Author Topic: How much do you pay for home internet?  (Read 32222 times)

mousebandit

• Bristles
Re: How much do you pay for home internet?
« Reply #150 on: November 17, 2017, 11:09:56 PM »
We are satellite only, use Hughes net for $75/mo, capped.   No cell service out this far,so hotspot not an option.  We usually get 6mb down, but weather can make it practically paralyzed.  Even with all that, after dealing with frontier for decades, I am happy with HughesNet. 

I can barely imagine 1000mbps! 

MM_MG

• Stubble
« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2017, 11:17:48 PM »
I think around $60 per month.   Just tested it at 65 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up.  Worth every penny as slow internet just kills me. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: November 18, 2017, 05:39:26 AM »
We are satellite only, use Hughes net for $75/mo, capped.   No cell service out this far,so hotspot not an option.  We usually get 6mb down, but weather can make it practically paralyzed.  Even with all that, after dealing with frontier for decades, I am happy with HughesNet. 

I can barely imagine 1000mbps!

What sort of cap, and are you able to manage most of what you need within it? Actively looking here, though I don't know I can get a clear view to the south for sure.

I am aware of the rain issues, but my DSL goes out when it rains, too...

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2017, 12:50:53 PM »
$68 a month for what's supposed to be 1mbps down (not a typo). However, I never get more than at most 450K down, 200K up. I'm happy to see 180K down as a general rule because it's so often less, and because 180 seems to be the minimum to smoothly run most things with images turned off in my browser. This is DSL, our only option until I bite the bullet and pay $2k and (more importantly) allow our private road to be completely torn up running a buried line for cable. Beginning to think I'll hold out a while in case fiber comes along to avoid doing twice the damage to the only road in.

Rural living has its downsides. In fact, someone from the DSL company is supposed to come look at things again today. Wonder if they remembered to tell him the gate code?

I've heard HughesNet offers satellite-based internet, 25Mbps down, $50/mo.  Would that work for you? 

They gave that offer for an address I know in a rural area.  Not sure why it would vary, but maybe it does.

https://www.hughesnet.com/get-started

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2017, 12:52:48 PM »
$33 a month with auto pay. wireless service.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: November 19, 2017, 07:30:43 PM »
$68 a month for what's supposed to be 1mbps down (not a typo). However, I never get more than at most 450K down, 200K up. I'm happy to see 180K down as a general rule because it's so often less, and because 180 seems to be the minimum to smoothly run most things with images turned off in my browser. This is DSL, our only option until I bite the bullet and pay $2k and (more importantly) allow our private road to be completely torn up running a buried line for cable. Beginning to think I'll hold out a while in case fiber comes along to avoid doing twice the damage to the only road in.

Rural living has its downsides. In fact, someone from the DSL company is supposed to come look at things again today. Wonder if they remembered to tell him the gate code?

I've heard HughesNet offers satellite-based internet, 25Mbps down, $50/mo.  Would that work for you? 

They gave that offer for an address I know in a rural area.  Not sure why it would vary, but maybe it does.

I think they are available, but they have a hard monthly data cap. Hoping to find out more about that.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #156 on: November 19, 2017, 08:41:59 PM »

I think they are available, but they have a hard monthly data cap. Hoping to find out more about that.

For the address I entered in their website, their cheapest plan showed a 10GB data cap.  Anyway, good luck.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #157 on: November 19, 2017, 08:52:28 PM »
$45/month locked for 2 years
CenturyLink Fiber
100Mbps down, 50Mbps up. The fast upload speed is great for my line of work.
Contrary to what CenturyLink will tell you, you are able to use your own router and not rent or purchase theirs.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2017, 01:23:02 AM »
Cable company is very reluctant to install in conduit. Don't think they will, though we've asked. Hard to pull through a quarter mile of conduit, anyway, maybe impossible.

Do you have power access at the road? If you could get a modem properly sheltered/powered, maybe something like this could work for you.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:24:43 AM by JLee »

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #159 on: March 03, 2018, 10:33:58 AM »
Welp, my 12 month discount with Centurylink just ended and I am now paying around $55/month for 11mbps. Wish me luck as I call customer service and try to get the discount reinstated.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: March 03, 2018, 12:23:50 PM »
Well, unfortunately my costs just went up $4 a month.  Now at $28 after my $2 prepay discount.

My DSL always suffered from rain fade, so I didn't think anything of it when it went down during a rain storm at first.  Long story short, after several days of it being down and the circuit provider not even returning calls, I switched to cable (basically my only option).  Went from 1 Mbps up to 20 Mbps, but lost my unlimited Internet and now have a 100 GiB cap.  Ugh.  That kills working from home.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2018, 01:02:29 PM »
69/26 per speed test @ $65 a month

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2018, 08:13:56 PM »
I'm too lazy, but would someone take an average of all of the responses so far?

<3

swampwiz

• Bristles
« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2018, 12:07:34 AM »
I pay $15/mo (cheaper if for longer period) at pcsforpeople.org.  To get this deal, one must have an income below 200% of poverty, but since I am on a Roth ladder and only have Roth conversion up to the 0% federal tax rate - and total income below 138% so as to not lose qualifying for ObamaRomneyHeritageCare Medicaid expansion - this is not an issue for me.  It is mobile phone cell service via a hotspot supplied by Sprint.  It seems OK for most stuff, but I have had issues trying to stream athletic events at pirate sites; I think Sprint slows it down intentionally.

When I am abroad in Russia, I get 100M service for about $7/mo.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2018, 02:15:43 AM »
In my area the MegaCableCo and MegaTelCo give lower rates for new customers.  The catch is you need to cancel the service and come back a month(s) later.  For me the new price will drop from $65 to $40 for a year, with higher speeds.  Playing off between the two and cell data plans someone can save a lot if they are willing to go through the bother.  I get OTA TV with an antenna so no need to worry about packages.  For someone into TV, a service like YouTubeTV gives a lot of the non OTA channels with a DVR service.  The downside is it costs $35 a month.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #165 on: March 05, 2018, 06:52:44 AM »
i'm still at 0 bucks for the next 5 years with google fiber 6MB