17 (7.6%)
$400-$700 pa
5 (2.2%)
$700-$1000 pa
3 (1.3%)
Too Much
2 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 220

Author Topic: How much do you spend on haircuts?  (Read 6931 times)

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How much do you spend on haircuts?
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2020, 09:10:53 AM »
I have short hair and was getting a $25 haircut about every 8 weeks.  When it was long (halfway to my waist) I did it myself.  I've always done my own bangs because they need trimming every few weeks.

With Covid I am at that shaggy messy stage, my last haircut was March 17.  I hate having hair on my neck in the summer heat and humidity.  How long can clippers cut? I don't want "guy short" hair.
One reason I keep my hair long is that it is so easy to just stick in a pony tail, braid or bun when it gets hot out. No having to bother cutting every few weeks to get it off my neck. I always wonder why more people don't just do that? I had short hair a few times and it was a major PITA to deal with.

Agreed. I’ve often heard women who cut their hair short say they did it because it would be so much easier to deal with. I always found the exact opposite — my short hair had to be washed and styled every day.

Now with the pandemic, my friends with shorter hair are super-frustrated about needing a haircut. I’m just letting mine get longer with curiosity at how long it will get before I’m finally able to go back to my stylist.
Plus it was always in my face or I had to put a million clips in it to keep it off. I often just put it in a bun with a soft hair tie (scrunchie?) and it'll stay that way forever. Even sleep like that. No bun headaches either. I didn't know that was a thing but I can see that it could be. Plus I don't do much to it so no need for any styling or products but its fairly fine and straight. Putting it up in a bun over night leaves it with a lot of soft curls and seems thicker too if I want to glam it up. When it was short I only had one style option too. I like the versatility. And I like not havi g to spend time or money on it. Other then brushing it occasionally (a brush I've had forever) it's very easy.

My hair has enough volume/texture that I literally just brush it into shape when it's wet and let it dry, and it's good for like 5 days.  Sometimes I have to re-wet the back in the morning if I slept funny and it made a weird part.  I 100% recognize that I'm super lucky with that, though. 

The only things I don't like about my short hair are:

1) The cost of getting it cut by someone I trust.  I've had enough bad experiences with Cost Cutters even with long hair that I am sticking to the person I am sure will give me what I want.
2) The fact that if it's windy from the wrong direction, your hair WILL end up flopping about all crazy in your face unless you wear a hat.

I always see people with long hair that's so pretty, and think "I should grow my hair out, that's what I want!!!", but I feel like my hair doesn't look that great long unless I actually do it (straighten, curl, braid, whatever), and I just don't care enough for that right now.  We have a 4 year old and a 1 year old, and I am at work at 6 am.  And I have to pull my hair up/back to do lab work anyway, so then it's up all day, and it gives me a headache. 

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2020, 10:36:33 AM »
I've been cutting my own earlobe-length reverse bob for four years now, using the same Wahl clippers, Wahl "Peanut" small trimmer, Crea clip, and haircutting scissors that I started with. A couple things I've learned that may help others: Give yourself plenty of time and good lighting. If you don't get it perfect, go back the next day and fine-tune your cut. If you are in front of the bathroom sink and mirror, cover the sink with a big towel or something so you won't gradually block the drain with hair. Get one of those black plastic capes, and you won't get all itchy from little hairs on your neck and back. Keep a hand vacuum within reach for quickly cleaning up the hairs and eliminating the mess. Get in the shower after your haircut and give yourself a good shampoo--for looks and also to rinse off any loose/stray hairs.

I'm the farthest thing from being a cosmetologist, but I like my own haircuts better than salon cuts for the looks, money and time savings, and compliments that I get.

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2020, 12:24:55 PM »

$170 or less per year.  I buy a discount gift card from Great Clips around Oct each year.  I think it's $10.99 per cut now. Add in $3-4$ tip per cut.  I load up the card with 12 cuts or enough for one per month.  I use coupons for Great Clips in-between, when they are available. They are usually around $9 per cut.

BJ 

cookielover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2020, 09:43:56 PM »
My husband cuts his own hair, but I go to the hair salon.  I have the same hairdresser over 10 years.  I voted for just me.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2020, 06:50:37 AM »
I’ve been a shaved headed lady off and on since 2014.  At the beginning of the pandemic I was lucky to be able to buy a Wahl trimmer on Amz to do it myself.  In normal times I alternate with a short pixie from the local barbershop costing about $20 cash each time.  The Wahl trimmer I bought cost $23.  I don’t have faith in it lasting for years but it’ll do for now. 

