm getting is that most of the ladies feel like I might want refresh the wardrobe, a tiny bit, very carefully, frugally, and a few curated pieces at a time.

Dudes say  . . whatever!

Thanks all!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2017, 07:29:20 PM »

Reading your wardrobe description, I worry the pieces you're picking *in general* won't age well. I think a shift to basic patterns, natural materials, and traditional office cuts is in order. Stick to classic neutrals like navy, brown, or black for pants and stay away from colors that trends like olive. Stay away from cuts that trend, like wide leg or cigarette pants. Stick to a trouser, and it might look like you're not a fashionista, but you also won't look dated. Similarly, patterns in tops don't age well generally. Stick to classic cuts in classic solid colors, and stay away from things that trend like chambray.

. . . .

ETA: reminded me of this thread, I found it very useful/educational, hope you do as well: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/spin-off-creating-a-minimalistcapsule-wardrobe-most-recent-update-page-15/

I actually generally agree with what you wrote above (re trousers) but darn if a straight leg trouser isn't the WORST cut on me.

Thanks for that link - it is great!

Maybe skirts and dresses would be a better fit then? A shape that flatters your body is certainly very important!

Thanks! This is how I'm feeling. The stuff still fits but is very  . . . young and I'm just not young any more.

So this gist I'm getting is that most of the ladies feel like I might want refresh the wardrobe, a tiny bit, very carefully, frugally, and a few curated pieces at a time.

Dudes say  . . whatever!

Thanks all!

Haha yep, seems to be the take away!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2017, 11:42:12 PM »
I think it's more difficult for a woman because, ike you experienced, in an office setting you do get judged for what you're wearing, more than men. A man has to look presentable but if he had a jacket, two pairs of trousers. 5 clean shirts and a tie, no one would ever complain. I keep a separate work wardrobe that currently consists of one pair of trousers, 6 tops and two cardigans. Occasionally I'll wear a skirt from my private wardrobe to mix it up, but as I bike to work it's not that often. Because I have so few clothes, I do notice they wear out. The biking doesn't help either. I think I buy 1 or 2 pairs of trousers every year. The top half lasts much longer, I buy maybe 1 a year and the oldest ones could well be 10 years old.

My private wardrobe is also quite small, but unlike everyone's advice, I try to stay away from the neutrals/classics. I like wearing really nice looking colourful clothes, not boring navy and beige stuff. I wear mostly dresses and I have a red dress for example, and a purple dress. For my private wardrobe, I don't look at price tags at all. I just buy what I like and then I wear them until they're literally threadbare. I don't go shopping at Chanel of course, but if you know you're going to wear an item hundreds of times, it's not a problem to pay €80 for a dress. Style, cut and quality are more important than saving a few €. That said, a lot of my clothes are from H&M because a lot of what they sell is pretty good quality. Buying new clothes has become harder for me with age (I'm 27) because I'm starting to feel too old for the typical teenage girls' stores, not petite enough to wear Zara or Mango, and I feel too young to wear sensible, mumsy brands. There seems to be a lack of stores targeted at women aged 25-40, who like a modern, fresh look but don't want to look 21.

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2017, 01:44:50 AM »
How Old is Too Old for Clothing?
I'll probably be a nudist by the time I'm 70.

Ninnel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2017, 04:24:23 AM »
I think it's more difficult for a woman because, ike you experienced, in an office setting you do get judged for what you're wearing, more than men. A man has to look presentable but if he had a jacket, two pairs of trousers. 5 clean shirts and a tie, no one would ever complain. I keep a separate work wardrobe that currently consists of one pair of trousers, 6 tops and two cardigans. Occasionally I'll wear a skirt from my private wardrobe to mix it up, but as I bike to work it's not that often. Because I have so few clothes, I do notice they wear out. The biking doesn't help either. I think I buy 1 or 2 pairs of trousers every year. The top half lasts much longer, I buy maybe 1 a year and the oldest ones could well be 10 years old.

