Author Topic: How much do you pay for home internet?  (Read 32168 times)

L8_apex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How much do you pay for home internet?
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2017, 10:31:23 PM »
I'm staying at an airbnb apartment in the Philippines at the moment.  The owner pays $10 USD/mo for 9MB internet in this condo.

At home it's charter at $60/mo IIRC.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2017, 10:44:27 AM »
$70 for ATT Uverse DSL.  I'm switching next month to toast.net, an ATT reseller.  Better speed and cheaper!  $45/mo for 18mbps.

Made the switch a bit later than expected.  Toast.net has been great.  It is basically Uverse/dsl at a better speed and price.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2017, 12:35:36 PM »
i paid 300 dollars for installation and get 6MB up and down for 7 years . 

so monthly that works out to ~3.60 a month. 

Shade00

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2017, 01:06:16 PM »
$60/month - Comcast 300/25 with no data cap. Had to agree to a three-year contract because Comcast wanted to lock people in before Google Fiber rolled out. If Fiber comes to my house, I'll switch and pay the termination fee, though.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2017, 01:21:28 PM »
$60/month - Comcast 300/25 with no data cap. Had to agree to a three-year contract because Comcast wanted to lock people in before Google Fiber rolled out. If Fiber comes to my house, I'll switch and pay the termination fee, though.
When my fiber provider rolled into down, I was shocked that Comcast appeared to have no plan to combat it.  Who the hell is going to pay the same price for 50mbps from Comcast when you can get 1000mbps fiber?

Shade00

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2017, 02:23:40 PM »
When my fiber provider rolled into down, I was shocked that Comcast appeared to have no plan to combat it.  Who the hell is going to pay the same price for 50mbps from Comcast when you can get 1000mbps fiber?

Agreed - I was surprised they did anything. AT&T is also rolling out fiber here, which has really pushed competition. Out of curiosity I checked to see if AT&T is available now at my address - it is! Unfortunately we'll probably be moving in the next 6 months so I don't want to mess with the installation etc. right now.

teamzissou00

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2017, 02:27:08 PM »
$60 for 200 down and 20 up (I usually get more)

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2017, 02:29:05 PM »
$80 for 200mb service comcast suburb near seattle. I transfer large files for business so I like having the extra bandwidth and it was very noticable from the $55 month plan I had before, plus I can write it off on taxes.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 02:34:23 PM by effigy98 »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2017, 03:08:53 PM »
Currently $40/mo for 25Mbps from Comcast (it includes basic cable, but we don't use it).  We used to be on their 10Mbps plan for $20/mo (with no cable), but they wouldn't let us stay on it.  10Mbps was plenty for two people to stream shows at the same time.  Before that, we had 6Mbps for $20/mo, and it was just about right for two people to stream a show simultaneously.

I'm looking forward with great anticipation to the date when Metronet installs fiber to our house.  I will be gleefully calling Comcast to cancel.  There's one condition under which I will stay:  if they put us back on the 10Mbps/$20 plan.  If/when they say "that's only for new customers," I'll be ready with "well, you can treat me as a new customer now, or you can have me back as a new customer in a year."

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
Currently $30/month for 20 Mbps from [an innovative regional provider to high-rise buildings].  When our condo building enters into a bulk agreement with them soon, my price will drop to $27/month and the speed will increase to 100 Mbps.  Up to 1000 Mbps is currently available to us through them (at incrementally higher prices for the faster speeds), but 20 or 100 is certainly sufficient for my needs.  (All prices include all taxes/fees.)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:20:44 PM by LeRainDrop »

Morphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2017, 05:36:47 PM »
$30/mo Canadian for 40Mbps with unlimited bandwidth through Carrytel. They are a reseller of Cogeco and the service sometimes has a few slow periods but overall it works well.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2017, 07:50:57 AM »

Agreed - I was surprised they did anything. AT&T is also rolling out fiber here, which has really pushed competition. Out of curiosity I checked to see if AT&T is available now at my address - it is! Unfortunately we'll probably be moving in the next 6 months so I don't want to mess with the installation etc. right now.
It's amazing how the companies can vary so much in what they offer place to place.  In my neck of the woods, Comcast and AT&T were the only options, with AT&T being hot garbage (maxed out at 18mbps for $60/mo or something).  Now with the fiber company here providing real competition, hopefully Comcast will react eventually as they lose more customers. 

