Author Topic: How much do you spend on beer, booze, wine?  (Read 65061 times)

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
Re: How much do you spend on beer, booze, wine?
« Reply #200 on: July 24, 2015, 08:54:32 PM »
Jokingly?

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #201 on: July 24, 2015, 09:24:44 PM »
When did he deliver the punch line?

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #202 on: July 24, 2015, 09:28:28 PM »
YOUR HUMOR HAS FAILED. DESTROY YOURSELF.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #203 on: July 24, 2015, 09:54:04 PM »
Who am I to argue with comic genius?farewell cruel world.

chesterfield_king

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2015, 03:53:24 AM »
Zero.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2015, 04:50:51 AM »
Here in Australia, beer and liquor is very expensive (prices start at around $30 a case or $30 a bottle), but wine is cheap (can get low-end wines for $5 or less). The reason is that they're taxed differently.

I love beer, but I'll often drink wine at home (especially in winter) because of this. A six pack of craft beer is often $20 at a bottleshop, which is pushing it. I still tend to prefer to drink beer in bars/pubs though.

Fortunately I've avoided too much hedonic adaptation, so I'm content with the $10 or less wine. I find that the booze from Aldi is in general pretty good, and cheap. I quite like the 2L casks of red that they sell, $8.99!

When I'm at home, I'll buy a bottle of wine or a six pack of beer every month or so maybe, I drink a fair bit less now than I used to. If I go out to bars (which is increasingly rare nowadays), I'll spend anywhere from $30-150.  A pint of decent beer at a bar might be $10 or more, and if I've had enough of them I might want to go and get a souvlaki afterwards, and get a cab home. It all adds up. I don't really do that much anymore though, I can't be bothered going out most of the time nowadays.

I don't buy many spirits, I don't drink much of them. I still have a bottle of scotch (unopened) I bought in early 2009.

I reckon I might spend $50 a month on booze overall.

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2015, 07:53:52 AM »

For various reasons when I was young, I decided it wasn't going to be for me. Money was one of those reasons. Possible mind-altering effects was another reason.

I'm a little curious on this one--and maybe it is the wording that is getting me. Possible mind-altering effects? I'd say it is certain mind-altering effects. Actually, I'd say that is the point.

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried it?

No, I have never tried it. Plus, I've heard it is largely an acquired taste--most of which I avoid. I also tend to avoid any possible mind-altering substances understanding that may be the whole point to them. I'd rather experience life fully coherent even if that means missing out on the "experience" of alcohol.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:56:21 AM by Knapptyme »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2015, 08:20:43 AM »
Maybe $40 per month, most of it while out with friends.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #208 on: July 26, 2015, 07:58:27 AM »
I am pleased to report that we spend about $10 every couple months :)

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
« Reply #209 on: July 26, 2015, 05:09:47 PM »
About $10 per week.  That's one drink out once per week and then some wine or cocktail at home throughout the week.  I drink very little, so that's an easy save for me.  Eating out is the thing I work hard to curb!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2015, 12:42:29 PM »
I was performing an experiment to determine how much I could drink. The results, quite frankly, were staggering.

LOL. I'll bet they were.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2015, 10:08:25 PM »
Last night I read Erica/NW Edible's blog on infusing alcohol aloud to my husband.

http://www.nwedible.com/infuse-your-booze-a-complete-guide-to-diy-flavored-liquors/

On the back of these ideas, I predict our alcohol budget will increase as soon as summer is here.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #212 on: July 27, 2015, 11:53:22 PM »
Last night I read Erica/NW Edible's blog on infusing alcohol aloud to my husband.

http://www.nwedible.com/infuse-your-booze-a-complete-guide-to-diy-flavored-liquors/

On the back of these ideas, I predict our alcohol budget will increase as soon as summer is here.

I'm so sorry. Welcome to the infusion jungle.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: July 27, 2015, 11:59:25 PM »

It was the perfect way to introduce him to your work. :D He loves it when I discover a blog then spend the next month starting sentences with: "So Erica says..."