My private wardrobe is also quite small, but unlike everyone's advice, I try to stay away from the neutrals/classics. I like wearing really nice looking colourful clothes, not boring navy and beige stuff. I wear mostly dresses and I have a red dress for example, and a purple dress. For my private wardrobe, I don't look at price tags at all. I just buy what I like and then I wear them until they're literally threadbare. I don't go shopping at Chanel of course, but if you know you're going to wear an item hundreds of times, it's not a problem to pay €80 for a dress. Style, cut and quality are more important than saving a few €. That said, a lot of my clothes are from H&M because a lot of what they sell is pretty good quality. Buying new clothes has become harder for me with age (I'm 27) because I'm starting to feel too old for the typical teenage girls' stores, not petite enough to wear Zara or Mango, and I feel too young to wear sensible, mumsy brands. There seems to be a lack of stores targeted at women aged 25-40, who like a modern, fresh look but don't want to look 21.

Very good written! I with love to go to stores for aged 27-40. I am 37 and I don't know how to wear right :( I have only three blouses and two pencil skirts for my work like #11 here http://inkprofy.com/pencil-skirt-outfits/ it seems to me that I am too old for skirts. I will buy new clothes only if old clothes became unsuitable.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2017, 07:12:16 AM »

Your style sounds similar to mine (before I stopped thinking of my "style"). And I definitely agree about the issue for women between 25-40. Curious, since it looks like you are in the UK - do you ever shop at Boden (or is too old?)? I've been eyeing their website for a couple of years but can't make myself pull the trigger on anything. Their dresses seem to be very classic cuts though and I'm totally drawn to their stuff.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2017, 08:03:52 AM »
I have things in my closet from the late 90's and early aughts and I am starting to think that these are not viable wardrobe options to choose from anymore - right? No one in their mid 30's should be wearing anything from the Delia's catalog :)

I have tshirts and shorts from the 1980s that I still wear.  I have a jacket from my Dad that's older than I am.

I just tried to Google "timeless styles for men". What I got was a ridiculous orgy of fanciness, unbecoming a mustachian.

Since I can't trust Google for this, does anyone here have any ideas for things men can wear that don't become outdated?

Tshirt and jeans has worked at least since the 1950s.

...but it's all contextual. IDGAF and wear hawaiian shirts to work some of the time.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2017, 11:19:53 AM »
I saw the title to this post and thought, "you're never too old for clothing...".

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2017, 12:26:54 PM »
I have things in my closet from the late 90's and early aughts and I am starting to think that these are not viable wardrobe options to choose from anymore - right? No one in their mid 30's should be wearing anything from the Delia's catalog :)

I have tshirts and shorts from the 1980s that I still wear.  I have a jacket from my Dad that's older than I am.

I just tried to Google "timeless styles for men". What I got was a ridiculous orgy of fanciness, unbecoming a mustachian.

Since I can't trust Google for this, does anyone here have any ideas for things men can wear that don't become outdated?

Tshirt and jeans has worked at least since the 1950s.

...but it's all contextual. IDGAF and wear hawaiian shirts to work some of the time.
Luckily I'm a programmer, so t-shirts and jeans (or shorts!) are the height of office fashion in my group. I like to dress it up a notch with polos, but I probably lose a few points of geek-cred in the process. If you show up in slacks and a tie, *then* people start looking at you funny (and asking where your interview is!).

It's also a tradition in our office to wear Hawaiian shirts on Fridays. I find they accessorize especially well with my red Swingline stapler ;)

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2017, 12:37:40 PM »
I saw the title to this post and thought, "you're never too old for clothing...".

Yeah - I'm awful at subject lines!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2017, 02:07:32 PM »
I wear jeans and cotton shirts to work. 

But if I had to dress nicer, I'd go with basic classic black pants.

I learned about 5-10 years ago that a slight flare at the ankle/ boot cut is most flattering.  First time I knew that.  I was in my 40s. 

So now, that's what I buy.  You'll never find me in the super tight jeans/ pants.  That's never been a good look for me.

Straight up straight cut, not so great either.  I figure it's better for the clothing to be "flattering" than "in-style"

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2017, 04:05:07 PM »
StarBright: I like Boden. I have several shirts from there, and used to have a few dresses. It's generally good quality stitching but check fabric content carefully and they also have annoying "quirky" details on everything - like my favourite shirt's collar and cuffs are lined with this random unmatchable pinkish red. But that favourite shirt is about to be ten years old, I have worn it a LOT in that ten years, and it's only now becoming a bit unwearable.