Competition is good.  The fact that competition exists only because the fiber company dodged local exclusivity agreements with AT&T/Comcast since they are neither "cable" nor "phone" is its own issue...

nancyjnelson

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2017, 11:00:47 AM »
1 1/2 years ago I was with Time Warner and the monthly fee rose to $90/month for mediocre service (service would drop a few times a week for up to an hour - since I have a Vonage line, this deprived me of phone as well as internet for the time it was down).  I switched to an introductory AT&T plan for $51/month (AT&T hadn't been available in my area previously).  When it increased to the "normal" rate of $72/month after a year, I called them up and asked if they could give me a better price.  They couldn't - until I asked them to switch me to the Customer Loyalty department, where I was given a monthly rate of $42/month (including tax).

It has been my experience that AT&T will go to great lengths to keep their customers (at least the polite ones).

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2017, 12:50:41 PM »
1 1/2 years ago I was with Time Warner and the monthly fee rose to $90/month for mediocre service (service would drop a few times a week for up to an hour - since I have a Vonage line, this deprived me of phone as well as internet for the time it was down).  I switched to an introductory AT&T plan for $51/month (AT&T hadn't been available in my area previously).  When it increased to the "normal" rate of $72/month after a year, I called them up and asked if they could give me a better price.  They couldn't - until I asked them to switch me to the Customer Loyalty department, where I was given a monthly rate of $42/month (including tax).

It has been my experience that AT&T will go to great lengths to keep their customers (at least the polite ones).
That worked for us for a while, but a few years ago, AT&T basically abandoned the DSL (over copper lines) market in our area.  Jacked the price up to $55/mo for 6Mbps, no new customer discounts or anything.

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2017, 09:20:01 AM »
We were with Cox for over a decade. Fairly reliable and I could always get a small discount on our "50 down/5 up" cable internet. So long as it stayed at or under $50 a month I was fine with them. In the last 1.5 years they have jacked the price up 3 times, when it hit $64.99 I tried multiple times to let them keep me as a customer, the best they would offer is $59.99. If they had just been willing to give me the same deal as a new customer I would have stayed.

I hated to do it, but I got Verizon FIOS, 50/50 for $39.99 the first year and $49.99 the second, no commitment. The "hated" part is dealing with their customer support, the service itself is fine. Bought a $30 router off E-Bay to satisfy their installation requirements.

cacaoheart

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2017, 07:50:10 PM »

When ATT Fiber became available at my address 2-3 years ago Time Warner actually raised my rates so that ATT's gigabit up/down service was cheaper than Time Warner's 50/5 service, and so far ATT has been more reliable.

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2017, 11:23:11 AM »
$64.99 a month for the cheapest plan available. 75 mbps (max) and a data cap of 50 GB/month, beyond the cap speed is slowed over 95%. Internet is expensive in Alaska.

AmyS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2017, 12:47:25 PM »
$40.57 per month from Spectrum-formerly-TWC. Internet only, no cable. Only option where I live. Since Spectrum took over, I get promotional mail at least once a week telling me I can get $29.99 per month for internet. But it only comes at that price if I ALSO get two other things from them at $29.99 each. Ha!

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2017, 06:05:07 PM »
Does anyone have mediacom? I'm thinking of switching as they have faster speeds than my current provider. They are currently running a promotion for 60mbps for $40/month for the first year, however after reading the fine print I see they require you to rent a modem for an additional $10/month. Has anyone been able to get that waived so you can bring your own?

