Author Topic: How many working days do you have left?  (Read 62803 times)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
Re: How many working days do you have left?
« Reply #200 on: October 04, 2021, 11:52:28 AM »
9 more working days.  I can't believe I'm almost there. 

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #201 on: October 04, 2021, 12:45:42 PM »
Really rough/overestimate is 2600, if I stay in my current job. There's an extra health insurance benefit if I retire after 60. I'm finding my current job very manageable  between the option to work remotely and the fairly generous PTO.  We're looking at just 5 more years for my husband, which would put him at 53.  These numbers may not seem like it, but we're feeling like we're in the home stretch. The question has morphed more to how much do we want to retire with, vs can we.

Had an old director stick around for the health insurance stayed 3 extra years for it (unnecessary years).  He tragically lost his wife to stage 5 cancer and his daughter in the first 9 months of retirement. 

Nothing is guaranteed the ACA exists as do many other options for health insurance.  Don't stick around longer than you need to for health insurance.  I'm sure the publicly available care will be far better in 13 years as well.  I see far too many from the Gen X and up generations fall into the trap of health insurance being tied to jobs and having to stick with it til they can buy it from their company.  No fault to them its now health insurance was invented in this country and how its been their whole lives.  Its also the number 1 question i get asked by older family and even coworkers when I tell them I'm retiring.
On the other hand, I was out of work for 6 years recently to care for my elderly mother.  It would have been so much easier if there were more money for her care, and with an eye towards that, working a bit longer will improve our own ability to pay for help that we may need in our old age.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #202 on: October 04, 2021, 12:54:39 PM »
Really rough/overestimate is 2600, if I stay in my current job. There's an extra health insurance benefit if I retire after 60. I'm finding my current job very manageable  between the option to work remotely and the fairly generous PTO.  We're looking at just 5 more years for my husband, which would put him at 53.  These numbers may not seem like it, but we're feeling like we're in the home stretch. The question has morphed more to how much do we want to retire with, vs can we.

Had an old director stick around for the health insurance stayed 3 extra years for it (unnecessary years).  He tragically lost his wife to stage 5 cancer and his daughter in the first 9 months of retirement. 

Nothing is guaranteed the ACA exists as do many other options for health insurance.  Don't stick around longer than you need to for health insurance.  I'm sure the publicly available care will be far better in 13 years as well.  I see far too many from the Gen X and up generations fall into the trap of health insurance being tied to jobs and having to stick with it til they can buy it from their company.  No fault to them its now health insurance was invented in this country and how its been their whole lives.  Its also the number 1 question i get asked by older family and even coworkers when I tell them I'm retiring.
On the other hand, I was out of work for 6 years recently to care for my elderly mother.  It would have been so much easier if there were more money for her care, and with an eye towards that, working a bit longer will improve our own ability to pay for help that we may need in our old age.

https://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/

i'd look at something like this and digest the other side of the equation before locking in years that can't ever be given back.

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #203 on: October 04, 2021, 02:18:12 PM »

Wahooo!  So close! That’s awesome!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #204 on: October 04, 2021, 02:19:41 PM »

Yes, thanks.  It doesn't feel real yet, although starting the process of giving things away to my coworkers today is making it feel a little more real. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #205 on: October 04, 2021, 02:27:53 PM »

Yes, thanks.  It doesn't feel real yet, although starting the process of giving things away to my coworkers today is making it feel a little more real.

you mean you dont want to keep all that company crap thats been cluttering your desk for the past xxx years?

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #206 on: October 04, 2021, 02:52:59 PM »

you mean you dont want to keep all that company crap thats been cluttering your desk for the past xxx years?

Definitely not.  Most of it is not actually mine anyway, so it's been nice to be sarcastically generous to my coworkers by giving them "my" stuff. 

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #207 on: October 04, 2021, 04:49:45 PM »

https://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/

i'd look at something like this and digest the other side of the equation before locking in years that can't ever be given back.
Hard to lock in anything when we're 5 years out until even one of us can retire. Then we'll be in FAFSA years for my kids. If husband continues to work then, we'll be screwed by college costs. We likely won't have enough for both of us to retire by then, though. It's my turn to support us after all the support he gave to me.
Anyway,  it's all in the idea stage.  I don't have a contract to work 11 more years or anything!  If I get sick of it, I can always re-evaluate,  like I alluded to from the beginning.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: October 04, 2021, 09:22:15 PM »

Congrats!! So cool to read. ;)

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: October 04, 2021, 09:28:13 PM »
I essentially work 4.5 days per week, on a 9 days/80 hours schedule.

