Author Topic: How long can we wait while flattening the curve?  (Read 681442 times)

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
Re: How long can we wait while flattening the curve?
« Reply #5700 on: March 05, 2021, 03:40:11 PM »
It doesn't seem like such a big deal to me if far-away states like TX eliminate their mask mandates. I art organizing to vote Abbott out of office at the next opportunity, or maybe start thinking about moving. If I were a resident of TX or had to go there for some reason, I'd probably have a different opinion.

China is further away from you than Texas, and look what happened with that!

LOL

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5701 on: March 05, 2021, 03:54:40 PM »
Also it seems kind of hard on the people in Texas - like my sister - who actually don’t want to get Covid and die. Not that the mask mandate was particularly enforced in Texas, or in Ohio for that matter.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5702 on: March 05, 2021, 06:03:33 PM »
It doesn't seem like such a big deal to me if far-away states like TX eliminate their mask mandates. I mean, what's the difference to me and my family if people in TX get vaccinated or get infected? Either way, they're going to be less likely to spread the virus in the future, and that's all I really care about. If people in TX stop wearing masks, and that means the death rate there ends up being marginally higher, how will that affect me? I'm not going to go there and visit, during the pandemic, but if the people who elected Governor Abbot are generally okay with lifting mask mandates and going back to normal, now, it seems like that should be their choice. If not, maybe they should start organizing to vote Abbott out of office at the next opportunity, or maybe start thinking about moving. If I were a resident of TX or had to go there for some reason, I'd probably have a different opinion.

This was the attitude exactly a year ago this week that allowed the virus to circle the globe. You don't have to travel anywhere for a virus to come find you if you think it's somebody else's problem and they decide to travel.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5703 on: March 05, 2021, 09:13:00 PM »
Are you aware that this is a communicable disease? Are you also aware there isn't a travel ban between your state and Texas? I don't want to sound like a jerk, but really?

In 2018, George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) served 41,506,035 passengers, making it the fifteenth busiest airport in the United States.
https://upgradedpoints.com/george-bush-intercontinental-iah-airport

Assuming that airline travel is down 60%, that's still 16m per year, or 43,000 a day.

Also here's a list of 0-1 stop flights from Houston to Philadelphia tomorrow:
https://www.google.com/travel/flights/search?tfs=CBwQAhooagwIAhIIL20vMDNsMm4SCjIwMjEtMDMtMjFyDAgDEggvbS8wZGNsZxooagwIAxIIL20vMGRjbGcSCjIwMjEtMDMtMjVyDAgCEggvbS8wM2wybnABggELCP___________wFAAUgBmAEB&tfu=EgYIARABGAA&hl=en&gl=US&tcfs=EjIKCC9tLzA1dGJuEgxQZW5uc3lsdmFuaWEaGAoKMjAyMS0wMy0yMRIKMjAyMS0wMy0yNVICYAE
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 09:20:17 PM by Abe »

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5704 on: March 05, 2021, 10:50:03 PM »
Obviously, people from TX can travel and carry the virus with them wherever they go. That's happening already, though, mask mandates or no mask mandates. Although my state requires masks in public places, plenty of people here have refused to follow those rules from the very beginning. People in TX who believe it's important to slow the spread of coronavirus are already wearing masks and social distancing, whether their governor requires it, or not. Those who don't believe the recommendations of public health officials and their governor have not been wearing masks and social distancing, even though their states have been requiring it for the past year. Granted, it's helpful to have consistent messaging, starting from the very top of state government. I just don't think there's much we can do, at this point, if a couple of states out of 50 start relaxing their restrictions sooner than others. Guaranteed, more people are going to end up dead, but what can we do, realistically? People in TX who are against what their governor is doing should, obviously, be speaking out against it, and voting against him in the next election. What the governor of TX does or doesn't do just feels so far outside of my own, personal sphere of control that it doesn't seem to me to be worth worrying about. Sometimes, we have to be willing to accept things we cannot possibly change.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5705 on: March 06, 2021, 08:20:03 AM »
It doesn't seem like such a big deal to me if far-away states like TX eliminate their mask mandates. I mean, what's the difference to me and my family if people in TX get vaccinated or get infected? Either way, they're going to be less likely to spread the virus in the future, and that's all I really care about. If people in TX stop wearing masks, and that means the death rate there ends up being marginally higher, how will that affect me? I'm not going to go there and visit, during the pandemic, but if the people who elected Governor Abbot are generally okay with lifting mask mandates and going back to normal, now, it seems like that should be their choice. If not, maybe they should start organizing to vote Abbott out of office at the next opportunity, or maybe start thinking about moving. If I were a resident of TX or had to go there for some reason, I'd probably have a different opinion.

:headdesk:

Spiffy

• Bristles
« Reply #5706 on: March 06, 2021, 09:10:30 AM »
The university I work at in Texas isn't having a Spring Break this year because they don't want students and Faculty traveling and then bringing the virus back to campus. But all the other schools start spring break this week. Texans are about to spread out all across the nation! My nephew is on a plane right now to Washington DC. I know people from my kid's schools going to Arizona, Florida, Colorado, and Arkansas. There are probably people going to any country that will take them. I had to pick up my son from school for a dentist appt. on Friday and the school secretary asked where we were going! I said nowhere, there is a pandemic. She said lots of kids were signing out early to go on trips. Idiots.
I did not vote for Abbot and I think his end to the mask mandate is stupid. Lots of us will still wear masks but I know many that won't.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #5707 on: March 06, 2021, 09:41:06 AM »
I don’t think it will be that clean data because most of the large cities, and big retail chains (at least in Houston), have released notices they’re basically ignoring Abbott’s changes and continuing to follow CDC guidelines. I suspect the data will be GIGO and we will get a slew of nonsense retrospective multivariate analyses one can bludgeon into saying whatever one wants.

