Author Topic: How Old is Too Old for Clothing?  (Read 26786 times)

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
How Old is Too Old for Clothing?
« on: August 24, 2017, 09:00:14 AM »
#MustachianPeopleProblem - How long is too long to hold on to clothes?

Through a combination of forced frugality (due to lowish income) and then actively choosing a mustachian-lite lifestyle I have spent little on clothes for the last decade or so. I analyzed my last three years of purchases and actually spent between 0$ - $200 (and the $200 year included replacing undergarments and shoes).

So I work from home which means I don't have to have a ton of work clothes but I am starting to have to interact with people more (more work meetings than in the past, church, elementary school volunteer time, etc) and I do care how I look.

I have things in my closet from the late 90's and early aughts and I am starting to think that these are not viable wardrobe options to choose from anymore - right? No one in their mid 30's should be wearing anything from the Delia's catalog :)

I started to put some stuff together for Goodwill and then was thinking it wasn't even worth it because it is so far out of style that I can't imagine anyone would even want it.

So when do we say "time to pass you on/get rid of you" and update our wardrobe? I try to remind myself that wanting to be stylish is for consumer suckers but I don't want to look like a hopelessly out of date shut-in either. What is y'all's happy medium? and how much is a reasonable amount to spend on clothing?

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
Re: How Old is Too Old for Clothing?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 09:12:04 AM »
I've always wondered if we have this warped sense of how often we should buy clothes because as children you're always having to buy new clothes due to growing.

When we stop growing, we've already got decades of forced habit of buying new clothes so we don't consider that things should still fit.

I'd say buy clothes that aren't "fashionable" and wouldn't look out of place in any particular decade, and the only time you should have to buy new ones are when they get worn out.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 09:21:04 AM »
My favourite casual jacket is older than me, it looks great, fits great, and I don't care that it is dated.

If clothes suit you, it doesn't matter if they were fashionable in the 90s. If they don't suit you, probably better to donate them and avoid buying similar. How timeless / 90s are the individual pieces?

If I am volunteering or at church and someone doesn't like my clothes, they can go and tell someone who cares.

Work is a different thing, I need to look smart (but not fashionable) at work, so worn pieces need to be repaired or replaced.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 09:24:37 AM »
Just wait a little bit longer and they will be fashionable again!

If it were me, I'd probably keep the basics/neutral pieces. I wouldn't keep anything that is obviously outdated and would cause unnecessary attention or obviously worn/faded.

BigHaus89

• Stubble
  • Ride the Spiral to the End
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 09:32:35 AM »
I think that if you're over 70 years old, clothing is optional. You've earned the right at that point!

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 09:35:53 AM »
I only buy clothes when I identify a clear gap in my wardrobe. Sometimes that's due to an old item wearing out (or lost, destroyed-by-pets, etc.). Other times it's a new category of item, or one that I'm finding myself wearing more often than in the past. Very rarely do I replace something simply because of the style, and usually then it's something that was an ill-conceived purchase to begin with.

As for stuff being too out of style for Goodwill, I think that's up to the buyer. Maybe you'll help set the next hipster retro-fashion trend! Or worst case, they throw it into the cloth-baler for bulk re-sale, and the material eventually gets reused/recycled.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 09:36:12 AM »
Just wait a little bit longer and they will be fashionable again!

If it were me, I'd probably keep the basics/neutral pieces. I wouldn't keep anything that is obviously outdated and would cause unnecessary attention or obviously worn/faded.

Some of them are definitely fashionable again but putting them on felt a bit like mutton dressing up as lamb :)

@Playing with Fire UK - I actually find that most outerwear is pretty timeless! My winter coat is 11 years old and I still get compliments on it every year and I have a denim jacket that is almost 20 years old that is also in regular rotation.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 09:38:15 AM »
If you don't wear it anymore, get rid of it.  If you still wear it, and it is still in good condition- keep it.

My oldest shirt is from 1991.  I still like it, it still fits.  My oldest shoes are from 1996. I still like them, they still fit.

I won't get rid of them just because they are old.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 09:39:55 AM »
Age ain't nothin' but a number.  I wear clothes until they wear out.

My rule is an exacting one.

Work attire:  Must be free of stains, holes, and threadbare patches.

Home attire:  Must be largely free of stains, with holes making up less than 10% of total clothed area.

Exercise/lawn clothing:  Must fully cover genital area, and total area of material lost to holes must be less than 50% of total area of total clothed area.