Plus vacations, plus holidays. I am not taking any more Sick Leave, as it adds to my service credit for my pension, if unused.

I'm at the senior level for vacation accrual, so I accrue 5 weeks of VL per year. Plus 12 holidays.

Four and 1/2 days per week x 52 weeks = 234 work days annually.
234 days minus 12 holidays = 222 work days annually.
222 work days minus 25 vacation days = 197 work days annually.
197 days/365 per year.

I have 4 years and one month left.

So 4 years x 197 days plus 20 work days in the last month. So 808 work days left.

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #210 on: October 04, 2021, 09:57:00 PM »
Golden handcuffs come totally off in 14.5 months. I will probably work another ~4 months, so make it 18 months total.  So that makes 390 week days.  I will be able to take annual leave of 107 days.  I should have another 18 holidays.  And I have a ton of sick leave I can try to use (currently stands at 140 days), but will probably only use 20-30 days at most. 

So I probably have left (390-107-18-25) ~240 work days remaining.

When it gets to be less than 100 I will know its real.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: October 05, 2021, 10:04:33 AM »
This thread made me calculate vacation days and holidays to look at what's left.  I came up with 43 days.  It would take me to the end of the year.  However, I've yet to put in any notice.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #212 on: October 05, 2021, 11:25:54 AM »
I'm hoping to know the exact date by end of February, 2022 (143 days from now). From there, I'll flex based on a few factors, but likely 3 months or so from then.

nessa

• Stubble
« Reply #213 on: October 05, 2021, 12:37:43 PM »
I have a longer timeline as this year I am just pulling myself out of debt - I haven't announced my FIRE date but I have it planned.

Right now I'm focusing on When I Become Fully Vested In My 401k, which will be September 24, 2024. Its been a running joke-not-joke with my colleagues that when we are fully vested we can cut and run with no regrets LOL

So right now, 587 days until I can cut bait and take ALL THE MONIES with me.

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #214 on: October 05, 2021, 01:52:16 PM »
~2,200 days (~10 years)

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: October 06, 2021, 03:41:32 PM »
290 work days.

DrinkCoffeeStackMoney

• Stubble
« Reply #216 on: October 07, 2021, 10:16:16 AM »
With no long term market downturns and not considering future raises or promotions, I'm looking at 1,668 work days as of today, 10/07/21.
I could pull the plug sooner but the date I've selected will put me in an amazing spot financially.

Canuck042

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #217 on: October 21, 2021, 07:45:07 AM »
11.5 working days left. I found this post a bit late :)

We're not back in the office yet, so I'll take a trip to work tomorrow to grab a load of stuff from my desk. I still have up some decorations in advance of St. Patricks Day 2020... but everyone was sent home on short notice before that day arrived.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #218 on: October 21, 2021, 07:57:24 AM »
~33 this year til i put my notice in next year - then i have 8 days in 2022

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #219 on: October 21, 2021, 10:57:44 AM »
991 working days (I have an internal "quit date" of 31 December 2025, so I still make the 2025 cohort), holiday allowance is already taken out.

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #220 on: October 21, 2021, 11:09:40 AM »
89 working days to go.  Tick tock!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #221 on: October 21, 2021, 12:39:12 PM »
135, which feels like an eternity right now.......and winter is coming.

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #222 on: October 21, 2021, 03:42:40 PM »
135, which feels like an eternity right now.......and winter is coming.

The longest of eternitys! Lol! Feels like it will never actually get here. 

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #223 on: November 15, 2021, 12:23:56 PM »
75 work days to go! Shit is getting real!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #224 on: November 15, 2021, 12:38:38 PM »

after today i have 22 days left this year and 8 days left next year one more day til we're in the 20s!

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #225 on: November 15, 2021, 12:41:40 PM »

after today i have 22 days left this year and 8 days left next year one more day til we're in the 20s!