They may say that, but HEB, for one, is only "recommending" masks.  The company president explained their softer position as protecting employee safety, as the company had over 2,000 "incidents" of belligerent non-masked customers during the mandate--in Houston alone.

Gov. Abbott tried to cover his ass by saying also saying masks were recommended and it was now a matter for "personal responsibility."  But there are so many people who have so many reasons they have convinced themselves they don't need the inconvenience of masks, that will be a farce.  The usefulness of masks is primarily to protect *others*--an external benefit.  That is a classic case where government direction / consequences are needed.

We will be going into a quasi-lockdown, avoiding stores not requiring masks and restaurants going up to 100%. At least it will only be until May.  But for any Houstonians here, this is my analogy for the governor's move:

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5708 on: March 06, 2021, 08:41:42 PM »
Exciting treatment news was published last month nearly unnoticed by the media who are in a frenzy to discuss daily vaccination numbers

Inhaled budesonide (widely available asthma inhaler) reduces need for hospitalization by 90%

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-02-09-common-asthma-treatment-reduces-need-hospitalisation-covid-19-patients-study

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5709 on: March 07, 2021, 08:16:02 PM »
That’s not technically correct. It reduces the need for urgent care visit, ER visit or hospitalization by 90%. The majority of the patients were low risk and they don’t report the number actually hospitalized (half were under 44, so I doubt any needed hospitalization). Interestingly, the median time to symptom resolution was 3 vs 4 days; and almost all patients had resolution of symptoms within 2 weeks. These were not statistically significant.  Levels of the virus were no different in the arms nor were episodes of hypoxia. The only endpoints that were different were subjective measures of illness and seeking medical care. The endpoints’ validity are compromised by the trial design: patients were not blinded to their treatment arm. As a result, the primary outcome being driven by patients’ opinion of their illness rather than specific physiologic measures makes the study difficult to interpret. That, coupled with the trial being under-powered with only 11 events between the two arms, makes it difficult to conclude anything other than use of an inhaler may reduce patients’ subjective need to seek medical care after developing mild COVID-19.

I am a bit surprised Oxford’s IRB approved the trial that was so sloppily designed. I think they went with a composite endpoint due to limited sample size. A better endpoint would’ve been hospitalization alone, or persistent hypoxia (main reason people are hospitalized). I think it’s a good idea to investigate given dexametbasone’s success in a much larger and better designed trial for severe covid, and there’s pressure to identify any signal of benefit, but in normal circumstances this study would be heavily flagged during peer review for the above flaws.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 08:28:32 PM by Abe »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5710 on: March 08, 2021, 03:10:32 AM »
That’s not technically correct. It reduces the need for urgent care visit, ER visit or hospitalization by 90%. The majority of the patients were low risk and they don’t report the number actually hospitalized (half were under 44, so I doubt any needed hospitalization). Interestingly, the median time to symptom resolution was 3 vs 4 days; and almost all patients had resolution of symptoms within 2 weeks. These were not statistically significant.  Levels of the virus were no different in the arms nor were episodes of hypoxia. The only endpoints that were different were subjective measures of illness and seeking medical care. The endpoints’ validity are compromised by the trial design: patients were not blinded to their treatment arm. As a result, the primary outcome being driven by patients’ opinion of their illness rather than specific physiologic measures makes the study difficult to interpret. That, coupled with the trial being under-powered with only 11 events between the two arms, makes it difficult to conclude anything other than use of an inhaler may reduce patients’ subjective need to seek medical care after developing mild COVID-19.

I am a bit surprised Oxford’s IRB approved the trial that was so sloppily designed. I think they went with a composite endpoint due to limited sample size. A better endpoint would’ve been hospitalization alone, or persistent hypoxia (main reason people are hospitalized). I think it’s a good idea to investigate given dexametbasone’s success in a much larger and better designed trial for severe covid, and there’s pressure to identify any signal of benefit, but in normal circumstances this study would be heavily flagged during peer review for the above flaws.
The finding that patients reported fewer persistent symptoms after the main illness receded could be important, though - persistent symptoms for even the previously young and healthy are emerging as a significant issue, and patient perception is the only current measure for these.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5711 on: March 08, 2021, 05:37:45 PM »

Aren't you a general surgeon? I'd imagine trial design is not your area of expertise. That being said the 1 day recovery difference WAS statistically significant (p = 0.007) and it was 7 vs 8 days, not 3 vs 4. The proportion of patients reporting symptoms at day 14 was also statistically significant 10 vs 30% (p = 0.003).  Fever is also not a subjective report and was statistically different. You speak poorly of patient's ability to report symptoms, almost as if their perceptions have nothing to do with reality. I would assume that the daily phone calls / logs asked specific symptom related questions to gather the information. Not "You good bro?"  Additionally, to what purpose would finding statistically significant difference in viral load matter if it still results in an improvement of a patient's course of illness?

Also, comments from the scientific community seem to favor the trial design as it is.
https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-preprint-on-an-rct-of-inhaled-budesonide-in-the-treatment-of-early-covid-19/

Overall improvement at 14 days was not statistically significant, but if it decreases hospital visits it has a valid use. And it did list a "significant reduction of symptoms at 28 days" (long covid) in their discussion, despite me not being able to find specifics on it.

Is it a perfect study? No. Is it as bad as your quick response to it was? No also. Should further data be provided and further studies be done to confirm? Yes. Does it remain promising? Also yes.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5712 on: March 08, 2021, 06:10:05 PM »
Leaving aside the snarking, that trial is really interesting. Sure, it has obvious limitations in design, sample size, and setting, some of which were unavoidable as discussed in the Limitations paragraph. But the finding that the treatment reduced hospitalization (presumably by reducing inflammation and disease severity, as suggested by the significant difference in maximum body temperatures) warrants a larger, more well-designed prospective study. I’d also be interested in longer-term follow-up data to see if the speculation about reduced long-haul symptoms is supported by data. And CT scans to see if there are any effects on COVID pneumonia and lung fibrosis (although there was no significant between-arm difference in the percentages of patients with O2 sat levels below 94% during the first 14 days).

