Author Topic: How much per year do your hobbies cost?  (Read 21118 times)

MMMdude

• Bristles
How much per year do your hobbies cost?
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:51:06 AM »
Please factor in all in costs!  ie if you love to golf and it requires an hour drive to the course one way, please factor in fuel costs.  I won't get so anal for you to have to include auto depreciation :-)

Cross country skiing - $50 per year.  Trails are across my house and cost nothing.  Occasionally I drive to another couple spots and every 10 years or so i'd have to buy new equipment.  Decent used set should run $300

Kayak - $350.  Currently rent each time and no plans to buy.  The lake is a 45 minute one way drive so this would be limited to 2X per month in summer.

Golf - $1500.  This would entail annual muni multi pass admission fee, driving range, driving to said places and once per decade equipment upgrading

Mountain Biking - $150.  Trails outside my door, however this cost assumes once per decade used bike purchase and occasional new cleats

Hiking - $100.  New shoes every few years.  Trails outside my door

Downhill skiing - $1500.  This is the expensive one for me that I could cut out if need be. Cost includes travel to ski hills (4 hours away), lift tickets, AirBnB and equipment replacement.

Gym - $500. Not sure if this should even be considered a hobby.  Anyways my city gym has pools, classes, sauna, etc so some hobby element to it i suppose.

Reading - $0.  Library pass.

That's all I can think of for now.  So around $4000 per year?

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Re: How much per year do your hobbies cost?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 12:02:38 PM »
Most of our hobbies are free.

We both play a lot of video games, but with buying and selling we generally manage to keep it cost-neutral.

We hike, but take public transit to get there. We spent $457 in 2016 on public transit, but that was for everything, not just hiking.

Boyfriend plays Dungeons and Dragons with friends, which is free, except for the public transit i guess (included above).

We read a lot, but mostly from the library. Our "Digital items" spending was $244 for 2016, which was basically ebooks and video games.

I take ballet classes, but now they're covered by my employer wellness plan.

Our biggie hobby is travel though - $8,882 last year for two people to go to Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Ireland, Vegas, and a bunch of little trips around our province. We've spent a similar amount in 2017 gong to Thailand, China, Spain, Portugal, and France (+ mini trips).

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 12:06:39 PM »
Let's see, this year:

Windsurfing = About $700, figuring $350 for lessons, $250 for a new-to-me set of kit, and $100 misc. stuff.

Fruit Growing = About $100 for trees from the state nursery this year, but a lot more if I'm amortizing the $45,000 I spent for 5 acres of play land back in 2011.

Home Improvement == More than I care to admit...

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 12:24:02 PM »
Probably 3-4 K a year on bikes and bike related travel.  I know.  Terrible.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 12:35:59 PM »
€500 - Weekly sewing class + travel costs (public traffic). €50/month in total but no class during summer.
€250 - Sewing supplies. This is just a guess, it might be slightly lower.
 €72 -  My share of Netflix account, if that counts. I like watching while sewing.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 12:38:22 PM »
Yoga: $600/yr (studio membership)
Reading: $0 (library only)
Walking: $0 (I'm told walking is not a hobby, so relabel this as "urban hiking" if you prefer)
Painting: $20 in supplies so far (We'll see how long it lasts. I suck so I'm practicing on cardboard boxes.)
Writing: $0
Hiking: $35/yr (pass to state park)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:55:50 PM by wordnerd »

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 12:39:02 PM »

So far this year I have spent $0.  This is for running and biking combined.  I got a new pair of running shoes but used a gift certificate to get them.  I probably spent $4 on gas to haul the bikes for the 4th of July biking trip.  So actually, maybe more accurately per the original request  = $4 for gas. 

However, my analysis of this is that it is not a success in frugality but rather a failure of personal wellbeing. I don't persue hobbies enough and its a bad sign.  I work too much and am over extended with work.   

I hope this thread gaines some traction because it may provide to interesting exaples for me.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 12:50:40 PM »
Loaded question right here. lol Last year and all years before will be nothing like next year and beyond. Sprintcar racing, usually $100,000+. That includes truck fuel, racing license, pit fee, sometimes hotel and everything that goes along with racing. There were years way back when that the cost was way more. We used to go racing 5+ night a week when we were young.

Now I am basically out of the racing scene except a $12 fee to enter the grandstands every Saturday night. Not only will I not have anything to do with a racecar but I plan to cut back to just 1 night a week going to watch.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 01:04:29 PM »
Gym-$996 got the year but whole family of 6 pounds the heck out of it so worth it for us.