Garage rags:  Clothing that fails the exercise/lawn clothing test.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 09:47:19 AM »

The OP probably needs categories for working at home and work meetings. This standard seems far too exacting for working at home unless you have visitors to your home for work.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 09:50:12 AM »

The OP probably needs categories for working at home and work meetings. This standard seems far too exacting for working at home unless you have visitors to your home for work.

When working from home there's really only a need to wear clothing that is visible on your webcamera when doing group chats.  I'd suggest being naked except for a golf shirt (note - golf shirt must be clean from the naval up).

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 09:56:35 AM »

When working from home there's really only a need to wear clothing that is visible on your webcamera when doing group chats.  I'd suggest being naked except for a golf shirt (note - golf shirt must be clean from the naval up).

After making sure that there isn't a mirror behind you of course.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »
I've always wondered if we have this warped sense of how often we should buy clothes because as children you're always having to buy new clothes due to growing.

When we stop growing, we've already got decades of forced habit of buying new clothes so we don't consider that things should still fit.
It's funny, I kind of had the opposite problem.  Once I hit high school, my mom would encourage me to buy new clothes, and I didn't care enough to (I'd rather wear last year's clothes, even if they don't quite fit).  So any new clothes I had then were ones she bought for me.  Then I moved out and buying clothes wasn't even a thing I ever thought about at all (because it wasn't before; it was "forced upon me").  I bought almost no clothes for about four years. 

Around that point, I had outrun the lifecycle of socks/underwear/shoes (the first shock of noticing that clothes do actually wear out without me outgrowing them, like you said), so I replenished that, donated a bunch of unused or old clothes, and embraced the minimalism.  I've spent maybe $50 (probably less) since at thrift stores on clothes.  My mom usually buys me a shirt for Christmas each year, and that's about my pace of wearing out shirts these days (most though are still 5-6 years old), so I'll buy a pair of pants every two years or so and that's about it now.  But it takes a lot for the prospect of buying clothes to even surface in my brain.  And when it does, I smack it down pretty quickly (I don't enjoy buying clothes, leaving aside the cost entirely).

But to actually address the topic of the thread: I wear them until they wear out or I think they look stupid.  Maybe 5% of clothes I've gotten rid of fit into that second category.  I don't take age into account.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 10:33:44 AM »
If it's a piece I love wearing I wear it until it falls apart.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 10:54:46 AM »

After making sure that there isn't a mirror behind you of course.

I guess it depends on how much you want that raise . . .

Why on Earth would you ever own a piece of clothing you don't love?

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 10:57:03 AM »
Unfortunately- we are judged on how we look and if we are to have influence with clients/ committees we do have to look at least well groomed and up-to-date.  I'm female, so I have probably experienced more judgement in this area than men do. (given you mentioned the Delia's catalog I assume you're female too).  Yes, I say ditch the Delia's. 
Here's what I've done- I hope it helps you:
1. Buy a few button up casual oxford-ish shirts in classic colors (I have white, blue and light red)
2. Buy a few pairs of flat front, well fitting pants (I have khaki, navy and chocolate brown)
3. One blazer ( I have navy)

The classics last so much longer no matter the style and you still feel put together.  Most of these can also be found at Goodwill or other Thrift.  I actually score my three pair of professional pants at Goodwill and they were Brooks Brothers!

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 11:02:16 AM »
I still have some clothes that I acquired in high school. I get rid of clothes when they wear out or I don't like them anymore. I try to only buy them when I really need something.

Getting rid of something just because it is old seems silly. I guess if something is really out style I'd stop wearing it to work, but I try to buy stuff that isn't going to go out of style very quickly. This is probably an easier thing for men to do.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 11:13:17 AM »
Style is determined by how good looking you are, and your confidence while wearing something - not what you wear.  Take any teen heart-throb.  Dress him up in a woman's blouse and black lipstick and get him to strut around confidently.  This will be a new style.  Sound silly?  Look at past styles: skinny jeans, baggy jeans, jeans hanging off your ass, incredibly ripped jeans, jeans that are pre-worn out looking  . . . all silly, all popular styles just of a single type of pants since I've been in highschool.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 11:18:16 AM »
... I guess if something is really out style I'd stop wearing it to work, but I try to buy stuff that isn't going to go out of style very quickly. This is probably an easier thing for men to do.