However, I think they have an outlet and there's a lot of hardly-worn Boden available on eBay. Buying it new and full price is a bit expensive.

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2017, 05:19:11 PM »
Girl yes, you need to step it up a little. I googled Delia and it is not the kind of fashion you/anyone should be wearing for decades. It won't cost much to up your game just a notch. It is not going to stand in the way of you and FIRE.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2017, 05:25:38 PM »
Girl yes, you need to step it up a little. I googled Delia and it is not the kind of fashion you/anyone should be wearing for decades. It won't cost much to up your game just a notch. It is not going to stand in the way of you and FIRE.

Delia clothing of a decade ago may have been a little more adult-suited than Delia's current lineup.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2017, 06:06:48 PM »
I remember reading something recently about Delia's trying to make a comeback, unfortunately the clothing they have now is not quite as exciting as the stuff from the 90s (like the items from here: https://www.buzzfeed.com/leonoraepstein/things-you-desperately-needed-from-the-delias-summer-96-c).

As a 30something, I would love to own some of these items of clothing! As a programmer, my work wardrobe has generally been "whatever I want to wear, as long as it's not frayed/full of holes/bits hanging out", but I can also understand wanting to get rid of things that don't fit what you need to wear on a daily basis for work if your job requires more professional wear.

Note: you can probably make some $$ selling your late 90s/early 2000's clothing on Poshmark, as the 20 year fashion cycle is starting to hit that point.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2017, 06:52:41 PM »
I remember reading something recently about Delia's trying to make a comeback, unfortunately the clothing they have now is not quite as exciting as the stuff from the 90s (like the items from here: https://www.buzzfeed.com/leonoraepstein/things-you-desperately-needed-from-the-delias-summer-96-c).

As a 30something, I would love to own some of these items of clothing! As a programmer, my work wardrobe has generally been "whatever I want to wear, as long as it's not frayed/full of holes/bits hanging out", but I can also understand wanting to get rid of things that don't fit what you need to wear on a daily basis for work if your job requires more professional wear.

Note: you can probably make some $$ selling your late 90s/early 2000's clothing on Poshmark, as the 20 year fashion cycle is starting to hit that point.

#28 is still my platonic ideal of a summer dress. If I owned that sucker I would NEVER get rid of it.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2017, 12:01:18 AM »

Your style sounds similar to mine (before I stopped thinking of my "style"). And I definitely agree about the issue for women between 25-40. Curious, since it looks like you are in the UK - do you ever shop at Boden (or is too old?)? I've been eyeing their website for a couple of years but can't make myself pull the trigger on anything. Their dresses seem to be very classic cuts though and I'm totally drawn to their stuff.

I'm in the Netherlands actually, so you're pretty close :)

I have looked at Boden, but I haven't bought anything yet. I can see myself buying Boden in the future though. In the Netherlands, we have a similar brand, King Louie, and I have bought that in the past. The King Louie mum is what the Boden mum is over there :D Really nice dresses, nice fit, but they're not super durable. I've had two dresses for about 1,5-2 years and they're fading now. Long enough for most people, but not long enough for me to justify the cost. A Laura Ashley skirt and dress I bought a few years ago are holding up very well, they were certainly worth the price tag (and I bought them on sale, luckily).

cairnstone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2017, 09:11:46 AM »
This thread reminded me of an article I read a year or so ago about the advantages of wearing the same thing to work every day, even for women.

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/features/a10441/why-i-wear-the-same-thing-to-work-everday/

Wear clothes that you like, that look good on you. As I have heard it summarized, "It is important to look good every day. It is not important to look different every day."

nazar

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2017, 09:34:23 AM »
You mean I can't wear my Member's Only jacket any more?  I know it will come back in style some day.

DH still wears his, which I accept as long as he promises that the Zubaz are only worn for 80s theme parties.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2017, 09:22:47 AM »
I never "update my wardrobe".  I replace worn items when they can no longer be worn in public without fear of arrest (or when, due to humidity, they shrink to an unwearable size).