Walking-Free
Library-Free

Guess I need more hobbies...

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 02:09:33 PM »
Looks like the past few years we're running about $300/month combined for all our hobbies.  It used to be about 100$/month higher, but in the past few years we've cut that down.  This amount feels appropriate.  I wish we could recreate more than we do, but if we did it would likely just be more of the cheaper stuff.

I am not counting gym fees because I don't consider exercise a hobby, and I don't count 'walking' which I also do for health, and only in our neighborhood because there are only a handful of places to hike in a nice outdoor setting within 3 hours' drive, so we almost never do that.

I'm not counting travel, because most of our travel is related to work or family obligations.  We budget separately for our very occasional vacations, which happen every 3 or 4 years. 

So, hobbies consist of week to week or day to day recreation.  The main one is gardening/plants (~100$/mo), which is my main hobby.  Husband's hobby spending varies a lot more, but seems to average about 100/month if you average over about 10 years.  Some years he is spendy (building kayak from kit, falconry, hunting, etc.)  Other years he spends very little.  And it looks like about 100$/mo covers all our other combined spending on movies, theater, concerts, books (mostly library now), netflix, etc.

So that works out to ~3600$/yr for two of us.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 02:12:09 PM by wenchsenior »

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 02:20:26 PM »
Hmm. If “gardening” is a hobby, we spend about $500/year on that, but we do get a lot of produce as a result.

I knit, and I spent about $400 on yarn last year. Everyone in my family has many pairs of wool socks as a result.

My dh has a pottery studio in the garage and probably spends about $500/year on that.

We read, we walk, we’ve got plenty to do.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 06:13:11 PM »
Hmm. If “gardening” is a hobby, we spend about $500/year on that, but we do get a lot of produce as a result.

I knit, and I spent about $400 on yarn last year. Everyone in my family has many pairs of wool socks as a result.

My dh has a pottery studio in the garage and probably spends about $500/year on that.

We don't grow produce, that's why I counted it.  It's all flowers and other insect and/or bird-supporting stuff.   I mean, there's a few herbs in there (though the dill is mostly for the swallowtails and I let the basil flower because the bees love it), and a handful of currants (if I can sneak some from the birds that eat hundreds of them), and a few cherry tomatoes and some hot peppers.  But mostly it is wildlife supporting. And beautiful, of course.  And the species list our little mid-city backyard has attracted over the years is AWESOME.  I mean, seriously amazing...at least 75 species of birds alone.  It's like we have a neon bullseye on our roof during migration that says, "stop here!"

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 04:34:52 AM »
Let's see, dive trips out of the country so far are costing ~$2k each, 2-3 of those per year... plus diving in the country at ~$500/weekend (dives, gas, food, lodging)... ~5 of those expected next year (depending on work schedule could be more of less), so we'll say diving is about $6.5-8.5k.

Then there's poker nights at ~$75/night, ~17 nights/year = $1,275

Then there's golf at ~$50/round, ~20 rounds per year plus balls (used) for around $100/year = $1,100.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 04:57:51 AM »
I crochet/knit/craft, so total tally this year was around $600.

I also like to go birding, so gas and a new set of bins...probably $800.

I didn't take any trips this year, but I did put $300/month into my travel fund for another huge road trip in the future so $3600.

Video games...around $250.

I read and on Prime Day I picked up a 24 month subscription to Kindle Unlimited which works out to about $6/month.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 05:05:01 AM »
Paddle boarding made me money bought 9 at 150 sold 7 for 500 two years ago. And then invested it so this is getting more and more negative.  Started at -3150.

Boating. 3-4k per year wakeboarding and wakesurfing.

Travel 1k or less per year due to travel hacking.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 05:55:36 AM »
Reading: $50 per year on paid Kindle books and otherwise a free Kindle books because of my Samsung phone. I am not reading so much anymore, compared to earlier years when I commuted by train for 2 hours a day.

Cross country skiing - $400 per year roughly for driving to the trails and sometimes parking fees. Including new skis or shoes bought on sale from time to time.

Kano trip - $800 (750 + 50). Driving 75kms each way plus some toll money. Including buying a new canoe after 17 years of use. The canoe trip itself is only $50.

Hiking - $220 per year.  Including one big car trip a year and buying new shoes from time to time.

Astronomy - $800 per year. $600 for equipment so far, since it is all quite new. This should get cheaper per year as the years go by. You can also argue for that this has all been paid for and I can now watch for free. $200 a year for visiting an astronomy event twice a year that is quite a bit of driving.