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2017, 07:06:01 PM »
$AUD59.95 per month. iiNet ADSL2+, 250GB quota, and I usually speedtest at 13-14Mbps down /1Mbps up. Unfortunately the best I can do for fixed Internet where I am is about $50 per month, and I get a better service for the extra $10 with iiNet.

No cable available in my apartment at the moment, and NBN isn't arriving for another year or two.

I only use a fraction of that amount, and I've considered ditching it entirely and tethering my phone for Internet. Maybe when I move next I'll stick to mobile only for a while.

jscott2135

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2017, 07:55:17 PM »
I paid 29.99 for 3 yrs while living in a suburb of PDX Oregon, now living in Bend, OR I have to pay 49.99 and it makes me bitter, but its the best for this area.

Nate79

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2017, 11:35:47 PM »
Frontier FIOS $40/month with lots of sign up bonuses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

BAMxi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2017, 03:54:26 PM »
And to anyone who says they is only ONE ISP in your area, you are wrong. Just like the people who say they were only 4 cell phone providers. Yes you may be using the same hardware, but there are plenty of sub companies to get your internet through.

Care to elaborate? I am of the opinion that I'm stuck with CenturyLink at $45/month for 8mbps DSL. There is no cable run to my house, phone line only. Spectrum/Charter has a hub about a block down the road but they won't bring it to my house unless at least 3 people on my block sign up. None of my other neighbors care that we could get 60mbps for the same rate, so they'd rather not switch. I put my address into pretty much any vendor I could come up with and CL was the only one to say they would service my address.

EDIT: I see you replied on page 2, sorry i missed it. I actually signed up with 4Gcommunity.org to try their sprint hotspot. The price was very attractive but their .1 mbps speed in my area was not, so I sent it back for a refund. I was pretty bummed because their coverage map showed me solidly in their service area and I had 2-3 bars the whole time I was testing the hotspot. My cell phone is ATT and that data is about 4-5 mbps and adding more data or a hotspot would not be better than the dsl. but I agree with what you're saying in theory. Especially for those people in urban settings that can take advantage of 4gcommunity/sprint's LTE+ speeds. Then you're talking 30-150 mbps for around $30ish per month, if i recall. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 03:59:34 PM by BAMxi »

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2017, 05:50:25 PM »
Currently at $79.99/mo for 50MBPS (d/l) Cox service. Started a lot cheaper then gradually started ratcheting the price up. fortunately, yesterday an AT&T rep knocked on my door with a fiber optic 50MBPS (d/l) internet service for only $40 (for first year only). I took the deal. 2nd year it goes up to $60. Both quoted prices include tax and fees.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2017, 06:17:55 PM »
My roommate pays for all utilities and I am flat rate, but if I was paying for my own it'd be Verizon FIOS at $60/mo for gigabit up/down.

ChipmunkSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: October 18, 2017, 06:59:48 PM »
We're at 45 for 350g 15down/5up, but we used to be 32 for 100g 5down/1up (had to go up based on our usage).

stachestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: October 18, 2017, 07:02:42 PM »
$50/mo with ATT in Lansing, MI

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2017, 06:10:48 AM »
Had been $50 for Frontier DSL (6 down / 1 up) for many years. Tried going to higher speed (bonded lines) for same price but ended up lower speed so switched back to what we had. Last spring Spectrum (i.e., Time Warner) said we qualified for special "low-income" service for $15 to get 30/5. Hmmm... 5x the speed for 1/3 the price... I'll take it! Price is fixed "forever". Have no idea why we qualified and I even argued with the rep on the phone but computer said our address qualified. Figure it must be the whole neighborhood got the offer though I haven't seen a card show up at church, which could really use it.