(Disclaimer: I am a life sciences/medical editor.)

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5713 on: March 08, 2021, 09:13:13 PM »

Aren't you a general surgeon? I'd imagine trial design is not your area of expertise. That being said the 1 day recovery difference WAS statistically significant (p = 0.007) and it was 7 vs 8 days, not 3 vs 4. The proportion of patients reporting symptoms at day 14 was also statistically significant 10 vs 30% (p = 0.003).  Fever is also not a subjective report and was statistically different. You speak poorly of patient's ability to report symptoms, almost as if their perceptions have nothing to do with reality. I would assume that the daily phone calls / logs asked specific symptom related questions to gather the information. Not "You good bro?"  Additionally, to what purpose would finding statistically significant difference in viral load matter if it still results in an improvement of a patient's course of illness?

Also, comments from the scientific community seem to favor the trial design as it is.
https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-preprint-on-an-rct-of-inhaled-budesonide-in-the-treatment-of-early-covid-19/

Overall improvement at 14 days was not statistically significant, but if it decreases hospital visits it has a valid use. And it did list a "significant reduction of symptoms at 28 days" (long covid) in their discussion, despite me not being able to find specifics on it.

Is it a perfect study? No. Is it as bad as your quick response to it was? No also. Should further data be provided and further studies be done to confirm? Yes. Does it remain promising? Also yes.

I'm not a general surgeon but won't belabor that point and somewhat surprised by your anger. I have other qualifications related to my clinical practice. For the record, most general surgeons are quite familiar with trial design since surgical trials are quite difficult to perform correctly, so they are discussed at length before being implemented. That being said, are you a clinical trial specialist? If not, then we're in the same boat and entitled to opinions from the study. That is the point of peer review and examining all the data rather than headlines.

- I agree that median time to self-reported recovery was 7 vs 8 days, which was significant. You are right about that. Peak fever temperature was statistically different, but unclear what significance a mean 0.5 degree difference at one time point is from clinical or patient perspective. The overall fever curve of the patients (in the supplemental data) was not significantly different, though use of anti-pyretics was less in the budesonide group.

The Flupro data (a validated questionnaire used for influenza, so probably useful for Covid and more standardized) reported was 3 vs 4 days median recovery, % symptom resolution at 14 days and change from day 0 to 14. The latter two were not significant but the change was. However, the separation occurred after most patients had stopped therapy. Hard to know what to make of all that, since a validated questionnaire should be considered as better evidence than unvalidated questionnaires. That two ways of measuring similar outcomes showed differing results should be considered in interpreting the data. The overall finding is that some objective and semi-quantitative findings were significant, and others weren't. It muddies the waters, unfortunately. The other point about this is the early recovery suggests that the overall symptom course in these patients was mild, and again suggests that hospitalization was uncommon. I would think if that endpoint alone was significant, they would note it in the paper.

- I do agree that the patient's perceptions are important, but you cannot ignore that a subjective outcome will be affected by a non-blinded trial. That is the purpose of blinding in a randomized trial. I don't need to be an expert in trial design to know that, and can assure you from experience that it would be not ignored in peer review.

- The primary endpoint remains "COVID-19-related Urgent Care visit, Emergency Department assessment or hospitalisation". They didn't provide a breakdown (unless someone can find the supplemental data, which probably has it) so we can't say it was hospitalizations that were reduced. That is my other point and where the initial reporting is not technically correct. I will concede that Urgent care and ER visit reduction is a good thing, but again there are a lot of subjective factors that go into that outcome that can be biased by a non-blinding design.

Regarding the commentary from your link:

“There is very high qPCR confirmed diagnosis. However, the study is open without double-blind which could include bias in patient selection by using an age range that is younger and with limited co morbidities associated with increased risk of hospitalisation and death. However, it establishes a good principle, recovery being fast and limited adverse effects. Also the treatment could be economic and used worldwide – roll on a bigger study and broader age range and in populations with risk factors of severe COVID-19 pneumonia...Next step, a randomised and double-blind clinical study should be undertaken to confirm the findings and particularly including older age adults with more significant comorbidities, with the aim of starting treatment within 4 days of first symptom onset."

Further on: “The measurements and the primary outcome measurements look most effective to demonstrate early recovery – simply showing not requirement for secondary medical care (with defined activities). Concerns are the lack of double blinding the therapy which could involve bias, the inclusion of young adults at low risk of complicated disease and the limited number of individuals with comorbid conditions increasing risk of disease."

- I believe Dr Higenbottam was more eloquent at explaining my main concerns, and I presume he meets your criteria for expertise?

@OtherJen and @former player  : I agree with your points, the trial is promising but needs follow-up with a better design. I wish they had done a trial similar to the dexamethasone studies, which were well-powered and blinded. If they ultimately do, then it's worth it (inaccurate press releases aside). It is important that the university's press releases are as accurate as possible, to avoid the problems from early adoption using weak data last year. Already we see this trial being equated to reducing hospitalizations when in reality it seemed to reduce mild COVID symptoms in a population that does not usually require hospitalization.

ETA: Found the supplemental tables, they don't report what the breakdown of hospitalization vs. urgent care visits was.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 09:51:22 PM by Abe »

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5714 on: March 09, 2021, 06:19:40 PM »
My frustration @Abe came from what I viewed as an inaccurate reading of the study particulars and a quite harsh "this means nothing" response from the board's most vocal COVID reporter that would be accepted as fact from those who can't or won't interpret the study data on their own.

