Author Topic: How much do you pay for home internet?  (Read 32167 times)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: How much do you pay for home internet?
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2017, 07:45:05 AM »
$39.99/mo (plus BS fees for a total of ~$48) for Comcast.  25mbps with basic-basic cable and HBO (internet-only would have been 49.99 because screw you).  Rate increases in May, so I'll have to employ the call-and-bitch method to get something similar again (have to do that once a year, hasn't failed me yet).

Only other current option is bad expensive DSL (double the cost for half the speed), but gigabit fiber is being deployed this year in my neighborhood, so hopefully real competition will help things along.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 10:44:00 AM by ketchup »

BurtMacklin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2017, 09:24:40 AM »
TWC (spectrum) 100 mps $60

prettypaperwork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2017, 10:35:06 AM »
Used to pay $67/month to AT&T,but pay $0 now for home internet. 

We do pay $80 total for two cellphones that have up to 16 GB personal wifi which is plenty for our needs and unlimited data on phones.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2017, 10:54:46 AM »
And to anyone who says they is only ONE ISP in your area, you are wrong. Just like the people who say they were only 4 cell phone providers. Yes you may be using the same hardware, but there are plenty of sub companies to get your internet through.

How do we go about finding them, then? Because I've used like, 'address lookup for ISP' sites and it is... drumroll... just comcast. Even a half mile away they get into other providers, but not here. So what am I missing?

If you're rural, your choices go down really fast.  Often it is:
* cellular at fairly high cost
* satellite at fairly high cost, "fair use policy" issues, high latency, high startup costs.  (Sometimes there are specials on startup costs.)
* wireless ISPs, reasonable throughput, often pretty high cost since (at least around here) they are mom & pop organizations

If you're hanging off a SLIC out in the country, the telco may not think it's worth the cost to put in the cards to run DSL.  (Ours would not.)

Before the local cable company expanded to us... we were paying  about $80/mo for very slow capped rate using cellular.  Don't even think about streaming video. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2017, 11:00:48 AM »
And to anyone who says they is only ONE ISP in your area, you are wrong. Just like the people who say they were only 4 cell phone providers. Yes you may be using the same hardware, but there are plenty of sub companies to get your internet through.

How do we go about finding them, then? Because I've used like, 'address lookup for ISP' sites and it is... drumroll... just comcast. Even a half mile away they get into other providers, but not here. So what am I missing?

* satellite at fairly high cost, "fair use policy" issues, high latency, high startup costs.  (Sometimes there are specials on startup costs.)
* wireless ISPs, reasonable throughput, often pretty high cost since (at least around here) they are mom & pop organizations

If you're hanging off a SLIC out in the country, the telco may not think it's worth the cost to put in the cards to run DSL.  (Ours would not.)

Before the local cable company expanded to us... we were paying  about $80/mo for very slow capped rate using cellular.  Don't even think about streaming video.

We're not rural per se, kinda big town/small city, suburban feeling area. I was just very curious about MoonLite's assertion than ANYONE who thinks there's only one option is WRONG. Legitimately no idea where to go to research this further.

Laurenji

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2017, 11:54:04 AM »
We're paying $90/mo for Comcast, for (I think) 50MB. We hate it, but AT&T's prices are more expensive per/MB - last time we looked, AT&T was slightly cheaper for way slower service. I would LOVE to get RCN, but our apartment building was wired by comcast so we're kind of stuck.

bigfoot11

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2017, 12:19:01 PM »
Century Link- $53.42

I would recommend not using them if you live in a rural area like I do though.

MoonLiteNite

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2017, 07:19:18 PM »

We're not rural per se, kinda big town/small city, suburban feeling area. I was just very curious about MoonLite's assertion than ANYONE who thinks there's only one option is WRONG. Legitimately no idea where to go to research this further.

As the guy above you said. There are always other options.  Just like I said about cell phones and we say about " needing"  a car.

Don't turn a blind eye to other options.

Ohhh and the guy above you didn't mention it but isdn connections are still  out there for fairly cheap.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2017, 08:09:56 AM »

As the guy above you said. There are always other options.  Just like I said about cell phones and we say about " needing"  a car.

Don't turn a blind eye to other options.

Ohhh and the guy above you didn't mention it but isdn connections are still  out there for fairly cheap.

I'm the guy above.  I will say: I really only have one viable option.  Yes, I could have WISP, satellite or cellular in my location, but they're very expensive, data capped and slow.  (Costs much more for much less bandwidth.)