Mushroom picking and courses - $200 a year currently. I did a course last year, an exam this year and I bought a pile of books, some second hand. Some trips to the city to join courses. I hope that this hobby can start generating some money next year, when I can check other people's mushrooms and get paid for doing that. As I am now certified, and last year on my way to be certified, I get my courses for free now. But I still need to get there.

Visiting our mountain cabin - $2900 a year. $1800 a year to own it, including having access to electricity, firewood, private road, property taxes, garbage collection. @106 per trip to get there, approximately 10 times a year. This year not so often.

I notice that some of my hobbies are costing money, because they are organized in the city which is 25 miles away. There is a lot of toll money to drive into the city and the train also costs money.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:06:34 AM by Linda_Norway »

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 06:36:06 AM »
This thread struck a chord as we're just about to spent an un-mustachian £600 or so on theatre tickets - but that will be to see 12 or 13 different plays over the next 6 months at our excellent local theatre.  The good news is that the kids are now old enough not to need a babysitter.  The bad news is that they are old enough to take with us!

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 07:48:39 AM »
The only hobby I really spend any money on is golf.  I spend about $2000 per year on golf.  This includes rounds, range balls, instruction, and equipment.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 07:50:08 AM »
How do you want to account for the value of time? I volunteer 12 hrs a week at a local golf course in exchange for unlimited golf and use of the practice facilities. No money is exchanged, but if I compare the value of the golf that I consume to the amount of time I volunteer, it comes out to about minimum wage.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 08:10:24 AM »
I don't track it, but I'd say ~$10K-$15K/yr which includes travel to do sporty stuff various places.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 08:17:39 AM »
Terrible example here, I got into frugality (preMMM) so I could spend 30K a year on sailboats.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 08:22:19 AM »

We don't grow produce, that's why I counted it.  It's all flowers and other insect and/or bird-supporting stuff.   I mean, there's a few herbs in there (though the dill is mostly for the swallowtails and I let the basil flower because the bees love it), and a handful of currants (if I can sneak some from the birds that eat hundreds of them), and a few cherry tomatoes and some hot peppers.  But mostly it is wildlife supporting. And beautiful, of course.  And the species list our little mid-city backyard has attracted over the years is AWESOME.  I mean, seriously amazing...at least 75 species of birds alone.  It's like we have a neon bullseye on our roof during migration that says, "stop here!"

We grow lots of flowers and bird and bee food, too, but if I can keep dh out of the garden ornament department, it doesn’t cost too much at this point! I bought all my seeds for the last year from a basket of clearance packets at the ReStore, and I should have plenty for next spring, too.

We do have a little decorative pond and we made some improvements to that this year, which accounts for most of our spending.

I’m hoping to organize a plant and seed swap next spring, too.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 12:45:12 PM by Cranky »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 08:42:52 AM »

We grow lots of flowers and bird and her food, too, but if I can keep dh out of the garden ornament department, it doesn’t cost too much at this point! I bought all my seeds for the last year from a basket of clearance packets at the ReStore, and I should have plenty for next spring, too.

We do have a little decorative pond and we made some improvements to that this year, which accounts for most of our spending.

I’m hoping to organize a plant and seed swap next spring, too.

Thankfully, I'm mostly out of backyard space to fill with perennials, which is where most of the $ go.  Seeds for annuals are much cheaper, and that's where I'm going to try to concentrate the next few years.  Eventually, we might get on with our dream of ripping out the horrific Bermuda grass in the front lawn and going to xeriscape, which would involve a whole new round of perennial purchasing.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 08:48:08 AM »
Interesting question. Like RC ^ I don't track this stuff, and probably never will.

Thinking about it a bit this morning I'd say I'm safely below 5k annually. This is likely due to the fact that sea kayaking is easily my #1 hobby, both in terms of enjoyment and time spent doing the activity vs. others - I hit 500km paddled in the summer of 2016. I have several boats, but my favourite is a 18.5 ft Kevlar/Fibreglass model that I bought in 1998. Apart from a new paddle and sprayskirt every 5 years or so, some seat repairs here and there...the hobby is incredibly cheap...almost free really. It helps greatly that I am able to carry it down to the beach, just meters from where I store it...no need to put it on a vehicle and drive it anywhere. Though I do sometimes like to travel to new areas and that means ferry fares enter the picture.