@OtherJen - I like the idea of comparing CTs in a future trial. I haven't read up much on how prevalent fibrosis is for long COVID patients who were not ventilated. I'm curious a larger sample size would show reduced lung issues at days 28+, vs the other random things people are reporting (brain fog, exhaustion etc).

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5715 on: March 09, 2021, 09:13:47 PM »
My frustration @Abe came from what I viewed as an inaccurate reading of the study particulars and a quite harsh "this means nothing" response from the board's most vocal COVID reporter that would be accepted as fact from those who can't or won't interpret the study data on their own.

@OtherJen - I like the idea of comparing CTs in a future trial. I haven't read up much on how prevalent fibrosis is for long COVID patients who were not ventilated. I'm curious a larger sample size would show reduced lung issues at days 28+, vs the other random things people are reporting (brain fog, exhaustion etc).

Sorry for any confusion, I hope my second post clarified my concerns. I don't think the trial means nothing, and I apologize for that initial impression. It is important that new information be disseminated. I am, in turn, frustrated by the ping-pong of groups releasing statements that paper over the important limitations of their study and subsequent confusion of the general population when the real-life outcomes don't live up to the expectations of headlines. I think this study and the associated press release from Oxford is a case in point. A person reading the headline will think "budesonide will keep me from ending up in the hospital" when the study didn't actually demonstrate that. It is a complex issue, but one thing that is always true in science publications is the first draft the authors release is never the final story.

windytrail

• Stubble
« Reply #5716 on: March 17, 2021, 09:24:34 AM »
As expected, people are starting to compare the death/case number outcomes in states to the severity of government restrictions, which raises the question: were lockdowns and mask mandates effective in curbing the virus spread? Was the damage to our mental and economic well-being as a society worth it?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/despite-their-differing-approaches-california-and-florida-have-experienced-almost-identical-outcomes-in-covid-19-case-rates-01615659826
Nearly a year after California Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered the nation’s first statewide shutdown because of the coronavirus, masks remain mandated, indoor dining and other activities are significantly limited, and Disneyland remains closed.

By contrast, Florida has no statewide restrictions. Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis has prohibited municipalities from fining people who refuse to wear masks. And Disney World has been open since July.

Despite their differing approaches, California and Florida have experienced almost identical outcomes in COVID-19 case rates.
[...]

California and Florida both have a COVID-19 case rate of around 8,900 per 100,000 residents since the pandemic began, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

And both rank in the middle among states for COVID-19 death rates — Florida was 27th as of Friday; California was 28th.

[...]

Public health experts said individual choices could help explain the similar outcomes among some states with loose or strict orders from the governor. Some people voluntarily were “being more vigilant in states where the guidelines are more relaxed,” said Thomas Tsai, an assistant professor at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Yet in states with more government mandates, “people generally in public were wearing masks and following the guidelines, but in private they were letting down their guard and less vigilant,” he said.

Imposing strict measures, like forbidding families from visiting grandparents and friends from gathering, is like taking an abstinence-only approach to combating drug use and sexually transmitted disease, said Adalja, of Johns Hopkins University.
Some will comply. But other “people are going to do those activities, anyway,” he said.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5717 on: March 17, 2021, 10:06:09 AM »
I've mentioned this before but analysis like this ^^ is incomplete without measuring compliance rates and examining confounding factors.

As is, this data provides an interesting factoid, and that's about it.

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
« Reply #5718 on: March 17, 2021, 10:13:53 AM »
I've mentioned this before but analysis like this ^^ is incomplete without measuring compliance rates and examining confounding factors.

Yeah, on one hand it's absurd to think lockdowns don't work just from a practical level if followed.

On the other hand it's been shown that among the biggest ways this has spread is from small gatherings in the home with outside members of the house. This would be nearly impossible to enforce and let's be real, many Americans weren't going to follow that for more than a few weeks.

My conservative family did so for a least the first few weeks but were then right back to community kids coming to their house and grandparents coming inside as well.

Us, we've cancelled family visits unless weather was nice and if we were inside windows were open with masks on but that was maybe 3x in the past year.

windytrail

• Stubble
« Reply #5719 on: March 17, 2021, 10:44:43 AM »

Yes, you stated the same thing further up in the thread. Can you please explain further what kind of confounding factors you are imagining? And why would knowing the compliance rate be required?

I would argue that compliance rates can be inferred from the case rates and deaths. We would both agree that complying with lockdowns and mask mandates is effective in preventing virus spread. The question is whether government restrictions work to increase compliance, or are they instead a blunt tool causing more harm than good?

How would you even go about measuring compliance? And if we never find out the compliance rates, are you saying that we cannot draw any useful insights from state-by-state comparisons?

Yeah, on one hand it's absurd to think lockdowns don't work just from a practical level if followed.

This would be begging the question (assuming the the truth of a conclusion instead of supporting it). The question is whether people comply with lockdowns, so you cannot just assume it to be the case.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 10:48:37 AM by windytrail »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5720 on: March 17, 2021, 11:00:24 AM »

Yes, you stated the same thing further up in the thread. Can you please explain further what kind of confounding factors you are imagining? And why would knowing the compliance rate be required?

I would argue that compliance rates can be inferred from the case rates and deaths. We would both agree that complying with lockdowns and mask mandates is effective in preventing virus spread. The question is whether government restrictions work to increase compliance, or are they instead a blunt tool causing more harm than good?

If compliance was poor with government mandates, then the problem would seem to be that the government mandates didn't include appropriate enforcement and erred too heavily on the side of personal freedom for citizens.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5721 on: March 17, 2021, 11:08:23 AM »

How would you even go about measuring compliance? And if we never find out the compliance rates, are you saying that we cannot draw any useful insights from state-by-state comparisons?