I had ISDN back when it was new and cool.  The current web is NOT designed for ISDN.  I went for several years with a cellular connection (before 4G) that was slightly faster than ISDN.  Holy moly.  Not only can you forget video, but so many web sites today are written with extreme high bandwidth taken for granted.  For example, I was just trying to look at a web site for the local county fair and it was so bandwidth intensive that the page was useless.  (And I had a cacheing proxy server and very aggressive ad blocking to try to streamline things.)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2017, 08:17:01 AM »
$60 per month.  Only non-dish company that serves our "rural" (we used to be rural, we aren't anymore- but ISPs haven't kept up) area.  The two dish companies are MUCH more expensive, though you can get the "internet" price down if you bundle with television service.
We can't even get cable (not that I want it.)

Edit: I think a LOT of that $60 is taxes. Oddly DSL is taxed WAY higher than internet from a satellite company is.  But the overall bill is still lower.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:48:34 PM by iowajes »

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2017, 08:39:20 AM »
I am on the Shaw 30/5 plan which ordinarily costs $80/mo, but have been able to secure a $40/mo discount as there is some competition in the area.  I sometimes consider going to 15/1 but that would only save a couple dollars per month.

I never used to think of internet as being expensive, but after optimizing a large portion of my spending it has become one of my largest recurring costs.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2017, 10:12:58 AM »
$39.99 for 100mb/s, Spectrum, all taxes included. We do own our own modem. It was $45.99 for a year, then they increased to $54 and my husband called and threatened to cancel, so they lowered it to $39.99 AND gave us a credit for difference for the one month they charged $54. We are fortunate to live in a narrow area where we have lots of options so prices are fairly reasonable.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2017, 02:39:46 PM »
Too much.

$77.99 for 40Mbps via fiber Centurylink.

This year hopefully a local company will be putting in a line down our street, cutting our bill to $34.95 for 50Mbps.
or $44.95 for 100Mbps
or $54.95 for 250Mbps
or $69.95 for 1Gbps
all via fiber and a buried line instead of another eyesore backyard string. And that's the total price...tax and fees included. I can't wait.

50Mbps works just fine for our needs.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2017, 03:12:06 PM »

I was going to ask the same thing. I'm not oblivious to "other" options, but the reality is that the local cable company is the only decent speed option. Sure, I could pay $50 instead of $65 and cut my 10Mb connection down to 2Mb, but that's not really what I'd call a viable alternative.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2017, 03:24:09 PM »
$40/Month for 25 Mb/s down on AT&T.

rg422

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2017, 03:40:25 PM »
We pay $105 a month for 150Mbps here in Central Valley California. Makes my home-based job a lot easier/faster as it requires downloading fairly large files, so well worth the extra amount over what it was previously.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2017, 04:38:27 PM »
39.99 TWC 50/10 internet

justvisitedyesterday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »
$75, but split with neighbor using Ubiquit Nano

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2017, 07:31:46 PM »
$75 with Cox for 50/5 cable internet. It was cheaper, more like $53, but all the discounts I had negotiated a year ago dropped off. And this time they don't want to give anything, tried twice. I can get Fios for less, haven't switched yet because I have multiple emails going back more than a decade on Cox, that will take a bit to unwind.

LAdria27

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2017, 06:57:30 AM »
I used to pay 40$per month. 18 months ago I bought a wifi booster antenna with 10 meters of cable (TOTAL 28$) I´ve put it outside and now I have free internet from my neighboors. (in my country if you have the same provider as your neighboor you can access their internet with your PW. I asked a friend of mine who have the same provider as my neighboors to give me his user and pw)

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2017, 07:34:26 AM »
We pay $56.50 for DSL - unlimited data 25Mbps down 10Mbps up.  This pricing is with Start Communications for all you Ontarians.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2017, 07:41:35 AM »
We pay around 470 NOK (55 USD) per month for a very reliable fibernet 30/30. This works so well for us that we don't want to swap to anything else. We have seen on internet that other people in the same area use other providers and are regularly complaining about not having internet. We haven't experienced this.

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2017, 08:53:54 AM »
Had a contract with comcast for $60/mo which just ended, and it went to $90/mo. Called and got a new contract at 25 Mbps for $40 instead of the 100 Mbps I had before.