Yes, men's clothes tend to be less fashionable and more classic styling, whereas women's clothes (even those marketed as 'work wear') tend to be more fashionable and less classic styling (also, frequently much less hard wearing, even at the same store).

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 11:20:43 AM »
I have one of those wrinkle shirts that were a thing several years back, but I never wore mine.  I think it still has the tags.  Does anyone wear those anymore?

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 11:41:48 AM »
Unfortunately- we are judged on how we look and if we are to have influence with clients/ committees we do have to look at least well groomed and up-to-date.  I'm female, so I have probably experienced more judgement in this area than men do. (given you mentioned the Delia's catalog I assume you're female too).  Yes, I say ditch the Delia's. 
1. Buy a few button up casual oxford-ish shirts in classic colors (I have white, blue and light red)
2. Buy a few pairs of flat front, well fitting pants (I have khaki, navy and chocolate brown)

The classics last so much longer no matter the style and you still feel put together.  Most of these can also be found at Goodwill or other Thrift.  I actually score my three pair of professional pants at Goodwill and they were Brooks Brothers!

I like this! And I suppose I need to be more positive about what I have since it sounds like my work wardrobe is bigger than yours and I only go into the office for a few days every other month or so.

My current work wardrobe is:
3 pairs of work slacks - 1 black wide leg (2002-ish from Banana), 1 black cigarette pants (2010-ish), 1 pair olive green skinny pants (2 years old)
2 sweaters - 1 black turtle neck (old- also from banana), 1 v neck maroon tunic (2 years old)
5 button up/blouses (chambray, white, navy blue, navy and red pattern and a black and white stripe (the last two are from Delias and probably 20 years old)
2 summer dresses (black and black and white stripe - new this summer)
1 black cardigan (2000)
2 blazers - 1 red (2011) and 1 black (mid-aughts and looking aged)

I really thought that was enough for my occasional work trips but the last two times I went in to the office different women commented on how I always wear the same things. It made me very self conscious and in the past few weeks I've turned a very critical eye towards my closet.

My work "wardrobe" is my most extensive. Casual clothes include 3 pairs of jeans, 6 t-shirts, and a few flannel button downs and a hoodie for the winter (as well as the work sweaters).

Related to GuitarStv's comment "Style is determined by how good looking you are, and your confidence while wearing something " - I would definitely believe that I'm not projecting confidence in what I wear but my face wouldn't curdle milk or anything so maybe i just need to make sure people are looking at my face :)

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 11:53:18 AM »
the last two times I went in to the office different women commented on how I always wear the same things. It made me very self conscious and in the past few weeks I've turned a very critical eye towards my closet.

That is super rude. I can't believe someone would say something like that to you.

I have about 8 shirts, 5 pairs of pants and 1 pair of shoes that I wear to work. I work 5 days a week, so I wear the same things all the time.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 11:59:02 AM »
I think that if you're over 70 years old, clothing is optional. You've earned the right at that point!

I Early Clothing-Fired. I was completed clothing free by age 34. You could too if you just focused on what's important.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 12:00:55 PM »
the last two times I went in to the office different women commented on how I always wear the same things. It made me very self conscious and in the past few weeks I've turned a very critical eye towards my closet.

That is super rude. I can't believe someone would say something like that to you.

I have about 8 shirts, 5 pairs of pants and 1 pair of shoes that I wear to work. I work 5 days a week, so I wear the same things all the time.
Yeah, seriously, what the fuck.  I'm in a similar boat (couple extra shirts, couple fewer pairs of pants) in terms of work-wear variety.  My shirt I wore to my first interview here six years ago is still in my rotation.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 12:01:39 PM »

FWIW - I don't think they were trying to be rude - more like making chit-chat commentary. One girl was like "Wow -I think you were wearing that cardigan when I had my internship interview here and that was almost 10 years ago." For being a black cardigan it has a distinctive trim on the sleeves so I guess one might notice those things. Also several of the younger women I work with are very on-trend and very into clothes so clothes talk is one of the ways they interact - but all of the sudden it made me very AWARE.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 12:02:22 PM »

+1! This is where my train of thought went when I read the title :).

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 12:03:08 PM »
Not long ago I was feeling the same way as you so what I did was google "classic wardrobe staples" and filled any missing pieces with timeless versions. Whenever I feel bored with my wardrobe I scour flea markets and thrift stores for fun accessories to brighten things up a bit or to take my classics into the next season. Invest in quality pieces that never go out of style and spend pennies on things like costume jewelry and scarves to make it fresh.

