Author Topic: How far is your commute?  (Read 31983 times)

• Bristles
Re: How far is your commute?
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2013, 04:06:50 PM »
When I was in the military, I usually lived 1-3 miles from work.  Now I drive 12 miles, then take the metro for 35 minutes and then walk for 10 minutes.  It's not great, but in time I will get to work at home 1-2 days per week.

Sometimes I watch movies on the train, which I really enjoy.

A person on the same street as me does the same commute as me, and I would like to carpool with him 1-2 days per week, but my gut tells me he isn't interested.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2013, 07:09:44 PM »
JeffL:
Ask him! He might say no, but he might say yes.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2013, 01:37:39 PM »
Mine is a lot longer than I wish, but I'm not willing to live in the middle of nowhere where our factory is located... So it ends up being 8 min walking, 25 min train and 10 min of bus (including time between the bus and the train). Total distance about 20 miles, but at least I'm not driving it. It is relatively cheap with public transport here being heavily subsidised (ca 3 $/day).

valk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2013, 11:51:04 PM »
Currently I drive 26 miles to work and I do it in an Audi A5. 
In 3 months I am moving to 1.5 miles away from my job and selling off my car, getting a 5K honda.

jat9449

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2013, 02:48:09 PM »
I bike exactly 1 mile one way. But I also bike home for lunch, so it's a great 4 miles each day :)

Storypage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2013, 06:51:08 PM »

7 minute leisurely walk, 5 minute at a brisk pace.

kit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2013, 07:56:02 PM »
2.4 km (1.5 mi) one way, 3 km (1.8 mi) a nicer way. 30 minutes door to door no matter how the lights catch me on my walk! Living within walking distance was very intentional, even though it puts me in kind of a crappy neighborhood. The public transit system in Sydney is heavily weighted to make far away commutes not much more expensive than the insane rates for close-in commuters, so the moment I go outside walking distance the cost jumps at least $5/day for me.

I could bike and do enjoy biking but I just don't find it much faster than walking in the central city during rush hour and I prefer to be able to relax and listen to music while I walk.

Mola

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2013, 09:37:19 PM »
56 miles one way, although its on a commuter van so the environmental impact is lessened if not the financial.  And working closer would mean 50% less pay and moving closer would mean double the mortgage. Retiring early though? Priceless.

Did i win the longest posted?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:39:26 PM by Mola »

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2013, 08:23:53 AM »
Our 'commutes' are incredibly short. I spent 3 years commuting 1.5 hours or about 85 miles at least once a week to get my graduate degree. I always wanted to be one of those kids who could walk to school, so we chose our apartment location very specifically to be near my job and DH's university when we got married about 5 years ago. One of my favorite quotes: you're not stuck in traffic, you are traffic.

My commute by car: .7 miles or about 10 city blocks through our residential neighborhood and across a highway (one stop light), typically about 6 minutes, plus another 1 block walk from back of the parking lot to staff entrance, another few minutes. My commute on foot: .6 miles or about 8 blocks through my neighborhood, walking through a park with a lake, across a busy highway (has a pedestrian light), about 12 minutes. If I walk fast, it takes just about the same amount of time to walk or bike as it does to drive.

Bonus: I work at a public library and treat it as my personal library, so we rarely buy books, DVDs, etc. :)

DH's commute: 1 mile, maybe 10 minutes (two lights) by car or bike. Walking isn't a good option since he often isn't off work until midnight or later, and biking isn't always a good idea for the same reason. When DH starts grad school this fall, he'll be commuting about 1/2 a mile, or about 7 blocks.

teacherman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2013, 11:49:43 AM »
My wife and I are both teachers at the same school. It's a ~16 mile drive, one-way. We also host two international students who go to the school. So it's four of us in an '04 Chevy Impala (until it dies, and will be replaced w/ a more efficient commuter car) driving 32 miles per day.

superheropunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • former credit addict
« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2013, 11:53:50 AM »
The problem when the replies gets this voluminous is the conversation becomes almost meaningless.

meadpointofview

« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2013, 01:14:16 PM »
Used to be 41 miles 1 way.  Now I am working 16 miles 1 way.  Still too long but much better.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2013, 06:56:04 AM »
The problem when the replies gets this voluminous is the conversation becomes almost meaningless.