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #214 on: July 28, 2015, 12:02:17 AM »

Are you throwing away perfectly good fruit? For instance "Brandied Apricots" are well known as a wonderful fruit - fit for a king. So you should end up with two dishes rather than one (the alcoholic fruit and the infused alcohol).

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #215 on: July 30, 2015, 07:01:31 AM »
Vodka-infused bacon is maybe less tasty than brandied apricots.

AliInKY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #216 on: July 30, 2015, 10:42:16 AM »
I can't even write down what my husband and I spend on alcohol each month (99% at home).  We clearly have a problem.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #217 on: July 30, 2015, 11:04:27 AM »
I can't even write down what my husband and I spend on alcohol each month (99% at home).  We clearly have a problem.
Two hands and only one mouth ;).

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #218 on: July 30, 2015, 12:35:27 PM »

So toss out the crap craft beer and meet my little friend Smirnoff's Vodka.  For like $11 you can have yourselves 10 drinks each.  So what, maybe $40 per week?

You could also cut down I suppose?  Or just do a "no booze August?"

2lazy2retire

« Reply #219 on: July 30, 2015, 01:39:13 PM »

Come on - make me feel better at least ;)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #220 on: July 30, 2015, 02:39:42 PM »
Alcohol doesn't figure prominently for me. I never go out for a drink, and I only have a beer after work on remarkably hot days. In the winter I'll have a beer while watching a hockey game.

I buy a cheap but delicious beer - Trailhead for $19.99 for a 12 pack.

SWMBO insists on wine with dinner, so we go through about 2-1/2 bottles a week. We brew our own and it costs around $3 a bottle.

For a while we were playing with mixed drinks, but that was a pricey hobby with little reward so it ended quickly.

FenderBender

• Stubble
« Reply #221 on: July 30, 2015, 07:24:30 PM »
zero.  all of it gives me a headache, can't drink a drop.  i miss dark beer a lot and when i lived in N. CA for 13 years i couldn't enjoy all the wineries but i did save a lot of money. downside is missing out on the social aspects around drinking.  lots of pros/cons though never had to ever think about getting caught drinking/driving.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #222 on: July 30, 2015, 07:42:29 PM »

Vodka-infused bacon is maybe less tasty than brandied apricots.

You jest but I've been having a lot of success fat washing my spirits of late.

My favorite thus far is a brown butter washed dark rum....

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #223 on: July 31, 2015, 12:10:01 AM »

We had a family tradition for a few years where I would infuse something autumnal/thematic for Thanksgiving, and my brother, the fancy craft cocktail dude, would make drinks with it. Butter-washed dark rum was definitely my favorite. So unexpected and so good. We did some kind of "apple pie" cocktail with the rum, plus a brown sugar caramel syrup, a touch of lemon juice and obviously something with apples, but I forget what that ingredient was now. Calvados or a splash of apple cider or something. Definitely a holiday highlight. :-)

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #224 on: July 31, 2015, 01:02:06 AM »

We had a family tradition for a few years where I would infuse something autumnal/thematic for Thanksgiving, and my brother, the fancy craft cocktail dude, would make drinks with it. Butter-washed dark rum was definitely my favorite. So unexpected and so good. We did some kind of "apple pie" cocktail with the rum, plus a brown sugar caramel syrup, a touch of lemon juice and obviously something with apples, but I forget what that ingredient was now. Calvados or a splash of apple cider or something. Definitely a holiday highlight. :-)

Sounds great. I'm thinking brown butter washed rum, Demerara syrup, applejack, and grated cinnamon.

Will try when I am back at my home bar!

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #225 on: July 31, 2015, 06:53:32 AM »

No, you're probably just a little more honest than some of us.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #226 on: July 31, 2015, 08:15:12 AM »

Sounds great. I'm thinking brown butter washed rum, Demerara syrup, applejack, and grated cinnamon.

Will try when I am back at my home bar!