As for the snarky comments, I would have replied with something like, I love a classic look, it makes me feel great. Thanks for noticing!

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 12:03:18 PM »

+1! This is where my train of thought went when I read the title :).
Ha - honestly I struggled with wording my subject when I wrote it and definitely did not realize it would come out sounding that way :)

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2017, 12:07:11 PM »
You mean I can't wear my Member's Only jacket any more?  I know it will come back in style some day.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 12:13:11 PM »
You mean I can't wear my Member's Only jacket any more?  I know it will come back in style some day.

I had a friend in his 20's buy a new one last year, so I think you're good.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2017, 12:53:46 PM »

You can wear it all you want.  Just face up it: you aren't a Member anymore.

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2017, 01:10:49 PM »
Fashion is just another part of consumerist brainwashing, what logical sense dies it make to throw away perfectly good clothes in order to buy new cloths that we expect to use for only 10% (or less) of its usable life?

Granted, some fashions are absurd and should never have been worn even when they were fashionable, so feel free to throw those away, but if you liked how it looked 20 years ago and it's still good I say keep wearing it until it wears out.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2017, 01:36:38 PM »
Clothes are cheap. You can get a whole new wardrobe at a thrift store fir $50. Or new clothes for 100, 200. Don't tell me that over a year spending $200 on clothes is just too much of a budget buster. My friends regularly throw swaps, where one trades clothes (free!). I am awash in clothes.

My issue, is my favorite shirt or shorts gets a stain or obvious hole in it, and I'm of the age, I'm not a teenager, I need to let it go, because don't want to look like a slob who is unaware their clothes has stains.

And I'm also at the point in my life, while I am not a clothes horse, I want to feel good about the way I look. In that my clothes fit, are not obviously worn, stained, and yes, out of date (no high-waisted super pleated khakis, even if they are clean and neat). There is no reason to wear ugly clothes, unless you WANT to for some kind of point.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2017, 01:57:31 PM »

I like this! And I suppose I need to be more positive about what I have since it sounds like my work wardrobe is bigger than yours and I only go into the office for a few days every other month or so.

My current work wardrobe is:
3 pairs of work slacks - 1 black wide leg (2002-ish from Banana), 1 black cigarette pants (2010-ish), 1 pair olive green skinny pants (2 years old)
2 sweaters - 1 black turtle neck (old- also from banana), 1 v neck maroon tunic (2 years old)
5 button up/blouses (chambray, white, navy blue, navy and red pattern and a black and white stripe (the last two are from Delias and probably 20 years old)
2 summer dresses (black and black and white stripe - new this summer)
1 black cardigan (2000)
2 blazers - 1 red (2011) and 1 black (mid-aughts and looking aged)

I really thought that was enough for my occasional work trips but the last two times I went in to the office different women commented on how I always wear the same things. It made me very self conscious and in the past few weeks I've turned a very critical eye towards my closet.

My work "wardrobe" is my most extensive. Casual clothes include 3 pairs of jeans, 6 t-shirts, and a few flannel button downs and a hoodie for the winter (as well as the work sweaters).

Related to GuitarStv's comment "Style is determined by how good looking you are, and your confidence while wearing something " - I would definitely believe that I'm not projecting confidence in what I wear but my face wouldn't curdle milk or anything so maybe i just need to make sure people are looking at my face :)

Reading your wardrobe description, I worry the pieces you're picking *in general* won't age well. I think a shift to basic patterns, natural materials, and traditional office cuts is in order. Stick to classic neutrals like navy, brown, or black for pants and stay away from colors that trends like olive. Stay away from cuts that trend, like wide leg or cigarette pants. Stick to a trouser, and it might look like you're not a fashionista, but you also won't look dated. Similarly, patterns in tops don't age well generally. Stick to classic cuts in classic solid colors, and stay away from things that trend like chambray.

Personally, I *do* see there being a minimum cutoff for looking put together for success in a traditional office setting. But you can generally thrift these things, and if chosen *correctly* they will age well. (People don't wear down their work clothes generally if they're in an office setting, it's not like buying used scrubs that tend to be wrecked when donated, haha).

Anyway, all that to say- yes, it sounds like some of your pieces could do with replacement, but replace them more carefully than you have. Strive to look confident and competent, not stylish.