Off-topic, but... Really? I've been part of forums where threads go up to 5-10 pages if somebody has a lot of questions and people want to offer their help. We even have a 'stickied' thread of photos that is currently 278 pages. It's a forum for lady temptations. :) I think more responses are helpful, not less. It's a larger sample size, even though it's a self-selected sample, and it can help newcomers (like me) relate to those who have been posting a long time.

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2013, 04:19:04 PM »
Mine is pretty far, 20 or so miles by car one way, 18 by bike.

Bike route: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/213912357

kelly1mm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2013, 08:47:45 PM »
Kind of hard to explain but here it goes

about 50% of my income is from a w-2 job at home (4 steps from bedroom to office), 5 months a year
25% of income from 1 day a week I run a court house clinic 7 miles each way (mileage deductible on schedule C)
25 % of income 1 day a week I run another court clinic 110 miles EACH WAY (mileage deductible on schedule C)

So, you could say 0 commute miles as they are a write off, or, as I count it 11934 miles a year.

RedMaple

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2013, 09:04:21 PM »
Takes me roughly 30 minutes door to door using public transportation; if I didn't have to transfer trains it would be faster. I've seen a few people bike, but I find it too dangerous... too many pedestrians to ride on the side walk and too many aggressive drivers to ride on the street.

camrg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2013, 09:13:36 PM »
Its a not very wallet- or environment-friendly 15 miles and 2500 vertical feet each way. My choice was to live in a small, rural Nevada town (pretty brown and dry) or up at the top of the mountain, surrounded by pine trees and with a view of the Lake Tahoe basin. It costs me in time and gas, and I'm not perfectly comfortable with it, but the rent is roughly the same and the quality of life difference is unusually drastic...

MakingSenseofCents

• Bristles
    • Making Sense of Cents
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2013, 09:37:13 AM »
For my online side hustles that I have, my commute is nothing! And I love that.

For my office job, my commute is around 12 miles - or 15 minutes. Can't bike there because I'd have to cross a river and the only way across is via highway. Would be scary to me.

myDogIsFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2013, 01:33:14 PM »
3.4 miles.  I usually bike it but I can take public transportation or bum a ride from my fiancee if needed.  The only issue I have is sweat management, and this is getting tougher as summer arrives in full force.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2013, 07:52:19 PM »
These days I'm commuting entirely by (secondhand) electric motorbike - it's lazy but sweat-free for the summer, so I show up looking professional. I just charge the batteries at home at night, or bring along the small charger if I'm doing a longer ride.

10ish miles r/t to work, and several miles more r/t for extra tutoring in the evenings.

Whoshighpitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2013, 12:52:57 PM »
Mine is 25 miles each way.  DW's is 37 miles each way (in the other direction.)  We live out in the sticks, I work downtown, she works at a nuke plant.

Almost exactly the same as us.  Wife drives 23 each way and I do 38 each way.

acanthurus

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2013, 01:31:07 PM »
77.5 miles each way. About 3 hours round trip. I drive a very comfy beater sedan with well over 200k miles on it and everything on it is broken except for the drivetrain it seems. I listen to NPR, a subscription music service, Spanish language lesson tapes, etc. Was supposed to be short term, but ended up being 11 months now I think? Doesn't matter though, new job offer is on the way and will be moving. Will hopefully net 15k+ more per annum and commute should be less than 20 minutes each way. Gotta figure out where I want to live first...

thegreenworkbench

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: June 05, 2013, 01:32:08 PM »
14 miles driving in a paid for 06 Honda Civic.  It takes about 25 minutes in the morning and 35 in the afternoon.  I listen to audiobooks borrowed from the library and love that part of the commute.  In my job, living close to work means living next to quick cash places, strip clubs, used car dealerships, low rent apartments, bars, fast food joints, and generally not nice neighborhoods.  If that is not enough, I have other reasons to seperate myself from work as well.  Rented house at a great deal for the area and kids are in the best local public schools (although even those require lots of supplemental instruction and learning at home).  Wife subs at local schools within walking distance.