Rules of clothing:

1.  Buy what fits, not what is on sale.
2.  Buy quality classical cut lines, they never go out of style.
Repeat as necessary.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2017, 01:26:59 PM »
I never "update my wardrobe".  I replace worn items when they can no longer be worn in public without fear of arrest (or when, due to humidity, they shrink to an unwearable size).

Rules of clothing:

Repeat as necessary.

I find I need to update my wardrobe every now and then. When I start noticing a piece of clothing is worn out, I'll take a second look and I notice that half of what I own is past due. For some reason it always takes me a long time to notice something should be thrown out. Since I don't have that much, every now and then I have to replace a pretty big chunck of my clothes at the same time.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2017, 03:27:15 PM »

Rules of clothing:

Repeat as necessary.

I find I need to update my wardrobe every now and then. When I start noticing a piece of clothing is worn out, I'll take a second look and I notice that half of what I own is past due. For some reason it always takes me a long time to notice something should be thrown out. Since I don't have that much, every now and then I have to replace a pretty big chunck of my clothes at the same time.

I do this too. I get blind to the subtle wear down of my clothes. Then one item will get a small hole for example, so I will get one new item to replace it. Then, that serves as a huge point of contrast where I realize *all* my clothes are super worn (thinning, stretching, pilling), and I was somehow oblivious. So I end up replacing a big swath all at once. Usually every 2-3 years for things like t shirts.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2017, 03:35:02 PM »
I think if you're feeling socially uncomfortable in your clothing, that's as bad as feeling physically uncomfortable. Sporting a formerly trendy pattern that is now classified "butt ugly" can socially be as bad as wearing a giant coffee stain. Rips and stains are the obvious signs of wear, but fading, stretching, and pilling are more gradual and thus harder to notice. So is becoming "dated". No one is going to tell you "ugh, that cardigan/jacket/pants/etc is so last year"...it's that the overall impression you make will become "she's frumpy/sloppy" or "that outfit ages her/is unflattering" etc.  As someone pointed out, it's not too expensive to upgrade a small wardrobe a little at a time, perhaps thrifting or using discount stores or shopping good sales.

I absolutely don't follow the whims of fashion, but I do try to be up to date in professional settings; while it may not matter what people think of you while you're at home or running errands or outdoors, in some settings the impression you make matters. Your appearance directly affects people's perception of your competence, your "fit", the likelihood someone will strike up casual conversation. Appearance isn't just wardrobe, and people who are innately more pretty/handsome, or more fit, can get away with more in wardrobe, but you can't change your face (at least not frugally), and changing your fitness level is a slow road, and you have to wear clothes and move along in your career when you're on it!

By the way, in addition to fashion being more finicky (more embellishments, more variations even in simple pieces), and using thinner fabrics that wear out easier, women's fashion is difficult because women vary so much...Button down shirts are a classic but I had a lot of trouble finding one that didn't gape in the front or fit like a tent. So...sometimes we have to deviate from current trends and just wear what fits and flatters unapologetically, and call that "timeless style" ;)

Clothes that aren't top notch anymore can be downgraded to everyday or home clothes, then (sometimes) to dirty-task clothes. If they just don't fit, or your taste has changed but it's still in decent shape, giving it away or donating it keeps it out of the landfill. Perhaps someone will pull a "refashionista" on the dated piece, or just use it as raw material. Worst case, thrift stores route anything they can't sell into recycling.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2017, 04:03:33 PM »

#28 is still my platonic ideal of a summer dress. If I owned that sucker I would NEVER get rid of it.
I've seen a very similar dress to that made by Ralph Lauren and sold at Marshalls on a seasonal basis. Sometimes it goes away but it always comes back.

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2017, 09:49:44 PM »
I think when you have that gut feeling that your clothes don't feel like you anymore, age wise especially, it's probably time to get some new stuff. I am not a big shopper at all, but around my late 20s I remember getting rid of some of my teenager stuff. I just felt a little funny in it, like it didn't suit me. I don't think you have to get rid of everything, jeans are fine, shoes, basic t-shirts, outerwear, classic pieces, but super trendy stuff that's really gone out of fashion or doesn't suit your lifestyle can be tossed.