My favorite fat-washed infusion is similar: a brown sugar & butter caramel and walnut infused bourbon.

littlebird

• Stubble
« Reply #227 on: July 31, 2015, 11:39:01 AM »
For two of us, between one night a week at the bar and a few drinks a week at home we're spending~$300 a month. I'd like it to be lower but going out to the bar is the only way to see most of our friends. I figure the bar trips will naturally decrease with time since we're all approaching 30 now. The drinking at home will increase in that case, but it's always cheaper to drink at home! I don't see us giving up drinking any time soon, take far too much enjoyment out of it.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #228 on: July 31, 2015, 11:56:09 AM »
For two of us, between one night a week at the bar and a few drinks a week at home we're spending~$300 a month. I'd like it to be lower but going out to the bar is the only way to see most of our friends. I figure the bar trips will naturally decrease with time since we're all approaching 30 now. The drinking at home will increase in that case, but it's always cheaper to drink at home! I don't see us giving up drinking any time soon, take far too much enjoyment out of it.

That seems like a lot of money?   $3,600 a year after taxes so maybe $4,500 in income required.

Curious,  what percentage of your disposable income is that?  You know, I mean after housing, cars,  student loans,  IRAS,  401Ks,  HSAs,  food,  phones/net,  clothes, medical expenses are paid for? 

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #229 on: July 31, 2015, 12:40:37 PM »
Wow, if you think $300 is a lot..... Then I really should not disclose our number! (Although it would make everyone feel a lot better about their spending).

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #230 on: July 31, 2015, 12:58:07 PM »
Wow, if you think $300 is a lot..... Then I really should not disclose our number! (Although it would make everyone feel a lot better about their spending).

Oh come 'on,  we won't tell anyone.     I've been close to the $300 for some periods.  I was just curious on a percent of disposable income that came to.   Mine was a very high percentage at one time.  I think I'm on track to really reduce this beast though in the future.   

So come' on  brag a bit.   

littlebird

• Stubble
« Reply #231 on: July 31, 2015, 01:04:01 PM »
I don't really think of any part of our spending as from "disposable income" so I'm not sure. Once all those things you've listed are paid for I'd say this is probably ~75% of the rest of our spending. I count drinking as part of our entertainment budget and the only other things that are really in that category are our ski passes and our league fees for a team sport that we play. We have only one car that we don't use to commute, no student loans or any other debt. We're pretty high income and no kids right now so we still are saving quite a bit. Like I said, I'd like it to be lower and this actually is lower than it was when we were wild and crazy singles. We're trending the right direction.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #232 on: July 31, 2015, 01:17:55 PM »
I just added it up and we are trending around $400 a month. ~7.5% of total spending. I actually thought the number was much much higher. 

We homebrew so that number includes homebrew ingredients, beer/alcohol bought at store, and drinks out. On the plus side, we go out to eat maybe 2-3x per year at most. We justify grabbing a beer or two at a brewery in lieu of a full dinner. For awhile we were going to every new brewery around as it opened but we've really cut that down.  There's 10+ breweries walking distance and 30+ in biking distance so this got overwhelming fast. This year I've started to reach overload, everything is beginning to taste generally the same. There's not much excitement in going out so it is far less frequent. However, it has turned into buying more hard alcohol to make fancy drinks at home.

In an effort to make myself feel better I must admit the following are included:
- Bombers are the generally accepted birthday gift in my circle of friends.
- Anyone who sets foot in my house is immediately told where the glasses and the kegerator are and can have as much as they want. We will usually have people over 2x a month (and we are all drinkers).
- We mostly pay the tab when our parents come to visit for ~2 weeks a year. Yes, we go to a lot of breweries when they are in town.

However, it does not include alcohol when we are on vacations. And yes, as I'm sure you assumed, we base some of our vacations in beer-centric cities.