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2013, 01:50:26 PM »
Currently I live 8 miles away from work and there are lots of lights so it takes about 45 minutes to bike there.  In Sept I will be moving closer to work about 4 miles away, but I will also be working remotely half of the time.

cbr shadow

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2013, 03:55:48 PM »
Wow I'm surprised at some of the short commutes where people drive still.  I swear once you bike 1-2 times you'll be hooked! :)

My commute is 10 miles each way through the suburbs.  I have to cross a few major streets but no big deal.  It's a really nice commute because I can take a short detour and go through a forest preserve that takes me about 2 miles towards work.  I'd say 90% of the time I go that route.  I only started biking 3 weeks ago, but I'm loving it so far.  How many of your coworkers can say the commute in to work is the best part of their day?

Edit: I meant to mention, this 10 miles takes 40 minutes by bike and 25-50 minutes by car depending on traffic.  That means sometimes it's FASTER to take the bike than it is to take the car.  Also going by bike is much more consistent - I know it'll take me 40 minutes no matter how much traffic there is.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:28:25 AM by cbr shadow »

bobmicro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2013, 08:09:53 PM »
Commute is about 8 km, one way.  At a leisurely pace, it takes about 20-25 minutes by bike.   By car it takes about 8-10 minutes. 

mostlyeels

« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2013, 04:48:13 AM »
Mine's about 25 minutes walk each way.  Nothing picturesque or scenic unfortunately, as it's down one of the busiest roads in the city, but somehow I've learnt to tune it out.  I find it's the perfect way to get my brain into "work mode", and a great way to leave work behind on the way home too.

PantsOnFire

• Stubble
« Reply #127 on: June 06, 2013, 07:59:55 AM »
About 9 miles.  Unfortunately biking would be hard since I would have to go some really tough neighborhoods. 

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
    • Radical Personal Finance
« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2013, 08:57:47 AM »
0.38 miles.  9-minute walk, door to desk; 3.5 minute bike ride.

:)

rightstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2013, 10:27:52 AM »
Currently driving 35 miles one way in my 2 year old Altima.  I've been experimenting with hypermiling (tires at 40# and coasting in neutral) and have improved my mileage from 31 to 36 mpg!

The_Captain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • From Nothing to Something
« Reply #130 on: June 06, 2013, 06:40:59 PM »
I spent a year and a half living with my Dad, so my commute was something like 80km each way via bus + train. (2 hours or so)

After that drove me crazy I eventually moved out to the same city as my job so now it's only a 6km, 19 minute bike ride. 35 minute by subway or streetcar though, which I'll have to do in the winter. (I promised my girlfriend I'd put the bike away once the ice and snow came, since people die then)

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: June 06, 2013, 07:36:26 PM »
About 20 miles. I biked home from work during rush hour/ on a weekday for the first time today! Takes 2 hours due to hills, so my plan is to drive there with bike, bike home, bike back the next day, drive bike home, etc.

I actually cried because I was so proud of myself when I made it past the "scary" part today and it wasn't as bad as I expected. (Freeway-style road with 45-65 speed limit and freeway ramps galore. It is my only north/south option. It has a wide bike lane but the speeds are still pretty terrifying!)

Lina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2013, 12:30:37 AM »

After that drove me crazy I eventually moved out to the same city as my job so now it's only a 6km, 19 minute bike ride. 35 minute by subway or streetcar though, which I'll have to do in the winter. (I promised my girlfriend I'd put the bike away once the ice and snow came, since people die then)

If you put on winter tires on the bike you can bike through the winter. I use the tires during winter and they work great with ice, little less great with snow but I find it ok.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Great Job!
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2013, 06:01:28 AM »
About 20 miles. I biked home from work during rush hour/ on a weekday for the first time today! Takes 2 hours due to hills, so my plan is to drive there with bike, bike home, bike back the next day, drive bike home, etc.

I actually cried because I was so proud of myself when I made it past the "scary" part today and it wasn't as bad as I expected. (Freeway-style road with 45-65 speed limit and freeway ramps galore. It is my only north/south option. It has a wide bike lane but the speeds are still pretty terrifying!)

Terrific job! Welcome to the world of bike commuting!

Stachebound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2013, 08:30:56 PM »
Wrk at home 3 days per week - other two days, drive 20-120 miles.....

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
Re: Great Job!
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2013, 09:44:44 AM »

Terrific job! Welcome to the world of bike commuting!

Thanks!