This would be begging the question (assuming the the truth of a conclusion instead of supporting it). The question is whether people comply with lockdowns, so you cannot just assume it to be the case.

There are clear differences in infection rates in different areas depending on conditions.  Population density is a big factor, as are proportions of key workers not able to work from home, low incomes and capital resources preventing isolation after diagnosis or known contact, spread within multi-generational households, and so on.  Then you've got different variants of the virus with differing levels of infectivity and a question over how much genetic sampling for those variants has been done.  So you would need to allow for all those factors before getting to the question of mask mandates.  And even with mask mandates there are different types of mandate each with different levels of public information/enforcement and compliance, also to be accounted for.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5722 on: March 17, 2021, 03:34:37 PM »

If compliance was poor with government mandates, then the problem would seem to be that the government mandates didn't include appropriate enforcement and erred too heavily on the side of personal freedom for citizens.

Or the mandates were culturally unsuitable for the population and should have been designed differently...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5723 on: March 17, 2021, 04:11:24 PM »

Or the mandates were culturally unsuitable for the population and should have been designed differently...

Disease prevention doesn't really allow for cultural exceptions.  If your culture is one of aggressively licking each new person's nostrils that you meet as a greeting . . . you may have stop being an asshole for cultural reasons - at least for a little while during the pandemic.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5724 on: March 17, 2021, 04:16:25 PM »
Mandates or no mandates, middle class white people in my neighborhood have mostly been social distancing, wearing masks, and working from home. Poor black people in my neighborhood, otoh, have mostly all been working at in person jobs through the entire pandemic. Maybe because they're desensitized from working in physical jobs with lots of other people for the past year, they appear to have very low compliance rates with public health mandates. I guess, after working every day at Walmart or 7-11 or whatever, dealing with anti-maskers every day, you become less worried about wearing masks and social distancing. My middle class white neighbors and their children usually come out of their houses wearing masks, get right into their cars, and drive off. My black neighbors' kids play with other kids not from their households out on the street in front of our houses, all the time. I've never once seen one of my black neighbors' kids wearing a mask. Sorry, but I don't think 'stricter enforcement' of mask mandates would have made any difference. The only result of that would be locking up or fining poor people who have already been disproportionately bearing the brunt of this pandemic. That just seems cruel to me.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5725 on: March 17, 2021, 04:26:21 PM »
Mandates or no mandates, middle class white people in my neighborhood have mostly been social distancing, wearing masks, and working from home. Poor black people in my neighborhood, otoh, have mostly all been working at in person jobs through the entire pandemic. Maybe because they're desensitized from working in physical jobs with lots of other people for the past year, they appear to have very low compliance rates with public health mandates. I guess, after working every day at Walmart or 7-11 or whatever, dealing with anti-maskers every day, you become less worried about wearing masks and social distancing. My middle class white neighbors and their children usually come out of their houses wearing masks, get right into their cars, and drive off. My black neighbors' kids play with other kids not from their households out on the street in front of our houses, all the time. I've never once seen one of my black neighbors' kids wearing a mask. Sorry, but I don't think 'stricter enforcement' of mask mandates would have made any difference. The only result of that would be locking up or fining poor people who have already been disproportionately bearing the brunt of this pandemic. That just seems cruel to me.

Yeah, the big middle finger that was given to poor people for the whole pandemic made the whole thing a little trickier.  Although I'd argue that really, the pandemic just made certain uncomfortable realities about the society we live in a little more visible.  Poor people have always been screwed over by the system.  The fact that someone is working two jobs to make ends meet and feed their kids as a single mom doesn't mean they don't have to follow the speed limit though.

I vote to either enforce rules that you have, or to not have any rules at all.  Having rules that aren't enforced is the worst of both worlds - you piss off the people who follow them, and you fail to get much real benefit from them.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5726 on: March 17, 2021, 05:05:04 PM »

Yeah, the big middle finger that was given to poor people for the whole pandemic made the whole thing a little trickier.  Although I'd argue that really, the pandemic just made certain uncomfortable realities about the society we live in a little more visible.  Poor people have always been screwed over by the system.  The fact that someone is working two jobs to make ends meet and feed their kids as a single mom doesn't mean they don't have to follow the speed limit though.

I vote to either enforce rules that you have, or to not have any rules at all.  Having rules that aren't enforced is the worst of both worlds - you piss off the people who follow them, and you fail to get much real benefit from them.
Before you get to enforcement you need to start by getting the messaging right but the messaging on masks has been effed up from the start.  And you also have to make mask wearing the logical and easy thing to do, for instance by providing masks to households and as Shane points out by not forcing people into situations where mask wearing seems futile.

Children playing outside are not thought to be a major source of transmission.  Wearing a mask between house and car may be overkill.

FlytilFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5727 on: March 17, 2021, 05:15:35 PM »
The thread seems to be going onto another tangent. The question seemed to be IRT California and Florida, with similar outcomes, was the destruction of the CA economy, kids STILL not in school, etc worth it, considering that Florida has a lower unemployment rate (4.8%), kids are in school, small businesses are still around?

What could increase the effectiveness of mask/distancing mandates is not relevant to the question. It appears to me an apples to apples comparison in terms of population, density, age, etc., within a standard deviation.

As noted above, states differ significantly. Thus  each state should decide what their response should be. Regardless of the negative media, Florida did better than most. Newsome faces recall in CA, and I think his response to the virus is a major factor.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #5728 on: March 17, 2021, 05:32:33 PM »
The thread seems to be going onto another tangent. The question seemed to be IRT California and Florida, with similar outcomes, was the destruction of the CA economy, kids STILL not in school, etc worth it, considering that Florida has a lower unemployment rate (4.8%), kids are in school, small businesses are still around?