-A former die-hard delia's girl

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2017, 07:58:24 AM »
I think when you have that gut feeling that your clothes don't feel like you anymore, age wise especially, it's probably time to get some new stuff. I am not a big shopper at all, but around my late 20s I remember getting rid of some of my teenager stuff. I just felt a little funny in it, like it didn't suit me. I don't think you have to get rid of everything, jeans are fine, shoes, basic t-shirts, outerwear, classic pieces, but super trendy stuff that's really gone out of fashion or doesn't suit your lifestyle can be tossed.

-A former die-hard delia's girl

rdaneel - You've hit the nail on the head exactly. Most of my wardrobe is from my 20s and I'm in my mid 30s now.

Thanks to the all the advice from this thread I've looked over my clothes and donated the oldest things. I traded my mom one of the trendier items (chambray shirt for one of her more classic blue button downs) and made a list of the things I'm looking for.

After doing some analysis I realized part of my "work clothes" problem is that I meet with two very different types of customers: gov contractor types and cool creative types. I've been trying to split the difference in my very occasional clothes purchases and I've been going about it all wrong.

New uniform for creatives: blazers (need a new black one, will keep existing red one), random t-shirts (but well fitted, not sloppy), jeans that I have and am on the look out for leopard print slides/sneakers (I actually think a subtle leopard print is the ultimate neutral). Also I have a few really neat vintage pieces that just live in nice storage bags in my closet - will be breaking em out and working them into my "creatives" wardrobe.

Gov Contracting (will also overlap with church/nice volunteering) - This is mostly my existing stuff - black pants, button downs, can reuse blazers here, need a new black cardigan.

So I think a few new pieces will nicely augment what I have and help break out my wardrobe into two more usable categories :
Black blazer (casual, cottony fabric)
Black cardigan (still thinking about style - I'm thinking I'll be looking for something v. classic probably from Lands End or similar)
leopard print sneaks
Also- I've looked back at a decade of street style blogs and do you know what never seems to go out of fashion? Breton Stripes. Looking for one three quarter length sleeve breton stripe shirt (should work with both wardrobes).

Thanks all!

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2017, 08:54:43 AM »
I had a work mentor once advise me to never be the worst dressed/ put together person in the workplace. You don't have to be a fashionista, but don't be the schlubby one. It helps people to take you seriously if you present the right way.

I have no style whatsoever so every now and then I have a stylish friend take me shopping. Stylish people, in my experience, enjoy helping out hopeless cases like me. Do you have a friend who looks like they know what they're doing when they pick clothes?

cj25

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2017, 08:58:30 AM »
A coworker of mine recently wore a beautiful top.  When I commented, she said she got in 1979 when she first start working. It's in perfect condition and doesn't look out of style.  So just depends on if you wear it and how it makes you feel to wear it.  But f*ck fashion and rules.  It's body covering.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2017, 09:12:32 AM »
So let me think about this.

I'm wearing shoes inherited from my dad right now.  He passed away in 2007.
I bought my wallet from a ski shop owned by a friend.....in 1980.
I still have a shirt in my closet that I remember buying with a cute, blonde sister of a friend....in 1976.
I have another pair of running shoes inherited from my father sitting at home.
My sport coat, which I wear at funerals and pretty much nothing else was bought for me by my grandmother around 1985 when I graduated from college.
I do also have a fancy cashmere suit coat that I had custom made while on a business trip in Hong Kong in 1991.

I absolutely HATE shopping.  But we expect a windfall to hit my checking account any day now for $56,352.  I kept sending my wife pictures of cars all week.  Alfa Gulia, Porsche 911, Nissan GT-R.  Last night, I told her what I'm going to splurge on.  A pair of jeans and new pair of nice shoes (nice meaning that they're not skateboard shoes from 10 years ago).  The rest will be split between Redneck Bank, Ally and ETFs at TDAmeritrade and Schwab.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2017, 09:28:32 AM »
So the funny thing is is that I actually used to be rather stylish. I spent some time working as a personal shopper at high end department store and was once even photographed by Scott Schumann for The Sartorialist (more than a decade ago when the site was just starting out so it doesn't have the same cache it does now) but once I  dedicated myself to environmentalism and frugality I told myself that my love of clothing and style was consumerist crap.

