Author Topic: How much do you really need in retirement?  (Read 15659 times)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: How much do you really need in retirement?
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2017, 06:36:11 AM »
i'm sure this has already been mentioned above but you're looking at 750k for a single person or half the share of a couple.  thats not far off from many numbers we see around here b/c we talk about it from a stance of both of us.  My wife and i "need"* around 1.5MM which is double your number for 2 people who will have 2 children. 

* need is a bad word its more a want than a need.  we plan to spend right at the top of the 15% bracket including a mortgage.  my wife thinks we need 2MM and we'll probably end up working til then b/c of some golden handcuffs but its an extra year to get from 1.5ish to 2ish.  and i have to stop working on Jan 2. due to money things with my work setup soooo.  there is no work an extra few months or quit in the middle of a year its jan 2. or the next jan 2.

afulldeck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2017, 02:22:08 PM »
In our HCOL Canadian city we pay $1750CDN/yr property taxes on a $500K home. That's like $1375USD.

That's unusual, I want to move where you live. 

In Ottawa 500K home will get you 6-8K yearly taxes see http://ottawa.ca/cgi-bin/tax/tax.pl?year=14&property_type=110&tr=1&f=8&sw=6&hyd=Y&rss=Y&assessment=500000&submit=Submit+Query&lang=en

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2017, 02:34:04 PM »

Victoria, BC...actually Saanich, BC, but I can throw a frisbee into Victoria from my house.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2017, 02:36:40 PM »
In our HCOL Canadian city we pay $1750CDN/yr property taxes on a $500K home. That's like $1375USD.

In Ottawa 500K home will get you 6-8K yearly taxes see http://ottawa.ca/cgi-bin/tax/tax.pl?year=14&property_type=110&tr=1&f=8&sw=6&hyd=Y&rss=Y&assessment=500000&submit=Submit+Query&lang=en

Our home was last appraised in the mid-high 600s, and we pay a bit over 3 grand a year here in Toronto.  Lots of places with cheap property taxes in Canada.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2017, 03:29:54 PM »
Ottawa is bad for taxes, we pay almost 5k for a condo. Maybe it's the central folks subsidising the suburbs. They need more roads and more sewage but we have to pay for it or new subdivisions wouldn't get built.

afulldeck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2017, 05:46:28 PM »

Our home was last appraised in the mid-high 600s, and we pay a bit over 3 grand a year here in Toronto.  Lots of places with cheap property taxes in Canada.

Now I'm just angry Moustache!

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2017, 06:08:10 PM »
My budgeting crudely worked as follows:

Current spending:  $70k (including ammortized maintenance, car replacement, typical vacations, and other similar items)
Current mortgage spending: $22k (assumed to be paid off for planning purposes)
Net:  $48k
Healthcare under ACA for silver plan: $5k (major wild card right now)
Target: $53k post tax money
Calculated taxes: $2-4k depending on state we retire to
Final target: $55k

I expect to spend less in retirement by easily 10% lower, but consider that to be cushion not to be counted on yet.  I also will have full SSA benefits 22 years after retirement, and partial spousal benefits in 19 years which in total cover about 85% of our spending past 70.  We can be targeting about a 4.5% SWR due to this.

I also expect that we can attack a lot of spending habits in the short term to lower the target, or increase our margin.