I suspect you may be going too far here.  The article mentions FL's unemployment rate being lower than CA's at the beginning of this year, but I see no other measurements of CA's economy being destroyed and FL's not.  Are Californians worse off than Floridians?  I'm perfectly willing to entertain the hypothesis, but having seen no other objective measurements (and being a pretty happy Californian myself), I'm going to at least demand proof for assertions.  What I do know is that my state's budget for next year includes a huge surplus and a "balloon[ing]" rainy day reserve (read some about it and the reasons why here: https://apnews.com/article/gavin-newsom-california-coronavirus-pandemic-8d01e88ceeb4b0bc6cb1fb0d6a8d72b7).  Which is not to say the *people* in CA are all in great shape, but that article that stimulated this discussion said nothing at all about per capita businesses shuttered in both states or rate of increase of food bank usage in each state or etc etc. 

So the question of effectiveness of mandates is one question.  The question of "was it worth it" is a whole other question where the "it" hasn't even been defined.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5729 on: March 17, 2021, 06:13:56 PM »

Before you get to enforcement you need to start by getting the messaging right but the messaging on masks has been effed up from the start.  And you also have to make mask wearing the logical and easy thing to do, for instance by providing masks to households and as Shane points out by not forcing people into situations where mask wearing seems futile.

While I absolutely agree that providing masks and not forcing people into situations where wearing masks seems futile . . . there's still a place for enforcement in this.  If the guy bagging groceries isn't constantly coming into contact in his store with people who are flouting the unenforced mask mandate I suspect the futility would be lessened.  And don't get me wrong, I've seen abuse of enforcement happen far too often to indiscriminately trust that police will always do the right thing . . . but I also realize that at the end of the day a rule doesn't exist if it's not enforced.

Children playing outside are not thought to be a major source of transmission.  Wearing a mask between house and car may be overkill.

Outdoor activities are certainly thought to be safer than indoor ones.  I don't think we have enough data yet to conclusively say that kids don't spread it when playing with other kids though.  Children have shown to be much less likely to show symptoms of covid while they have it, and have been shown to carry significantly higher concentrations of the virus in their nasal passages than adults do.  Both would seem to be a problem when trying to combat spread of a disease.

Agreed that wearing a mask between house and car seems pretty stupid.  Was there someone arguing that this should be enforced?

FlytilFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5730 on: March 17, 2021, 08:18:08 PM »

I suspect you may be going too far here.  The article mentions FL's unemployment rate being lower than CA's at the beginning of this year, but I see no other measurements of CA's economy being destroyed and FL's not.  Are Californians worse off than Floridians?  I'm perfectly willing to entertain the hypothesis, but having seen no other objective measurements (and being a pretty happy Californian myself), I'm going to at least demand proof for assertions.  What I do know is that my state's budget for next year includes a huge surplus and a "balloon[ing]" rainy day reserve (read some about it and the reasons why here: https://apnews.com/article/gavin-newsom-california-coronavirus-pandemic-8d01e88ceeb4b0bc6cb1fb0d6a8d72b7).  Which is not to say the *people* in CA are all in great shape, but that article that stimulated this discussion said nothing at all about per capita businesses shuttered in both states or rate of increase of food bank usage in each state or etc etc. 

So the question of effectiveness of mandates is one question.  The question of "was it worth it" is a whole other question where the "it" hasn't even been defined.

I found more data on California than on Florida. Here's one LA Times article, but I'm not sure of the accuracy or recency of the data (things seem to be changing rapidly!). It does seem to point out that it's really difficult to say that one state did better than the others:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-03-09/florida-vs-california-who-had-better-covid-response

I did find articles saying how badly small businesses are getting hammered in CA, but it's not fair to post them when I couldn't find corresponding FL data. But the unemployment rate is about half of California's (9% vs 4.8%). That's a lot of people out of work.

Still, as I said earlier, it should have been up to each state to deal with their unique positions. Advocates for total lockdown across the U.S., I believe, would have led to more chaos and grief for many more of the American people. Anecdotally, while I have seem some restaurants shuttered, most of the small businesses in my small city seem to be weathering the storm reasonably well. And I think it's no small thing that kids in FL have the ability to go to school.

So I guess I'm conceding positions to you, but still support the decisions that Florida has chosen to make. Best of luck to you, and all.

ETA: This article on CA's rebound: https://www.ocregister.com/2020/12/27/california-economic-rebound-7th-weakest-in-us/
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 08:40:33 PM by FlytilFIRE »

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5731 on: March 17, 2021, 09:22:48 PM »
Through the whole pandemic, my family and I have been carefully complying with our state's robust public health mandates. Thanks largely to FIRE, we are able to easily avoid almost all contact with people outside of our household. But the *reason* we carefully limit our trips to buy groceries and other necessities, always use curbside pickup when available, wear masks, etc., has nothing whatsoever to do with any sort of fear of governmental enforcement of public health mandates, because that doesn't exist. We do it because we're convinced that it's the right thing to do. Although our governor has issued public health mandates throughout the pandemic, there have been, literally, no repercussions that I know of for people who refuse to, for example, wear masks when they enter businesses. People I've talked with who work in supermarkets have all told me the same thing, that every day anti-maskers come into their work places, and their management strictly prohibits employees from confronting them. I think the messaging from the top of our state government has been helpful. Our governor and his health secretary have both done their best, throughout the pandemic, to encourage Pennsylvanians to take Covid seriously and to be as careful as possible to avoid getting sick and infecting others. I guess, I agree with Steve that it doesn't make much sense to have mandates, rules, laws or whatever if you're not going to enforce them. That fact leads me to a different conclusion, though. I think, rather than physically enforcing mandates with fines or arrests, our public health officials and politicians should work harder to get buy in from more people by using their words to convince them to comply voluntarily. In my city, poor black people are the only ones who have walked up to me, during the past year of Covid, with big smiles on their faces, no masks, hands outstretched, offering to shake my hand. I support more robust outreach to convince these people to voluntarily social distance and wear masks. Sorry, but I can't support more aggressive enforcement of public health mandates against poor people. They're already hurting enough. It makes no sense to me to pile fines or jail time on top of the suffering they're already enduring, because of Covid.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5732 on: March 17, 2021, 09:27:10 PM »
California Unemployment rate increase (2019 to 2020): 5.9% (2.40x increase)
Florida Unemployment rate increase (2019 to 2020): 4.4% (2.33x increase)