This post has been sort of interesting for me - like starting to exercise a long atrophied muscle. I started asking it from a very mustachian place - ie. Is it ever okay to throw away old clothes when they fit and have no holes in them? I was looking for permission to go with my gut feeling.

But a couple pages into the thread I've come around to: I do love clothes and I could probably tell you exactly my personal style in about 10 seconds. I know exactly what I want - I just don't feel "mustachian" about what I want. Interesting.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2017, 11:07:30 AM »
I'm delighted to report that I have discovered the secret of eternal life for clothing.  When a garment becomes so worn that I reluctantly decide to stop wearing it, it goes to the back of the closet and I start wearing a better condition specimen.  Some months / years later current specimen is on its last legs so I look in wardrobe and find the old garment - which now is actually in better nick than the one I'm wearing so I swap them over.  Repeat as necessary.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2017, 11:39:54 AM »
I don't want to start some massive hoo ha, but it is harder for women to keep wearing the same small amount of clothing forever. Sorry, men, it just is. We do not have the option of just wearing any old suit to something remotely formal and doing OK, nor do we have the option of ye olde chinos and button down to anything else. Not saying you suddenly have to be all antimustachian about it, but the options for women's clothing are so much wider that it's harder to get right. There are very few women's outfits that are just generically appropriate for everything.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2017, 11:44:40 AM »
I don't want to start some massive hoo ha, but it is harder for women to keep wearing the same small amount of clothing forever. Sorry, men, it just is. We do not have the option of just wearing any old suit to something remotely formal and doing OK, nor do we have the option of ye olde chinos and button down to anything else. Not saying you suddenly have to be all antimustachian about it, but the options for women's clothing are so much wider that it's harder to get right. There are very few women's outfits that are just generically appropriate for everything.
The interesting thing is that the great majority of men probably won't even notice your carefully judged outfit.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2017, 12:14:05 PM »

Totally agreed. What can men wear to work, funerals, weddings, and cocktail parties? A tasteful, dark suit. A woman can wear the same thing to 2/4, maybe, but not 4/4 without looking tone-deaf.

So the funny thing is is that I actually used to be rather stylish. I spent some time working as a personal shopper at high end department store and was once even photographed by Scott Schumann for The Sartorialist (more than a decade ago when the site was just starting out so it doesn't have the same cache it does now) but once I  dedicated myself to environmentalism and frugality I told myself that my love of clothing and style was consumerist crap.

This post has been sort of interesting for me - like starting to exercise a long atrophied muscle. I started asking it from a very mustachian place - ie. Is it ever okay to throw away old clothes when they fit and have no holes in them? I was looking for permission to go with my gut feeling.

But a couple pages into the thread I've come around to: I do love clothes and I could probably tell you exactly my personal style in about 10 seconds. I know exactly what I want - I just don't feel "mustachian" about what I want. Interesting.

You can love clothes and still be mustachian about it! Or I don't want to be part of this club anymore :) I don't think it's about still wearing dresses from Delia's when you're 35 (yeah, those need to go)--it's figuring out how to get what you want and need in a frugal, environmentally-responsible way. Unless I need something really specific, I do most of my shopping at mid-range or higher-end consignment stores. I don't have the mental energy to deal with thrift stores these days, but consignment shops are still going to be cheaper than retail, more environmentally sound because you aren't causing more clothing to be produced, and already curated a bit. I'd also suggest The Real Real for more specific items like your leopard-print shoes.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2017, 12:27:11 PM »
I really thought that was enough for my occasional work trips but the last two times I went in to the office different women commented on how I always wear the same things. It made me very self conscious and in the past few weeks I've turned a very critical eye towards my closet.