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2020, 07:02:58 AM »
Every 3-4 weeks, around $23/cut (I usually leave a $5 tip).

I’ve gone through many phases in the last decade where my wife buzzed it. Usually the busier that I get with work, the first thing to go is haircuts.

It has nothing to do with the cost, but more so the driving there, the wait (or setting up an appt), and all that. I look great with a fresh haircut so have no issue spending the money, but do not enjoy the time spent. My schedule is variable where I might be within a 60 mile radius of my home, so it’s hard to plan ahead, plus, there’s only a couple people I like cutting my hair.

Since the pandemic started, my wife watched a youtube video on cutting men’s hair. I just get a standard men’s, high/tight haircut. About 1 finger length on top and she uses like a 1 or 2 on the sides and then blends up.

She has cut my hair 3x now, and every time has gotten better. Other than special events (like a wedding) I foresee her always cutting my hair in the future. Cheaper, less time spent, and I can get it done a bit more often!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2020, 11:26:51 AM »

I’ve gone through many phases in the last decade where my wife buzzed it. Usually the busier that I get with work, the first thing to go is haircuts.

It has nothing to do with the cost, but more so the driving there, the wait (or setting up an appt), and all that. I look great with a fresh haircut so have no issue spending the money, but do not enjoy the time spent. My schedule is variable where I might be within a 60 mile radius of my home, so it’s hard to plan ahead, plus, there’s only a couple people I like cutting my hair.

Since the pandemic started, my wife watched a youtube video on cutting men’s hair. I just get a standard men’s, high/tight haircut. About 1 finger length on top and she uses like a 1 or 2 on the sides and then blends up.

She has cut my hair 3x now, and every time has gotten better. Other than special events (like a wedding) I foresee her always cutting my hair in the future. Cheaper, less time spent, and I can get it done a bit more often!
Care to share the video?

9patch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Earth Jubilee
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2020, 11:31:34 AM »
I just watched that YouTube video for additional tips, that's pretty much what I do, ponytail on the top of the head and cut. I give myself haircuts, I think it's super fun and satisfying. Some evening, I'll decide that I need bangs, or long layers, and voila, it's done. My MIL would take our son to get haircuts at the barber (ooh fancy) but since quarantine I've cut his once. I give buzz cuts to my husband.

CodingHare

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2020, 11:55:02 AM »
Let's see--back when I had long hair, I spent about $20 a year on haircuts, including tips.   In the last two years I decided to get a pixie cut because I had always liked the look of them.

I actually think I look great with a pixie, only took me a few minutes to style in the morning.  But the haircut costs!  It cost $40 for the initial cut because I went to a place recommended for knowing how to cut pixies to look good.  Probably overkill in retrospect, but I was trying to look super professional at the time and willing to toss money at it.  Then came the maintenance cuts..once every month and a half.  Going from $20 a year to $160-$200 depended on where I went.  Oh, and plus products.

Honestly, it's not that much money.  The main annoyance is scheduling hair appointments, taking time to go get my hair cut what felt like all the time.  If it made me happy long term I would have kept the pixie.  But I found myself wishing to do braids again, and have been using COVID to wait out my hair growth through the awkward scraggly bob stages.  My new goal is to let my hair get long enough that it is super easy to DIY cut.  Shoulder blades or bust!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2020, 08:14:36 PM »

Care to share the video?

Sure!

https://youtu.be/mBtay3_Ux7c

The good thing is, the first time was a slight struggle, but with some good inspections by both of us as we were going, it ended up great. Each time got easier and easier.. It’s also nice being at home with a spouse doing it so you really don’t mind spending a bit more time in the mirror examining it. I can’t count how many times I gave it a “quick once over” at a professional place, then got home and found big chunks of hair that they missed..

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2020, 09:06:26 PM »
I used to go to the fancy salon in my neighborhood, which charged $60 for a women's haircut and style. Now I go to the Paul Mitchell school and get one of the "advanced" students, cut and style is $10, and I give a $5 tip.