Their pricing is such a scam, if you don't call and complain every year they charge you extra. I'm generally against more unnecessary regulations, but if we're going to have government enforced monopolies on cable service we should have legislated price controls for them as well.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2017, 10:13:24 AM »
I went into Comcast's acct portal and selected a new plan. I was all getting ready to argue with them on the phone about my service and cancel and whatnot, but in the customer portal, they have retention offers you can choose from. Well, that's laz-y.

I went from $74.95 for 75Mbps to $49.95 for 100Mbps. There was only a choice between 25Mbps and 100Mbps and the difference was $10 bucks, so whatever, went with the faster one. Still cheaper than what I was paying before.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2017, 10:24:23 AM »
tomorrow I'll have to pay $78 for 24 mbps...Fail.

I hate monopolies.

aaahhrealmarcus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Declutter. Decommodify. Denerdify.
    • Minimally Nerdy
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2017, 11:51:53 AM »
I live in an apartment that's only wired for AT&T U-verse, which has an introductory rate ~$40/mo but goes up after the first year. I rode that out for a year, and around that time my building added "guest" Wi-Fi. I ditched the home internet and switched to their Wi-Fi, which admittedly sucks, but that's one more luxury I can do without!

Currently still paying ~$37/mo for Project Fi on my smartphone, which is equivalent to my utilities.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2017, 11:58:53 AM »
$30/mo with Comcast. No idea how fast, but it's good enough for husband to lay League of Legends, so that's all that matters (apparently).

Much better than the $85/mo we were spending in Alaska for capped internet. We had 250G at the end after being upgraded from 150G at the same price when we first lived there. One Amazon Prime video is 3-4G, so it was a great incentive not to watch too much TV.

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2017, 03:31:18 PM »
We pay $56.50 for DSL - unlimited data 25Mbps down 10Mbps up.  This pricing is with Start Communications for all you Ontarians.

Oh, How I wish we had more than an old copper connection!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 03:33:02 PM by Rightflyer »

Altons Bobs

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2017, 05:13:05 PM »
$125 that's a bundle with TV, Internet, and phone. We only have 2 choices in our area, this (FiOS) or Comcast. There is no way I will go back to Comcast, so this is it.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2017, 05:38:41 PM »
93$/month for 80GB max.

Because we live in rural Quebec and this is literally the cheapest option we have that's good enough to use work VPN with. In comparison, my mom lives in the nearest city and pays half that for unlimited downloads at 3x the speed we get. Grrr.

The town is talking about putting in fiber internet in the next year. I hope, I wish, I pray...

ShortStuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Earnest loan refinance
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2017, 10:00:33 PM »
$29.99/month for 25/25Mbps through Comcast.  We have Verizon as a competitor so I think that drives prices down.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:08:09 AM by ShortStuff »

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2017, 06:27:47 AM »
$40/month for Comcast internet that speedtests at 230 Mbps down, 12 Mbps up.  I don't know the actual rating because they use stupid terms like "blast" and "performance" internet, which apparently mean different things depending on each market.  I've had this rate 2 years and got it after filing an FCC complaint against them for seriously wronging me.  If they do you wrong in a meaningful way that has not been resolved by phone, I highly recommend filing an FCC complaint. At least under the previous Administration it meant something.

I think folks are confusing megabytes and megabits.  1 megabyte = 8 megabits.

nolefan21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2017, 05:53:37 PM »
$59.99 with Spectrum (formerly TWC). Started at $35, went to $45 and now after 2 years is $59.99 for their middle level that is decent enough for streaming etc.

Think it is too high but it is our only option in our neighborhood.

mpg350

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2017, 08:53:57 PM »
Was paying $82 a month for 25mb but I called frontier and they matched another company so $45 a month is the new rate.

MoonLiteNite

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2017, 04:20:22 AM »

I had ISDN back when it was new and cool.  The current web is NOT designed for ISDN.  I went for several years with a cellular connection (before 4G) that was slightly faster than ISDN.  Holy moly.  Not only can you forget video, but so many web sites today are written with extreme high bandwidth taken for granted.  For example, I was just trying to look at a web site for the local county fair and it was so bandwidth intensive that the page was useless.  (And I had a cacheing proxy server and very aggressive ad blocking to try to streamline things.)

I guess viable is a personal term. Someone like me could NOT get by with less than 100mbs due to my charity work online. But someone like my dad gets by just fine with a 2mb connection to watch youtube. My grandma gets by using a 52k modem, enough to let her check her email and see pictures on facebook.
I will be hiking the PCT in a few months, i will be paying 50$/mo for .01mb connection, just enough to send text and emails. May not be viable for you, but to me, that is epic and a great deal.