Those women and that type of comment make me so angry!!!  Your work wardrobe sounds ok (I'd have to see it to see if things LOOKED dated) but honestly, the next time you get a comment about wearing the same thing, reply in the sweetest voice that you've been able to *curate* your clothing into a "Parisian wardrobe" (which is actually just a minimalist wardrobe but throwing the fashionably-equivalent term makes it sound fancier, lol) and that you love how freeing the experience has been.  I work in uniform but my wardrobe for days off (covering formal events through to days spent camping) is deliberately small but extremely versatile.  Those women equate style with owning a lot of clothes and that is not the case at all!! 

*throws hands in air in disgust at your colleagues*

I remember someone at my old job said to me that the difference between me and her was that she had a huge wardrobe and I had $$$ in the bank.  I consider that a compliment!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »
The interesting thing is that the great majority of men probably won't even notice your carefully judged outfit.
Agreed.  26 year old dude here, and I can't tell you what anyone I interacted with yesterday was wearing (including my girlfriend, and we live together).  Or today, actually.  I might remember or notice if it's something goofy or distinct, but that's definitely not my default.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2017, 12:59:58 PM »
Agreed.  26 year old dude here, and I can't tell you what anyone I interacted with yesterday was wearing (including my girlfriend, and we live together).  Or today, actually.  I might remember or notice if it's something goofy or distinct, but that's definitely not my default.

Sort of makes me think of this:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/11/17/tv-host-same-suit-sexism/19161031/

ALso- I'm sure it varies by industry but the creative types I work with definitely notice clothes. I once had an art director notice and correctly identify the make of my purse.

The engineers I work with probably would not notice.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2017, 01:04:52 PM »
They won't notice/appreciate/comment on individual elements...But that doesn't mean they don't notice. And most definitely notice a poorly thought out outfit inappropriate to an important occasion. They'll never acknowledge it's the outfit; they'll call it poise, or maturity, or professionalism. They'll say they "prefer a woman without makeup" but tell an actual woman without makeup she looks unwell. Most men will make a million judgments based on a woman's looks but will never admit it's the outfit...Even the ones who claim they give zero f*cks.

I'll probably never convince you that you do this; maybe you're even one of the few who truly doesn't care. But I've personally known men who will disparage the wearing of makeup and heels in one breath, and comment on how well put together and poised a lady is in the next. So please accept we know the environment in which we are operating.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2017, 02:00:20 PM »
They won't notice/appreciate/comment on individual elements...But that doesn't mean they don't notice. And most definitely notice a poorly thought out outfit inappropriate to an important occasion. They'll never acknowledge it's the outfit; they'll call it poise, or maturity, or professionalism. They'll say they "prefer a woman without makeup" but tell an actual woman without makeup she looks unwell. Most men will make a million judgments based on a woman's looks but will never admit it's the outfit...Even the ones who claim they give zero f*cks.

I'll probably never convince you that you do this; maybe you're even one of the few who truly doesn't care. But I've personally known men who will disparage the wearing of makeup and heels in one breath, and comment on how well put together and poised a lady is in the next. So please accept we know the environment in which we are operating.

Yesssss so much this. Preach, Galliver! Menfolk, I know you mean well, but listen to the women on this one.

I have kind of a weird perspective on all of this because I was a total DGAF tomboy/athlete in high school. I didn't wear makeup, I mostly schlumped around in track pants, whatever ratty shirt I was wearing to practice later, a sports bra, and zero fucks. Then before college I was kind of like, huh, I guess I want to learn how to put on makeup and wear not-sweatpants? And suddenly it was like I got sprinkled with magical Girl Whose Face and Body Adhere to Western Standards of Female Attractiveness--Who is Also Performing Femininity! privilege fairy dust. Same assertive, take-no-shit Fluffmuffin, just in a different package with a completely different reception by the world. Including my allegedly #woke male acquaintances.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2017, 02:30:15 PM »

Tossing away everything you own after the end of every season and buying new is consumerist crap. Buying a few pieces of good quality that you love and will wear for eternity is mustachian.

I don't for a second believe men who say they don't care what a woman looks like. I am the only woman in a company of men - geeky men, IT-types. My coworkers happily walk around in a t-shirt they got for free at an event more than 10 years ago and some will wear it for a week straight.