From what I've seen, it's a much cheaper hobby than biking where the abuse on the equipment (especially MTB'ing) and a bunch of moving parts means maintenance costs can be a factor. My 19 year-old kayak, apart from a few scratches, still looks shiny and new - I NEVER run it up ontothe beach. I shudder inwardly when I see people do that. :)

Gardening and fishing probably cost me around $1000 each per year. I have only 3 years of gardening behind me now and I still find myself buying equipment and soil amendments (bags of SeaSoil mostly) every year. The main expense for fishing is putting fuel in the boat...$100 or so to fill it from a quarter tank. For the bounty of fish, crab and prawns we receive it doesn't seem unreasonable. I almost hesitate to call gardening and fishing "hobbies" - they are integral to the lifestyle I've been trying to cultivate since FIRE. Though they are "fun" to me - these activities are actually providing sustenance for family and friends.

Hiking is cheap...running is cheap. Don't play video games near as much as I used to.

Gym (about a block away, so I walk) membership costs me about $500 per year. This is money very well spent for me...for the benefits I receive from it, a ridiculous bargain really.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 10:26:55 AM »
I don't track it, but I'd say ~$10K-$15K/yr which includes travel to do sporty stuff various places.

This is probably us, too. I have a LOT of hobbies, as does DH. 

Probably our most expensive hobby is downhill skiing.

exige

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 10:34:18 AM »
I dont know the exact amount but my wife and I Race and train for triathlon and running events year round. Between shoes, bikes, pool expenses and race entry I would guess about 3k?

Most of our other hobbies are free hiking etc

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 10:57:52 AM »
I'm a marathoner.  I buy 1 pair of $100 shoes per year, about $50 of clothing and $200 in race entries.  So $350/ year.  Next year will be slightly more b/c for my 40th birthday I'm doing two travel races!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2017, 11:05:05 AM »
I'm a marathoner.  I buy 1 pair of $100 shoes per year, about $50 of clothing and $200 in race entries.  So $350/ year.  Next year will be slightly more b/c for my 40th birthday I'm doing two travel races!

How many KMs/miles do you get out of one pair of shoes?

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2017, 12:08:24 PM »
Flying airplanes consumes a mid-five-figure sum every year, though that covers essentially all of our family's domestic travel (typically 5-6 trips a year x 4 people plus a dog).

DumpTruck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2017, 12:13:07 PM »
Well... after I dropped racing cars my hobbies seem really inexpensive.

My budget was about $10k per year to go to every race weekend and that includes traveling to two far away race events for nationals. Cheaper if I only do local races, would come out to around $8k. If nothing breaks.

Sold all that crap, and have never been happier. 3 years ago I built a gaming/editing rig and that cost me $2k. The rest of my hobbies are building out my travel live-in van which is costing me quite a bit, but once it's done, I will be living in it rent free (less insurance and fuel of course!)

The skills i learn from the van could be a new career. I love building solar systems it turns out!

beee

• Stubble
    • HoneyMoney.io
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 12:53:54 PM »
Video games — $0, most of the time I just rent games from the library.
Gym — $200/year.
My hobby project — –$10k/year, makes me money.
Travel — $6k/year on average.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2017, 01:50:50 PM »
Spending on my hobby is 100% within my life happiness plan and not some place I wish to go out of my way to save money on. 

Last year I spent about 10k/yr on my art hobby as I am currently taking night classes at the university and I also like to travel for art workshops. I expect this level of expenditure to be consistent at least for the next few years until I complete my certificate. 

My spending level included some bulk supply purchases which will carry me well through to my retirement start in 3 years time.  Quality art supplies typically have a long shelf life, so as long as I will use them, I have no issue with spending now when I have a job, to stockpile for when I am retired.  I only do this for things that I can get killer bulk pricing deals on, like sheets of watercolour paper - the price is much cheaper if you get a 100 sheet bulk discount and stack that with a 30% off sale.  Having been working at my art hobby for 5 years now, I am quite confident that I won't lose interest before the supplies run out, and if I were to, I am equally confident that I can sell the supplies to recoup the costs. 

I expect to eliminate or reduce some costs when I retire through selling my work and teaching workshops.  Right now, I just can't be bothered; with working full time and going to school at night, I don't have the time or energy to monitize the hobby.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2017, 02:21:23 PM »
Mine looks like it was just over $2k this past year, which includes books, a gym membership, crafting supplies, gardening supplies, movie tickets, and some other miscellaneous "fun stuff" that I play with. I'm planning to get significantly more of my books out of my local library from now on, because there's really no reason for me to buy a book so that I can read it once when I can get it for free out of my favorite local institution. (I also moved this summer and had to move all my books and it sucked, I tell you, it sucked.)