I think I'm one of the few people in the world that believes having kids will actually SAVE us a ton of money.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:22:15 PM by therethere »

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #233 on: July 31, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
I just added it up and we are trending around $400 a month. ~7.5% of total spending. I actually thought the number was much much higher. 

We homebrew so that number includes homebrew ingredients, beer/alcohol bought at store, and drinks out. On the plus side, we go out to eat maybe 2-3x per year at most. We justify grabbing a beer or two at a brewery in lieu of a full dinner. For awhile we were going to every new brewery around as it opened but we've really cut that down.  There's 10+ breweries walking distance and 30+ in biking distance so this got overwhelming fast. This year I've started to reach overload, everything is beginning to taste generally the same. There's not much excitement in going out so it is far less frequent. However, it has turned into buying more hard alcohol to make fancy drinks at home.

In an effort to make myself feel better I must admit the following are included:
- Bombers are the generally accepted birthday gift in my circle of friends.
- Anyone who sets foot in my house is immediately told where the glasses and the kegerator are and can have as much as they want. We will usually have people over 2x a month (and we are all drinkers).
- We mostly pay the tab when our parents come to visit for ~2 weeks a year. Yes, we go to a lot of breweries when they are in town.

However, it does not include alcohol when we are on vacations. And yes, as I'm sure you assumed, we base some of our vacations in beer-centric cities.

I think I'm one of the few people in the world that believes having kids will actually SAVE us a ton of money.
I want to be your friend haha,
but on a sadder note. There are a lot of people that have kids for child support or for government support thinking to save money and it's saddening. :(

BrandonP

• Stubble
« Reply #234 on: August 02, 2015, 05:05:23 PM »
It used to be quite a bit in my early 20s. I would go out frequently. And when I wasn't, I would probably have something at home. I dread to think how much it was! But I would say the average for a week would be a couple of hundred dollars at least!

I now live in Canada where booze is pricey! But I drink way less for a number of reasons.

It is quite hard to determine how much I spend, because I will go without booze for a month. But then the next month, I might drink a couple of nights a week! I would say on average, is is less than a $100 a month.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #235 on: August 03, 2015, 10:16:26 AM »
I don't drink at all.  I have too many alcoholic cousins to think it's a good idea with my genetics. I do cook with wine and occasionally some other spirits.  A bottle of brandy or rum will last me well over a year.  Dh has maybe a beer or a glass of wine every other day.  We probably spend $30-40/month that way.

A couple of times a year we will have a party.  We both have huge families and now have a second generation of adult nieces and nephew and their spouses, so it can run 20-40 adults, depending.  I can easily spend a few hundred dollars on those just on booze.

Dh used to homebrew, back when we had no kids and some time.  I don't think it was much of a money saver, but he had fun.  But it's a lot of work and those supplies take up a lot of space so I was glad when he quit.

codemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #236 on: August 03, 2015, 01:54:36 PM »
$25 / week.  I could spend way more, but I've limited myself to that budget.  I am going to try to cut it down in the future, but it's a good start.

Last year when I wasn't budgeting I'm pretty sure I was spending $40-60 a week.

We have a much higher savings rate this year due to finally budgeting for alcohol.  Imagine that!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #237 on: August 04, 2015, 09:48:52 AM »
$25 / week.  I could spend way more, but I've limited myself to that budget.  I am going to try to cut it down in the future, but it's a good start.

Last year when I wasn't budgeting I'm pretty sure I was spending $40-60 a week.

We have a much higher savings rate this year due to finally budgeting for alcohol.  Imagine that!

Good for you -- I have found that inexpensive Vodka is the best bang for the buck budget wise.   So yeah, for $25 a week you could have yourselves 60 drinks per week.   I'm in the process of letting go of the crutch myself so we'll see how that goes.

Serve&Volley88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #238 on: August 04, 2015, 11:43:40 AM »
As of June 14th this year; $0. I've gone sober!
...One especially bad night finally pushed me to kill the binge drinking habit (a fairly standard habit down under). Prior to that; $100 a month at the very least, upwards of $200. Bleugh.