California bankruptcies per population (2020): 51,146/39,512,223 = 0.13%
Florida bankruptcies per population (2020): 37,452/21,477,737 = 0.17%

California cases per 100k: 9,188
Florida cases per 100k: 9,261

California deaths per 100k: 144
Florida deaths per 100k: 151

Sources: https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/srgune.pdf, https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/florida-coronavirus-cases.html, and https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/california-coronavirus-cases.html

Seems fairly similar economic and health outcomes between the two states, though california has a higher absolute rate of unemployment at baseline and in 2020, while florida has slightly higher rates of cases, deaths and bankruptcy.

I don't think either strategy was especially more effective than the other.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5733 on: March 17, 2021, 11:05:15 PM »
My POV from Michigan...

Our state locked down and issued mask mandates and everything.  The shut down was an absolute joke and everyone immediately scrambled to claim they are essential, and nearly all businesses stayed open.  Restaurant and food service industry was hit hard and they forced them to shut down and reduce capacity.  I think mandatory masks in public businesses had fairly decent compliance because businesses were enforcing it.  Lots of people with masks under their nose, or just wearing face shields, but still pretty decent compliance overall.  A lot of people still thought it was a bullshit hoax, but home depot won't let them shop without a mask on, so they just comply because it's easier to just comply than it is to raise a stink.  Outside of mandatory restaurant shut downs, and masks in public businesses, people just did whatever they wanted.  If you didn't want to get yourself or family sick you followed the recommendations, if you thought it was a hoax/power grab you just lived your life accordingly.  And some people were on the spectrum in between and changed behavior as case numbers increased, so it sort of self regulated.  Almost everyone seemed a lot more careful in we were going through the third wave.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5734 on: March 19, 2021, 03:38:51 PM »

Disease prevention doesn't really allow for cultural exceptions.  If your culture is one of aggressively licking each new person's nostrils that you meet as a greeting . . . you may have stop being an asshole for cultural reasons - at least for a little while during the pandemic.

Hey, don't call me a nostril licker!

The thing about living in a democracy is that the rules are decided a bit more democratically than if you're living in a more authoritarian society.     It sounds like you'd like to see more enforcement against rule breakers.     So... you could compare to Wuhan, where the government was filmed welding doors shut on people who would not comply with the rules.   That's lots of enforcement!

But the point I was trying to make is that when the society is "free" some people will resist new rules, especially ones that seem to be arbitrary.    If the rule makers pay more attention to how they impose the rules and inform people about them, they'll get better compliance.      People in Ottawa were pretty good at following the rules over all - but it is a government city so the residents are used to complying with a bureaucracy.    Did you have the opposite experience in Toronto?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5735 on: March 20, 2021, 08:49:01 AM »

Hey, don't call me a nostril licker!

The thing about living in a democracy is that the rules are decided a bit more democratically than if you're living in a more authoritarian society.     It sounds like you'd like to see more enforcement against rule breakers.     So... you could compare to Wuhan, where the government was filmed welding doors shut on people who would not comply with the rules.   That's lots of enforcement!

But the point I was trying to make is that when the society is "free" some people will resist new rules, especially ones that seem to be arbitrary.    If the rule makers pay more attention to how they impose the rules and inform people about them, they'll get better compliance.      People in Ottawa were pretty good at following the rules over all - but it is a government city so the residents are used to complying with a bureaucracy.    Did you have the opposite experience in Toronto?

Generally, people have been pretty good about following clearly defined rules.  I've seen many occasions of folks being asked to put their mask on properly when they walk into a store without it covering their nose, and one guy being physically thrown out of a store when he refused.  There have been cases on local news of police arresting business owners who refuse to follow reduced numbers/closure guidance.  For things like large gatherings, there have been many huge parties in my neighborhood early on but once police cruisers started showing up at their doors they seem to have tapered off.  The south Asian families have never really socially distanced from or stopped visiting relatives in the neighborhood from what I can see . . . which may be why we have one of the worst case counts in Toronto.  But I also get it - money is tight, a great many of them work in 'essential' service jobs, and the aunts/grandparents are their childcare.

So, what I'm seeing is good compliance when rules are enforced, and little to no compliance when they aren't.  Which is about what you would expect from anything.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5736 on: March 20, 2021, 09:18:49 AM »
A friend/family that has been extremely careful for the last year decided to attend a baby shower event last weekend.  Supposedly everyone was masked and it was outdoors, but someone ended up having the rona and now multiple people have tested positive.  Several of the people that tested positive have been fully vaccinated.

I'm not sure how they found out the first person was positive, and then had a bunch of other people tested and gotten positive results, all within a 1 week span.  Time line is not really matching up with what I would expect, but that's what I've been told via a game of telephone.  Maybe details are missing or something.

Everyone has rona, purple monkey dishwasher. 

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5737 on: March 20, 2021, 09:47:48 AM »
A friend/family that has been extremely careful for the last year decided to attend a baby shower event last weekend.  Supposedly everyone was masked and it was outdoors, but someone ended up having the rona and now multiple people have tested positive.  Several of the people that tested positive have been fully vaccinated.

I'm not sure how they found out the first person was positive, and then had a bunch of other people tested and gotten positive results, all within a 1 week span.  Time line is not really matching up with what I would expect, but that's what I've been told via a game of telephone.  Maybe details are missing or something.