Looking at my finances, though, I wonder if I should count eating out as a hobby... that one certainly skews everything. I need to get better about not grabbing burritos because I Just Don't Feel Like Cooking.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2017, 03:08:32 PM »
Dump Truck, What type of vehicle did you race?

PhilB, Since I got out of racing we will probably go the same route as you. Theatre tickets seem so dang high here too. Lucky thing for us our 14 year old grandson (lives with us) has no interest in going so we get off cheaper than you. lol

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »
Terrible example here, I got into frugality (preMMM) so I could spend 30K a year on sailboats.

We live on ours, so we don't spend anything on that hobby, it is all just rent and maintenance :)

DumpTruck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2017, 03:30:06 PM »
Dump Truck, What type of vehicle did you race?

PhilB, Since I got out of racing we will probably go the same route as you. Theatre tickets seem so dang high here too. Lucky thing for us our 14 year old grandson (lives with us) has no interest in going so we get off cheaper than you. lol

I started out just tracking my Corvette Z06, I realized quickly just tracking that vehicle was crazy expensive, so to "save money" bought a full on racecar, a 1995 Firebird CMC (to compete in the NASA CMC series) along with a 24 foot fully enclosed trailer.

Then I modified my 2006 Tundra with a trans temp sensor and a 40,000 BTU transmission cooler and weight distribution hitch etc.

It was a lot of fun! Racing is amazing but it's a ton of work and very expensive. I miss it, but at the same time I feel very light knowing I dont storage for a trailer and a bazillion cars.

I still take my 2003 GSXR 1000 to the track and that's pretty cheap comparatevely. I got a used leather suit for like $150, gloves and boots were around $300, racing pads and fluid and tires are cheap for a bike.

Until you crash then I got NCR engine cover to replace my broken one for $150 used, and then buttoned her back up with some this and that.

DumpTruck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2017, 03:33:57 PM »
a gaming rig and an iRacing simulator is so much less expensive than real racing! But it's just not the same :L

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2017, 03:55:43 PM »
We have one hobby that we both put our hearts into:
We bought our 1915 house mainly because we wouldn't have to tear out any previous remodeling and the oak woodwork had never been painted. We bought it from the original owner, who never had children, it hadn't been decorated since the 40's and you could tell the heat and electric had been done years ago, so this house was just aching for renovation!

Separately his main hobby is golf. He travels around to different courses, some out of state, but we live 2 miles from the one he is a member of.  Probably totals  $5000/year.
Me-before my accident I was very busy raising and showing basenjis. I was known as being committed to the health and temperaments of my dogs, and those I produced, and had both American and Canadian champions, both in the ring and on the lure coursing field.
Then the accident. I had a traumatic brain injury and though I could do all this if there were no problems, I'm not sure I could handle a problem, so, no breeding or showing.
They say in showing, get a breed you love, so I'm glad I did.
I went all over the country, and Canada and with entrance fees, probably it was about $5000. We live in Ohio and one year TheHusbandHalf and I drove out to southern CA and up to Portland for a few shows, and then took a leisurely drive back to Ohio.
I can't say I actually miss all that, because I'm glad of what I CAN do after the accident, but when the 4 dogs that I kept are gone, there will be no more.
TheHusbandHalf has a well supplied workshop but he's usually making things for the house so the cost is not considered a hobby expense. Same with my sewing.  I spend a lot of time in the yard, but again, if it's for the house/yard, it's not a hobby expense.
I don't spend $5000 on the dogs anymore, but I do seem to spend money 'decorating this house. Couldn't even come up with a total though.

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2017, 04:11:45 PM »
Wow, this is where my mustache shrivels up and dies. Fishing is probably $1000/year. I lump my vacations into this so it kinda offsets. Boat is $250/yr in insurance, but the gas, ramp, and bait is usually paid by my buddies. Camping is under the vacation fund so probably $2500/ year. Insurance is $75/year. Gardening is probably $150 for plants etc... Wood working is dependent on what I do and I build a lot of side projects and furniture for side cash. Every hobby is paid for in cash (boat, camper, tools,)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2017, 05:26:59 PM »
Oh god.

A lot. More than I want to admit here.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2017, 06:31:57 PM »
Dump Truck, Cool. Be careful!

TheWifeHalf, That is cool that you bought the house. We just bought a 1957 house. It's real dang close to being totally remodeled. It has what we call WAVY BRICK. You don't find houses nowadays like these old ones. Have fun fixing it up!