ETA: reminded me of this thread, I found it very useful/educational, hope you do as well: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/spin-off-creating-a-minimalistcapsule-wardrobe-most-recent-update-page-15/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 01:59:15 PM by Bracken_Joy »

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2017, 01:59:19 PM »
The oldest pair of professional (office work) pants that I own (and still wear to work) are charcoal grey, from Old Navy, and were bought in the year 2000.  I think my mom may have bought them for me for my birthday that year.  They are so plain that they never were in--or out--of style.

The only work suit I still have is the first suit I ever got--I bought it in 1995 for my first job interview after college.  It's a wool skirt suit, from a store that is out of business, and it is classic.  I've gotten compliments on it fairly recently--well, sometime in the last five years, which is recent enough for me.  I had several other skirt suits, but I hardly ever wear suits anymore, even to go to court, so I just kept the one.

I prefer to wear dresses to work most days.  Simpler to don one item than to deal with matching multiple items.  Plus they're more comfortable after a yummy lunch.  Goodwill has a nice selection of once-expensive dresses that I can buy for $5 or $7.  I have probably close to 20 dresses that I rotate for work.

EricL

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2017, 02:16:21 PM »
Your clothing is too old if:

1. You wear it like it's made of crystal because the fabric may rip under stress - like aggressive standing

2. The food stains make you a walking Rorschach test or walking Pollack painting

3. The police cite you for indecent exposure or co workers cite you for sexual harassment

4. You look like you're perpetually going to some nostalgia themed costume party (Hammer Time!)

5. The clothing styles are considered fatally uncool and will not be fashionable again in your lifetime

6. For cold/wet weather clothing, you need to wear back up clothes to do the job the original clothes used to do

7. The homeless give YOU spare change

But even if the above are true about your clothes, you can still wear them around the house.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2017, 02:45:20 PM »
I like clothes a lot. I read Vogue. last week a total stranger approached me in a museum to ask me where I got my amazing shoes. The week before the receptionist at work told me how fabulous my dress was. I care what I look like.

Total clothes I have acquired this year:
One scarf (new. large thin cotton, didn't have one like it)
Two white shirts (new. finally found some that aren't see-through! Planning to buy more when on sale.)
One skirt (made out of fabric someone gave me)

Um... That's it! I'm planning to buy a new pair of jeans because my current ones have a hole and a paint smear (they are smart dark jeans, so can be downgraded to house wear but I do need a new pair for 'out'). It's been an unusually profligate year in that I've bought a lot of new clothing. Usually I shop eBay and say yes to people giving me stuff. Clothing is never too old just because it's old.

Want to look good? Fill any major gaps (only own one shirt? Keep wearing the same jumper?), buy maybe three new things to jazz life up a bit (maybe new if they're plain and basic, from eBay if it's something a bit fun), hang dry your clothes and iron everything. Oh, and browse Pinterest (search project 333 to get you started on new combos).

[By the way... Those shoes the stranger loved? Four years old (my second-newest pair), she won't be able to buy any herself! That dress? My mother wore it to work BEFORE SHE WAS PREGNANT WITH ME. Good clothes are good clothes, no matter how old.)

Stubblestache

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2017, 02:56:21 PM »
As long as it looks presentable, idgaf how old it is. I've got shirts that I've had longer than I've been married

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2017, 03:04:15 PM »

When I was working I had clothes I didn't love to death but they had a job to do. Now that I'm not, I can't tell you the last time I put on long pants or a long sleeve shirt.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2017, 04:15:30 PM »
How long is too long to hold on to clothes?

No.  :)

I have clothes that are older than I am.  I have never purchased stylish clothes, so as long as clothes are still in good shape, I keep wearing them.  I buy clothes on an as-needed basis, used when possible.

YES!  I hate shopping (and sometimes there aren't enough hand-me-downs), so it was such a relief to stop growing.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2017, 04:36:08 PM »
I've got t-shirts and a sweatshirt from the 80s.
If you look at a picture of designer Carolina Herrera, you can't tell the era by her clothes.  Her white shirt and full skirts are both stylish and timeless.  Once a genuine style is found, there is no need to dress any other way. 

Kaybee

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2017, 04:38:28 PM »

Those women and that type of comment make me so angry!!!  Your work wardrobe sounds ok (I'd have to see it to see if things LOOKED dated) but honestly, the next time you get a comment about wearing the same thing, reply in the sweetest voice that you've been able to *curate* your clothing into a "Parisian wardrobe" (which is actually just a minimalist wardrobe but throwing the fashionably-equivalent term makes it sound fancier, lol) and that you love how freeing the experience has been.  I work in uniform but my wardrobe for days off (covering formal events through to days spent camping) is deliberately small but extremely versatile.  Those women equate style with owning a lot of clothes and that is not the case at all!! 