Everyone has rona, purple monkey dishwasher.

"Skinner says the teacher's will crack any minute purple monkey dishwasher"

"Well, we'll show him, especially for that Purple Monkey Dishwasher reference"

Love the Simpson's reference.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5738 on: March 20, 2021, 07:09:17 PM »
Chiming in to add that today was the first day that I found out that someone I know in real life is rabidly anti-Covid vaccination.

She doesn't work outside the home and in fact has had many health challenges in the last 10 years, but told me that she's "done her research" and is convinced that the vaccine is dangerous.  Fortunately she lives across the country and we only have sporadic contact via email so there's no chance of physical interaction.
But the kicker is her spouse is a physician, so now I'm wondering if the spouse agrees with her (!) or just doesn't care if she gets the vaccine or not for some other reason? 

Second info point, related to the topic, was a discussion on the radio of the statistic that 40% of Republicans have said they don't intend to get the vaccine.  If that's just their initial reaction, or if they will continue to flatly refuse as this pandemic continues, remains to be seen.

My point is that while the U.S. is frantically trying to vaccinate as many as possible while we all look nervously at Europe for what's happening with the Covid variants, these Covidiots are really making me think we'll continue to be in a pandemic up and down hell for many months to come.

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
« Reply #5739 on: March 21, 2021, 06:32:10 AM »
Chiming in to add that today was the first day that I found out that someone I know in real life is rabidly anti-Covid vaccination.
was a discussion on the radio of the statistic that 40% of Republicans have said they don't intend to get the vaccine.  If that's just their initial reaction, or if they will continue to flatly refuse as this pandemic continues, remains to be seen.

might be time to pay people to get it, retro for those already ofc

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5740 on: March 22, 2021, 04:01:49 PM »
As EU, will have a vaccination passport that will enable you to travel without taking Corona tests, I think that will drive some vaccinationsceptics to get vaccinated. Who doesn’t want to get out of the house!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #5741 on: March 22, 2021, 04:29:38 PM »
was a discussion on the radio of the statistic that 40% of Republicans have said they don't intend to get the vaccine.  If that's just their initial reaction, or if they will continue to flatly refuse as this pandemic continues, remains to be seen.

might be time to pay people to get it, retro for those already ofc

Krispy Kreme is offering free donuts for those vaxxed!  Apparently they invite people to come get a free donut even every single day through 2021, so that's some compensation!

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5742 on: March 22, 2021, 06:39:15 PM »
I saw a guy standing at a busy intersection on Sunday with a hand-written sign saying something along the lines of "No to fascism, no to masks, no to vaccines, 2+2=4"

Not very convincing argument. I happened to see him on the way to and from getting my second vaccine dose. I thought about yelling something out the window, but I had one of my kids in the car with me.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #5743 on: March 22, 2021, 06:54:10 PM »

Krispy Kreme is offering free donuts for those vaxxed!  Apparently they invite people to come get a free donut even every single day through 2021, so that's some compensation!

I have managed to ween myself off KK for a couple of years but I think my wife and I might have to go and get one just to celebrate.

Thankfully I no longer live 1 block from KK or this could be bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5744 on: March 22, 2021, 07:34:45 PM »
It's kind of early, but so far no spike in cases after Governor Abbott voluntold us to participate in the mask-mandate lifting experiment he came up with.

Anecdotally, most people are still wearing masks indoors in my part of Houston. We do have a lot of healthcare workers, so that isn't too surprising. However, friends who live in the suburbs are seeing the same thing.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #5745 on: March 22, 2021, 07:49:37 PM »
I find it interesting that in my line of work, the folks agitating to “go back to normal“ the most vociferously are over the age of 80. As in they don’t wanna do anything in person if they have to wear a mask, or exercise precautions. It’s a diminishing the small subset of the community that I work with, but I suspect that it’s going to be a continuing challenge as we get closer to “normal” whatever that looks like

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5746 on: March 22, 2021, 08:09:23 PM »
I find it interesting that in my line of work, the folks agitating to “go back to normal“ the most vociferously are over the age of 80. As in they don’t wanna do anything in person if they have to wear a mask, or exercise precautions. It’s a diminishing the small subset of the community that I work with, but I suspect that it’s going to be a continuing challenge as we get closer to “normal” whatever that looks like

Wow.  Not here.  Before our Zoom choir practice we were all talking about who has already had a first shot and when we would be eligible as the age limit comes down.  We want to sing together, we will be a 100% vaccinated group.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5747 on: March 22, 2021, 09:06:12 PM »
It's kind of early, but so far no spike in cases after Governor Abbott voluntold us to participate in the mask-mandate lifting experiment he came up with.

Anecdotally, most people are still wearing masks indoors in my part of Houston. We do have a lot of healthcare workers, so that isn't too surprising. However, friends who live in the suburbs are seeing the same thing.

Probably too early to say. I think the opening of all businesses is probably a bigger factor than the mask mandate, since most people will continue to wear/not wear as they were before anyway. Quite a few people will start going to the gym/spa/etc if it's open again, though.

-W

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5748 on: March 23, 2021, 02:16:48 AM »
I think at some stage with the availability of the vaccine being what it is we need to say 'ok, we are re-opening. If you are high risk you have 28 days to either get yourself vaccinated or just avoid people from now on (in simplified terms)' - that is, we need to start moving from a community model of risk to an individual model of risk - the same way we treat the flu.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5749 on: March 23, 2021, 04:02:58 AM »
I think at some stage with the availability of the vaccine being what it is we need to say 'ok, we are re-opening. If you are high risk you have 28 days to either get yourself vaccinated or just avoid people from now on (in simplified terms)' - that is, we need to start moving from a community model of risk to an individual model of risk - the same way we treat the flu.
Didn't you propose the same thing a year ago but without vaccines?