Of course, they won't be able to describe my outfit and they don't know anything about fashion, style or brands. They will say they don't care about how I dress and they mean it. But if I turn up without makeup and with my hair in a ponytail, they will ask if I feel ill. I don't spend a lot of time in front of the mirror, but mascara and BB-cream make all the difference. They will say they like casual looking women who 'don't need make-up' and when I ask them what they mean they say Katie Holmes and Jennifer Aniston. They are no doubt beautiful and natural looking but not only did they win the genetic lottery, they also spend a lot of time, money and effort looking that 'natural'.

There was a time when I didn't bother that much with clothes and basically wore plain LBD's every day. Although these are supposed to be timeless, if you wear them every day you get a lot of negative comments. If you don't bother to pick out a special outfit for special occasions, people will be insulted you didn't take the time to do so. My male bosses basically wore the same suit every day, changing only minor details like the tie or the shoes. They maybe had a light suit, a blue suit and a black one for formal occasions.  They need to wear something appropriate for the occasion too but no one will be insulted they didn't pick a 'special' suit for them.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2017, 02:33:37 PM »

Agreed.

A man who isn't well put together is hardly noticed, while a woman who isn't put together in the same clothes (t-shirt, jeans) and without makeup is instantly noticed because it's out of the norm.

I probably should get my wardrobe together at some point considering I have only spaghetti straps for casual summer wear and the rest mainly t-shirts, but right now I'd rather just be lazy and buy an outfit when I actually need it and not preemptively. It's kinda nice to not have to dress up for work (plus I do occasionally get dirty).

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2017, 02:34:30 PM »
Yes, men notice good-looking women. The surprising thing is you're all acting surprised about it!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2017, 02:03:04 PM »

I once read that if you want to look expensively dressed you should wear only colors you would find in or on a Mercedes.

So bright green? Yellow? Black with yellow stripe? All from their website.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/the-drive-staging/message-editor%2F1501608825401-mercedes-amg-gt-r-road.jpg
https://wieck-mbusa-production.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/3926590095cc23db154baebef2f4b872f520f2e6/preview-928x522.jpg

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2017, 06:35:19 PM »
You've gotten lots of advice here that is along the lines of what I would say, so I will just leave an anecdote:

A few weeks ago a friend posted a photo of her, myself and my husband playing Monopoly one Christmas many years ago. I commented that I couldn't figure out if it was the year we were 18, 19 or 20 because I still dress like I'm 15.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2017, 06:48:50 PM »
This is where being a fella is a real advantage.  Jeans or shorts, t-shirt or collar shirt.  My uniform for about 30 years now.  A few nicer things for work or weddings etc, when appropriate.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2017, 08:54:34 AM »
I do my best not to be overly trendy. But I do pay some attention and won't wear something if it is clearly out of style (usually just tuck it away in my closet and wait lol). For example, I have a "classic" velvet evening dress. I have not worn it in many years and will not wear it until the style comes back in fashion. I also have some plain button down shirts that now look dated because they have a shorter cut than the current lengthier cuts. So unless I'm tucking them in, I don't wear them either.

I do have a basic dark blue cardigan that I bought over 20 years ago that has always stayed in my regular rotation. And amazingly, still looks as good as new.

I do 95% of my clothes shopping in thrift stores so I spend maybe $50 -$100/year on clothes.

I get rid of clothes when:
- they are clearly out of style
- obviously worn out
- look dreadful on me (i.e. what was I thinking?!!)
- don't fit me anymore (weight gain/loss)

I do keep a few out-of-style things hanging around because I expect they will come back in fashion some day.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2017, 09:30:57 AM »
This week, DD asked me:

DD:
Mom is that a new top? I haven't seen it before.. (long sleeve t-shirt I was wearing).
Me:   Nope

a little while later:
DD:  I think that top is too small on you.
me:  (looking down)  Ha, not too small.   Then I realize.  It is a t-shirt from the era when crop tops were very "in" and only came down to the top of my jeans, (not actually cropped) so I was flashing a 1/2 inch of skin when I reached for things...  at the time, it was one of the longer options available...

So, yes, clothing can definitely get too old as styles change.