Acastus

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2020, 02:28:57 PM »
This poll really needs to be separated into men and women. While it is not a universal truth, men's haircuts tend to be pretty basic, and they do not color or perm their hair routinely. Women have been marketed at incessantly, so as a group they are likely to add more complexity to the purchase. Plus the hair industry has decided to charge women more, regardless of the cut.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2020, 04:54:57 PM »
My number reflects a cishet relationship! One male, one female.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2020, 05:51:55 PM »
My number is for me, but I cut my partner's hair so his is free. We bought a set of clippers and I do it every couple months.
At fifty bucks a cut, I'm paying a bit more than the cheapest possible, but I'm very happy with the results and since I can go 4 months or so between cuts it's not a big deal. I've had a lot of shitty haircuts in my life so I'm willing to pay more for someone talented who understands my hair and earns a decent wage for her work.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2020, 07:54:09 PM »
Been rockin a buzzed 1-2mm dome for nearly a decade. Estimated savings with compounding is ~$3,000

Eventuality

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2020, 09:30:01 PM »
I have shoulder blade length hair that I cut myself. It's wavy so it hides a multitude of flaws. I will also play around with dying it myself (no bleach, though). I think the last time I had my hair cut professionally was fall of 2018. I grew it out from a pixie back in 2016 (which was maybe the third iteration of the pixie). Crazy how much less expensive longer hair is! 

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2020, 09:35:13 PM »
TheHusbandHalf and I go to 'barbers' about every 6 wks or so. He gives them $45, but that include a tip

mountainfamily

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2020, 09:54:24 PM »
I have been cutting my husband's hair ever since we met, using a pair of high-quality scissors. During grad school, he did mine a few times but was so careless I fired him. I was getting a few professional cuts per year but quarantine cured me of that! My mom cut it all to an even length and I did my own layers. It was easy and looks great. I have wavy hair so it's quite forgiving.

Color: I got way more gray hair postpartum so I decided to try getting it colored professionally. I loved how it looked but I live in a high COL area and it would have really added up. The stylist mentioned eSalon as a way to touch up between appointments. I get a $25 kit of demi-permanent dye (gentler, no hard line, blends well, covers lots of the gray but leaves it looking natural) that lasts for three uses, and I use it every 6 weeks. I haven't seen the need to get any more professional coloring, since my hair naturally has a few different tones of color. So, that's less than $100 per year!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2020, 03:01:17 AM »
Being completely honest I cant remember the last time I went for a haircut. Surely not since retired (last 5 years) perhaps once in last ten. My hair is simple to cut as are the boys and my DW colors and trims her own as well.

LibrarianFuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2020, 09:42:35 AM »
Whatever SuperCuts is charging these days, I think it's $17.99. Plus $3 for a tip. Haircut maybe every 2-3 months.

Also $9-11 for a box of hair dye, depending whether I buy it at Walmart or Target. Hair gets dyed every month, or the grey roots start to get real obvious.

I've never understand women and the hair salon thing. I had a friend who used to spend over $200 a month at the hair salon. Back then, $200 a month was a car payment. I was just aghast at throwing that kind of money away.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2020, 12:21:24 PM »

I've never understand women and the hair salon thing. I had a friend who used to spend over $200 a month at the hair salon. Back then, $200 a month was a car payment. I was just aghast at throwing that kind of money away.

My sister does that whole thing.  Short cut, hair a much lighter colour than natural and streaked, so bleach, heavy duty hair conditioner, the works.  When I went to her favourite stylist for a cut she was all about me getting the conditioner and all that, and the stylist said I didn't need it - my hair is not damaged by all the treatments!  My sister's hair is so damaged and brittle.  Looks good though.  She was in the kind of job where she needs the super professional look, and that included hair.  She is still doing it in retirement, but she has FAT FIRE.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2020, 01:12:29 PM »
$18 including tip about every five weeks. Pre-lockdown of course.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2020, 12:15:08 PM »
I have short hair and was getting a $25 haircut about every 8 weeks.  When it was long (halfway to my waist) I did it myself.  I've always done my own bangs because they need trimming every few weeks.

With Covid I am at that shaggy messy stage, my last haircut was March 17.  I hate having hair on my neck in the summer heat and humidity.  How long can clippers cut? I don't want "guy short" hair.
One reason I keep my hair long is that it is so easy to just stick in a pony tail, braid or bun when it gets hot out. No having to bother cutting every few weeks to get it off my neck. I always wonder why more people don't just do that? I had short hair a few times and it was a major PITA to deal with.