BAMxi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2017, 03:40:28 PM »
Just wanted to reply in here again to update my previous comment about 4GCommunity.org. It appears my poor service in my area was a blessing in disguise, as they have just now ceased operation. We were lucky enough to return our hotspot within their 7 day window and got a full refund, however many people who paid for the year in advance are not so lucky. There are other hotspot-based internet plans out there which are either very pricey or have income-related guidelines that require verification to get the best rates.

frogstomp81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2017, 06:50:29 AM »
$14.99 for 8mbps from "WoW" in in southeast MI.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2017, 10:47:24 AM »
$100 because there's a monopoly in my town

Aggie1999

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2017, 11:54:42 AM »
Through Suddenlink ~$75 after taxes for 400 mbps down, 40 mbps up. Cheaper 100mpbs/10mbps plan is ~$55 per month but that has a cap of 250 GB per month. This is in a medium size college town (~200k people) in Texas. No real competition. On the Internet front I miss Houston where Comcast and ATT had to compete so I'd switch providers every year to get the new customer plans.

Side note: I just moved to this house and made the mistake of getting TV with the Internet. Suddenlink website advertised $125.99 + taxes/fees. Got first bill. $160 total! $35 in taxes/fees. Suddenlink is also known to tack on some new little fee every month so they can raise the rates. I'm thinking I'll cancel the TV part soon.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: November 06, 2017, 12:34:23 PM »
$85 for 200 mbps and no data cap with TWC/Spectrum.  I have my own modem and router

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2017, 01:39:17 PM »
$40 from TWC/Spectrum in NC. It is the low tier though, which is all I need.

CogentCap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2017, 03:01:44 PM »
$49/mo for 1000mbps via fiberoptic cable.  Lightspeed is the best!  The only catch is they have to have service in your area.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2017, 03:08:22 PM »
$32/mo including tax.  Spectrum.  By speed test, 25 Mps download, 5 Mbs up.

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2017, 02:57:44 PM »
$0. Don't have it.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: November 08, 2017, 05:21:05 AM »
Net extra $30/mo because my employer reimburses flat fee for internet that's greater than the actual cost. That's tax free too!

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2017, 05:47:01 AM »
We're paying € 30.00 per month for 16 Mbit DSL, actually getting 18.1 Mbit down, 1.1 Mbit up.  We also are receiving a € 15 discount per month during the first year.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2017, 07:42:36 AM »
Paying $89 for 100Mbps with Cox.  That also includes some sort of streaming tv service as well.  Considering I finally dropped cable TV and my bill dropped from $210 to $89, I'm pretty happy.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2017, 07:52:13 AM »
Nothing for 100 down/20 up. My company pays for it.

orangepalm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugalcrib
« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2017, 08:00:30 AM »
$30/mo for 25 down and 5 up from Comcast. They may have a crappy reputation, but they're pretty decent.

Fiber is also available in our neighborhood, but with Frontier FIOS running the show, no freaking way. Until they go bankrupt and/or some other (much much better) company buys them out, I'm not giving a dime to that absolutely horribly run company. Scammy sales people, long contracts, terrible customer service, constant outages, expensive, and slow speeds (50mb is the fastest option...)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2017, 08:11:07 AM »
$30/mo for 25 down and 5 up from Comcast. They may have a crappy reputation, but they're pretty decent.

Fiber is also available in our neighborhood, but with Frontier FIOS running the show, no freaking way. Until they go bankrupt and/or some other (much much better) company buys them out, I'm not giving a dime to that absolutely horribly run company. Scammy sales people, long contracts, terrible customer service, constant outages, expensive, and slow speeds (50mb is the fastest option...)
50mbps is the fastest speed available on fiber!?  Jeez.  Comcast will do all the way up to 300mbps over DOCSIS in my area and fiber is available (from a different company) at 1000mbps.  I think our slowest fiber option is 100mbps.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: November 08, 2017, 11:54:16 AM »

50mbps is the fastest speed available on fiber!?  Jeez.  Comcast will do all the way up to 300mbps over DOCSIS in my area and fiber is available (from a different company) at 1000mbps.  I think our slowest fiber option is 100mbps.