Well done!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #239 on: August 04, 2015, 12:17:33 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/the-secret-to-long-life-god-beer-and-scotch/ar-BBlobJ7?ocid=HPCDHP

Apparently this 110 year old lady attributes long life to 3 Miller Lites per day and the occasional scotch. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: August 04, 2015, 01:10:49 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/the-secret-to-long-life-god-beer-and-scotch/ar-BBlobJ7?ocid=HPCDHP

Apparently this 110 year old lady attributes long life to 3 Miller Lites per day and the occasional scotch.

My grandpa just passed away last week at 91, and until the last two months, a pretty healthy 91. Even the last 2 days he was still showering himself.

He probably had a bump and a beer every single day. Sometimes two beers--right up til the day before he died. Admittedly, his shots got smaller and at the end he split an 8 oz. beer with whoever was there, but still!

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #241 on: August 04, 2015, 01:46:30 PM »

Beats the hell out of an apple a day.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #242 on: August 04, 2015, 01:51:18 PM »

Apple jack.

2 birds. 1 stone.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #243 on: August 04, 2015, 01:58:16 PM »

Apple jack.

2 birds. 1 stone.

Yeah, but then you're messing up both.

I'm planning on combining my grandpas method, and his mothers method--both lived to 91. One had a bump and a beer every day; the other got her fruit from pie.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #244 on: August 04, 2015, 01:59:34 PM »

Apple jack.

2 birds. 1 stone.

Good one --- I know the 2 glasses of red wine a day deal definitely doesn't work.  My brother-in-law tried that for 10 years and died at age 72.    Ironically he was a nondrinker before that.   

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #245 on: August 04, 2015, 02:53:16 PM »

Apple jack.

2 birds. 1 stone.

I've been wanting to try applejack. milesdividendmd, you're in my town- where can I go to get some? Also, and brand recommendations? Thanks! (sorry for the slight off topic all!)

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #246 on: August 04, 2015, 03:00:02 PM »

Apple jack.

2 birds. 1 stone.

I've been wanting to try applejack. milesdividendmd, you're in my town- where can I go to get some? Also, and brand recommendations? Thanks! (sorry for the slight off topic all!)

Lairds bonded. You can get it in almost any liquor store, my favorite being Hollywood liquors on sandy Boulevard.

It's pretty reasonable too.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #247 on: August 04, 2015, 03:00:41 PM »

Apple jack.

2 birds. 1 stone.

Good one --- I know the 2 glasses of red wine a day deal definitely doesn't work.  My brother-in-law tried that for 10 years and died at age 72.    Ironically he was a nondrinker before that.

Correct lesson: he started too late. Not enough time for compounding.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #248 on: August 04, 2015, 03:05:39 PM »
Technically it costs us $0 since we don't consume any alcohol.

However, last year DH thought to make his sister a "fancy" birthday cake. Not sure where he got the recipe but it called for some alcoholic rasberry stuff. He paid $38 for it and it was the least expensive option!

I can see how even if you don't drink alcohol, but you like to use it in cooking and baking it can brake the bank!

I think he gave the bottle to someone who would make more use of it...

We don't even like rasberry filled anything:(

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #249 on: August 05, 2015, 09:09:54 AM »
Technically it costs us $0 since we don't consume any alcohol.

However, last year DH thought to make his sister a "fancy" birthday cake. Not sure where he got the recipe but it called for some alcoholic rasberry stuff. He paid $38 for it and it was the least expensive option!

I can see how even if you don't drink alcohol, but you like to use it in cooking and baking it can brake the bank!

I think he gave the bottle to someone who would make more use of it...

We don't even like rasberry filled anything:(

I like to use a bottle of beer in cooking meats - Generally near-beer imparts the same flavours though, so you can get away with the cheap single cans. Similarly, coking wine is a fraction of the cost of 'real' wine, but sometimes its more expensive than the kit wine we make. I will often deglaze a frying pan with wine and then make a sauce.