Agreed. I’ve often heard women who cut their hair short say they did it because it would be so much easier to deal with. I always found the exact opposite — my short hair had to be washed and styled every day.

Now with the pandemic, my friends with shorter hair are super-frustrated about needing a haircut. I’m just letting mine get longer with curiosity at how long it will get before I’m finally able to go back to my stylist.

My long hair took a lot longer time in the shower not to mention the time to dry it during winter. I was really surprised that I was put of the shower with a washed hair in 2 minutes the first time after I cut everything short. I had to wash it every other day in the beginning instead of every third like with my long hair.

What is annoying with short hair is that it grows pretty fast and it starts to annoy me in less than 4 weeks. But I have learned to cut it really short myself so the cost has totally disappeared. When I had long curly hair I would probably not have been able to do it myself so depending on your preferensers either option can be the best.

I am wondering about the tip: why don’t they just add it to the price if everybody has to give it?

vand

• Handlebar Stache

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2020, 09:13:32 AM »
About $30 once a year (or two) for a haircut.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2020, 09:38:27 AM »
A couple of weeks ago I cut my husband's hair for the first time.  It had been 3-4 months.  He has glorious, thick wavy hair.  He likes the #4 on the clippers.

It took soooo long because his hair was soooo long.  It was at least 6 inches long.  It took a full hour to trim the back and clean up the top, and I do need to fix it, I missed a little spot. 

An hour.  Well, next time I'll cut it after a month, not 4.

Here comes the mop top price-gouging:

https://moneyweek.com/economy/uk-economy/601629/inflation-and-an-economics-lesson-from-my-barber

Supply and demand.  It's not price gouging, if you don't like it, cut your own hair.  I mentioned it took an hour what a professional could do in 20 minutes, and loads better to boot.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2020, 03:11:01 PM »
My haircuts cost $50 - that includes tip. However, since I don't color it, wear makeup, perfumes, do my nails, get massages, or use all sorts of fancy products, that's the vast majority of my personal care budget. I'm ok with it.

And it does probably include the female tax. I like my hair cuttest person, and she's really good. I don't look like a mop!

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2020, 05:53:25 AM »
I used to spend £10 a year on haircuts (I have long hair and would get it cut back from my waist to my shoulders once a year). But the COVID situation has pushed me to try cutting it myself, and I'm very satisfied with the results and plan to continue cutting it myself even after COVID. All I need for the method I am using is something to tie my hair with, a reflective surface, and some scissors.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2020, 06:30:15 AM »
I am going to spend $50 on my haircut today and it will be the best money I've spent in a month. I also have to pay an extra $3 for covid costs and I'm going to give a good tip. My hairdresser is awesome and worth every penny.

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2020, 11:23:36 AM »
I get a haircut about once a year when it gets to donation length, usually as a treat for myself on my birthday. It costs $75 at my fav salon with tip for just the cut, no extra styling or dye or anything. Female tax is pretty real. I don't mind the expense though, since I like the hairdresser and the salon is in one of my favorite neighborhoods. I usually make a whole day of it and enjoy the afternoon walking around with a new hairdo. My husband's haircut cost is $0, I've been cutting his hair for years.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2020, 05:37:05 PM »
I get a haircut about once a year when it gets to donation length, usually as a treat for myself on my birthday. It costs $75 at my fav salon with tip for just the cut, no extra styling or dye or anything. Female tax is pretty real. I don't mind the expense though, since I like the hairdresser and the salon is in one of my favorite neighborhoods. I usually make a whole day of it and enjoy the afternoon walking around with a new hairdo. My husband's haircut cost is $0, I've been cutting his hair for years.

Not knocking you at all; you obviously are wise about doing it (I mean you only do it once a year, lol) and have evaluated the benefit for you, but why on earth would a hair cut with no extra styling or dye cost $75? I guess I'm just used to man priced hair cuts, but it just seems extreme.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2020, 05:38:55 PM »

Not knocking you at all; you obviously are wise about doing it (I mean you only do it once a year, lol) and have evaluated the benefit for you, but why on earth would a hair cut with no extra styling or dye cost $75? I guess I'm just used to man priced hair cuts, but it just seems extreme.