So there are no options for you for your wants at a price you believe is fair. There is plenty of other options, just none that you are willing to pay for, which is fair enough.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 04:21:57 AM by MoonLiteNite »

rasterra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2017, 07:25:02 PM »
I get 100Mbps with basic TV for $75/mo in Chattanooga, TN through EPB. I just bought an HD Antenna to replace the basic TV service and am bumping up my internet to 1 Gig for $70/mo, and saving $5/mo in the process.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2017, 07:28:33 AM »
Throwing down at lunch break with the cable company. Under $40 or bust!

Laurenji

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2017, 09:50:51 AM »
Good news! We were able to switch from Comcast to RCN and not only were we able to get internet only (without TV), our bill is going down from $90 to $47 a month!

frogstomp81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2017, 10:35:02 AM »
$15 for 8 Mbps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2017, 01:44:36 PM »
I don't. My apartment complex has a few wifi spots so if I need internet, I just go there for a few hours. :)

I think I paid $27 a month at my last place, but I don't remember the details.

Habilis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2017, 02:01:27 PM »
$50/mo 15Mbps from Cox cable (no other services) shared with a neighbor so my out of pocket cost is $25/mo.

fh2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2017, 01:59:25 PM »
I have been paying AT&T Uverse $67/month for internet with 24Mbps, $27 for phone.  Lately, Spectrum marketed heavily in our area in Southern California with $29.95 internet, and $29.95 phone.  I called AT&T to get a price match. 

They gave me a current promotion: 45Mbps internet for $30/month, and phone for $22/month.  So, I should save $35 a month for a year.  I will call them again next year.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2017, 02:17:13 PM »
$45 for 15Mbps through Comcast under a 2 year contract (it was $30 per month for the first year).  I use my own modem which Comcast keeps on telling me is "outdated".  It's working just fine.  No phone and no cable TV.

gingernurse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2017, 10:52:57 AM »
We have moved to a rural area and have 2 options.  Satellite for $130/month and awful.  And A verizon hotspot.  We cannot get cell service from any other company.  We were loyal republic users and had to switch after the move.  We pay a miserable $160/month for "unlimited" data which is unreliable at best. (We have 2 phones and a hotspot.) I am headed back to school and have to use the library for internet :( I wish that there was another option.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2017, 11:27:26 AM »
We have moved to a rural area and have 2 options.  Satellite for $130/month and awful.  And A verizon hotspot.  We cannot get cell service from any other company.  We were loyal republic users and had to switch after the move.  We pay a miserable $160/month for "unlimited" data which is unreliable at best. (We have 2 phones and a hotspot.) I am headed back to school and have to use the library for internet :( I wish that there was another option.

This is exactly where I was about 10 years ago.  My condolences.  This was also before they sold separate hot spots and was back in the days of 3G speed.  I built my own hotspot with a router and a USB cellular dongle.  I don't miss it.

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2017, 10:01:59 AM »

My sympathies. I am also rural, though we have a few more internet options than you. For cell service have you tried US Cellular? They cater to mostly rural areas and I believe they also have hotspots.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2017, 10:05:17 AM »
56/26 on a speed test, $65 a month.

carloco

• Stubble
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2017, 07:50:13 PM »
FiOS: $50/month

I signed up again.  currently $30 a month with some discounts with 50/50 speed.  I will have to cancel in April and renegotiate.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2017, 08:59:53 PM »
$15 a month with Spectrum (was Time Warner), and have been paying that for about 4 years now.  I'm not sure how I escaped the bump ups that everyone seems to experience, but every time someone from Time Warner (or Spectrum) called to "upgrade" me, never let em get past "Hello, this is John Doe from Time Warner" lol.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2017, 09:15:11 PM »
$39.99/mo (plus BS fees for a total of ~$48) for Comcast.  25mbps with basic-basic cable and HBO (internet-only would have been 49.99 because screw you).  Rate increases in May, so I'll have to employ the call-and-bitch method to get something similar again (have to do that once a year, hasn't failed me yet).

Only other current option is bad expensive DSL (double the cost for half the speed), but gigabit fiber is being deployed this year in my neighborhood, so hopefully real competition will help things along.
I do have fiber now, 1000mbps down and 250mbps up for $70/mo.  It was very enjoyable to call Comcast and quit.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!