Oh man, you have to be climbing the walls!

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #226 on: November 15, 2021, 12:45:48 PM »
340 work days minus 30 vacay days on the books plus 30 more days that will be earned prior to retirement.  So, 280 work days remaining.  Can't believe it.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #227 on: November 15, 2021, 12:58:11 PM »

Oh man, you have to be climbing the walls!

I'm "working" from home.  its actually like senioritis in school, my GAF is about at 0 - i took 12 weeks off this summer and delegated my entire job.  Then came back and asked everyone what they liked and didn't like and also let them know I'd be leaving at year end so if they liked it they could just keep doing it longer term.  And most just kept doing my job with me providing high level insights.  pretty fantastic setup. 

I don't have a particularly toxic job IMO.  I'm just very anti established norms that aren't logical.  ie the 40 hour work week I'm faster than you I should get more time, nope you just get more work and we'll move you up faster so you get paid more.  cool but i'd like time,  But Why? everyone likes money.  I feel like my boss has to be catching on to my lax of attentiveness but I'm one of the few that doesnt have to be worried about on his team.  numbers are all good so i'll just coast this out. 

I'm so mentally checked out at this point.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #228 on: November 16, 2021, 05:43:18 AM »
well i decided i'm taking my PTO this year instead of burning it for cash next year after i leave so what would have been 29 days left after today is now down to 22 this is crazy to think about

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #229 on: November 16, 2021, 06:03:00 AM »
Down to <100 working days :)

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #230 on: November 16, 2021, 06:05:27 AM »

brandon4454

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #231 on: November 16, 2021, 11:30:08 AM »
Approximately 2036 days. Probably is going to be a lot less if me and my girlfriend stay together. Right now I'm basing it on what we will need on my one salary.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #232 on: November 16, 2021, 11:57:38 AM »
Approximately 2036 days. Probably is going to be a lot less if me and my girlfriend stay together. Right now I'm basing it on what we will need on my one salary.

so you're only accounting for your savings and nothing coming from her but your expected joint expenses.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #233 on: November 18, 2021, 03:01:14 PM »
I'm about at that now....hard to know as I'm sure I'll be taking some unpaid days off in 2022.  The day to day gets a little too difficult if I think much about it, its best when I just keep on keeping on and doing my best.  I am exhausted by 2:30p and notice I have quite the short fuse for any crap after that.

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #234 on: November 18, 2021, 06:33:41 PM »
I'm about at that now....hard to know as I'm sure I'll be taking some unpaid days off in 2022.  The day to day gets a little too difficult if I think much about it, its best when I just keep on keeping on and doing my best.  I am exhausted by 2:30p and notice I have quite the short fuse for any crap after that.

Agreed!  This last stretch is really hard.  It’s hard to stay engaged and focused when already checked out mentally.

I just wrote my resignation letter that I’m not submitting until February.  But it felt good and it feels like the last piece of the puzzle.

Saffron

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #235 on: November 23, 2021, 01:01:31 PM »
Pretty close to 1000 days left until my expected downshift date. Lots to do beforehand. Oh my goodness.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #236 on: November 24, 2021, 11:36:45 AM »
25 days to go till fat FIRE.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #237 on: November 24, 2021, 01:02:54 PM »
Congrats @gooki!
waves across the ditch/

brandon4454

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #238 on: November 29, 2021, 09:04:45 AM »

so you're only accounting for your savings and nothing coming from her but your expected joint expenses.
Exactly. She makes good money, but she was married to a spender which means she still has student loans and I've got a nice compounding stache.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #239 on: November 29, 2021, 11:31:36 AM »
Congrats @gooki!
waves across the ditch/

Cheers Happy. The plan was to check out of corporate life 2 years ago, but COVID added some concern, so I took the opportunity to fatten the stash. No regrets though and at least I got my summer off last year.

How's your journey going?

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #240 on: November 29, 2021, 01:31:15 PM »
52 more work days....will submit notice after the Holidays.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #241 on: November 30, 2021, 11:17:07 AM »
21 days left - will be in the teens at the end of the week.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #242 on: December 01, 2021, 05:04:39 AM »

You mentioned upthread that your team already knows.  Did you also give notice to your boss/HR?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #243 on: December 01, 2021, 05:28:50 AM »

You mentioned upthread that your team already knows.  Did you also give notice to your boss/HR?