Yeah, it’s a woman thing. It’s the pink tax.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2020, 07:14:49 PM »
What does your hair look like?  Women are expected to have hair that is styled, men can just cut their hair short.

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2020, 06:38:15 AM »

What does your hair look like?  Women are expected to have hair that is styled, men can just cut their hair short.

My hair is long and a little curly. I don't get it styled, just washed and cut. They typically do some layering so that the cut sits nice with my curly hair. I don't use any products other than shampoo in it or style it on my own, I just roll with my natural look. There's a price uptick for longer hair, another price uptick just for being female and I tip well, so that's why the total is $75. I also live in an urban HCOL area, so that has some impact on the price. The cost is kind of ridiculous but I make a day out of it being a rare treat for myself.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 06:45:35 AM by E.T. »

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2020, 07:20:19 AM »
$15 every 8 weeks or so, once it starts getting long enough to annoy me (especially on the sides). Might try another barber as I moved in May and the place I used to go to is a little drive away, but there's barbers walking distance from my new place.

Used to go to a place near work, but since they increased their price to $35, I'll go there if I want it done during the week rather than on the weekend, or if I have a special occasion.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2020, 08:16:07 AM »
Zero. I asked for a pair of clippers for Christmas, and got them. Since Christmas, I just clip my hair every 3-4 weeks. s

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2020, 02:15:25 PM »

My hair is long and a little curly. I don't get it styled, just washed and cut. They typically do some layering so that the cut sits nice with my curly hair. I don't use any products other than shampoo in it or style it on my own, I just roll with my natural look. There's a price uptick for longer hair, another price uptick just for being female and I tip well, so that's why the total is $75. I also live in an urban HCOL area, so that has some impact on the price. The cost is kind of ridiculous but I make a day out of it being a rare treat for myself.
That price uptick is something I never understood. Unless you are getting a very elaborate style then it seems long hair should be the same as short just for a straight cut and basic layering. I'm in the VERY long hair club and cut it myself every couple of years and donate it but have been told I'd have to pay much more if it was cut at a salon even if just a straight trim with no styling. Why??

This is kind of along the lines of my curiosity. Why are these things more expensive? How do people get away with it? I mean, I definitely understand and acknowledge that women pay more for all kinds of things for whatever reason it is. What I don't see is why it happens and/or how it continues to happen. I guess it's just accepted? I mean, I would have thought that someone somewhere would start a salon where they didn't charge as much for women's hair cuts - more just in line with how much time they actually take, and they would get swamped with people to the point that they would be fine and not have to worry about not getting as much money per person. I dunno, I'm sure my view point is hopelessly naïve.

Babybalrog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2020, 04:22:10 PM »
I revolted after being charged $10 to get a beard tripped about ten years ago and went across the shopping mall to a Wal Mart and bought a set of clippers for $19.99 and have done it ever since.

Then in Oct 2015, got ticked at yet another price increase and decided I would just cut my own. First attempt was a learning lesson, getting my hands to move correct in the mirror, but every time since then has been easy. I get lots of compliments. This is part of what pushed me to discover FIRE in Jan 2016. And I've never looked back.

I use to cut it monthly before my council meetings, but with Covid, I just stopped all together.

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2020, 04:31:56 PM »
My husband has crazy hair and the ONE time he got a good haircut at a salon, he went back and it was so bad that he was in tears. Now I cut his hair and my own. Required $50 or so in good scissors/razor to start, but I've been cutting his hair (and my own) for years now. I am lucky that I have easy straight hair to manage and I normally keep it back in a ponytail anyway.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2020, 05:02:31 PM »
85 every 3 months for cut and color.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2020, 05:10:52 PM »

That price uptick is something I never understood. Unless you are getting a very elaborate style then it seems long hair should be the same as short just for a straight cut and basic layering. I'm in the VERY long hair club and cut it myself every couple of years and donate it but have been told I'd have to pay much more if it was cut at a salon even if just a straight trim with no styling. Why??
Because they can?  I assume a few things:
1.  It requires more time/ product for more hair (if you get it washed first).
2.  It requires more skill.  I have a friend with this thick, glorious wavy brown hair.  She's very picky about her style and it requires skill to cut it in such a way that it's not one big "poof".
3.  More time?  I mean it took me an hour to cut my hubby's hair from 6+ inches to normal.  On a regular cut, 15 minutes I think.  Takes longer to cut my hair because: no clippers.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2020, 05:25:58 PM »
The haircut my partner gets from me is a lot more simple and basic compared to what I get at the salon. I can see why there would be a price difference, although I would prefer haircuts be based on complexity or length rather than gender.
What my hairdresser does requires education, practice and skill, and I'm paying her because she's able to do a much better job than I or my untrained partner could do.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2020, 05:28:13 PM »
I probably spend $20/quarter for the neighborhood barber to do it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2020, 09:16:00 AM »

Lol, try $130 with tax and tip for my hair, which when it was short, needed to be cut every 4 weeks.