Erica

• Bristles
  • Married
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2017, 09:45:54 PM »
Cost is way too much. But since my hobbies keep me in shape and happy, and retirement is a worldly concept, if I did this until sixties or more, I'd be financially fine. It makes me feel at age 50, I am already retired. So no goals really, I have arrived.

Savings are a conflict since the bible never says to invest (give your money to another or be in the mercy of another) but instead save for a rainy day, I make most of my savings in the form of cash and into a safe. Our "dummy" safe is in the garage in case we get robbed. Like word gets out we have a safe and alot of money in it, we won't loose much $$ Otherwise contribute a little to the 401k & HSA and we flip real estate here and there, at a small scale.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:47:40 PM by Erica »

VolcanicArts

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2017, 11:02:10 PM »
My hobbies are pretty cheap and I’m happy to say I’ve even turned one into a small business opportunity. Hobby 1: board gaming. This is a meetup group where we meet about once a week. Most people supply the games especially the newer games, but I own about 100. The main cost is really just gas since I only rarely purchase the games and if I’m hosting food and drinks. Cost is less than $40 a month, so about $480 a year. My second hobby is woodworking. I’ve spent a few years along with my brother converting our garage into a small workshop. We have all the business requirements and paperwork finished and sell some of our finished products through consignment stores, craft fairs, church festivals, friends, and a website. The main costs are supplies like lumber, stains, glue, machines, and also monthly rent for our consignment stores. I would estimate between the two of us we probably spend $250 a month (our production is not very high right now as we both work full time jobs). Right now we are probably close to breaking even or a little profit every month. Our profits should increase over the next few months once we have more consignment space available, and better networking.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2017, 01:31:42 AM »
My only hobby that costs anything is target shooting. I spend maybe 1.5-2.0 k a year on it.

Debonair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • DebonairDylan
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2017, 03:07:50 AM »
Vidio games: I mainly buy older games and still play Skyrim most of the time maybe 30USD a year.

reading: it's hard to find books in English sometimes and I like reading what my friends have written probably about 30 to 50 USD A year. Working on my own book cut down on my reading this year.

Travel: probably my biggist hobby I probably spend 2 to 3 thousand a year on it. I write a travel blog so along with liking it, it feels like a good way to blow money. This includes visiting family in the USA.

Biking: its my only means of transit so commuting is mixed into it's 100 USD or so a year cost. I run lots of batteries out of juice.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2017, 03:09:32 AM »
I'm no longer in a band, so the 60 per month for rehearsal room rental and the money spent on periodic gear upgrades aren't a factor any more. Most of my hobby spending is on running and cycling, and on race fees.

Running - I spend about 120 a year on two pairs of shoes, and my club membership is covered by my employer. Running clothing is perhaps 50 a year.

Cycling - in 2017 my spending has been about a hundred, for aero bars and an aero road helmet. It's unlikely to be significantly different in 2018, but in 2019 I may be dropping a ridiculous amount of money on a time trial bike. If I do decide to buy one, it'll be a couple of thousand at least.

Race fees - this is where it adds up. I'd guess I spend about 250 a year on race entry fees, most of which are within riding distance of home. I have done big events in the past, but for anything outside of my home city I'm looking at maybe a hundred for the race fee, another hundred for basic accommodation, and however much transport works out to. I did events like these in 2015 and 2016, but don't plan on any for the next few years.

LittleWanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2017, 08:54:14 AM »

You run marathons and you only go through one pair of running shoes per year?  Wow!  I'm lucky if I get 400 miles out of a pair of shoes. 

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2017, 09:09:55 AM »

What races?

How many KMs/miles do you get out of one pair of shoes?

PBI, I get about 400-500 miles in on mine. But mine are low profile/not much shoe and I feel like they wear out quicker. I usually buy a new pair at about 300 miles and start breaking them in and alternating.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2017, 10:59:43 AM »
In 2016 I spent $870 (US dollars) on hockey.  That includes a 22 mile round trip drive to the rink at $0.50 per mile.  In 2017 it will come in at $540.

Reading = almost nothing thanks to an excellent public library. 

Hiking = don't keep track well enough to say.  I don't think I have bought anything besides travel to the trailhead and parking.

exige

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2017, 03:06:25 PM »

You run marathons and you only go through one pair of running shoes per year?  Wow!  I'm lucky if I get 400 miles out of a pair of shoes.

was gonna say the same im doing Triathlon and only hitting about 40 MPW and rip through multiple pairs that are dead after 400 miles.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!