In my experience, Comcast does not actually deliver the speed that they claim.  They get away with it because their packages say "up to x mbps."  For example, I was paying for 100 mbps download for a few years, but speed tests showed I was only getting between 12-16 mbps.  Comcast said that I needed to upgrade to a faster service to increase my speed, so I went up to 250 mbps download for a couple years.  I still was only actually getting 12-16 mbps.  This has been the complaint among many of my neighbors, too.  As such, our building jettisoned Comcast and went with a specialty provider who is giving us much better speeds, more reliable service, and much lower cost.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #144 on: November 08, 2017, 12:11:47 PM »

In my experience, Comcast does not actually deliver the speed that they claim.  They get away with it because their packages say "up to x mbps."  For example, I was paying for 100 mbps download for a few years, but speed tests showed I was only getting between 12-16 mbps.  Comcast said that I needed to upgrade to a faster service to increase my speed, so I went up to 250 mbps download for a couple years.  I still was only actually getting 12-16 mbps.  This has been the complaint among many of my neighbors, too.  As such, our building jettisoned Comcast and went with a specialty provider who is giving us much better speeds, more reliable service, and much lower cost.
I've found Comcast to be very neighborhood-specific with regards to both reliability and speed.  I've paid for 16mbps and gotten 20 (zero downtime ever), paid for 16mbps and gotten 5 (with occasional downtime), and paid for 25mbps and gotten 30 (maybe one short outage over two years), all at different addresses.  When it's good it's really good and when it's bad it's really bad.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2017, 07:28:42 AM »
We have been informed that our fiber cable at home will be made faster in 2018 and therefore the price will go up with 10%.
This provider gives very stable internet, compared to a competitor where neighbours are really unhappy with. So I won't switch provider, but I will have a look at their website to check whether they will offer som cheaper low usage option.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2017, 08:53:47 AM »
$68 a month for what's supposed to be 1mbps down (not a typo). However, I never get more than at most 450K down, 200K up. I'm happy to see 180K down as a general rule because it's so often less, and because 180 seems to be the minimum to smoothly run most things with images turned off in my browser. This is DSL, our only option until I bite the bullet and pay $2k and (more importantly) allow our private road to be completely torn up running a buried line for cable. Beginning to think I'll hold out a while in case fiber comes along to avoid doing twice the damage to the only road in.

Rural living has its downsides. In fact, someone from the DSL company is supposed to come look at things again today. Wonder if they remembered to tell him the gate code?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2017, 01:55:29 PM »
until I bite the bullet and pay $2k and (more importantly) allow our private road to be completely torn up running a buried line for cable. Beginning to think I'll hold out a while in case fiber comes along to avoid doing twice the damage to the only road in.
Could you install some sort of conduit so that you could do cable now, and fiber later with minimal impact/cost?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2017, 03:04:52 PM »
Cable company is very reluctant to install in conduit. Don't think they will, though we've asked. Hard to pull through a quarter mile of conduit, anyway, maybe impossible.

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2017, 09:09:39 PM »
We paid $55/month for 5mpbs from Centurylink but last week I got upset with that price so they lowered it to $25/month for the next 12 months. And yes, that is the fastest speeds available from that provider in our area

I have Century Link DSL 4mbps for $34/mo. For the last 4 years I had been able to keep the price around $20/mo by keeping up with calling them and asking for new promo rates. 4mbps is the fastest they (Century Link) can give me in my neighborhood so it had been easy to ask for a better price. This year it has been harder to get them to give me a better price despite the many phone calls I've made to the Loyalty Dept.

I have been shopping around for other deals now and may eventually switch to a new provider. I've been looking into a couple of local wireless internet providers. It's around $30-40/mo for 20-30 mbps service. They have been putting up antennas all over the place. These seem to work well for the rural customers that don't usually get other internet service wired out their properties.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!