That would be why I stopped wearing my hair short.

DH goes to the same salon, has the same texture hair, and the same length, and it costs him less than half. It drives me insane, and technically, I believe it's against the law.

A lot of high end salons here are starting to charge based on hair length, which I think is a smart compromise that allows them to legally justify their pink tax. This especially makes sense since it's time in the chair that matters, and drying and styling is the big time suck for women's hair if it's long.

However, there's an additional point to note. Here, a barber doesn't need any kind of license, whereas a stylist does fairly intensive education and must be licensed, so that produces a significant difference in cost as well.

An RMT I know used to be a hairstylist and said the two programs were similar in intensity and difficulty, and she charges about the same per hour as she did as a stylist.

That said, I just shaved all of my hair off because I truly despise having to get haircuts, so my cost is now $0

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2020, 09:21:54 AM »

I don't really know either. I think as @mm1970 said it "usually" requires more time and skill on average so it will cost more. That I can see. But when it's just a straight cut that takes a few minutes it's strange to me to charge so much more. Cutting my hair (long straight and with bangs) takes less time to do then the average of anyone's hair - male or female. Even if it took as long as someone with short hair what's the difference? Don't get it.

In any case I think places like Super Cuts don't charge more for a basic cut but I may be wrong.

Yeah, to me, a time-based/complexity based thing makes sense.

Lol, try $130 with tax and tip for my hair, which when it was short, needed to be cut every 4 weeks.

That would be why I stopped wearing my hair short.

DH goes to the same salon, has the same texture hair, and the same length, and it costs him less than half. It drives me insane, and technically, I believe it's against the law.

A lot of high end salons here are starting to charge based on hair length, which I think is a smart compromise that allows them to legally justify their pink tax. This especially makes sense since it's time in the chair that matters, and drying and styling is the big time suck for women's hair if it's long.

However, there's an additional point to note. Here, a barber doesn't need any kind of license, whereas a stylist does fairly intensive education and must be licensed, so that produces a significant difference in cost as well.

An RMT I know used to be a hairstylist and said the two programs were similar in intensity and difficulty, and she charges about the same per hour as she did as a stylist.

That said, I just shaved all of my hair off because I truly despise having to get haircuts, so my cost is now $0

Oh my word that's ridiculous. Also, good point on training, it's easy to forget training and licensing requirements.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2020, 09:37:46 AM »
Side effect of covid is I haven't gone to a haircutters since.  I always hated going anyway.  It takes me a while but I can do it myself now (even got a compliment on it last time).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2020, 11:47:25 AM »
In any case I think places like Super Cuts don't charge more for a basic cut but I may be wrong.

This is true.  We go to such places (Fantastic Sams).  It's $20-22, men or women.  Well, now I'm just going to cut my husband's hair every few weeks.  Little one is next though.  Big kid is probably going to start stealing my pony tail holders.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2020, 12:32:12 PM »
Costco not only finally had clippers again, they were on sale for $24.99!

Hopefully, our haircuts will look a bit cleaner now. I couldn't even get the replacement blades when I was looking a couple months ago, but they are almost the same prices as the kit.

FIREin2018

• Bristles
  • I did decide to Fire in 2018 @Age47! :)
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2020, 03:49:27 PM »
bought a walhs clipper set from costco $30.
bought a 2" clipper guard (#16) from ebay for $15. (it looks like it was made with 3D printer.)

hair cut at my local hair shop $15 so i break even on 3 self hair cuts.

it's EASY.
shave whole head with 2" clipper guard. you can still part your hair no problem.
use the tapered side guard (included in the set) on the sides and lower back of head.
(for back of head, use a hand held mirror in addition to your bathroom mirror.)