No for a few reasons
1. We get large bonuses like 30-50% of my total comp for the year paid out mid december
2. If we stay and work just 1 day in 2022 we get our ESOP for a full extra year - its had very very good returns and likely will outperform the LTTs i plan to drop this money into anyway.  So its a pretty good bet.
3. I don't really want my bosses making me do a bunch of extra work to document a bunch of things b/c i'm terrible at documentation and therefore have been training people under the radar. 

1 and 2 alone are worth probably 100-150k minimum

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #244 on: December 01, 2021, 06:37:57 AM »

No for a few reasons
1. We get large bonuses like 30-50% of my total comp for the year paid out mid december
2. If we stay and work just 1 day in 2022 we get our ESOP for a full extra year - its had very very good returns and likely will outperform the LTTs i plan to drop this money into anyway.  So its a pretty good bet.
3. I don't really want my bosses making me do a bunch of extra work to document a bunch of things b/c i'm terrible at documentation and therefore have been training people under the radar. 

I've got a similar situation.  I turn 55 end of December which triggers some significant benefits such as being able to keep all my RSUs and NQSOs when I leave.  I also get my full year of vacation on Jan 1 and want to use that time to stay on Payroll til April 1 to allow for maxing one more year of pre-tax 401k contributions.  I plan to to tell them right after New Years Day Holiday and then pack up actual work by end Feb.

Interesting about the documentation.  So, are you just going to give 2 weeks notice in Jan?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #245 on: December 01, 2021, 07:18:22 AM »

No for a few reasons

I've got a similar situation.  I turn 55 end of December which triggers some significant benefits such as being able to keep all my RSUs and NQSOs when I leave.  I also get my full year of vacation on Jan 1 and want to use that time to stay on Payroll til April 1 to allow for maxing one more year of pre-tax 401k contributions.  I plan to to tell them right after New Years Day Holiday and then pack up actual work by end Feb.

Interesting about the documentation.  So, are you just going to give 2 weeks notice in Jan?

yeah i'm leaving at the age of 35 which is far more untraditional and unexpected.  at 55 I probably would have prepped them for this a year or 2 ago b/c thats a common age to retire here and wouldnt have affected much of this.  I'll be putting in my 2 weeks the first day i work in Jan.

Poor Rod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #246 on: December 03, 2021, 01:05:14 PM »
340 work days minus 30 vacay days on the books plus 30 more days that will be earned prior to retirement.  So, 280 work days remaining.  Can't believe it.

Very much in a similar situation, with 337 work days less 54 vacation days, so 283 days left at the desk. Although I could get paid for about 30 days of leave when I retire, I am pretty determined to actually take evey minute of vacation time as vacation. So I just submitted my vacation requests for 2022, and it looks like by scheduling it right with holidays and regular days off (I work 9 hour days with alternate Fridays off) I will be taking a total of 13 weeks off next year, one week a month (two in November). My boss is retiring this month, so he has no problem approving the leave as my absence won't affect him at all. I'll find out how it works out but now that I actually have the requests in I'm a bit amazed at how happy I am just looking forward to taking my last year as easy as I can.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #247 on: December 03, 2021, 01:15:54 PM »
I've been retired since 12/5/12. DH kept working because he took this job to get a sweet Defined Benefit Pension (with COLA!). He hit his number last year, but due to the pandemic and the fact he likes what he does, he was lollygagging about pulling the plug. This morning, he said he wanted to be out before his next birthday, which is in May. He's working on a strategic exit plan now, which makes Dicey very happy!

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #248 on: December 06, 2021, 08:38:07 AM »
2053 calendar days! That's slightly less than the life of this thread!

I've been at this FIRE business for about nine years. With 5.6 years left, I feel like it's the home stretch, but I will admit that 5.6 years seems like quite the stretch.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #249 on: December 08, 2021, 02:20:03 PM »
decided to take the last 2 weeks off with PTO -

now i have 5 days left this year and 8 next year.  almost to single digits.