*throws hands in air in disgust at your colleagues*

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2017, 04:40:35 PM »
I just tried to Google "timeless styles for men". What I got was a ridiculous orgy of fanciness, unbecoming a mustachian.

Since I can't trust Google for this, does anyone here have any ideas for things men can wear that don't become outdated?

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2017, 04:43:40 PM »
To answer your question, it's "too old" if it's torn, stained, or stretched out of shape. Or if you feel somehow "less presentable" wearing it (unless you want to wear it for working out, or gardening). Or it it somehow doesn't fulfill it's purpose (I'm looking at you, stretched-out jog bra!)

I've said this elsewhere, but I sorted through my entire wardrobe a while ago and folded almost everything remaining kondo-style. Now what I have fits in a dresser and a small closet, and I can see everything at a glance. Everything is my style (not that of some random internet-type) and I feel presentable enough for a weeks worth of biking around town and trying to look and act like an adult. (Plus, there are some work clothes for travel, but I work at home mostly.)

I know, I should be able to volunteer in school in my circa-1988 era "Monster Trucks on Wheels" T-shirt and be taken seriously, but it takes no more effort to wear a solid black V-neck and then I look like a reasonable adult. It also shows that I am taking what I'm doing seriously and with enough respect to try to model reasonable adult attire and behavior.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2017, 04:59:34 PM »
I just tried to Google "timeless styles for men". What I got was a ridiculous orgy of fanciness, unbecoming a mustachian.

Since I can't trust Google for this, does anyone here have any ideas for things men can wear that don't become outdated?

Blue jeans, black jeans, khaki pants. White tee shirts, black tee shirts, gray tee shirts. Polo shirts seem to have some staying power, and a few of those to mix it up. Button down shirts in checks and colors work. Banana Republic makes nice ones - good sourced from outlets or better yet, gently used. A decent blazer or two is not a bad idea, just depends on your work/social life. There aren't a lot of occasions for men to wear a suit in our more casual times, but it's handy to have when you need it. V-neck or crew neck sweaters for cooler weather; khaki or plaid shorts for summer. I'd say most of this list is pretty timeless. Jack Kerouac wore white tees and khakis!

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2017, 05:02:19 PM »

"Wardrobe basics for men" turns up a better selection for me.

Navy Blazer
Topcoat in a neutral color
A few sweaters in a quality material like merino wool
Brown wingtip loafers
Dark jeans, without holes or stains
Khakis
White cotton dress shirt
Gray wool suit

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2017, 05:36:27 PM »
i hope to go to my grave never owning a navy blazer, grey wool suit, or pair of wingtips.  I've got some merino wool sweaters, but they're for cycling.  :P

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2017, 05:47:36 PM »
i hope to go to my grave never owning a navy blazer, grey wool suit, or pair of wingtips.  I've got some merino wool sweaters, but they're for cycling.  :P

Haha! Fair enough. :p That was a general list of the items that seemed to overlap from the search, but I think those are classic items that have survived the trends. Of course ymmv. ;)

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2017, 05:52:45 PM »

But can we take fashion advice from a guy who advises wearing "not too stained" clothes to work? :) :) :)

cakie

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2017, 06:12:39 PM »

When I was working I had clothes I didn't love to death but they had a job to do. Now that I'm not, I can't tell you the last time I put on long pants or a long sleeve shirt.
I moved somewhere warm where I have a grubby uniform for work. My strategy for casual clothes was to keep only one of each (long sleeve shirt and long pants). Then I have something to wear if it's unusually cold or I'm traveling.

I donated half a dozen garbage bags of clothes after my first year here, once I knew how little I needed!! All my old dressy work clothes went in that pile, except 2 dresses I really like. If I ever get a desk job in the future, I can always find more at an op shop

To the OP: if you love an item, keep wearing it until it is rags. But work out what suits you and your body type, and gradually pick replacements in the future that follow this. You end up looking really good that way :)

eg. The clothing that was popular when I was in school (00s) was totally wrong for me. I'm an extreme hourglass, so I have now taught myself to embrace high-waisted everything, you'd be surprised the difference this makes!